• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Shiggy

This is all very interesting but obviously doesn't address the alleged changes in October. When are we going to get that leak?

We're not, aren't we.

10 bucks says someone will have to delid the SoC and take some pretty pictures before we know the final score. Just like last time.

We'll see it when they make the dev kit available on their developer portal. Everyone can access that.

lol what? carts are incredibly expensive compared to discs.
The 32GB ones maybe.

But considering the price of eg. DS and Vita games, it's not like it's suddenly a necessity to start selling game modes separately or to otherwise change pricing strategy dramatically because these cartridges are 'incredibly expensive'.

I don't believe that for a second.

Buggy Loop

At this point, any rumors "leaked" from LKD should be banned on this forum. Her home run score is in the negatives now.

I'll admit I'm wrong about Splatoon, but you all focused on that one statement and ignored everything else. The point was that Nintendo should have much more in the pipeline and the worry they wouldn't have anything else to release if these games came out at launch shouldn't be a factor. If it is, then you'd wonder what they've been doing the past few years.

I mean... is this really the conversation you want to be having about first-party published year one lineups?

Standard text is brand-new games, italicized are late ports/remasters. Asterisks indicate games that weren't made by in-house development teams:

Nintendo Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2 Switch
Snipperclips*
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors*
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Total: 9 games
New games: 8 games
In-house: 7 games
Remasters: 1 games
(2017 games only; more unannounced games likely forthcoming)

PlayStation 4
Resogun*
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Sound Shapes*
Flower
flOw
Infamous Second Son
MLB 14: The Show
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition*
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate*
The Last of Us Remastered
Hohokum*
Driveclub
The Unfinished Swan*

Total: 14 games
New: 7 games
Remasters: 7 games
(Actual released games from first holiday to before second holiday)

Xbox One
Crimson Dragon*
Dead Rising 3*
Forza Motorsport 5
LocoCycle*
Powerstar Golf*
Ryse: Son of Rome*
Zoo Tycoon*
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Halo: Spartan Assault
Kinect Sports Rivals
Dance Central Spotlight*
D4*
Minecraft
Project Spark
Sunset Overdrive*
Forza Horizon 2

Total: 16 games
New: 15 games
Remasters: 1 game
(Actual released games from first holiday to before second holiday)

All told, Switch has a pretty respectable lineup of new games and even before E3 we already know at least as many of them are made in-house as Sony/MS put out.

I don't see how anyone can point to their first-party published lineup as weak at this point.

At this point, any rumors "leaked" from LKD should be banned on this forum. Her home run score is in the negatives now.

She nailed the big-picture hardware stuff at the beginning. But all of her leaks about the nitty-gritty stuff, and about software, have been really flakey.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, even with eurogamer's clocks, it's a ridiculous step up for 3ds owners like myself and offers a noticeable step up from the wii u when docked.

It's a monumental leap lol. It's launching as one of the most graphically capable portable devices on the market at that price point. I say "capable" because it is thermally designed for "high-end" gaming, whereas most portable devices aren't. It also runs a software stack optimized for games, not general-purpose multi-tasking of apps.

If you view it as a 3DS successor it's a fantastic leap, for sure. But according to Nintendo that's not what it is. They're saying it's the successor to the Wii U, that it's primarily a home console, and that the 3DS will keep existing alongside it. From that perspective it's a pretty disappointing upgrade. The actual reality, of course, is that Nintendo has bowed out of the home console race, and is from now on only doing handhelds (one more powerful with TV-out, one less powerful). And if you can accept that it's a very cool device. Still, that's not how they're marketing it.

Shin-Ra

Hopefully videos are VP9 encoded as standard to make the most of storage.

Up to 400MB/sec reads on internal storage could really help stream-heavy games and general load times but games need to operate with the minimum guaranteed storage reads of game cards or potentially SD cards/USB storage.

The 32GB ones maybe.

But considering the price of eg. DS and Vita games, it's not like it's suddenly a necessity to start selling game modes separately or to otherwise change pricing strategy dramatically because these cartridges are 'incredibly expensive'.

I don't believe that for a second.
All carts are more expensive than optical discs. This isn't a discussion, it's fact. DLC, or whatever may be false but carts are more expensive than optical discs.

z0m3le

Banned
Okay. So:

Wii U CPU: 33 GFLOPS (???)
Wii U GPU: 176.0 GFLOPS

Switch GPU Undocked: 157 GFLOPS
Switch GPU Docked : 393 GFLOPS

PS3 CPU: 230.4 GFLOPS
PS3 GPU: 400.4 GFLOPS

Xbox 360 CPU: 115.2 GFLOPS
Xbox 360 GPU: 240 GFLOPS

PS4 CPU: 102.4 GLOPS
PS4 GPU: 1,843 GLOPS

PS4 Pro CPU: 134.4 GFLOPS
PS4 Pro GPU: 4,197 GFLOPS

Fixed, the ps3's is also wrong iirc but it mostly is because of architecture anyways, as the ps3's gpu was far less capable than 360's and thus the cell cpu ended up compensating heavily for it.

There is a lesson here though, newer architectures are better per flop than older ones and you shouldn't compare amd and Nvidia flops directly.

Vena

The system literally has an entire fully functioning web browser built in but it can only be called by devs and display whatever single page devs pass to it.

Its sequestered so that it cannot be accessed without dev permissions and, from the looks of it, has no way of reaching the kernel. So its barely even a browser, its just an applet splash window wrapped up inside of the game operating environment.

E-phonk

Banned
If you view it as a 3DS successor it's a fantastic leap, for sure. But according to Nintendo that's not what it is. They're saying it's the successor to the Wii U, that it's primarily a home console, and that the 3DS will keep existing alongside it. From that perspective it's a pretty disappointing upgrade. The actual reality, of course, is that Nintendo has bowed out of the home console race, and is from now on only doing handhelds (one more powerful with TV-out, one less powerful). And if you can accept that it's a very cool device. Still, that's not how they're marketing it.

I'm quite sure they won't support the 3DS with first party after financial Q1 2018 anymore, so no, the 3DS won't keep existing alongside it and Switch is the replacement.
Also there will most likely be a "New Switch" that is smaller, might not be portable, be more energy efficient etc in 2 years, based on the same tech and compatibility.

maxcriden

Thanks for sharing this!

1) Is there any tech info in here that is contradictory to what we knew before or significantly different to recent suppositions or expectations?

2) Any important feature info beyond what's in the OP? The standouts to me were theme menu and unlock screen, both of which are cool to see.

Oh please. I don't like this off with their heads mentality.

Gamers are incredibly eager for leaks so people/websites start reporting iffy ones, too. Also, other people start leaking fake shit to leakers to get their own piece of the attention.

If you want to stop fake leaks, ban ALL leaks.

mario_O

undocked it's pretty much a wiiu, (153 gflops switch vs 176 gflops wiiu) and docked about twice the performance. (384 vs 176 wiiu).

random25

Oh come on, he has reliable intel, he just doesn't know how to deal with it.

It still is not reliable until an official source comes out in the open and publicly backs it up. Nothing against the guy, but when it comes to software leaks especially on the first party stuff the leakers have not been that reliable.

z0m3le

Banned

Marketing isn't reality, I agree with you and have said it before, this is Nintendo bowing out of the console space in as elegant a way as possible. Kozumi already has been talking about how they want switch to become your constant gaming device at home and on the go, it's really the price that allows 3ds to exist and even ds existed for a could years along side 3ds, with a new Pokémon coming to the ds a year and a half after 3ds launched.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm quite sure they won't support the 3DS with first party after financial Q1 2018 anymore, so no, the 3DS won't keep existing alongside it and Switch is the replacement.
Also there will most likely be a "New Switch" that is smaller, might not be portable, be more energy efficient etc in 2 years, based on the same tech and compatibility.

I don't believe for a second that the 3DS will keep being supported for very much longer either (I hope it won't, as one of the main draws of the Switch for me is the promise of getting all Nintendo output on a single platform), but yeah.

Zedark

Thanks for sharing this!

1) Is there any tech info in here that is contradictory to what we knew before or significantly different to recent suppositions or expectations?

2) Any important feature info beyond what's in the OP? The standouts to me were theme menu and unlock screen, both of which are cool to see.
In terms of specs, this listing seems to be an earlier version of the information that Eurogamer leaked. We still have the contest between Eurogamer and Foxconn, which isn't significantly altered since both are more recent than this leak. As z0m3le has mentioned, it seems that the DF guys said it is not impossible that different clocks will be used in new dev kits, though it kinda contradicts their own information that their own clock speeds were briefed as the launch clocks (though theoretically it could be a WiiU situation where the final specs are higher than the dev kits', but we shouldn't just assume that).

Thanks for sharing this!

I'd say the biggest tidbits that should ease a lot of concerns are:

1) The web applet which should allow users to log into public wifi without a web browser

2) The ability to join friends in custom lobbies who are currently playing games online without any need of an app

Totally lost in the tech talk.

As long as I can turn this thing on docked and think "this definitely looks nicer than Wii U" I'll be happy. Does this seem realistic?

Not really interested in undocked performance

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Marketing isn't reality, I agree with you and have said it before, this is Nintendo bowing out of the console space in as elegant a way as possible. Kozumi already has been talking about how they want switch to become your constant gaming device at home and on the go, it's really the price that allows 3ds to exist and even ds existed for a could years along side 3ds, with a new Pokémon coming to the ds a year and a half after 3ds launched.

Yep.

Kikorin

Lol guys why are you still debating on tflops and hardware things and comparing it with other consoles? We have seen games, Nintendo did tons of events to try the console, this is what Switch is, you like or not.

Seems an impressive handheld that can be played on TV too, even if Nintendo market it like an home console because of 3ds numbers that are still high and the launch price. No way Switch will come close to X1 or PS4, if this is what you are looking for probably you'll have to buy... an X1 or a PS4.

OCD Guy

What's happened with Laura Kate Dale, is there a thread that shows the U-Turn?

I have only come back to the forum after a break for a couple of months but I remember when you'd get shot down for even questioning anything she said, as people on here would act like her word was as good as coming from Reggie or Miyamoto, and if anyone posted something from elsewhere you'd be greeted with a quote from Laura herself as fact to try and prove you wrong.

And now she's like Judas lol.

What did she say?!

Oppo

Its sequestered so that it cannot be accessed without dev permissions and, from the looks of it, has no way of reaching the kernel. So its barely even a browser, its just an applet splash window wrapped up inside of the game operating environment.

you could still inject an attack with your own wifi/webpage. it's a silly approach IMO.

Lol guys why are you still debating on tflops and hardware things and comparing it with other consoles? We have seen games, Nintendo did tons of events to try the console, this is what Switch is, you like or not.

Seems an impressive handheld that can be played on TV too, even if Nintendo market it like an home console because of 3ds numbers that are still high and the launch price. No way Switch will come close to X1 or PS4, if this is what you are looking for probably you'll have to buy... an X1 or a PS4.

But maybe, just maybe, I can play a year-old FFXV port that runs at 20 FPS in 720P.

A man can dream!!

/s

I'm guessing most of us already own a PlayStation 4 or Xbox but still are hoping that the switch is a decent upgrade to the Wii U when docked.

Peltz

It is?

With all the money involved in the smartphone/tablet market for mobile SoCs that feat isn't really that incredible.
It's incredible that mobile technology in general has progressed so much. Especially considering how darn small mobile devices are these days.

OCD Guy

So how powerful/weak is it? Near XB1? Or WiiU?

Expect Wii U performance in a portable form.

Or better yet the Switch is the Wii U gamepad evolved.

To avoid any unhappiness with spec I feel Nintendo should have marketed this as a handheld device first and foremost, as opposed to a home console that can be played on the go.

I heard Reggie in an interview himself state explicitly that the Switch is a home console first and foremost but that can be played on the go.

How powerful the switch is depends on how someone is viewing it, as a portable it's fucking impressive in my opinion, minus the screen resolution of course. Although I'd prefer 720p and 60fps in most games than 1440p and 30fps.

Zedark

What's happened with Laura Kate Dale, is there a thread that shows the U-Turn?

I have only come back to the forum after a break for a couple of months but I remember when you'd get shot down for even questioning anything she said, as people on here would act like her word was as good as coming from Reggie or Miyamoto, and if anyone posted something from elsewhere you'd be greeted with a quote from Laura herself as fact to try and prove you wrong.

And now she's like Judas lol.

What did she say?!

She made a lot of predictions about the january 13 event, several (many? I didn't keep track) of which turned out to be wrong. People hated her before that already, though, the event was just vindication.

Top Bottom