• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt |OT| thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening

wwm0nkey

The mighty game is free after you buy it right? Bought it when I woke up but had to rush to school before I could check the Mighty price.

Kyuur

Nope, you also fail at comprehension. I'm not implying anything. I'm just saying that when the script is no longer what the Japanese voice is saying at all, it makes no sense to keep the voices.

I disagree. Have you ever played a game where they use gibberish voices/squeaks for character talking? That is done because character voices give character to a game. Even if I have no idea what they're saying, I'd prefer to have voices in the game, regardless of if they match up with what I'm reading. You get a lot simply from tone and inflections.

I'll download this as soon as I get home. Can't wait! Can someone comment on the length of the game, though? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Is it comparable to MMZ in terms of length?

This was from earlier in the thread to give an idea on length:

I played at a fairly leisurely pace and completed the game at 6 hours and 25 minutes. Although about 40 minutes of that was tracking down the gems I missed.

There's more replay to be had from trying to speed through and do that score attack stuff, although it isn't an official mode and is entirely self-imposed.

zroid

Banned
So happy I got to download this today lol. If it came out at noon like I expected, it would've been too late!

I see what people from the Japanese impressions thread were talking about in regards to the game being more enjoyable when dashing through levels at full tilt. Considering that's my general playstyle in the MMX/Zero games, I'm right at home here.

That being said, this game is a whole new beast compared to the aforementioned series. Loving it so far.

PsionBolt

I'm having a fantastic time so far. Beat the intro stage and one more (the media tower, the green one). Got a gun that seems quite a bit better than the default.
I've also gone back and beaten the intro stage twice more while completing challenges. They're pretty fun. Simple stuff like "clear the stage in under 7 minutes", to slightly more difficult stuff like "beat the miniboss in one cycle", to stage-specific things. The "don't destroy any shutters" challenge in the intro stage gave me quite a nice flashback to Mega Man X2!
Ranking seems to be pretty strict - I haven't managed to get an S yet, only As.

Edit - Double jump GET!

I have a question: To those of you that bought the game already, in what form does Mighty Gunvolt come? Is it a download code or does it immediately start downloading after the main game finishes downloading?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have a question: To those of you that bought the game already, in what form does Mighty Gunvolt come? Is it a download code or does it immediately start downloading after the main game finishes downloading?
I think you need to check the receipt in your account on the eShop to find a download code. Let me quick buy the game & see.

Edit: I selected "Download Later" & it just gave me the code to use, along with a button that allows me to instantly use it. I'm guessing if you chose to download now, you get the code after it finishes.

So far only played the intro stage and the aquatic level, and I love it, there is something really satisfying when you get 1000 points and the song kicks in.

PsionBolt

Finally managed an S-rank, and what do I see? A new challenge - "get an S+"?!
That's going to have to wait. My hands are starting to hurt. Using the face buttons, D-pad, and both shoulders with an original 3DS is not the most comfortable control scheme in the world.

I LOVE this game! It feels so good to play a new MMZ/ZX style game after so long.

The movement options are there, the flashfield mechanic is fantastic and I love the ranking/scoring system. Can't wait to play more!

yaesir

Any idea on how long the game is? I really want to know because i'm torn between picking up the capcom games on sale or this.

Wait, you have to manually copy down the Mighty Gunvolt code from your non-emailed eShop receipt within the eShop? Is that process even explained anywhere? Seems pretty counter-intuitive and cumbersome, I would've never known I got the game free if I didn't pop in here and read the thread!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, you have to manually copy down the Mighty Gunvolt code from your non-emailed eShop receipt within the eShop? Is that process even explained anywhere? Seems pretty counter-intuitive and cumbersome, I would've never known I got the game free if I didn't pop in here and read the thread!
No, there'll be a button that you can press that'll automatically use it & you'll be taken to the confirm page for Mighty Gunvolt. It's just there if you wish to give the code away or plan on using it later.

mauaus

No, there'll be a button that you can press that'll automatically use it & you'll be taken to the confirm page for Mighty Gunvolt. It's just there if you wish to give the code away or plan on using it later.

Whoa i didnt see any code or get an email? Where can i find this code now?

Where? I didn't get a button through the purchase process; I initially did "Download Now" but have been having issues with that so switched to "Download Later."
Whoa i didnt see any code or get an email? Where can i find this code now?
In your Settings -> Account Activity on the eShop itself. Go to your ASG receipt.

I LOVE this game! It feels so good to play a new MMZ/ZX style game after so long.

The movement options are there, the flashfield mechanic is fantastic and I love the ranking/scoring system. Can't wait to play more!

This is good to hear for sure. I'm itching for this game and I'll be downloading it tonight after work. Need more MMZ/Inti action in my life.

I'm having a fantastic time so far. Beat the intro stage and one more (the media tower, the green one). Got a gun that seems quite a bit better than the default.
I've also gone back and beaten the intro stage twice more while completing challenges. They're pretty fun. Simple stuff like "clear the stage in under 7 minutes", to slightly more difficult stuff like "beat the miniboss in one cycle", to stage-specific things. The "don't destroy any shutters" challenge in the intro stage gave me quite a nice flashback to Mega Man X2!
Ranking seems to be pretty strict - I haven't managed to get an S yet, only As.

Edit - Double jump GET!

wait till you get quad jump or even higher jump times :p

For those on the fence here is my review: http://backinmyplay.com/review-azure-striker-gunvolt-3ds/

I really loved it. The best way I can describe it is like a new 2D Sega Saturn game. Hell of a value at $15 too, if that is something you consider.

Read it and realized there's a miniscule mistake. The highest rank is S+, not S. The equivalent in JP version is SS. Great review btw

mauaus

Where? I didn't get a button through the purchase process; I initially did "Download Now" but have been having issues with that so switched to "Download Later."

In your Settings -> Account Activity on the eShop itself. Go to your ASG receipt.

Sweet! thanks!!

duckroll

I had some serious crashing issues with the game earlier on. It might be because I just upgraded to a much larger microSD-in-SD-adapter the other day. I've reverted to my old SD card and deleted a bunch of stuff, redownloaded the game, seems fine now. Played through the first mission again. I kinda dig it. The lack of fatal challenge is a bit disappointing, but I really like the controls and motion. It flows well, and when you get the hang of it and have a rhythm going it plays really well. The game does a good job of making you feel really shitty when you actually get hit too, which adds to the motivation of going for no-hit runs.

The End

So I played a little bit on my lunch break.

As a fan of the MMZ/ZX games I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong.

So like, in the water level, at the point where
the water fills and you're trapped behind the gates
, there's no way to get across that in time, right? Because as soon as you're
under water, you lose all of your charge and you can't do much
, so I died twice and then
Lumen shows up and sings her son, and then I'm awesome for the rest of the level

Like, I'm not sure if that's a scripted thing that's supposed to happen, or if it's just the game taking pity on me for sucking.

Yuterald

Finally managed an S-rank, and what do I see? A new challenge - "get an S+"?!
That's going to have to wait. My hands are starting to hurt. Using the face buttons, D-pad, and both shoulders with an original 3DS is not the most comfortable control scheme in the world.

Is S+ the highest rank then? Some portable-core shit going on here.

EDIT: nevermind, just read a few posts up. Looks like S+ is the best. Cool squirrel.

Draconian

Played through the first level. It is a bit easy, but I think it's pretty fun. There's way more story and dialogue sequences than I was expecting from a game like this though.

Miker

Played through the first level. It is a bit easy, but I think it's pretty fun. There's way more story and dialogue sequences than I was expecting from a game like this though.

Just like Mega Man Zero, then!

I'll wait for more impressions before jumping on this. It's not like it's getting cheaper any time soon, and I can wait.

PsionBolt

Ugh. Just got my first C-rank. Got my head handed to me by a jerk who seemed to be playing at Mega Man's copy ability. No fair, jerk! I beat those bosses, not you!

rjc571

Banned
I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am that this is only 30 fps. I had high expectations for this game, but they were dashed almost immediately after I took control of Gunvolt and saw the jerky screen scrolling. I'm completely in shock... all of IntiCreates' previous games have been 60 fps (at least to my knowledge), so what went wrong here? There's no reason that the 3DS can't handle this at 60 fps, and 30 fps is UNACCEPTABLE for fast paced sidescrolling action games. I honestly feel like I just flushed 15 bucks down the toilet.

The End

I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am that this is only 30 fps. I had high expectations for this game, but they were dashed almost immediately after I took control of Gunvolt and saw the jerky screen scrolling. I'm completely in shock... all of IntiCreates' previous games have been 60 fps (at least to my knowledge), so what went wrong here? There's no reason that the 3DS can't handle this at 60 fps, and 30 fps is UNACCEPTABLE for fast paced sidescrolling action games. I honestly feel like I just flushed 15 bucks down the toilet.

is this... a joke post

i've had a long week, a can't really tell

Wow, Mighty Gunvolt is really short.

You can score rush, and the characters play (a little) differently, so there's a little reply value there.

Still, it's hard to complain with free*.

Although they could have at least put in a 3D effect.

The End

Wow, Mighty Gunvolt is really short.

You can score rush, and the characters play (a little) differently, so there's a little reply value there.

Still, it's hard to complain with free*.

Although they could have at least put in a 3D effect.

yeah, it's very much "hey, we banged this out in a week between finishing gunvolt and starting full time production on Mighty No. 9"

yeah, it's very much "hey, we banged this out in a week between finishing gunvolt and starting full time production on Mighty No. 9"
I did enjoy it though, I'm just a mark for anything NES related.

I would definitely be willing to throw a $5 or $10 at them if they want to make a full production version or sequel somewhere down the line.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is anyone else surprised how dark the dialogue is? The pink boss - the one
Mega Man killsteals from you
- says some really vulgar stuff. Having just watched Sin City last week, the way the script is written gives me similar vibes.

Fireblend

Banned
First impressions (played through the first stage ~4 times, clearing challenges):

Awww man, I really missed you, Inti. Please never stop making these games. I'm a huge MMZ/ZX fan so I'm feeling right at home with Gunvolt so far. I was skeptical about the "tag and shock" weapon gimmick upon hearing about it and even after tons of people said it worked, but now that I've tried it it does indeed work really, really well. Doing the "clear in 4 minutes of less" challenge for the first stage, it's really obvious the Inti Creates team knows its stuff and its found a nice little niche for itself within the action-platformer genre that I wouldn't mind seeing filled by them more often.

I wish it used the 3D effect better though. Shovel Knight used it to perfection, while here it's barely noticeable. Such a shame.

Also, I beat Mighty Gunvolt with Gunvolt already. Neat little extra :p

For those who have already beaten the game, is there such a thing as over-leveling in this game? What exactly do the levels mean? Am I ruining the difficulty for myself by replaying the same stage over and over to clear the challenges?

Top Bottom