• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can gaming customers be fixed?

bdoughty

Banned
Since there is the other side of the counter. I only did it part time for the discounts but I have seen enough ignorance on the other side of the counter that a few people could learn from this.

* Just bring your lazy ass in and stop making calls with a list of 30 games you need pricing on. Seriously most of the smaller EB/GS stores only have one or two people working the counter to begin with, trying to do the work of three.

* Smokers, if you trade in your system at the very least rub it down to get goo from your tar ridden fingers off everything.

* Limit yourself to 2 calls per day to check and see if your order came in. If you did not reserve the game limit it to 1 call.

* Stop bitching about pre-ordering games. It is a yes or no proposition. It's how EB/GS works and you know this. Stop wasting your precious breath trying to defend why they are evil for doing something that make good buisiness sense. If you do not like the way a business offers it's services move on to the next store.

* Put the freaking game box back where you found it. Were some of you raised in a barn?

* If you don't want the magazine just say no and do it with a simple. These guys are forced by their managers to say this stuff and if you knew all the crap they dealt with. Working retail and dealing with consumers just flat sucks. Understand that and don't make their life any more miserable then it already is.

* Check your NeoGaf at the door. Not everyone gives a hoot about the latest daily news and what Ken Katguri just said about the Xbox 360 on the internet. Just because they work in a gamestore does not mean they want to discuss them with you (especially you RPG nerds that babble on and on and on). Their job is to discuss things they can sell you or or preorder for you, not wax poetically about the latest NPD figures and how your store can turn things around for Nintendo. If it is someone you know and they enjoy your stimulating conversation, fine. If they keep trying to move away from you or constantly withdraw eye-contact - just shut the piehole, buy your goodies and get back to the message boards. (sidenote) Please for the love of all things round and full of dough, do not use "internet speak" at the counter.

* If you do not want a gutted game, simply ask to see if there is an unopened copy. If one is not available then you can declare this practice unacceptable and move on to another store.

* Do not ask where you can get a game cheaper.

* Turn your cell phones to OFF or STUN the balls. This should be implied when you walk into any place of business.

* Do not treat the front counter or game kiosk as your personal pulpit to denounce "insert publisher/MFG/ETC here."

* If an attractive girl walks into the store do not act like it is a blessing from god and that your virginity prayers have been answered. Chances are they are there to pick up NCAA 06 for their boyfriend. Just hide in the corner and hold in the giggle until she has finished the purchase and leaves.

* If an average looking girl comes in to purchase Anime or and RPG they are still off limits, because two people who love Anime and RPG's really should not bee hooking up and breeding.

* Yea you only get 50 cents for Madden 2001 for the PS2. Deal with it you broke ass chump. :D

Just a few off the top of my head. This one is for those who have served behind the counter or have seen such injustices. Fire back!

how about do your job and stop complaining or quit?

gamestore customers have a lot more bullshit to deal with than people shopping at other sectors of retail.

terrene

Banned
Yes, this thread will surely increase the love between EB/Gamestop and its customers.

You oughta be glad you don't work there anymore; I'd fire your ass for posting this shit if I were your boss. lol, not that I'd ever work at Gamestop.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
No, I don't want a pre played copy. No that box you opened and threw a disc in is not new, **** off. If you ask me if I want a used one or tell me that open piece of shit is new again, I'll kock over the magazine rack, God help me.

Oh, wait, I get games wholesale from a friend who owns a store.

*sticks it to the man*

bdoughty

Banned
Wafflecopter said:
I don't think I like you. Condescending people deserve a special place in a basement.

Ahh I must have hit to close to home. Let me guess, RPG guy hoping for pretty girl?

terrene said:
Yes, this thread will surely increase the love between EB/Gamestop and its customers.

You oughta be glad you don't work there anymore; I'd fire your ass for posting this shit if I were your boss. lol, not that I'd ever work at Gamestop.

:lol This thread is going to win a lot of awards in my book

border

Seems like a bunch of reasonable requests......though people will probably whine at you and this will turn into yet another thread about the how crappy EB is since they don't stock friggin' NES games.

bdoughty said:

Do your ****ing job. You don't have a right complaining about a job you get paid for. If you want your job to be convenient run your own business and don't deal with the outside world.

Ranger X

border said:
Seems like a bunch of reasonable requests......though people will probably whine at you and this will turn into yet another thread about the how crappy EB is since they don't stock friggin' NES games.

:lol :lol

well first off they need to get started on moving out of their mom's basement and getting laid. then they can work on it from there

:p

DarknessTear said:
Do your ****ing job. You don't have a right complaining about a job you get paid for. If you want your job to be convenient run your own business and don't deal with the outside world.

Hah.. Yea cause you know you dont complain about your job..

Try searching "Do you like your job" in off-topic.. Yea..

Everyone complains about something.. I love my job to death at GameStop, but then again I'm not a counter monkey :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
meltpotato said:
how about do your job and stop complaining or quit?

gamestore customers have a lot more bullshit to deal with than people shopping at other sectors of retail.

WRONG. Work doing customer service for a while. If sucks ass every ****ing day.

DarknessTear said:

This is why people suck, especially working in customer service in any company and or place of business. If you worked in customer service for more than 6 months, I applaud you for not reaching over the counter and stabbing that customer to death. People suck, this is the truth, I think it is also in the Bible.

Do you know these people have to deal with idiot video game fanboys, the stupid dumbass customer that wants to return their new game or that idiot that wants half price of a game that has no box or instructions and scratched to death. They have to deal with asshole people who want to make a quick buck and trading in 100 dvds that isnt worth anything for 10 bucks to buy a burger king dinner. I'm not even going to talk about those that like hanging out at a gamestore.

I have some, well many grips, but when i go to buy a game at EB or gamestop i act in a pleasant graceful manner, if i dont want to pre-order, i just say no, politely. I work in customer service (not in sales THANK goodness) but i can understand what these people deal with on a daily basis.

Ranger X

DarknessTear said:

And you as a customer you should have manners and be polite wherever you go and when dealing with ANY store/business/person.
People having a message like yours doesn't seem to get the 2 sides of the coin here. It's people working the other side of the counter and not only tools to suck your all mighty cock.

bdoughty

Banned
neojubei said:
WRONG. Work doing customer service for a while. If sucks ass every ****ing day.

Almost...

The worst job is dealing (via phone) with anyone who purchases product on the "internet." See they are on the other side of a phone jack and have no problem calling you every name in the book.

Ranger X said:
And you as a customer you should have manners and be polite wherever you go and when dealing with ANY store/business/person.
People having a message like yours doesn't seem to get the 2 sides of the coin here. It's people working the other side of the counter and not only tools to suck your all mighty cock.

Where are you getting all of this from? Besides my all mighty cock. Yes, my cock is all mighty.

bdoughty said:
Almost...

The worst job is dealing (via phone) with anyone who purchases product on the "internet." See they are on the other side of a phone jack and have no problem calling you every name in the book.

Thats easy .. Just say "Right Right I understand" over and over.. its not like the guy can punch you.

bdoughty

Banned
Wafflecopter said:
I shope online. Way to prove you're condescending moron with you're assumptions though.

Ahh RPG guy who shops online because of that whole girls/cooties scare. I feel you man. Stepping outside is not for everyone. God bless e-commerce and the people who sell Magic the Gathering cards online.

neojubei

bdoughty said:
Almost...

Welcome to my job. And I work in insurance, very fun. I'd like to see how some of these people here fair when dealing with people calling them every name in the book from a 70 year old woman and trying to stay calm and polite.

bdoughty said:
Ahh RPG guy who shops online because of that whole girls/cooties scare. I feel you man. Stepping outside is not for everyone. God bless e-commerce and the people who sell Magic the Gathering cards online.

You're a complete moron, and not funny. First sign of a baiter is they turn around and switch the shit talking when they're proven wrong.

"Vans suck."

"I don't drive a van. I have a sedan."

"Sedan's suck."

neojubei

Wafflecopter said:
I shope online. Way to prove you're condescending moron with you're assumptions though.

Awwe calling someone a moron over the internet. You must very pleasant to customer service over the phone, huh?

bdoughty

Banned
Wafflecopter said:
You're a complete moron, and not funny. First sign of a baiter is they turn around and switch the shit talking when they're proven wrong.

"Vans suck."

"I don't drive a van. I have a sedan."

"Sedan's suck."

Still have yet to be proven wrong. Trust me, when and if you do make it outside people can be dicks on both sides of the counter. This thread is simply a reminder of that. If you live by what the NEOGAF concensus thinks then yes, God does need to use better pixel shadders and more anti-aliasing.

ChrisReid

bdoughty said:

I work at GameStop for five years. Half your list is silly little stuff that shouldn't be on there, and there's plenty of much bigger crap clerks have to deal with that you left off. And you're coming across as a giant jerk in this thread.

I ran an EB for about 4 years. I quit after they hired a new VP of marketing who forced us to shove game doctor down everyones throats, so I've seen both sides of this arguement.

Customer service drones:

1) Its understandable that people do not want games with stickers all over them, or used games for $5 less than new games. Take a hint and STOP pushing it on people more than the time you are required to.
2) Your personal opinion on a game is meaningless to me when I specifically come in looking for x title. Give me my goddamn game and shut up about your personal qualms with it. You arent going to convert me.
3) I'm a customer. I would like to be greeted and asked a minute or two later if I need any help finding anything. Dont ignore me. *Ignoring the customer seems to be the new plan of action in every EB I've been in lately*
4) If you initiate an argument with me, I will call your district manager. It would be smart of you to NOT argue with me about stupid things even if in your mind you feel you are 150% right. I've seen employees become downright venomous.

Customers:

1) Please bathe, the rest of humanity would appreciate it.
2) I dont care about the anime you watch. I might be smiling and nodding, but I'm just being nice. I dont want to hear about your fan fiction or your collection of obscure japanese toys. I am here to help you, not be your friend.
3) This is my job, this is a business, talking about how you got something illegally to other customers or myself will likely result in me putting you out of the store. Get a clue.
4) Please understand it is my JOB to ask you about buying and trading in used games, pusing x product when I answer the phone, etc. If your job is shoveling shit, you go in and shovel shit. Thats just the way it is. Dont hate me for it.

bdoughty

Banned
ChrisReid said:
I work at GameStop for five years. Half your list is silly little stuff that shouldn't be on there, and there's plenty of much bigger crap clerks have to deal with that you left off. And you're coming across as a giant jerk in this thread.

Trust me I could also have a field day being a jerk to someone who has worked at a Gamestop. Has nothing to do with the point of the thread and not limited to game employees but humans in general. But like those kids from Kansas sang, "Carry on my wayward son."

Ranger X

ChrisReid said:

This doesn't make his list more wrong. He's just presenting the other side of the coin because at GAF the customers are never at fault you see.
I also have five years under my belt buddy and i've encounter this list every single freaking week i swear.

bdoughty said:
Still have yet to be proven wrong. Trust me, when and if you do make it outside people can be dicks on both sides of the counter. This thread is simply a reminder of that. If you live by what the NEOGAF concensus thinks then yes, God does need to use better pixel shadders and more anti-aliasing.

You're still proving right the fact that you're condescending. Go outside? TEH FUNNY.

Dracula said:
haha...retail. by the way, excellent avatar SaggyMonkey.

Thanks. Before, i had a gaudy animated one i got suspended for. :lol

to stay on topic.. here is how gaming customers can be "fixed."

#1. Don't ever enter a Gamestop or EB.
#2. Shop your indie-owned stores. You're almost required to be passionate about the industry if you own one of these shops. They're not getting rich off this stuff, help 'em out.
#3. Hmmm.. that's it!

terrene

Banned
bdoughty said:
Dude, you work at Gamestop.

SaggyMonkey said:
Thanks. Before, i had a gaudy animated one i got suspended for. :lol

#2. Shop your indie-owned stores. You're almost required to be passionate about the industry if you own one of these shops. They're not getting rich off this stuff, help 'em out.

The reality is this kind of store is *very* rare.

the.tutelary said:
I ran an EB for about 4 years. I quit after they hired the VP of marketing forced us to shove game doctor down everyones throats, so I've seen both sides of this arguement.

Customer service drones:

1) Its understandable that people do not want games with stickers all over them, or used games for $5 less than new games. Take a hint and STOP pushing it on people more than the time you are required to.
2) Your personal opinion on a game is meaningless to me when I specifically come in looking for x title. Give me my goddamn game and shut up about your personal qualms with it. You arent going to convert me.
3) I'm a customer. I would like to be greeted and asked a minute or two later if I need any help finding anything. Dont ignore me. *Ignoring the customer seems to be the new plan of action in every EB I've been in lately*
4) If you initiate an argument with me, I will call your district manager. It would be smart of you to NOT argue with me about stupid things even if in your mind you feel you are 150% right. I've seen employees become downright venomous.

Customers:

1) Please bathe, the rest of humanity would appreciate it.
2) I dont care about the anime you watch. I might be smiling and nodding, but I'm just being nice. I dont want to hear about your fan fiction or your collection of obscure japanese toys. I am here to help you, not be your friend.
3) This is my job, this is a business, talking about how you got something illegally to other customers or myself will likely result in me putting you out of the store. Get a clue.
4) Please understand it is my JOB to ask you about buying and trading in used games, pusing x product when I answer the phone, etc. If your job is shoveling shit, you go in and shovel shit. Thats just the way it is. Dont hate me for it.

Soooo.. taken any anger management classes lately?

Dracula

the.tutelary said:

qft. i'll usually walk in to them huddled around the 360. they become annoyed when their game is interrupted.

the.tutelary said:
The reality is this kind of store is *very* rare.

If you end up in Orange County, I'll show you at least two. (and am aware of others, but tend to stick to the two closest ones)

But in general, continuing to go to Gamestop reinforces on a corporate level that their employee behavior works. (for ex. asking if i have trade-ins, if i'm holding no bag, box, anything... where does he think i keep them?) If you don't have locals, hit-up Target or something.

DarknessTear said:
Soooo.. taken any anger management classes lately?

Soooo.. Turned 21 yet? Oh wait.. Nope =[

But in general, continuing to go to Gamestop reinforces on a corporate level that their employee behavior works. (for ex. asking if i have trade-ins, if i'm holding no bag, box, anything... where does he think i keep them?) If you don't have locals, hit-up Target or something.

No it doesnt.. its only used to remind people that may have never shopped at gamestop that the store takes trades.. and every store runs into customers like that multiple times throughout the day.. its called penetration by the word of mouth

Top Bottom