• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Harvest Moon DS game should I buy?

Oersted

They are currently dirt cheap at a local retailer (below 10 bucks) and I wondered which one can be really recommended. Any suggestions?

Jucksalbe

Banned
If Rune Factory is also an option: Get RF 1 or 3.
If only from the main series: I think Grand Bazaar is supposed to be the best, but I haven't played much of it yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HM DS Cute or the patched version of HM DS are the best from that gen. The rest include some great ideas but mess things up somehow.

Can we expand this a bit?

If you have Wii VC and PSN, which would be the best Harvest Moon to get?

I want a nice, relaxing game for the early summer. :p

I don't really like the new Harvest Moon games. It feels like ever new harvest moon game that comes out it becomes worse than the previous one.

You should get Rune Factory instead!

Oersted

If Rune Factory is also an option: Get RF 1 or 3.
If only from the main series: I think Grand Bazaar is supposed to be the best, but I haven't played much of it yet.

Not yet so far. But Grand Bazaar looks quite interesting, so thanks to both of you. Is there a game I should definetely not buy?

Nothing--A New Beginning is fantastic.

But it's 3DS-exclusive, and OP was looking for DS games only.

Seriously though, OP, forget about Harvest Moon and get Rune Factory. :p

Its a sale, that is pretty much out of my hands^^.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you have Wii VC and PSN, which would be the best Harvest Moon to get?

I want a nice, relaxing game for the early summer. :p

Either the original Harvest Moon (on SNES/VC) or Back to Nature (on PSX/PSN). The original doesn't have as much to do, but that's also what makes it more relaxing.

m0t0k1

First post nails it. I would recommend Rune Factory 3 also for your HM fix. I also played the first one and i did like that one if you like dating boys you should go for the cute version. I played the sunshine island or something and i didn't like that one. don't know about the rest i would like to play them but i have never seen them in store to buy. Is tales of 2 towns any good? Saw it for the 3ds but it is still kinda pricy

Camjo-Z

I can tell you which one NOT to buy, Island of Happiness. Worst Harvest Moon game I've ever played and I haven't had the desire to buy one since. Constantly running around trying to cross off all the tasks on your list (give this girl a flower, water these crops, feed the cattle) in an extremely short time limit each day is not my idea of HM fun.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yes...Marvelous released a v1.1 of the game a few years later which fixes a ton of bugs, crashes, and many more.

Oh great...I guess there's no (unofficial) way to apply that patch to an original version?
Is there a way to tell the version just from the cover?

Koren

I enjoyed Grant Bazaar most (but still waiting to play A New Beginning).

But if it's for DS, I'd personnally rather have Friends of Mineral Town with GBA compatibility. Could be the game I'd place first in the series, definitively the best on handheld.

Either the original Harvest Moon (on SNES/VC) or Back to Nature (on PSX/PSN). The original doesn't have as much to do, but that's also what makes it more relaxing.
Isn't HM64 available?

Not yet so far. But Grand Bazaar looks quite interesting, so thanks to both of you. Is there a game I should definetely not buy?

Its a sale, that is pretty much out of my hands^^.

I would buy:

1. Grand Bazaar
3. A Tale of Two Towns
4. Harvest Moon DS (latest version) / DS Cute

I would avoid:

1. Island of Happiness
2. Harvest Moon DS (first version)
2. Sunshine Islands

But that's just me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's just little things that ruin the rest of the DS games for me.

HM DS when patched is the closest thing to HM FoMT and DS Cute is the closest thing to More FoMT, though it does have an added layer of complexity. The rest of the games all mess something up; controls for the first island game, interaction in ToTT and GB, crops in the second island game.

The second island game is the best, then Grand Bazaar, then the first island game, then tales of two towns.

Oh great...I guess there's no (unofficial) way to apply that patch to an original version?
Is there a way to tell the version just from the cover?

Try looking at the game card itself. Somewhere on the card should be a production number:

ABCEN0J13 - Version 1.0
ABCEN0J22 - Version 1.05
ABCEN1J09 - Version 1.1
ABCEN1J12 - Version 1.15
ABCEN1J22 - Version 1.2

If you have any of the bolded, you should be good. If you have 1.0 or 1.05, you're stuck with a whole bunch of bugs.

Jucksalbe

Banned
ABCEN1J22 - Version 1.2

If you have any of the bold, you should be good. If you have 1.0 or 1.05, you're stuck with a whole bunch of bugs.

Thanks. I actually have the latest version, I thought I bought it pretty early.

But just for the heck of it I searched for the code on NeoGAF and saw that I even asked about this once before (and got an answer). My memory is really bad, so I'll probably ask again in a year or so.

Oersted

I would buy:

1. Grand Bazaar
3. A Tale of Two Towns
4. Harvest Moon DS (latest version) / DS Cute

I would avoid:

1. Island of Happiness
2. Harvest Moon DS (first version)
2. Sunshine Islands

But that's just me.

So basically avoiding everything Island^^.

Top Bottom