• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Is it worth it purely for single player? AI good enough?

There's Adventure Mode.

Then Solo Arcade, which has:

Versus
Fusion
Swap
Party
Big Bang
Challenge

For those first 5 modes, you can play against 1, 2 or 3 CPU's. You can form teams or do a free for all. Also for those 5 modes, you can try Endurance, which lets you try to beat as many CPU's as you can.

Challenge mode has the following:

Endless Fever
Endless Puyo
Tiny Puyo
Sprint
Marathon
Ultra

The CPUs are probably better at downstacking than you, so that's why it feels hard. (Downstacking is when you focus on clearing the gray garbage lines to prolong survival. You have to think ahead many pieces to do this efficiently. The AI is pretty good at this, even if they are slow). The solution is to play faster or abuse something with higher DPS or damage per line like t-spins, perfect clears, and combos.

This was the frustration I was voicing last week, which remained even as I progressed to beating Rulue and Raffina (both on my first try, and then consistently). I still couldn't beat Zed. Maybe I was being psyched out because he was my first wall. But as I put hours into the demo, I played both faster and more aggressively and finally beat him (as well as Raffina with a Hot handicap; haven't tried Spicy yet).

And then I got annihilated by a perfect clear. Holy shit. I don't know the first thing about Tetris vs. Hahaha.

Re: downstacking, it certainly seems like they get garbage blocks that have more slots for I-blocks. Or does a Tetris always result in a garbage blocks that allow a counter-Tetris? Tetrising the AI is always a huge risk, so I have to learn to look at their screens and see if they have an I-block coming up or have one held.

shanafan

Played 9 rounds of Puyo Puyo Tetris with the wife last night, and we loved it. She hardly plays any video games, but loves her iOS puzzle games. She was instantly hooked, and we loved how the game would switch modes during gameplay.

Definitely buying this.

Fuck's sake. A week before launch, it seems Puyo Puyo Tetris has been delayed in Australia until mid-May. =|

Mighty Ape has it down for May 16, EB and JB have it for May 12.

https://www.mightyape.com.au/product/puyo-puyo-tetris-nintendo-switch/26586593
https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225652-Puyo-Puyo-Tetris-Switch
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/nintendo-switch/puyo-puyo-tetris/336036/

It seems like every major new Switch game has been delayed here lately; Has-Been Heroes, Lego City Undercover and now, Puyo Puyo Tetris. I don't mind given Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hits at the same time, though I'm going to buy the U.S version of Puyo Puyo Tetris because it's far cheaper.

Skeletos311

Sega posted some tetris tutorials.

Tetris

Puyo Puyo Tetris: Perfect Clear Tutorial - https://youtu.be/YicWkhg7e5o

Puyo Puyo Tetris: T-Spin Set Ups Tutorial - https://youtu.be/g2jsvgokC9o

Puyo Puyo Tetris: T-Spin Methods Tutorial - https://youtu.be/KnU9mWOY87E

Puyo Puyo Tetris: 4 Wide Combo Tutorial - https://youtu.be/S1vXEMf-SGk

The old Puyo Puyo tutorials.

Puyo Puyo Tetris: Tailing Tutorial - https://youtu.be/g0B-CBNYE88

Puyo Puyo Tetris: “Harassment” Tutorial - https://youtu.be/QVORkRFZt3I

Puyo Puyo Tetris: Sandwich Tutorial - https://youtu.be/kubNL_Nug8U

Puyo Puyo Tetris: GTR Tutorial - https://youtu.be/HyNDaUSqgE0

Puyo Puyo Tetris: Garbage Management - https://youtu.be/3w91x6S-tI8

I've been playing this game for a straight week now.

The demo seems to have everything I need. Multiplayer with the wife, single player by myself. Tetris and Puyo Puyo.

Don't mean to be a cheapskate and I really want to support this game, but is there any reason why I should buy the full version when the demo covers all the basics?

Skeletos311

The demo seems to have everything I need. Multiplayer with the wife, single player by myself. Tetris and Puyo Puyo.

Don't mean to be a cheapskate and I really want to support this game, but is there any reason why I should buy the full version when the demo covers all the basics?

There's a lot more in the full game. And it's only $30!

ASIS

The Demo sold me on the game. I just keep playing it all the time. I want the full game now, can't wait!

Played 9 rounds of Puyo Puyo Tetris with the wife last night, and we loved it. She hardly plays any video games, but loves her iOS puzzle games. She was instantly hooked, and we loved how the game would switch modes during gameplay.

Definitely buying this.

Best part for me was my wife constantly calling the puyo puyo part confusing, then her switching to a character who said it when we switched to puyo puyo, we were fucking dying.

Klart

Is there a demo of this on the JAP PSN? If so, could anyone provide me a link, cause I couldn't find it...

I'm the opposite. The demo made such a great impression I can't wait to try the other modes, online, etc.

Busaiku

I think the I finally got it.
Not getting huge chains, but able to save myself more often, and get like 3-4 sometimes.
Winning about 40% of the time now.

Though I'm still only on Medium.

Crazyorloco

The demo sold me on this game! Love it

Not getting the hate for the voices.

Anyway, Puyo Puyo is nice and all but I can't see myself playing that a great deal. I'm in this for the Tetris.

#teamtetris

Yeah I'm more of a Tetris person too, it's therapy for me lining everything neatly lol

But I do like creating combos/chains so I can see myself switching it up sometimes.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia with Blob

Perfect

spock

I pulled a switch commercial move and whipped out my switch in our local playground and used table top mode to play some VS tetris on the table and benches with another parent while the kids played. Really awesome experience and one I can actually see using, even though I really didnt see my self playing like this. We played for like an hour and I was thinking how crazy mario cart would be in this situatuion, thinking how I might need more joycons, lol.

Neiteio

Haven't tried the demo yet, but is there any rhyme or reason to the characters in this game? A surface-level skimming of gameplay footage shows a lot of shrieking lolis.

Not saying it's creepy by default, but I'm not sure what to make of it. What's the "story" or "world" in this game?

XaosWolf

Haven't tried the demo yet, but is there any rhyme or reason to the characters in this game? A surface-level skimming of gameplay footage shows a lot of shrieking lolis.

Not saying it's creepy by default, but I'm not sure what to make of it. What's the "story" or "world" in this game?

The Puyo characters are generally just students and teachers who battle each other using Puyo. But Puyo can sometimes just straight up warp you to another world.

This game is has it flip a little and actually just has the new Tetris characters crash into their world instead.

Then they get to go on a quest to stop the puyo and tetriminos from falling and stuff.

Its not exactly a riveting plot but that's the baseline of why there's kids and teenagers in the game. (And robots, bears, fish, Satan himself, magical gugugu creatures, etc)

If you wanna see actual character synopsis there's a little blurb for the characters in the demo's Manual.

Imagine a fighting game plotline where the exaggerated characters keep coming up with spurious reasons to fight each other, then sanitize the story and characters to appeal to elementary school girls

Neiteio

The Puyo characters are generally just students and teachers who battle each other using Puyo. But Puyo can sometimes just straight up warp you to another world.

This game is has it flip a little and actually just has the new Tetris characters crash into their world instead.

Then they get to go on a quest to stop the puyo and tetriminos from falling and stuff.

Its not exactly a riveting plot but that's the baseline of why there's kids and teenagers in the game. (And robots, bears, fish, Satan himself, magical gugugu creatures, etc)

If you wanna see actual character synopsis there's a little blurb for the characters in the demo's Manual.

Imagine a fighting game plotline where the exaggerated characters keep coming up with spurious reasons to fight each other, then sanitize the story and characters to appeal to elementary school girls
Hmm, that sounds fine. I guess I'll give this a try.

tsundoku

Because its basically a children's cartoon about dumb puzles? Not every child character has to be something for you to jack off to.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, trying to master sandwich patterns in Puyo is super frustrating. I'm a lot better at stairs, but I know that's too fragile/rigid a pattern to use efficiently. When watching streams it makes perfect sense and I can mostly follow the players and combos, but when it comes to pulling it off myself I'm still a ways off :p

Anyway I can't wait for Tuesday :D

Even though I'd love the keychains, I know I'd never play this if I had to switch carts every time I want a quick match, so this was the easiest digital decision ever. Plus it's only about 1 GB.

Persona7

Banned
There's no mention of emailing a code, seems to be shipping the physical card only. If there is an option to get a 10 and 20 dollar code emailed to me that'd be great because otherwise I'm waiting two weeks to pay an extra 50% on the Australian eShop.

It literally says "Digital Code" in the title. Not sure if they actually email the codes. I believe they just pop up in your digital products list.

Etria

There's no mention of emailing a code, seems to be shipping the physical card only. If there is an option to get a 10 and 20 dollar code emailed to me that'd be great because otherwise I'm waiting two weeks to pay an extra 50% on the Australian eShop.

I haven't tried purchasing an eShop code before, but it says 'Digital Code' in the product description, so if it's anything like the US PSN digital codes that Amazon sells, they will instantly provide you the code once the transaction has been completed.

vanty

It literally says "Digital Code" in the title. Not sure if they actually email the codes. I believe they just pop up in your digital products list.

I haven't tried purchasing an eShop code before, but it says 'Digital Code' in the product description, so if it's anything like the US PSN digital codes that Amazon sells, they will instantly provide you the code once the transaction has been completed.

I must be getting redirected to something else then because there's no mention of digital anything and when I added it to cart to see if some option appeared there was all just physical shipping stuff. Not sure what is happening.

Shahadan

It says "get the download code instantly" it'll pop up in your library

vanty

It says "get the download code instantly" it'll pop up in your library

I honestly don't think I'm getting the same page as you guys. There is no mention of a code anywhere, and the comments/questions are all saying it's a card and not a code.

Top Bottom