• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft reprinting Beyond Good & Evil to sell for $9.99?

Firestorm

I was at EB today and saw this:
zn1npl.png

It's the binder with all the upcoming releases. It says to order your copy for $9.99 and it'll be coming in September. Is this to hype up Beyond Good & Evil 2?

There's been a few other reprints lately too. I've seen Future Shop advertising Hotel Dusk for the DS as "Get it first!" and Clubhouse Games as a new release.

diss

Banned
the performance of the ps2 version was shit enough to make me not want to play it :/ pc version however was fine!

Brashnir said:
They'd have to add it to the BC list first.

The downloadable one is the one I want.

I bought the Xbox version a year back thinking it would work on the 360, and that ended up been a masive fail for me. :(

Firestorm

VOOK said:
Put the GameCube version out too :lol
Yeah, wasn't the PS2 version the worst one? =/ I already played through it on the GCN and still have my copy although I did buy it used from a CAG. Could never find it in stores.

Nemesis_

Man I remember buying this for around $20 back in the day, brand new, since it bombed so bad.

Love this game, hope this is an indication that we'll be seeing more of Beyond Good and Evil 2 soon.

thuway

PSGames said:
What's the general consensus on this game? I might pick it up.
It was a great game, but the PS2 port was shitty. Re-release with upgraded textures in 1080p Ubisoft. Save yourself the embarassment.

Darkpen

Banned
actually, I don't understand what everyone's talking about, saying its the worst version. I played my friend's copy on the PS2, and it ran perfectly, unless I was missing something?

I'll definitely pick this up for $10. Lack of widescreen is such a lost opportunity, though.
my hdtv doesn't have zoom :(

But yeah, they really should reprint it the GC, though.

M3wThr33 said:
BUY IT. Seriously. It's worth it. (Also on Steam)

I've got to agree, I've owned and beat it on the GC (launch) and Xbox (bargain bin) and am contemplating buying this since I regret trading the game away and this is only 10$. I can't believe Ubisoft is actually making a sequel to this game. Hopefull this time they market it and don't release the game in a period where it will get slaughtered at retail.

thuway said:
It was a great game, but the PS2 port was shitty. Re-release with upgraded textures in 1080p Ubisoft. Save yourself the embarassment.

Seriously? What was wrong with it compared to the GC and Xbox versions?

I bought it full price 3 years ago for PS2 and I loved every minute of it. Eventually I didn't beat it because of the too much homework I had for the university entrance exams, but it was one really memorable game.

Darkpen

Banned
They really should've done a Wii port. The camera alone begs for a Wii port. And the combat is more or less Zelda, except without the gadgets and magic.

:/

Also, what in the world is so bad about the PS2 version?

thuway

jaundicejuice said:
From what I remember it was buggy. I eventually borrowed the Xbox version from a friend and was happy with that one for the visual upgrade. Shrug.

watkinzez

How about hype up the sequel by actually telling us something about it? Go to the official forums and the Ubi guys even deny its official existence, saying "It's just a trailer".

It's too late for me to start delving into the text of a bunch of reviews but given the virtual lack of a difference in scores across all of the SKU's for BG&E--less than 1% according to gamerankings.com--I imagine it's a few minor technical hiccups compared to the GC and Xbox version.

Brashnir

Keyser Soze said:
The downloadable one is the one I want.

I bought the Xbox version a year back thinking it would work on the 360, and that ended up been a masive fail for me. :(

The downloadable Xbox Originals all run through emulation, so it has to be on the BC list before they can release it as a download.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
jaundicejuice said:
It's too late for me to start delving into the text of a bunch of reviews but given the virtual lack of a difference in scores across all of the SKU's for BG&E--less than 1% according to gamerankings.com--I imagine it's a few minor technical hiccups compared to the GC and Xbox version.
Keep in mind that the PS2 version released way earlier than the other ones, so this difference isn't too telling.

thuway said:
Fuck Ubi, release a Wii port. I know someone out there will buy it.
Ubishit already proved that they don't give a shit about the Wii . . . the port would probly be broken shit and they would later come out and say "Lol! Yea, it was a shit port!" Jus like with that PoP3 game (which they tried to "rename" to fool people).

Plus, they clearly don't want Nintendo fans buying BG&E given the fact that the next title of this "flopper" game is going to be HD only meaning it cost more $$$.

(Didn't the GC version sell the best?)

Yoshi said:
Keep in mind that the PS2 version released way earlier than the other ones, so this difference isn't too telling.

I'm pretty sure they all came out on the same day. The game was originally shown as a Gamecube game (Project BG&E), then later announced as multi-platform.

Anyway, the PS2 version is the same game, just with the typical PS2 shortcomings, as I recall: lower image quality, longer load times, what have you. I don't recall it having any major flaws.

Boerseun

Banned
Gamecube was the primary development platform. It looks the best and plays the best. If they're going to be reprinting any version, it should be that one.

jax (old)

Banned
BG+E was ordinary. Not even a good zelda clone and I really don't get the raving niche fanbase. The combat was boring (SFA say hi), the world ugly, and it was overall quite mehish. It bombed for good reason imo.

seriously overrated.

Jax said:
BG+E was ordinary. Not even a good zelda clone and I really don't get the raving niche fanbase. The combat was boring (SFA say hi), the world ugly, and it was overall quite mehish. It bombed for good reason imo.

seriously overrated.

The story was pretty good.

Wired

Jax said:

seriously overrated.

What the fuck?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Wired said:
What the fuck?

Don't worry everyone has an opinion, some just try to make theirs a fact.

I'll pass on it since I already own the PC version. While I really enjoyed the game a lot I don't feel it warrants repurchasing a game that I still own.

Jax said:

seriously overrated.
Chimney. Egg flip society. Handbag. Group sex.

Darkpen said:
Also, what in the world is so bad about the PS2 version?
I played it (for the first time) a month ago and the only real flaw with it was an annoying sound bug where SFXs would get stuck in infinite loops. Never seen the other versions, so it's possible they have shorter load times and other minor improvements.

ascii42

jaundicejuice said:
It was a PS2 game. I didn't notice any unusual inferiority when I played through it.
Have people forgotten that the PS2 versions of games tended to be the worst versions?

Nolan.

watkinzez said:
How about hype up the sequel by actually telling us something about it? Go to the official forums and the Ubi guys even deny its official existence, saying "It's just a trailer".

Probably decided to go with this and see how it goes before they decide if to scrap or continue with the sequel. I hope not. Since they already announced it.

KevinCow

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Only thing I noticed was pretty frequent framerate issues that I don't remember the Gamecube version having. But then, I played the Gamecube version years ago when it first came out, so maybe they were there and I just don't remember them.

RadioHeadAche said:
I bought my copy brand new and sealed for $4.99.

:D

$1.99 :D

Actually, I bought it for $20 and then sold it when I was done. Later I found a single copy in a CC clearance for $1.99 and thought it was worth having on the shelf for that price.

Top Bottom