• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's honestly really cool. I feel like even T2 decks can easily beat T1 decks, just not consistently so which is what makes them T2. But it's not a wipeout by any means.

I'm still not convinced Han/Rey isn't tier 1 after seeing you play it a couple times, and now running your deck a few times.

Though honestly I think the Tier 2 stuff is Tier 2 because it's slightly less reliable against Jango. Not that it is any less good against Tier 1.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm still not convinced Han/Rey isn't tier 1 after seeing you play it a couple times, and now running your deck a few times.

Though honestly I think the Tier 2 stuff is Tier 2 because it's slightly less reliable against Jango. Not that it is any less good against Tier 1.

Yeah almost feel like it's T1.5 even though that't kind of cheating. :p It doesn't have the consistency of Blue Villain or Jango, but it definitely can hit those peaks.

Originally Posted in Wargaming Thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here:

So, I'm going ahead and moving into my second and third painting projects, after Last Night on Earth, which turned out to my liking..

Fury of Dracula, with 5 minis, will be a cinch..

And I think the 5 Adrenaline figures will work out alright with some slight difficulty, using the same methods..
.. But it's occurred to me that I might want to start using a different priming method for larger miniatures, particularly when they are assembled and tend to have deep recesses.

I like my Duplicolor Sandable White... I thought that'd be perfect for everything... But what the adrenaline figures show, is that I'm going to have a bit of trouble reaching the deeper recesses, so I'd have to spray like a madman to get every nook, and in doing that, I'd be at risk of losing detail and dealing with having sit through multiple coats.. Priming in black would be great for hiding the deeper recesses, but as long as I'm spraying, it's going to be just as hard to even cover those areas..

I've got some extremely difficult to reach areas that will be difficult to get paint into.. makes me think doing thin, black paint on primer would be a better choice for certain figures...

I've heard of this black gesso which is said to tighten as it dries?

Opened DOOM yesterday, and when I get around to painting these guys, I know the demons should be primed black, maybe dry brushed white after.. .but I need to get into those deep demon mouths and such.

What do you guys think?

edit: All my paints are already vallejo, so I'm eyeing their Acrylic Black Primer

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Opened DOOM yesterday, and when I get around to painting these guys, I know the demon's should be primed black, maybe dry brushed white after.. .but I need to get into those deep demon mouths and such.

9el8lDY.png

Those are the best minis FFG has ever put out

EYEL1NER

I finally played Jaipur for the first time and it was a pleasant experience. My wife enjoyed how quick and simple it is, while I enjoyed the colorful components, strategy, and the bits of "take that" gameplay with redeeming cards quickly to get the last points for that resource after you see your opponent take a card for it. I'm really looking forward to playing it again one of these nights.

Keasar

so while I don't really have an issue with any company using kickstarter to obtain funds even if they don't need it...

it's still really really weird to see a steve jackson munchkin game on there
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/munchkin-shakespeare?ref=category_newest

Steve Jackson is not exactly huge company, there presence it pretty small

Company like CMON is far worse, they are huge, have their own magazine, run their own cons, have products already paid for and components done even before doing a kickstarter campaign. They have massive expensive booths at cones, as well as often having really elaborate and expensive shit like giant statues and props made for their shows. People though will keep tossing millions at them.

fenners

Steve Jackson is not exactly huge company, there presence it pretty small

As a company, they gross about $6-$8 million a year. Like Queen etc, they absolutely are using KS as a promotional preorder system. At least with CMON, the added value in KS rewards is usually top notch - yes, they absolutely don't need to use KS to fund their products, we all know that, but they throw enough extra crap in to make it worthwhile.

My Arcadia Quest Inferno package arrives today ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I tried to get through the rules of One Deck Dungeon last night. I probably should watch a play through because the rules seem incredibly disjointed.

As a company, they gross about $6-$8 million a year. Like Queen etc, they absolutely are using KS as a promotional preorder system. At least with CMON, the added value in KS rewards is usually top notch - yes, they absolutely don't need to use KS to fund their products, we all know that, but they throw enough extra crap in to make it worthwhile.

My Arcadia Quest Inferno package arrives today ;)

It's hypocritical I think to see the knee jerk reactions against SJG when folks like CMON are making money angels based off board game whales. It's same reason I would LOVE to see Games Workshop do a kickstarter, to watch all the meltdowns.

CMON isn't doing anyone favors, they have it all figured out, all those fancy stretch goals that people perceive as value are already paid for, sculpted, and even molded, all art work finished, test copies out on show floors in nearly complete states while a KS is going on. They already budgeted and paid for all this, your KS money is not helping them in any way, but they make people feel like they are getting rewarded. And people fall for it, they go "I need to kickstart their games to get extra stuff!", yea this is same thing as bundling DLC for video games exclusively to those who preorder. So folks are programmed to buy the game at KS, instead of at retail. CMON is not losing any money, they are dangling plastic in front of people to get full purchases for perceived value when people don't even know the rules or anything about the game outside of a concept and lots of pretty mini pictures.

The only reason people are flipping out about SJG is because so many in the hardcore community "hate" their games.

fenners

CMON isn't doing anyone favors, they have it all figured out, all those fancy stretch goals that people perceive as value are already paid for, sculpted, and even molded, all art work finished, test copies out on show floors in nearly complete states while a KS is going on.

Where did I, or anyone else, say CMON is losing money on their KS? I back their KS because they offer me ridiculous value. I don't back every one of their KS. I have bought their products at retail at times instead of KS when I didn't think the value was there in pre-paying. YMMV. Yes, they were among the first boardgame publishers to figure out & hone the model on KS & they know how to do it so well. I'm okay with that.

I get annoyed at certain Eurogame publishers like Queen & the Werewolf guys using it as a preorder service when the game is literally on the boat from China. I find it amusing that SJG is now on Kickstarter, personally.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's hypocritical I think to see the knee jerk reactions against SJG when folks like CMON are making money angels based off board game whales. It's same reason I would LOVE to see Games Workshop do a kickstarter, to watch all the meltdowns.

CMON isn't doing anyone favors, they have it all figured out, all those fancy stretch goals that people perceive as value are already paid for, sculpted, and even molded, all art work finished, test copies out on show floors in nearly complete states while a KS is going on. They already budgeted and paid for all this, your KS money is not helping them in any way, but they make people feel like they are getting rewarded. And people fall for it, they go "I need to kickstart their games to get extra stuff!", yea this is same thing as bundling DLC for video games exclusively to those who preorder. So folks are programmed to buy the game at KS, instead of at retail. CMON is not losing any money, they are dangling plastic in front of people to get full purchases for perceived value when people don't even know the rules or anything about the game outside of a concept and lots of pretty mini pictures.

The only reason people are flipping out about SJG is because so many in the hardcore community "hate" their games.

You still (usually) get way more for way less Kickstarting a CMON game. Especially if you factor the exclusive stuff. If they need to KS or not is irrelevant.

EYEL1NER

I find it amusing that SJG is now on Kickstarter, personally.
They aren't new to Kickstarter. They kickstarted the Designer's Edition of Ogre (as well as a minis set for Ogre) and a Car Wars game. I believe that a deluxe version of Car Wars similar to the Ogre Designer's Edition has been in the pipeline for a while too with the intention of it being Kickstarted, though plans could have changed re: that.

Karkador

Banned
IMO it's an abuse of the KS platform (if that even means anything anymore) when any of these companies already have a regular retail presence.

Where did I, or anyone else, say CMON is losing money on their KS? I back their KS because they offer me ridiculous value. I don't back every one of their KS. I have bought their products at retail at times instead of KS when I didn't think the value was there in pre-paying. YMMV. Yes, they were among the first boardgame publishers to figure out & hone the model on KS & they know how to do it so well. I'm okay with that.

I get annoyed at certain Eurogame publishers like Queen & the Werewolf guys using it as a preorder service when the game is literally on the boat from China. I find it amusing that SJG is now on Kickstarter, personally.

You maybe not, but lot of folks are acting up and getting riled over a Munchkin kickstarter, or because of the name of the company. CMON is not much different from boat from China when the product is obviously already in production, finished products on show floors during a kickstarter. Even the stretch goals are already produced and available for preview or production plastics done already, but locked deep in million+ stretches. Yea it's just a more elaborate preorder system with perceived value.

People are acting up because of the company involved cause they are "established", yet have no problem with other companies that have made it their business model.

You still (usually) get way more for way less Kickstarting a CMON game. Especially if you factor the exclusive stuff. If they need to KS or not is irrelevant.

Alot of redundant cheap plastic minis (often not even needed for the game) for a high price, and exclusive promo poses or figures that don't really impact game at all. Their games are not cheap via kickstarter, you are paying a premium already on a game with perceived value programmed into the customer base. You have to back a CMON game, cause if you don't, you lose out. And whats points of getting ton of cool stuff if the game ends up being crap like many of their duds? Sedition Wars, B-Seiged anyone? Having to drop $300 + on a pledge to get all the goodies, is not exactly a deal. Then the game hits retail and quickly available for 30-40% off retail price, and you can pick up much of the extras on sale also down the line, buying only what you need, you are not really getting a deal unless you have a need to have every piece of a game even if you have no idea how useful it actually is, or if its just visual fluff.

This is not a practice that should be praised or supported.

IMO it's an abuse of the KS platform (if that even means anything anymore) when any of these companies already have a regular retail presence.

It was an outlet for the little guys to get out there, but now it's been hurt by these big names and elaborate productions taking over the kickstarter landscape. Speaking with designers who do local appearances and friend who works in industry, lot of the small guys are struggling to compete, where KS was before a great launching platform, the games are now being over shadowed by these huge campaigns. If you don't got money up front for awesome art, tons of minis, etc, your Kickstarter is screwed.

So you are annoy with Queen and Bezier game for using Kickstarter as pre-ordering service but at the same time you are OK with CMON using it also as pre-ordering service. That is what most of the board games campaign on Kickstarter are, pre-ordering where you as a consumer get to foot all the expense and wait months (in case of CMON, years plus several months because they always underestimate their delivery - case in point Massive Darkness is delayed till June which mean August delivery).

My problem with most Kickstarter game is I realize they are just not play tested enough, most of the game just suck especially CMON games where there are more chrome than engine under the hood. The last game I back from them and regret was Masmora. The game was boring and underwhelming to put it mildly. Beside the mini to use with Arcadia Quest, there really is not much redeeming value to the game.

I have about 4 games coming to me that I back from last year and the year before (yes..) and I am pretty much done with prepayment and wait years for game. Unless the game is really from well known designers and offer true value, I will just wait for retails and review. (Still waiting for Nemo's War, Gloomhaven who the heck know what going on it was suppose to ship already, Gloom of Kilforth and 7th Continent - very worry about this one).

Gurrry

Unrelated, but I'm offering my communities some free game codes from the Humble Freedom bundle. Just reply in this thread with your request, first come first serve, one game per post. No spamming the thread, please!

Keep in mind, you're competing to gobble up these games with the NeoGAF Mafia Community, make sure to pay them a visit and sign up to play!

Steam Games Up For Grabs, 100% Free, Not Fake News, Classical Fact

Day of the Tentacle
Overgrowth
Nuclear Throne
Invisible, Inc <--Karkador Recommended
Super Meat Boy
World of Goo
Mushroom 11
Guacamelee
The Swapper <-- Karkador Recommended
Spirits
A Virus Named TOM
Waking Mars
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora
7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat <-- Karkador Recommended
Mini Metro <-- Karkador Recommended
Retro Game Crunch
Tower of Guns
AI War: Fleet Command
Secrets of Rætikon
Ellipsis
Streamline
Ninja Pizza Girl
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball

Hey Ill grab Nuclear Throne if no one else has!

Gurrry

I ended up beating Han Rey with Kylo/Dooku. Its beatable. Then again, ive also beaten Jango Veers and other variations of Jango with it as well. Kylo/Dooku definately isnt T1, but it can take down any of the decks out there.

If the Han is rolling hot though, its probably GG. You have to get a little lucky against this and Jango decks.

My new favorite deck to play though is Leia Ackbar. Its a trap is such a fun card to play, and with all the focus from Ackbar, Leia can really hit hard. Its honestly just the lack of HP that will probably keep me from playing this in a tournament. The other downside is the reliance on claiming the battlefield for some of your removal to work. But damn the deck definitely packs a punch.

Lyng

Completely agree. It drowns out all those who wouldnt be able to publish their idea without kickstarter.

Mr E.

I tried to get through the rules of One Deck Dungeon last night. I probably should watch a play through because the rules seem incredibly disjointed.

It's rather simple, here some quick stuff to get you going.

When attempting Peril/Combat you earn the card regardless of "beating it" you suffer consequences and claim card.

When advancing floors ALL effects are in play from previous floors. Appropriate to either Peril/Combat.

Keep an eye on your skills icons (there small) make sure that the skills used have the correct icon for Peril/Combat type.

On the first dungeon (Dragon) and the first action per floor you spend 9 cards before any encounter. 5 for Dungeon effect, 2 to explore and 2 to open a door,

Perils are generally a little more difficult because your only allowed to roll dice off appropriate colour + any black dice earned. Combat you can chuck all your dice.

Hope that gets you somewhere. Any questions that I might help with give a shout.

Edit to add I found the rule book lacking also, it's all there but doesn't give enough examples IMHO.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I ended up beating Han Rey with Kylo/Dooku. Its beatable. Then again, ive also beaten Jango Veers and other variations of Jango with it as well. Kylo/Dooku definately isnt T1, but it can take down any of the decks out there.

If the Han is rolling hot though, its probably GG. You have to get a little lucky against this and Jango decks.

My new favorite deck to play though is Leia Ackbar. Its a trap is such a fun card to play, and with all the focus from Ackbar, Leia can really hit hard. Its honestly just the lack of HP that will probably keep me from playing this in a tournament. The other downside is the reliance on claiming the battlefield for some of your removal to work. But damn the deck definitely packs a punch.
Yeah, It's a Trap is hilarious. I'll honestly sometimes focus to Rey's discards to try to kill it b/c the deck isn't very good w/o it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Alot of redundant cheap plastic minis (often not even needed for the game) for a high price, and exclusive promo poses or figures that don't really impact game at all. Their games are not cheap via kickstarter, you are paying a premium already on a game with perceived value programmed into the customer base. You have to back a CMON game, cause if you don't, you lose out. And whats points of getting ton of cool stuff if the game ends up being crap like many of their duds? Sedition Wars, B-Seiged anyone? Having to drop $300 + on a pledge to get all the goodies, is not exactly a deal. Then the game hits retail and quickly available for 30-40% off retail price, and you can pick up much of the extras on sale also down the line, buying only what you need, you are not really getting a deal unless you have a need to have every piece of a game even if you have no idea how useful it actually is, or if its just visual fluff.

Once again, how you or I or anyone else personally feels about the games is irrelevant. You get more for less with many kickstarters, that is just a fact. On CSI reproducing The Others 7 Sins pledge cost $100 more and this is without the KS exclusive hero box.

Once again, how you or I or anyone else personally feels about the games is irrelevant. You get more for less with many kickstarters, that is just a fact. On CSI reproducing The Others 7 Sins pledge cost $100 more and this is without the KS exclusive hero box.

You get more physical items sometimes, is a fact. Does that have any true value, is completely and 100% subjective. Incursion gave huge amounts of extra bits or the game Kickstarter, cheaper than it would have been buying it all at retail. But so what? most of those components were redundant, not needed, but it was just fluff to increase perceived value. Even with games like Zombicide, there is so so much redundancy and crappy heroes thanks to all the extra promos.

Whats point of content when it's all hollow fluff used to push sales?

And recreating a pledge is another subjective matter. For example Shadows of Brimstone, much of my value I'm getting from the KS, I actually would have likely skipped out on and not bought, but it comes bundled. These are forced bundles, you have no choice. Yea I got ton of stuff coming in my 2nd wave shipment for example, but I likely would have never bought alot of it, and getting stuff I didn't need. In many Cmon kickstarters especially I'm being tossed alot of pointless extras like special dice, plastic token replacements, etc. Like who gives a crap that my first player token is now an elaborate exclusive miniature? In the 2nd zombicide kickstarter, I got the dog expansion as part of my pledge reward bonus.... whoopie, it was a piece of shit expansion. Much of these extras also were marked down on sale on every online retailers within months too. Sedition Wars, by the time I got my box of extras, was already on clearance and considered a dud by the community.

I don't find any value in "more for less with kickstarter" as that's only looking at it from a physical component stand point, which is still subjective in value to the individual.

zulux21

I want to note, I knew SJG was on kickstarter before that, and that wasn't weird to me since they were focusing on more experimental games.

it was just weird to see munchkin since the last few times I wondered into a board game store there was a whole shelf dedicated to munchkin lol.

as I said I have no issue with them doing it, kickstarter isn't a platform for the little guys to get project made that they otherwise couldn't, it's merely a platform for companies to put their products out their and secure crowd funding in exchange for rewards.

If microsoft wanted to kickstart the next halo game, more power to them. I wouldn't back it because I don't see the point, but I also wouldn't feel like they were doing anything wrong.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

actually I'd put Kylo/Dooku as Tier 1. Same as Han/Rey, I think.

(though I put Jango at Tier 0 right now though... Jango is the best)

So if you classify Jango decks as Tier 1, yeah, lots of stuff like Kylo/Dooku and Han/Rey is Tier 2.

I guess I should've made that clear.

Karkador

Banned
If microsoft wanted to kickstart the next halo game, more power to them. I wouldn't back it because I don't see the point, but I also wouldn't feel like they were doing anything wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with established companies running pre-order campaigns, but it seems like established brands use Kickstarter because they see a marketplace that's driving a lot of sales, and their other options for marketing pre-orders are...what? Going in to pre-order at Gamestop?

There is no modern marketing platform for the bigger fish quite like Kickstarter, but I don't think that means they should be allowed to steal Kickstarter away from the small fish

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't think there's anything wrong with established companies running pre-order campaigns, but it seems like established brands use Kickstarter because they see a marketplace that's driving a lot of sales, and their other options for marketing pre-orders are...what? Going in to pre-order at Gamestop?

There is no modern marketing platform for the bigger fish quite like Kickstarter, but I don't think that means they should be allowed to steal Kickstarter away from the small fish

I dont think they do tbh. Munchkin fans on the other hand might a) have a positive kickstarter experience and b) more of an incentive/curiosity to check out what else the site offers. Sure its not a huge conversion rate, but these things are rarely entirely positive or negative.

I dont think they do tbh. Munchkin fans on the other hand might a) have a positive kickstarter experience and b) more of an incentive/curiosity to check out what else the site offers. Sure its not a huge conversion rate, but these things are rarely entirely positive or negative.

I agree, no harm can really come of this... well besides people playing munchkin of course.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I agree, no harm can really come of this... well besides people playing munchkin of course.

Munchkin was one of the first games that I bought myself... I've come a looooooooong way, really puts things into perspective when you bring out the stuff you started gaming with.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Munchkin was one of the first games that I bought myself... I've come a looooooooong way, really puts things into perspective when you bring out the stuff you started gaming with.

First game I ever bought was Runebound 2e. Still one of my favorite games ever. Second game was Ghost Stories.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
actually I'd put Kylo/Dooku as Tier 1. Same as Han/Rey, I think.

(though I put Jango at Tier 0 right now though... Jango is the best)

So if you classify Jango decks as Tier 1, yeah, lots of stuff like Kylo/Dooku and Han/Rey is Tier 2.

I guess I should've made that clear.

Rough top 5 for me:
1. Bala/Jango/Trooper
2. Vader/Raider
3. Jango/Veers
4. Han/Rey
5. Dooku/Kylo

You can switch around 2-3 and 4-5 depending on how much Ranged hate there is in the meta. Blue Villain is definitely looking slightly more powerful than it should imo because of all the Ranged hate going on right now. Dooku/Jabba is probably 6 and Qui-Gon/Rey maybe 7? Lots of valid decks even below that too though. Like Red Hero can be scary if you can't get their It's a Trap off. Lukebar is like a worse version of Vader/Raider but it's still pretty good.

Lyng

Havent been buying Board Games in a long while, mainly due to me beeing happy with the size of my collection, and not really beeing interested in any of the new games that have come out recently. (apart from Scythe which is freaking amazing)

But today did a little shopping, which will most likely be the only games I buy this year:

Galaxy Trucker and Artic Scavangers.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Rough top 5 for me:
1. Bala/Jango/Trooper
2. Vader/Raider
3. Jango/Veers
4. Han/Rey
5. Dooku/Kylo

You can switch around 2-3 and 4-5 depending on how much Ranged hate there is in the meta. Blue Villain is definitely looking slightly more powerful than it should imo because of all the Ranged hate going on right now. Dooku/Jabba is probably 6 and Qui-Gon/Rey maybe 7? Lots of valid decks even below that too though. Like Red Hero can be scary if you can't get their It's a Trap off. Lukebar is like a worse version of Vader/Raider but it's still pretty good.

I'd put Jango/Trooper/Trooper at 1b.

Poe/Rey I've been messing with and looks like it could be pretty reliably nasty with the throne room (you could also play it Han/Rey style with the Graveyard, but I'm not sure Poe is survivable enough to keep people after Rey ala Han+Second Chance)

Toma

Havent been buying Board Games in a long while, mainly due to me beeing happy with the size of my collection, and not really beeing interested in any of the new games that have come out recently. (apart from Scythe which is freaking amazing)

But today did a little shopping, which will most likely be the only games I buy this year:

Galaxy Trucker and Artic Scavangers.

Very good choices.

Played a few games of Mansions of Madness 2nd ed yesterday and the first scenario or the Arkham Horror LCG. Really emjoyed both. Mansions of Madness can be a bit on the absurd side though
looking in a fridge, the fridge had a piece of the void inside of it and my mind was filled with the wisdom of the Lurker at the Threshold
. I mean.. c'mon. I know funny stuff like that is expected but, haha.

The LCG is fucking awesome too.

Gonna set up Scythe automa tonight and finally see how it goes. I meant to a few weeka ago but time got away from me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played a few games of Mansions of Madness 2nd ed yesterday and the first scenario or the Arkham Horror LCG. Really emjoyed both. Mansions of Madness can be a bit on the absurd side though
looking in a fridge, the fridge had a piece of the void inside of it and my mind was filled with the wisdom of the Lurker at the Threshold
. I mean.. c'mon. I know funny stuff like that is expected but, haha.

The LCG is fucking awesome too.

Gonna set up Scythe automa tonight and finally see how it goes. I meant to a few weeka ago but time got away from me.

LCG is so damn good. They really knocked it out of the park on that one. There's a new FAQ up today fwiw though we were pretty much playing everything right. Only negativity I've seen at all is that maybe it's not super replayable, but I disagree with that pretty strongly. First you can just go for different resolutions or different character combos, and also you can increase difficulty. You can just bail on the story parts but the core gameplay is still crazy good.

LCG is so damn good. They really knocked it out of the park on that one. There's a new FAQ up today fwiw though we were pretty much playing everything right. Only negativity I've seen at all is that maybe it's not super replayable, but I disagree with that pretty strongly. First you can just go for different resolutions or different character combos, and also you can increase difficulty. You can just bail on the story parts but the core gameplay is still crazy good.

I completely agree. I'd already played through the Core over the last few days with another friend and with people using different characters, different encounters, the resolutions etc. It does miss the story beats but it is still fresh and so much fun to play.

I really, really like it a lot and can't wait to dig into the expansion and the mythos packs. It really is a lot of fun and balanced in a way where it frequently feels like you are just getting by, for the most part.

EYEL1NER

Tonight was a fun game night. We had a five person turnout. One couple brought in Red Dragon Inn and Dead of Winter. I brought in Codenames, Takenoko, Robinson Crusoe, Five Tribes, and Secret Hitler. We wound up not getting to any of those. Xia was a title floated around last week but we settled in Zombicide. Reason being that three of the people had never played it and the owner/host is about to ship his collection off. His collection of all three seasons is stored in a huge handcrafted wooden box that his father and him designed and his father loves the game and loves painting, so his father asked for it to be sent to him so he can paint it all and return it back. The game will be out of commission for a while if it is gone being painted, so we threw down on it. The host was excited to try a ten-character mission for the first time, so we went with a 4x2 map setup where our car broke down in one corner and we need to search buildings for some gas to get it running, as well as repair another car with a drivetrain, get gas, and find a key to unlock the garage door for it. We won after about 4.5 hours without anyone taking a single wound. Luck was on our side this time with the Abomination draws compared to last time when we had three right off the bat almost; this time we just had a Skinner and Vanilla Abomination fairly close to the beginning but a player found two Molotovs early on too.

Three players left after that, so the host and I played Rum and Bones. I've never played a MOBA but I guess the game is inspired by the genre and has a lot of similarities? I didn't play so well and lost but I still enjoyed it. I kind of wish I had backed the game during its Kickstarter run but I don't know that I need it in my collection.

Next week we will be playing Dead of Winter and then the host asked me to bring in BattleCON in two weeks for when everyone else leaves, he said he would try it out. So I am really pumped for that.

Highlights of the night? Playing the right combination of cards in Rum and Bones to deal 22 damage to one of my opponent's hero characters. Also, I got to drink two glasses of three year old mead. I've wanted to try mead for s while and apparently the host bottled some a few years ago before his son was born. I loved it, it was tasty.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The first Mythos pack should be out tomorrow for Arkham. I've been meaning to play through the first two scenarios again for Dunwich, but I'll just wait for the Mythos pack.

Also, I think Mansions 2E is pretty great. I've really been enjoying painting the monsters and minis too.

My wife and I just finished another game of Dale of Merchants 2. It's one of the deckbuilders I own, and she really enjoys it. She seems to like the cards that force a player to discard cards or cards that allow her to trade with another player in her favor. Am I right in thinking she would like Dominion? I've never played it though I do know it's the game that popularized deckbuilders.

Are there any other fast paced games with similar mechanics to the ones she likes? She's also a huge fan of Monopoly Deal. Deckbuilders I own include Dale of Merchants 1 and 2, Arctic Scavengers (though she's not too big on the theme), and Eminent Domain (which I bought back during a sale but never opened yet). I play Star Realms on my Nexus 7, but I don't think she'd like the theme. It's pretty cheap, though, so I might get a copy.

JesseZao

So I didn't end up running Alchemists last night.

We played Terra mystica instead. Those damn shapeshifters are unstoppable in a 5 player game. I should've bid higher for them. Then again, we played them without the nerf rules from Oct 2015, so that might've helped.

Got to play 2-player Inis last night. Have to get used to the battle nuance, but had fun getting beat :). Can't wait to play it again!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So I didn't end up running Alchemists last night.

We played Terra mystica instead. Those damn shapeshifters are unstoppable in a 5 player game. I should've bid higher for them. Then again, we played them without the nerf rules from Oct 2015, so that might've helped.

Got to play 2-player Inis last night. Have to get used to the battle nuance, but had fun getting beat :). Can't wait to play it again!

Shapeshifters can adopt new homeland types, right? What is the nerf?

Lyng

Very good choices.

Yeah really looking forward to playing them both. We dont have any real time games and Vlaada usually hits it out of the park.
And I wanted a deck builder with proper theme. The fact that Rahdo, Zee and Shutupandsitdown all like it, despite their very different tastes in games bodes well.

Taborcarn

Shapeshifters can adopt new homeland types, right? What is the nerf?

From BGG, here are the most recent rules changes for the Shapeshifters and Riverwalkers:

These are the official rules updates for Riverwalkers and Shapeshifters:

Riverwalkers:
Riverwalkers have to pay 1 coin when they unlock a new terrain on their wheel (starting terrain is free), 2 coins if it is another player's home terrain.

explanations: (edited)
- priest gained in Phase I (i.e. as income from temple, sanctuary or bonus tile): the coins have to be either existing coins (saved from previous round) or coins gained as income parallel to the priest; no burning/conversion allowed to get the coins (the player would need to do such burning/conversion before he/she passed in the previous Phase II)
- priest gained in Phase II (i.e. from power action aka ACT2, town tile or direct 5pw-to-priest conversion): the coins can also come from conversion of power/workers/priests
- priest gained in Phase III (i.e. from cult bonus): the coins have to be existing coins (saved from Phase II); no burning/conversion allowed (the player would need to do such burning/conversion before passing in Phase II)

Shapeshifters:
The cost of the Shapeshifter Stronghold power is increased to 5 power / 5 power tokens, and using the power (= shift your current hometerrain into another hometerrain) no longer generates any victory points. They also have to pay one VP for every power token they receive using their faction special ability. So when another player takes power during their build action, they pay 1 VP and get a new power token into bowl III. If the Shapeshifters don't want to pay 1VP, they get nothing (no power gain, which is different from when other players refuse to take power - then Shapeshifters themselves would get one power).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I played my first game of One Deck Dungeon last night! All said, I think the game is really great. An interesting dice chucking puzzler. Brutally tough, too. Here's my quick and dirty pros/cons list.

Pros
  • VERY little table space required.
  • Very solo friendly, apparently great 2P, too.
  • Time mechanic means you have a lot of unique choices to make every game with what ends up behind each door.
  • Incredibly rewarding when you fill a card.
  • Reminds me of turn optimization in Mage Knight without being as drawn out and challenge (optimizing dice takes 45-60 seconds and not 5-10 minutes like late game MK).
  • Time mechanic works surprisingly well.
Cons
  • Rulebook is a mess. The info is there, but it's all over the place and full of oddities. Needs examples and reminders about the dungeon card effects. SO easy to forget.
  • Some encounters are SUPER broken feeling. Perils feel exceptionally unbalanced early on.
  • Once you've taken damage and used a potion, you're pretty much chasing your tail the rest of the game...Or so it seems.
  • The game could REALLY use a Suburbia style "Tips and Tricks" by the designer - insight as to why some decisions were made may help make sense of some of the encounters.
I don't mind the difficulty. My cons list is pretty small, but the game feels a bit like luck right now. Anyone here with a lot of plays under their belt feel like giving me direction on how to approach character building via skills and items? I played the Wizard and simply couldn't deal with a bunch of the encounters because I didn't have dice to do so.

Mr E.

My copy of Mint Works arrived from KS today. Worker placement in a mint tin. Fun little game that will accompany us to restaurants.

Got Comancheria, a solitaire GMT game from Joel Toppen, a sequel of sorts to Navajo Wars. Looking forward to getting this to the table. Also from GMT Sekigahara unification of Japan got a reprint. Been wanting this for a long time and it's now in the collection.

Finally Gloomhaven shipping notification, I'm cooling slightly on this one, the box looks like a shipping container and boxes within boxes. Not sure where I'm going to store this beast.

Top Bottom