• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (DS) coming to the US as Sands of Destruction

Volcynika

I still can't find the PR, but this is what I found on Sega's FTP, the announcement screens:

4h2gc7.jpg

15md8ap.jpg

16ihbvt.jpg

fbaobb.jpg

167m26h.jpg

Still trying to find the release date, or at least something on it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've never understood changing titles that are already in English...

ONOEZIKNEWGAMESTURNDKIDZIN2TERRORITSLOOKTHISGAMEISTEACHINGTHEMTODESTROYTHEWORLDCANTYOUSEE???? is most likely the reason...

Volcynika

duckroll said:
That's a really shitty font. Hopefully it's all temp stuff. Taupy? Really? Wtf.

I have no clue. I can't find the announcement PR anywhere. So they probably put up the screens before the PR, which I expect to go up tomorrow. :lol

duckroll

Forkball said:
Sort of a strange name change. Does sand play a big part in this game or something?

Yes. The new title is fine. I'm more worried about the font because that looks really bad. >_<

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
RurouniZel said:
I've never understood changing titles that are already in English...

ONOEZIKNEWGAMESTURNDKIDZIN2TERRORITSLOOKTHISGAMEISTEACHINGTHEMTODESTROYTHEWORLDCANTYOUSEE???? is most likely the reason...

English that sounds good to Japanese isn't the same as English that sounds good to English speakers.

Case in point Biohazard -> Resident Evil. Biohazard sounds generic and gives vibes of people in biohazard suits or nuclear stuff, and while I have no idea why it's called Resident Evil, it's distinct and not generic, and I prefer it.

"World Destruction" doesn't honestly sound that great. That's just less graceful way to say "Armageddon" which would have sounded too generic.

That being said, I had no idea that sand could be so deadly!

Volcynika

Remember, some things are being altered for the US release: (from Siliconera)

A complete US version is on the table which includes famed composer Yasunori Mitsuda rewriting songs and making them original for the US release. The difficulty of the game may also be altered since Imageepoch is taking feedback from players outside of Japan.

xfactor

Banned
Its ironic how Sega was trying to kill Nintendo few gen ago and now they seems to be making every effort to make the DS be the handheld to own in the market :D

xfactor said:
Its ironic how Sega was trying to kill Nintendo few gen ago and now they seems to be making every effort to make the DS be the handheld to own in the market :D

Speaking of that, I guess it's too soon to be wondering if 7th Dragon and PS0 will also be released in English.

I don't know. I guess I'll bite since I'm a sucker for TJRPG's. Though I have heard negativity from import players, then again I heard negativity from import players about The World Ends With You as well.

jeremy1456

Flying_Phoenix said:
I don't know. I guess I'll bite since I'm a sucker for TJRPG's. Though I have heard negativity from import players, then again I heard negativity from import players about The World Ends With You as well.

What exactly is a TJRPG?

jeremy1456 said:
Did importers enjoy this one?

The people whose opinions I care about did, at least. :lol

Die Squirrel Die said:
Speaking of that, I guess it's too soon to be wondering if 7th Dragon and PS0 will also be released in English.

There's like zero chance 7th Dragon won't make it out here.

jeremy1456

kiruyama said:
:lol my guess would be turn-based JRPG

anyways, i've been looking forward to this for a looong time. cannot wait

Ahh yes that would make sense. Kind of.

Turn-based is two words, come on people.

Volcynika

zurra said:
The font isn't that great, but it's bearable. I'm glad we're getting it in English at all.

We knew we'd be getting it in English eventually, just no idea when. And we still have no idea when, since Sega sucks at releasing the PR (the folder even says December 4th announcement, and I see nothing!)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sega's FTP strikes again?

xfactor said:
They're going to be saving the Wii in 2009 too. Sega does what Nintendon't!

xfactor

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:

Well...at least Infinite Space is confirmed and they got done Sonic Chronicles a while ago.

In Japan:
Blazer Drive
Phantasy Star Zero
Shining Force Feather
Card de Asobu! Hajimete no DS
Seventh Dragon

These few games will be released in the US in future:
Blue Dragon +
DQ5
Legacy of Ys
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Suikoden Tierkreis
DQ9

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
Pokemon
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time

Emotions

xfactor said:
Well...at least Infinite Space is confirmed and they got done Sonic Chronicles a while ago.

In Japan:
Blazer Drive
Phantasy Star Zero
Shining Force Feather
Card de Asobu! Hajimete no DS
Seventh Dragon

Blazer Drive looks nice . I wonder if it has any chances of coming over .... Dinosaur King did...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Excellent. Though it kind of sounds like something out of a pseudo-modern Prince of Persia game.

jeremy1456 said:
What exactly is a TJRPG?

Traditional JRPG

You know the formula this game takes from (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Lunfia, Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia).

JRPG refers to Japanese Role Playing Games as a whole (Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Chronicles, Shin Megami Tensei, Odin Sphere, Etc.)

It's the same with Traditional Computer (or Western) RPG with games like Ultimate IX or Baldur's Gate.

And WRPG with games like (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Fable, The Elder Scrolls, Diablo, etc.)

Vyse The Legend said:
Traditional JRPG.

Thanks.

xfactor said:

Seriously what the hell is up with this game? Wasn't it suppose to release THIS Fall?

zurra

Volcynika said:
We knew we'd be getting it in English eventually, just no idea when. And we still have no idea when, since Sega sucks at releasing the PR (the folder even says December 4th announcement, and I see nothing!)
True, I forgot about that previous article. Something official (with a DATE!!!) is always nice even if, as is the case right now, it lacks a certain "official" aspect.

Volcynika

Ok. Well, I've been keeping an eye out for the press release, but all I see are other sites reporting the name change and all that (and they source us or that banned site :(, except for one. Though one place says the images might be photoshopped :lol)

I'm heading to class, but I'll look around more if it's not found by the time I get back.

Macstorm

Flying_Phoenix said:

Seriously what the hell is up with this game? Wasn't it suppose to release THIS Fall?
We got invited into Studio Archcraft to try the game out in late Nov. and posted an impression on it. It's in Nintendo LotCheck right now, so we should hear something soon.

Sands of Destruction, eh? As long as it's fun, I'm game.

Top Bottom