• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: "The intended platforms Unreal Engine 4 is aimed at havent even been announced"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tim Sweeney dropped an interesting note in an interview with Gamasutra posted today.

Gamasutra said:
Gamasutra: I know it's under wraps, but you guys are probably feeling pretty okay about Unreal Engine 4.

Tim Sweeney: Yeah, we're starting a behind-closed-doors showing of the engine to developers; this is part of our very early ramp-up cycle. We went through this cycle with Unreal Engine 3 starting in 2003 and 2004. At some point we'll make public announcements and ramp up to the point where developers are shipping games, but it's very early right now. We're aiming very high, and the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced.
Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/169845/the_future_according_to_epics_tim_.php

He has many more interesting thoughts through the link, with quite a few being things he hasn't expressed before.

Linkhero1

Before people say no Wii U support. He says "intended platforms." Wii U might not have been the intended platform for UE4, but may run it at the lowest setting. All speculation of course.

Ezduo

Banned
Guess I'm right to continue to keep my Wii U power expectations low.

Before people say no Wii U support. He says "intended platforms." Wii U might not have been the intended platform for UE4, but may run it at the lowest setting. All speculation of course.
Sounds like reaching at this point.

Linkhero1

Guess I'm right to continue to keep my Wii U power expectations low.

Sounds like reaching at this point.

Like I said, it's just speculation based on what he said. He didn't outright deny the Wii U. Come E3, we'll find out hopefully.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'll believe it when I see it

What am I even saying

DSN2K

people need to remember we were seeing UE2 games on 360 and PS3 in the early years. I expect to see many developers stick with UE3 for next gen as well. First UE4 game for next gen consoles wont come until at least year 2 of the next cycle imo.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, by the time UE4 games start arriving on these 'unannounced platforms' the iPad will probably be more powerful than Wii U.

i-Lo

3DS is the only real answer.

And as for "no brainers" it'll be PC, PS4, XB3 and perhaps WiiMetoo

Mik2121

WiiU will probably be able to run UE4, just not be able to use a lot of the improvements it got from UE3. In fact, companies will also be able to just use UE3 for PS4 and the next XBox (the Samaritan demo was done in UE3).

And no, iOS platforms are probably not the intended or aimed platform for UE4, even though companies will be able to use the engine to create stuff for those platforms.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait to see next gen games running on UE4, Cryengine 3-4, Frostbite 2-3, etc.

Next gen will be glorious.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
That means PC's built before 2014 won't be able to run it!? (Since Maxwell is already announced).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They want it to receive ports of the majority of next-gen multiplatform games.

Not going to matter for the first few years of next generation. The 2nd half, though, it will be an issue.

Would be confirmation that regardless, the Wii U is a true next gen device.

Why can't people just be happy in the reality that Nintendo does Nintendo, and if you want all the bro shooters the Wii is obviously not the best choice?

They want it to receive ports of the majority of next-gen multiplatform games.

So it can receives ports later down the line and not be left out.

But that is not going to happen, regardless of UE4 being on the WiiU. Maybe a few, but if a publisher doesn't think that platform is going to make money from the port, it won't happen. Not to mention these next gen consoles are almost certainly going to be far more powerful than the WiiU, so ports would require a fair amount of effort. Similarly to the Call of Duty games for the Wii, whatever ports end up even happening will be bastardized versions made by some B team. Am I wrong?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not going to matter for the first few years of next generation. The 2nd half, though, it will be an issue.
The second half of the generation is where the Wii lineup's weakness next to PS360 really started to show. If PS4/720 games can easily be scaled down to Wii U it could do a lot to prevent a repeat of that scenario.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WiiU will probably be able to run UE4, just not be able to use a lot of the improvements it got from UE3. In fact, companies will also be able to just use UE3 for PS4 and the next XBox (the Samaritan demo was done in UE3).

And no, iOS platforms are probably not the intended or aimed platform for UE4, even though companies will be able to use the engine to create stuff for those platforms.
Why not just use UE3.0 in those cases then?

Linkhero1

Why can't people just be happy in the reality that Nintendo does Nintendo, and if you want all the bro shooters the Wii is obviously not the best choice?

This has nothing to do with "bro shooters" and more to do with third party support...

The Wii barely had any third party support for a reason. If they miss out on a big engine such as UE4, they're going to miss out on third party support.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2-4 years seems kind of extremely long to use an old engine for if you're seriously humoring changing at all.

I agree, which is why I said it will be an issue during the 2nd half of its life.

We're aiming very high, and the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced.

Certainly doesn't sound like he is talking about a console that was announced last year and launching later this year.

slider

Interesting of course and I think Sweeney's a master of this sort of thing. But I am getting serious deja vu ref his statement. I'm gonna search... might help build a more complete picture.

Certainly doesn't sound like he is talking about a console that was announced last year and launching later this year.

Or just be fucking with us and mean that epic haven't announced which platforms not that the platforms haven't been announced by the manufacturers

donny2112

No, UE4 was not created to run on Wii U. That should've been obvious. The question is if it'll still support running on Wii U, even though it's not what they designed it for. Hopefully Nintendo's doing good talks with Epic to figure out the barebones requirement to at least make somewhat easy ports possible on the system.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Perhaps because developers want to take advantage of the new features of UE4 to create graphically competitive PS4/720/PC SKUs, but also want the Wii U port money.
Seems like it would be more efficient to create a whole new UE3.0 SKU for the Wii U and backport it to the 360 and PS3 as well. But even that might cease to be financially viable a few years down the line.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it would be more efficient to create a whole new UE3.0 SKU for the Wii U and backport it to the 360 and PS3 as well. But even that might cease to be financially viable a few years down the line.
Wii U will be a current platform with an active user base purchasing games for the system. I very much doubt Xbox 360 and especially PS3 will have the market tail of PS2.

Plinko

No, UE4 was not created to run on Wii U. That should've been obvious. The question is if it'll still support running on Wii U, even though it's not what they designed it for. Hopefully Nintendo's doing good talks with Epic to figure out the barebones requirement to at least make somewhat easy ports possible on the system.

This right here.

Top Bottom