• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Eusis

Adam Boyes said they're looking into it, and there's some inconsistencies on the use of these for launch titles (such as remote play missing)
Yeah, I imagine it's mainly just inconsistencies, though it raises questions on why the offline play logo exists. Maybe Sony really was thinking to have DRM but it'd optionally be opt out, and this would be advertised on the back?

Why aren't people raising more of a shit over the fact that Microsoft remotely bricked this guy's console until they feel he should be allowed to use it? Did he acquire the product illegally? Sure, it's before street date, but he still paid for the damn thing, didn't he? Whose to say Microsoft won't use this new power of theirs in other scenarios where they find people doing things they don't approve of?
Plenty of shit was raised about that in the previous thread (the one focusing on the console ban).

SRTtoZ

Oh, so he got it from Microsoft, and didn't spend his own money? Did he break some kind of agreement with them or something? Why would they have to ban a console that they gave to him?

Either way, the fact that they have this power and have already shown that they're willing to use it is not comforting.

No he didnt get it from MS. He got it from Target (they shipped it to him early), MS banned him from using XBL, so they offered him some goodies like attending the launch event or something, and they said they will unban him on the 22nd. This thread is separate because all of a sudden the guy cant even play his offline games when originally he could.

Biker19

Banned

Uh-Oh.

So THAT's why the PS4 box said Offline Enabled (taken from here)

e4uKhTG.png

Oh, snap.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No he didnt get it from MS. He got it from Target (they shipped it to him early), MS banned him from using XBL, so they offered him some goodies like attending the launch event or something, and they said they will unban him on the 22nd. This thread is separate because all of a sudden the guy cant even play his offline games when originally he could.

Got it. Guess I missed the other thread.

Sets a terrible precedent, though. Microsoft should not be allowed to have that kind of control over a product someone legally purchased.

I think that Microsoft wants every console to have to sign in at least once. What their reasons would be, I don't know - they could be completely innocent intentions.

Honestly?

The reason is pretty damn clear, the consoles (hardware) are 'ready' far before the software is. They will take every last second that they can to make the software better.

They cannot hold up hardware production because of software issues. It is much easier to release the hardware and then require a day one patch. There is nothing nefarious about this. You can buy a 'day one' smart TV and it will have a day one software update. Order a 'day one' graphics card and it will have a day one driver update. This is the way the game is played. Drop the tin foil hat.

Vagabundo

Ho ho oh. Another day another Xbone thread.

Let's hope post launch is as entertaining.

I'm starting to feel bad for MS PR though.

Walshicus

I didn't expect that they would keep a DRM option at the game level.

But if this is true, then it makes some earlier suspicions I had more likely to me. Microsoft had decided to remove the DRM months ago and could have already had the DRM patch included in the initial firmware placed on the consoles way back then since there was so much time to go.
The Day One patch is to put the production Operating System in place, not to remove DRM.

His issue is that if your console gets banned you cannot go back and download games that you paid for because the ban prevents it. Had you bought a physical copy you could still play your game that you paid for. If you had it loaded on your system you could play it. But all the games you don't have on the hard drive are gone forever. The products you spent money on are taken away from you.

I think this is his point. Along with the fact that they can just lock you out of your own system. As said before what console banning would have been like without the 180 would have been awful. It'd brick your console. You wouldn't have access to any games or features whatsoever

So in a nutshell, you are upset that if you break a ToS and get your account/console banned then you cannot access content that you have paid for?

Sounds like a digital only problem to me, not a Microsoft problem. Easy way around this, stop breaking ToS. I' would presume that Sony has the exact same policy as does every other digital distributor.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly?

The reason is pretty damn clear, the consoles (hardware) are 'ready' far before the software is. They will take every last second that they can to make the software better.

They cannot hold up hardware production because of software issues. It is much easier to release the hardware and then require a day one patch. There is nothing nefarious about this. You can buy a 'day one' smart TV and it will have a day one software update. Order a 'day one' graphics card and it will have a day one driver update. This is the way the game is played. Drop the tin foil hat.

I've never bought a smart TV that won't let me watch TV without updating first. What are some other mainstream products that are bricks until a day one update?

robo

the UK disc version doesn't have offline play enabled on the back for the PS4 version.

1-2 players
2-18 network players
49gb minimum
DS4 vib function
HD output, 720p,1080i and 1080P
remote play supported

PBY

Banned
Yeah, I finally got there. This is why MS need to stop this faffing about and give a straight answer immediately.

One tweet and a website Ive never heard before that sources a forum post?

Its the middle of the night. Tomorrow at the latest we'll get confirmation Im sure.

-PXG-

CBOAT only pops his head out and makes public comments when necessary. People say things and speculate all day, every day on GAF. So far, his/her track record us pretty damn good.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Have to wait on the launch to bite on this one. I'm about as far into the Sony camp you can get bit surely this cant be what they pplanned.day 1 server/uodate fix id bet...

Otherwise the 23rd is gonna be a fun day...

So in a nutshell, you are upset that if you break a ToS and get your account/console banned then you cannot access content that you have paid for?

Sounds like a digital only problem to me, not a Microsoft problem. Easy way around this, stop breaking ToS.

I'm not upset. I was just saying what I think that other person was getting at. There was another thread where some guy got banned "for no reason" where people were arguing over whether or not it's fair for them not to allow you access to your digital games. I follow ToS and I'm not getting an Xbox one so I'm not worried. I'm here for the luls

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Pretty much. Wonder how long Albert's posts gonna be. What was the time stamp on his post again? I mean it's been at least 2 hours right?

No idea, but there are a few articles now popping up and by tomorrow it will be a nightmare to contain.

I've never bought a smart TV that won't let me watch TV without updating first. What are some other mainstream products that are bricks until a day one update?

Context. The poster I replied to was implying a tin-foil conspiracy.

Let me know where I said you cannot watch TV without the update or where I implied that other mainstream products are bricks until a day one update.

Follow the conversation, the poster was implying that the update was not required. That it was potentially some nefarious plot to tract users or obtain some data.

FYI it's 11pm on a Sunday, so people aren't exactly quick to respond to work email. I wanted to check in before I shut-down for the evening. This is what I believe is going on:

We still have two more weeks before launch - the console is in a pre-release state. We are doing regular updates - I personally took one a few minutes before he posted. His build is now old. This is why we were saying we didn't want people on early - it's not done yet.

This behavior is only because we are in pre-release. When we launch, console will work exactly as you expect today on 360.

For sure this has nothing to do with requiring a connection. There is no "DRM removal" in the Day One update because none of the consoles were ever built with that stuff in it.

This also has nothing to do with COD. The Day One update just brings the SW up to date with the latest versions vs. what's on the box. But there is no 24 check in, that's for sure.

Steel

Banned
I think it's safe to assume that Albert is sleeping, guys :p

At 11 pm california time when shit's hitting the fan? That'd be odd. I suppose it would also be odd if he could contact the people he can verify the problem with at this time too....

Yeah... We might have to wait till tmrw.

Edit: Of course just as I post this Albert posts on top of me....

hawk2025

At 11 pm california time when shit's hitting the fan? That'd be odd. I suppose it would also be odd if he could contact the people he can verify the problem with at this time too....

Yeah... We might have to wait till tmrw.

Well, he has to talk to someone. And that someone might be sleeping or just off the radar for the night.

Top Bottom