• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unclear future of DJMAX

Please keep in mind that this thread is from late 2013; further developments are below.

This has been a troubled year for the still relatively young music game franchise, and unfortunately for the most part the news has not been good. I'll start by recapping what we know:

• After many delays due to reasons beyond Pentavision Global's control, DJMAX Technika Tune for the PS VITA comes out a few months behind schedule. It fails to attract any retail attention, with neither Amazon nor GameStop stocking even a single copy, and is sold almost exclusively through technikatune.com and PSN.
  • Pentavision Global's community manager, Eddie, leaves the company shortly after Technika Tune's release, and the DJMAX Facebook page goes largely silent.
  • After a long silence, a new product is finally unveiled: DJMAX Technika Q for iOS and Android. Notably, Pentavision's branding is nowhere to be found; Neowiz had acquired Pentavision some time ago but this is the first instance where they did not use the brand.
  • Technika Q's release in Korea comes and goes, and absolutely nothing is spoken as to releases outside of that country.
  • Planetboom, a long time member of the DJMAX development team, reveals in November he has left the company, and that no one else from the DJMAX team remains. Some content has been left in Neowiz's hands for future updates, but the future of the series is up in the air.
  • Earlier this month, shocking everyone, the game's Japanese publisher, CyberFront, is suddenly and without warning dissolved by their parent company.
  • Neowiz announces that they are pulling the plug on all online services for DJMAX Technika (arcade) and Trilogy. The server shutdown has occurred, and as feared, no end-of-life patch to the game was applied, meaning close to 80% of DJMAX Technika's content is now completely inaccessible.
  • Yesterday, after sporadic updates, the DJMAX Facebook posts this. Subtle, no?
Which brings us to right now: Just under an hour ago, the DJMAX Facebook has rebranded itself: it is now the "FAN OPERATED facebook page for the DJMAX franchise (formerly the official page operated by Pentavision Global)." They then kicked things off with this message:

Hello everyone. I am Jinho from South Korea, mother country of PENTAVISION. Thanks to Eddie, I became another administrator with Eddie. It's great to see all you guys. Since PENTAVISION disappeared, DJMAX series was maintained really hard by some members from PENTAVISION. In 2013.12.31 AM10:00 KST, DJMAX TECHNIKA's PLATINUM CREW(Online service) stopped operating and also DJMAX Trilogy's server was closed too. I'm really sorry that only remaining DJMAX is now DJMAX TECHNIKA Q which is on iOS/Android. I will update some news for DJMAX TECHNIKA Q and I can help you about having problems to play with. Also, I will upload new songs for TECHNIKA Q. For last, I am not directly related to PENTAVISION or NEOWIZ MOBILE so Me and Eddie cannot respond to the TECHNIKA TUNE's DLC release.... So sorry for that...

And in comments:

Because I am not company official, I cannot tell you about the plan. But 'There is NO DEVELOPERS OF TECHNIKA / TECHNIKA TUNE in NEOWIZ NOW'. I feel really sorry for it :( DLC may not available for older products of TECHNIKA.

Because I'm not a member of NEOWIZ mobile, I cannot tell you exactly. Through tweets of Xeronion, NEOWIZ is still thinking to publish game globally.(I saw tweets about they are positively thinking of publighing to another country) In the game data file, English and some other language support file had been founded. Maybe It can come out.(This is not the company's official opinion)

One can only hope this series goes out with a bang rather than a whimper, but at this point, I'm not optimistic.

EDIT 1/26/2014: Since the last timeline update, what used to be the official DJMAX Facebook page run by Pentavision Global was renamed by their administrators, and the Facebook alias was changed to djmaxfanpage to reflect its change in status. At some point after this renaming, someone not affiliated with Pentavision Global nor Neowiz created a new page with the old djmaxofficial alias, as it had been vacated due to the rename. Do not treat "djmaxofficial" as a reliable source of information. (EDIT 10/10/2015: As this account is now apparently controlled by PM Studios, they have asked that this section be recanted.)

In the meantime, it appears many of DJMAX's developers have gathered and formed a team named "Nurijoy". They won't be able to use the DJMAX name without Neowiz, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this...

Links above have been updated to once again link to the correct posts as the URLs have changed due to the renaming.

EDIT 12/21/2014: Information above is a bit dated since this thread is from last year, but a basic summary of events since:
  • A company formed by former DJMAX devs, Nurijoy, develops and premieres a new arcade music game, Beatcraft Cyclon. Many musicians who contributed to the DJMAX series are supporting the new game. Notably, it is designed as an upgrade for existing DJMAX Technika cabinets, though it does not share the same gameplay mechanics.
  • Neowiz Mobile eventually did release DJMAX Technika Q outside of Korea for Android and iOS.
  • A third party succeeds in (mostly) reverse engineering the DJMAX Technika 3 server protocol and launches an unofficial server, reenabling the content previously rendered inaccessible by the official server shutdown.
I honestly haven't been keeping up with developments since; there is probably discussion of Beatcraft Cyclon elsewhere that is more up to date.

Wonko_C

iiYUHjyExfGnm.gif

Is there any hope that another company can pick this franchise up?

I've been interested in picking it up on Vita but it's $45 fucking dollars on PSN and I don't think it even has a demo. Even the physical copy of Killzone Mercenaries caps at $40. I can't even think of another Vita game that's over $40.

I've been interested in picking it up on Vita but it's $45 fucking dollars on PSN and I don't think it even has a demo. Even the physical copy of Killzone Mercenaries caps at $40. I can't even think of another Vita game that's over $40.

To be fair, the game has an expensive music license on top of an already very large songlist - the game either reaches or came very close to the maximum size allowed for a Vita game. It's not exactly lacking on content. The old OT is still up if you want to read more about what it has to offer you.

Bio-Frost

This sucks. Picked up the psn version day one and imported all the psp versions. Hopefully this franchise isnt dead. Will need to get a physical copy for vita before the prices shoot up

I'm guessing this is the reason why the promised DLC support for Technika Tune also never materialised as well, or why it never got an EU release even on PSN.

Does anyone know if the JP/Korean/Asian releases have an English menu option? The US release seems to be impossible to find even on eBay.

Wonko_C

It's worth it, heck it's worth even more than that. Besides Persona 4, this has been my most played game (over 100 hours). But I can understand the hesitation when you have no way of trying it out before buying. There's a demo on the Japanese PlayStation Store, in case you don't mind resetting/account switching your Vita.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty sad but I'm not too surprised. Sigh. :(

Guess I just need to get a better job and buy a IIDX arcade machine if I want new rhythm games.

Diebuster

The good die young. :(

I really hope the franchise manages to bounce back in some form. The DJMAX titles are my favorite rhythm games bar none.

Atomsky

Banned
I really had a good time with DJMax 2 on the PSP. Imported the Vita one and couldn't stand it. Guess that's where it was going.

JEKKI

it's all my fault...

coz I bought all the import versions on PSP,

that when it came to america I didnt bother coz I already had it :(

I didnt buy Xenoblade in america for the same reason lol.

Call of Duty?
Figures lol.

To be fair, the game has an expensive music license on top of an already very large songlist - the game either reaches or came very close to the maximum size allowed for a Vita game. It's not exactly lacking on content. The old OT is still up if you want to read more about what it has to offer you.
I think that particular version, despite content value, is priced too high for most people that aren't already fans of it is what I'm saying. The floor needs to be lowered a bit even if you have to cut some content and sell it separately as DLC (ie lower the price to $20 or $30 and sell the difference between $45 as DLC). That would be my jump in pint at least. Thanks for the link though. I'll do a little more research to see if it might be worth it for me.

EDIT:
I just saw there's a PSP one on PSN for $20. How is it? I'd be willing to jump in on that price if it's good.

Yasumi

Banned
It's unfortunate. DJ Max always had some of my favorite rhythm game music. Hopefully Trilogy stays accessible in some capacity.

I feel bad :(
I found out about the series only recently but now it's too late!

I guess all I can do now is pick up the digital copy off PSN when I get some spare purchasing cash...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Eh, whatever. It had a good run. A lot of good PSP games, and a great title on the Vita. If this is it for the franchise, I'm still satisfied with what we did get.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is DJ Max available physically on Vita (preferably in English)? There's no European PSN version and memory card switching to US is a major hassle. Would love to play this.

Used to love the EZ2DJ arcade games. Damn they were fun.

Ogawa-san

I just saw there's a PSP one on PSN for $20. How is it? I'd be willing to jump in on that price if it's good.
Tracklist aside, they're very different games. The Vita one is entirely touch-based.

I personally like Technika Tune more since I played the shit outta Ouendan & etc, but YMMV.

Yuuichi

I just got it about a month ago and really like it, shame this has to happen to it. I think it was a combination of price and questionable marketing more than anything.

KaiPow

Banned
I'm guessing this is the reason why the promised DLC support for Technika Tune also never materialised as well, or why it never got an EU release even on PSN.

Does anyone know if the JP/Korean/Asian releases have an English menu option? The US release seems to be impossible to find even on eBay.

When I get my situation more organized, I'll put my copy up for sale. Eddie sent a digital copy to review and a physical copy (still sealed) found its way into my hands shortly around the same time.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Damn, that's too bad. While I was never a huge fan of Technika (and disliked the vita port), I loved their standard releases before it. I still have the trilogy controller for the pc, will have to fire it up one of these days.

Can you elaborate on the "80% of content not accessible" for the Vita game?
Were most of the songs DLC?

Pretty sure he's referring to the arcade release.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Damn, that's too bad. While I was never a huge fan of Technika (and disliked the vita port), I loved their standard releases before it. I still have the trilogy controller for the pc, will have to fire it up one of these days.

Pretty sure he's referring to the arcade release.

Ah ok.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Same. Its upsetting. Djmaxx was my first real hardcore rhythm game and I want to recapture that high on my vita.
45 dollars, cmon son license some shit from bandcamp next time

Shinta

Banned
I imported a few of the psp games to try the series out and could never get into it. The interface just makes it too challenging for me, and I honestly think I'm pretty good at most rhythm games. Guess I suck at this one though.

My favorite thing about this series was the awesome cover art.

252px-DJMax_Portable_Black_Square_cover.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was reading the fb page last night and saw that video.

It's disappointing that it seems to have just gone under the radar, so much so that it's likely that the IP might be dead, or simply diminished. Got to the point where I wasn't surprised we barely heard anything about Technika Q being released outside of Korea. :/

I'm fond of DJMAX and what it brought to the rhythm genre, so it's disappointing to see that it might go out like this. But I think the writing was on the wall with how Technika Tune for Vita's international release was handled with the lack of DLC and with the fact that you had to buy a hardcopy from Pentavision themselves. Pretty bummed, though.

Oh, for people with Cytus Lambda questions, this thread is here. It's on PSMobile, and for iOS/Android. It's a relatively good game with 'unlockable' songs if you do some neat stuff on the song's select screens. There is also a "sequel" called Deemo on iOS/Android also from Reyark, and the songs use piano often. There is no thread on GAF for it, but if you're interested, you can check out footage here.

megalowho

Well, damn. Thanks for the timeline and update, I know things always felt like they were up in the air when it came to DJMax as of late but it's a real shame to hear Pentavision is probably over for good.

Portable is maybe my most played rhythm game series ever, my PSP was basically my DJMax machine for the last few years of its life and remains so today. Love Technika as well, playing the Arcade version was a revelation - innovative and engrossing. Bummed that Q isn't available to download stateside, always felt tablets would be perfect for that game. And of course the soundtracks are incredible, not sure how much of that talent was in house or closely aligned with Pentavision but sucks that we won't hear more from those folks.

The way Technika Tune was rolled out felt like no one was in control or had any vested interest in it doing well, cool collectors edition aside. I guess the writing was on the wall.. just really sucks for a small team to go under this way, especially when they're one of the few out there doing justice to a fairly niche genre at this point.

culafia

The Vita version is one heck of a game. Only spent ~5 hours on it so far, but it scratches every single rhythm itch one might have. Definitely the best NA-published rhythm game on either handheld, but I can only recommend that someone buy it if they generally blow tons and tons of hours into hardcore rhythm games. It's not for everyone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I imported a few of the psp games to try the series out and could never get into it. The interface just makes it too challenging for me, and I honestly think I'm pretty good at most rhythm games. Guess I suck at this one though.

My favorite thing about this series was the awesome cover art.

252px-DJMax_Portable_Black_Square_cover.jpg

Wasn;t there some absurd 200 dollar version of this that came with like, cardobard speakers?

At least they continued porting long after Konami gave up on CS IIDX.

ePDRmLN.jpg

There's a Technika 3 machine not too far from my work. Will stop by next week and see if they've even bothered keeping it switched on.

Aw, shit. Technika Tune was a great little game, and I've enjoyed all my other brief dalliances with the franchise. Always sad to see a rhythm game go by the wayside.

oldmario

i think all versions have a english option, i got the korean version and it plays in english fine

Is DJ Max available physically on Vita (preferably in English)? There's no European PSN version and memory card switching to US is a major hassle. Would love to play this.

US, JP and KOR regions have it physically

Man, this is depressing news.
The worst part about these developments has to be the outright cutting of online services.
Making that much content inaccessible wholesale like that is downright unacceptable.

First CS IIDX.
Now DJMAX.
What's a virtual DJ to do... :(

Rahk

So sad. I put so many hours in the DJMax Portable series. I bought the Japanese version of Black Square on PSN recently and have been having fun with that again. Much better without the autocorrect.

Hopefully the devs go on to make other rhythm games.

Astarte

I read the title as DMX. Both their futures are unclear, though.

Please don't leave us DJMax, I liked playing your games! Sucked terribly, but loved them nonetheless.

igor

Is there a point in buying Technika on Vita? I mean, DLC aside, this is pretty much a standalone release right? I need to buy the game soon even if I don't own Vita (...yet).

Fantastic series. It was hardcore enough while maintaining certain accessibility (Konami's games are often "too Japanese" I feel). It was a series that made PSP a must have console in my eyes. I got into the series late, with the third DJ Max Portable but I was in love (I tried out the demo of the second one but it was too difficult at the beginning so I never bothered with the series until the third one). Amazing production values, great music. It wasn't the best game in the series, especially in content (terrible patterns! awwwwful levelling up! shit mission mode!), but soon after that I got Fever (which is a pretty mediocre release, all things considered) and Clazziquai/Black Square dual pack which is one of the best gaming purchases I have ever made. "Fermion", "Son of Sun", "Heart of Witch", "Flower, Wolf and Kimchi" (...or something like that). Just magnificent.

I only had a chance to play Technika on iPhone with the Q release and it was so much fun. I wonder if it's Technika that got company into trouble. I always felt that they are stuck up in the way they approach the West - Clazziquai and Black Sqaure have never seen the Western release. Technika in Europe did not exist and their only American publisher was a joke (vide Fever and 3 release fiasco). In that way, I'm not surprised that Pentavision flopped. There were a lot of fans in the west that they never really bothered to cater to and the company largest step forward was the first Technika. I thought the brand will expand but it felt smaller and more exclusive than ever.

My favourite would probably be Black Square (which I am going to play as soon as I finish this post) but I spent a lot of time with the third one. A lot of people would disagree but I thought the remixes of the old classics are superior to the originals. And the other songs are some of my favourites in the series.

DJ Max Technika Tune was the first game I really enjoyed in the series and I REALLY enjoyed it. Was just thinking the other day that I couldn't wait for the next game so this is really disappointing.

If the idea of a game that plays like an improved Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan that features a ton of korean music (mostly pop but several other styles too) sound at all appealing to you, then you need to pick up this game, even at the high price tag. It's probably the Vita game I've spent the most time on next to Persona 4 Golden. And I wouldn't wait - given all these problems, I wouldn't be surprised if the game got pulled from the PSN at some point.

Top Bottom