• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Oxn

That's a pretty small venue for those two. They each have several songs that have 300-500 million plays on Spotify

Wow i actually never heard the name clean bandit, but after looking them up i have heard it on the radio before, just never their name. Guess they are pretty big and yea webster hall is small especially since they have so many floors and sections.

mr stroke

Ultra’s Resistance announces 8-week Sasha & John Digweed Ibiza residency

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/201...eover-sasha-john-digweed-exclusive-residents/

K6RAYiH.jpg

Aomber

RUMOR: Gorillaz new album to feature collaborations with Vince Staples, Pusha T and more

Unconfirmed tracklist:

Andromeda (Feat. D.R.A.M.)
Ascension (Feat. Vince Staples)
Busted And Blue
Carnival (Feat. Anthony Hamilton)
Charger (Feat. Grace Jones)
Circle Of Friendz (Feat. Brandon Markell Holmes)
Halfway To The Halfway House (Feat. Peven Everett)
Hallelujah Money (Feat. Benjamin Clementine)
Interlude: Elevator Going Up
Interlude: New World
Interlude: Penthouse
Interlude: Talk Radio
Interlude: The Elephant
Interlude: The Non-conformist Oath
Intro: I Switched My Robot Off
Let Me Out (Feat. Mavis Staples & Pusha T)
Momentz (Feat. De La Soul)
Out Of Body (Feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz & Imani Voshana)
Saturnz Barz (Feat. Popcaan)
Sex Murder Party (Feat. Jamie Principle & Zebra Katz)
She’s My Collar (Feat. Kali Uchis)
Strobelite (Feat. Peven Everett)
Submission (Feat. Danny Brown & Kelela)
The Apprentice (Feat. Rag’n’bone Man, Zebra Katz & Ray BLK)
Ticker Tape (Feat. Carly Simon & Kali Uchis)
We Got The Power (Feat. Jehnny Beth)

Aomber

EDIT: It turns out Zara Larsson first got recognized for winning "sweden's got talent". That would explain a lot about my point and her vocal style.

Clean Bandit - Symphony feat. Zara Larsson [Official Video]

I feel like I like the idea of Clean Bandit more than I actually like Clean Bandit. They have some great ideas but something's never quite right - they write some nice music and they feature some decent singers, but in my opinion they often don't nail the combination, it always comes off as cheesy.

The only GREAT song I've ever heard from them is Rather Be, and I'm guessing that's because Jimmy Napes was involved (writes with Disclosure, Sam Smith, Google him). Since Symphony is a relatively similar song, it's fair to make comparisons, and most notably Jess Glynne's vocals are mixed a lot dryer in Rather Be compared to Zara Larsson. It feels like the vocalist on this song is singing on American Idol, and to give some context to the vocal styles they tend to lean towards, they collaborated on Tears with Louisa Johnson who was literally an X-Factor contestant. It's just very distracting from what could be great production, the vocals are huge and bright especially in the parts with the layered harmonies, but the production isn't prominent enough to compliment that stylistic decision... If this were Zara Larsson Feat. Clean Bandit I might understand, but I don't feel like Clean Bandit do themselves any favor by having these really vocally prominent songs, it feels like their music takes a back seat and the vocalist is the point of the song. Really unfortunate especially with their nice orchestral sound direction.

That being said I much, MUCH prefer this kind of song to the mediocrity that is Rockabye. Sean Paul, never again.

Also that awkward moment when the one guy is "playing acoustic drums" in the music video but the drums are Roland 808/909 drum machine samples

mr stroke

Is Techno making a main stage comeback ?

Surprised to see the Top 10 Beatport tracks all Techno/Tech house

(Anecdotal evidence- I saw Tchami the other night and he dropped a lot of Techno/Tech House and the kids ate it up. The darker harder techno tracks seemed to play very well with the crowd)

Aomber

Is Techno making a main stage comeback ?

Surprised to see the Top 10 Beatport tracks all Techno/Tech house

(Anecdotal evidence- I saw Tchami the other night and he dropped a lot of Techno/Tech House and the kids ate it up. The darker harder techno tracks seemed to play very well with the crowd)
Probably not. The reason you're seeing all those kinds of tracks in the beatport top 10 is because beatport is owned by SFX. If you know the current state of SFX you'll know why mainstream producers aren't pushing beatport sales.

Just had the misfortune of watching that clip Axwell / Ingrosso just posted of their new track. Wtf Axwell. You can do so much better.

With how popular and big the Swedish House Mafia got it was obvious they would continue down this line of music with both the songs they make and their set selections, but it's still a shame.

You wouldn't think these were the same guys behind the Swedish House Mafia Essential Mix 2010 at Creamfields. I was at that set and it blew me away. To this day it's still the best set I've seen.

It was three guys, a set of decks, a whole​lot of house music and more importantly passion. The Axwell / Ingrosso sets I saw in Ibiza and Tomorrowland since then have been so soulless and so scripted. The passion isn't there.

Aomber

Just had the misfortune of watching that clip Axwell / Ingrosso just posted of their new track. Wtf Axwell. You can do so much better.

With how popular and big the Swedish House Mafia got it was obvious they would continue down this line of music with both the songs they make and their set selections, but it's still a shame.

You wouldn't think these were the same guys behind the Swedish House Mafia Essential Mix 2010 at Creamfields. I was at that set and it blew me away. To this day it's still the best set I've seen.

It was three guys, a set of decks, a whole​lot of house music and more importantly passion. The Axwell / Ingrosso sets I saw in Ibiza and Tomorrowland since then have been so soulless and so scripted. The passion isn't there.
Are you talking about "I love you"? Completely with you, I totally slammed that track in this thread. It's literally a shitty hip hop edm rip-off of bittersweet symphony.

They fell off hard, there's no question about it, I guess we know now who the real talent behind SHM was lol

Are you talking about "I love you"? Completely with you, I totally slammed that track in this thread. It's literally a shitty hip hop edm rip-off of bittersweet symphony.

They fell off hard, there's no question about it, I guess we know now who the real talent behind SHM was lol

I'm not, it's this one I'm on about. Be warned it's terrible

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR09ipBDEvE/

I do agree with you on "I Love You" as well though. If i heard that on the radio I'd think it was a Justin Bieber or someone track. Definitely not something by Axwell.

Yeah, Angello may not be perfect, Wild Youth is borderline on par with what Axwell / Ingrosso are doing but his sets, BBC Radio 1 Residency and what he signs and puts out on Size is leaps and bounds ahead of what / are doing. And there's always the Illusive Mescal Kid that's rumoured to be making an appearance again this year....

Aomber

I'm not, it's this one I'm on about. Be warned it's terrible

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR09ipBDEvE/

I do agree with you on "I Love You" as well though. If i heard that on the radio I'd think it was a Justin Bieber or someone track. Definitely not something by Axwell.

Yeah, Angello may not be perfect, Wild Youth is borderline on par with what Axwell / Ingrosso are doing but his sets, BBC Radio 1 Residency and what he signs and puts out on Size is leaps and bounds ahead of what / are doing. And there's always the Illusive Mescal Kid that's rumoured to be making an appearance again this year....
HAHAHA oh wow I just got into NYC today and I was thinking "damn it's too bad these two are playing a day before", guess I didn't miss out on too much judging from that short clip!

Sure, I'll share it. Have to give it more listens before I can conclude whether I like it or not.

Damn.... I'm gonna be missing out on most streams of Ultra this weekend. Fuck.

Sure, I'll share it. Have to give it more listens before I can conclude whether I like it or not.

Thanks!! Really appreciate that you would share it. This is considered pretty Poppy EDM, right? Don't know what it would be besides that (sub genre wise) I write in a lot of genres and sometimes it can get quite jumbled up for me, so I'm definitely not an expert at the different sub genres of EDM if I'm being honest.

I was only involved in composition on this record and not any production which would explain my ignorance.

It's definitely one of the more contemporary sounding records I've been involved in, so I'm pleased about that. Really do love the vibe.

Yeah, it's what I would consider Pop EDM. There are more ways to define it, no doubt.

It's a fun track. I like it.

If you were looking for the Production side of things, Aomber will more than likely help you with that.

Yeah, it's what I would consider Pop EDM. There are more ways to define it, no doubt.

It's a fun track. I like it.

If you were looking for the Production side of things, Aomber will more than likely help you with that.

Awesome I def need help in that area! I'm halfway decent at producing in general, but much more effective for a songwriting/production unit if I've just got a guitar in my hands and compose chords and melodies :D

Glad you like the record!

Hey not bad! One question – are you part of k?d, Phil Good, or an independent contributor?

Thanks! Just an independent composer :]

I work a lot with one of the main writers/composers, Chizzy, of the song who wrote the song with Phil Good (the guy who's voice you hear)

There were 3-4 other writers on the record as well who's names I can't recall right now. Basically the song started with and was written around a guitar riff I wrote and ended up turning into something pretty different, but they still credited me as a composer even though my guitars were taken out in the end. Always nice to work with good, honest people in the industry :]

Edit: Oh shit just hit 200k on SC!

Aomber

Thanks! Just an independent composer :]

Got it – I was gonna say, I like the actual composition in terms of the harmonies, melodies and such. I think those were done quite nicely, good stuff on your part!

That being said, on the production end I'm not the biggest k?d fan. Since you're looking to get educated I would check out Porter Robinson and his album "Worlds", he coined what I would call a hybrid between Synthpop and EDM, and I find k?d to be a little too similar to Porter. It's not a style that'll make me raise my eyebrows if that makes sense, but take my opinion with a grain of salt, I get fussy about production style haha

Ashhong

Hey guys I co-wrote/composed on this new K?D song "Lose Myself" feat. Phil Good https://soundcloud.com/whoskid/lose-myself-ft-phil-good

Doing pretty well on Soundcloud and Spotify for 3 days, almost 200K plays(on SC) Hoping the song really starts to pick up steam.

Would love your thoughts, and if you dig it share por favor! :D

Edit: Also sorry if we're not supposed to post stuff we wrote in these kinds of threads.

I will listen if you tell me whos in your avatar :D

cdyhybrid

Thank God I didn't hold out for Paradiso vs EDC Vegas. That line up is a huge disappointment over previous years. Little bit of Trance, couple house artists, and zero techno. Peace out USC.
Yeah, that's not blowing me away. A few that I'd like to see but not enough to drag me out there.

I'll be there for ABGT250 though 😱

I like it. And dude, it's number 3 on Apple Music in Dance genre! Above Slushii/Marshmello

Never heard of K?D before

Wow I did not know this! Thanks for the good news :D Really means a lot. Just let the co-writers know on Twitter.

Song is really connecting with people. So exciting.

Also I'm so glad you like it. Thank you.

I hadn't personally heard of him till I saw his name on the split sheets either, heh :D Glad to work with him, though. I can't beieve we're at 400k on Soundcloud already...just feels surreal.

Aomber

AND this is the worst track of the week.

Katy Perry - Chained To The Rhythm (Oliver Heldens Remix)

This is really, really bad – absolutely unprofessional. I love some of the stuff Oliver does but it's really disheartening to amateur producers who kick their ass to make quality music when a remix like this gets greenlighted for a major label release.

- You can hear clipping/redlining throughout the song. This is a release on Capitol Records, which is a major record label. That's absolutely unacceptable, the people running the show over there need to clean their ears and get some professionals to do some mastering on their releases. Why Oliver even needs somebody to do that in the first place is insane to me, no producer of his level and his experience should be redlining like that – I understand that certain guys do it as an effect, but this is definitely not one of those cases.
- Some of the notes he uses towards the end of the chord progression in the hook/drop are completely out of key with the original song. How does this even happen? How is Oliver Heldens one of the top producers in the world and makes a track that's so painfully out of key?
- Sounds like it was made in 30 minutes. The BPM bump is really awkward, original song is 95 bpm and this is pumped up to 120 bpm to accommodate for a house feeling. When you make that dramatic of a change to the tempo of an original song, it usually doesn't translate well, and Ableton's warping effect doesn't do the major change any favors in retaining the quality of the original vocal.

It's really unfortunate that this had to see the light of day. I understand that there are label deadlines, but there's zero excuse for this. If you're a professional level producer, you should definitely not be doing most of the things highlighted in this post.

I wish the Gorillaz album would release sooner so I could have something positive to say right now, but I don't want to comment too much on the music they've already released. I will be doing a writeup about the entire album when it releases, all I can say is go enjoy that stuff instead, or go listen to the Bonobo album I wrote about earlier on this page. Don't give this track too much attention, it's just a rant about how low quality music like this gets recognized.

Aomber

yeah that sucks lol
(and I have a man crush on Helden's)

and why the fuck are they calling this "Deep House" ??!!!??? THIS IS NOT FUCKING DEEP HOUSE, NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Lol'd when they called it deep house in the description but future house in the comments. Make up your mind! :p

Woahhhh I can't wait for this album. Andromeda got me fucked up, what a great song
Love Andromeda, that and Ascension are my favorites of the group

Top Bottom