• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not privy to how much influence Capers has on drafting decisions as DC, but the Packers and Steelers used to have similar approaches to the draft - pick guys with proven production at the college level.

The problem i've noticed with the Packers though is that outside of their secondary they have few athletes. Steelers have recently changed their drafting philosophy and lean more towards athletes that they coach up to be consistent football players. Last player drafted under the old strategy is Jarvis Jones, and he's been a massive bust that definitely won't be with the team next year.

If Capers has a hand in picking these guys, then that is a strike against him.

MechDX

Reading the last dozen posts here I have come up with a sound and logical conclusion: Rodgers needs a defense so the Packers should send him to Houston

Sephzilla

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that Capers is at least keeping the defense competitive. The Packers secondary going into Atlanta was ranked 31st and was fresh off of a near meltdown in Dallas. The offense has been bailing out the defense. And this is something that's been happening for years now. The 15-1 regular season Packers went 15-1 with, statistically, one of the worst defenses of all time and that squad was, talent wise, way better than this years team.

Pepiope

So this is the famous offseason thread that people have been asking
begging
for since the playoffs started...

neat.

I will know proceed to read every post, and respond only 2 or 3 times over this thread's life.
Also thank y'all for making me get back into football, and go Eagles!
Go Eagles! Just stay away from Yankeehater's negativity and you're all set!

Edit: Brandon Lee Gowton ✔ @BrandonGowton
Howie Roseman said Carson Wentz could be involved in free agent process more than the draft. (Re: WR preference, for example)

Not a bad idea. Howie is going to work.

Jarnet87

Here is to hoping that there is progress for the bucs because I fear a fluke

Yeah it's a big offseason. there is a lot of ways Koetter and Licht could approach the draft, kind of just hoping they go for the BPA but there are a lot of holes. I would be perfectly content drafting 7 offensive lineman lol, protecting Jameis is the fastest way to improving. Free agency has been mostly a miss.

MechDX

Yeah it's a big offseason. there is a lot of ways Koetter and Licht could approach the draft, kind of just hoping they go for the BPA but there are a lot of holes. I would be perfectly content drafting 7 offensive lineman lol, protecting Jameis is the fastest way to improving.

From what I have been reading this is a bad draft for o line. Tackles in particular

Bread

Banned
tdr is yelling at pats life longs in the conference championship thread

it's the most
wonderful tiiiiiiiiime
of the year

Jim Tomsula has found a new home

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...edskins-hire-jim-tomsula-defensive-line-coach

Redskins hire ex-49ers head coach Jim Tomsula as D-line coach

never forget

SckOp58.0.png

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Congrats to the Trumpys. I'm home in the offseason thread. And now, I'd like my boys serviced. *unzips pants*

dionysus

Yaldog
People focus on the lack of talent on defense for the packers, but do they have any talent on offense other than Rodgers?

They have no RBs. I have always questioned whether or not the receivers are just a product of having the best QB of all time throwing to them. Rodgers mobility and elusiveness can mask a porous o-line.

Striker

Ben Roethlisberger was critical of Steelers’ young players after loss to Patriots

“I don’t know if that’s the one thing, but you have to score when they’re down there,” Roethlisberger said, via the Post-Gazette. “There were missed opportunities — whether we didn’t execute well enough, whether plays weren’t made by me or other guys. At times it felt like maybe it was too big for some of the young guys.”

“Hopefully, this is a learning game for guys to understand this isn’t promised to anybody. Tomorrow isn’t promised. Just to make the playoffs isn’t enough,” he said. “A lot of guys have been in the league for a long time and haven’t been to any of these. I hope they understand the importance and relish the opportunity if it comes again.”
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...r-calls-out-young-players-loss-too-big-012317

MechDX

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors.php

There has been talk that the New England Patriots are seeking a first-round pick for backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, but in surveying teams around the league, they don't think Garoppolo is worthy of that price tag. One AFC general manager told WalterFootball.com that he thinks Garoppolo is worthy of a third-round pick, but the Patriots could probably get a second-round selection for him. An NFC general manger said he thinks Garoppolo would go for a second-round pick. Another NFC general manager said they thought a third-round pick would be fair.

All of the general managers cited the trades of Alex Smith, Matt Cassel and Matt Schaub. Each member of that trio went for a second-round pick when dealt. All three of those quarterbacks also had more starts and experience than Garoppolo does. The general managers thought this offseason was the best opportunity for the Patriots to deal Garoppolo if they want to get something quality in return.

One team that has been rumored to be in the market for trading for Garoppolo is the Houston Texans. However, in speaking with Texans sources, that is very unlikely. Houston doesn't sound willing to be interested in dealing the necessary picks for Garoppolo. The Texans are definitely in the market to add talent to their quarterback competition, but they are more likely to select a signal-caller in the early rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft.

I agree with this. Not going to get a first for Jimmy.

According to sources, if the Texans do acquire a veteran, it would probably be a free agent like Jay Cutler or Tony Romo if they were released and willing to take a cheap contract. The Texans are the only playoff team in the market for a starting quarterback, so if either Cutler or Romo wants a shot to win before the end of their careers, Houston could be their best opportunity. The Texans won't be able to offer a big contract for either veteran because of the money taken up by Brock Osweiler. Thus, the most likely move will be taking a quarterback prospect with one of their early picks in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Oh god no! Please! Texans fans dont deserve this

I'm home fellas

1888787g60.gif

Offseason Wants: An offensive line, backup TE, another pass-rushing DE

Offseason Will-Gets: 34 defensive tackles, a 6-11 wide receiver who can't get open, another kicker

Jarnet87

Kiper had Taco going to the Bucs in his mock. If Charlton is the real deal that would give the Bucs three quality pass rushers.

Kiper had Taco going to the Bucs in his mock. If Charlton is the real deal that would give the Bucs three quality pass rushers.
Personally, I felt he was the second best player on that Michigan defense behind Jourdan Lewis..

Him and Noah would be a nice duo if you land him

You'll enjoy your TE from Alabama and like it!

You could take Taco Charlton. I mean the dude's name is Taco!
Ez would have been ecstatic if OJ falls to him..

Pepiope

You complete me.
The Eagles didn't believe he was a system fit, and instead of holding on to him and watching him suck on this defense, they went out and got value for him instead while it was still high. You'll be happier next year when Howie drafts a nice player with that pick. You don't trust the process.

Eleuin

I'm not privy to how much influence Capers has on drafting decisions as DC, but the Packers and Steelers used to have similar approaches to the draft - pick guys with proven production at the college level.

The problem i've noticed with the Packers though is that outside of their secondary they have few athletes. Steelers have recently changed their drafting philosophy and lean more towards athletes that they coach up to be consistent football players.

I think the most egregious example of this is the FO's reluctance to draft an actual athlete at the ILB position. Obviously finding the next shazier is hard but waiting until the middle rounds to get someone who can actually catch people in their zone is near impossible.

Then you're left with UDFA Joe thomas who give up on plays when the Ryans or Blakes can't even hope to run with RBs

The Eagles didn't believe he was a system fit, and instead of holding on to him and watching him suck on this defense, they went out and got value for him instead while it was still high. You'll be happier next year when Howie drafts a nice player with that pick. You don't trust the process.

My god this is so dumb it hurts my head. The Eagles had a good young player for cheap, they gave him away for a 4th round pick 2 years later. That is a terrible move no matter how you spin it, and it is compounded by the fact that howie is such a horrible drafter. Eagles will never win anything with howie in charge.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My god this is so dumb it hurts my head. The Eagles had a good young player for cheap, they gave him away for a 4th round pick 2 years later. That is a terrible move no matter how you spin it, and it is compounded by the fact that howie is such a horrible drafter. Eagles will never win anything with howie in charge.
A fourth round pick is an okay deal for a rotation guy, a backup, or a rental of a UFA. For an everyday starter it is an awful deal.

A fourth round pick is an okay deal for a rotation guy, a backup, or a rental of a UFA. For an everyday starter it is an awful deal.

Not even a 4th the year of the trade though, it is a 4th the following year when howie will be out of the league. Such an incredibly stupid deal.

Pepiope

Howie is a horrible drafter? Last year was the first year he is 100% in control of the draft process and he knocked it out the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom