• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes |OT| And for the last Twinkie too. [SPOILERS]

Rewatched the first two today and I'm seeing this in 12 hours. This is how I feel right now.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

B33

Banned
The Caesar Apes trilogy is the book of Exodus with liberties taken along the way.

Caesar is comparable to Moses and this is his journey to deliver his people to a safe land which prospers into what we see in the first Planet of the Apes.

This trilogy gives us the context for the apes and why they treat humans the way they do, and it adds more to the original film's powerful message.

TheTurboFD

This may be my top movie of the year so far. Only thing that was annoying the fuck out of me was some idiot who brought their 1 year old into the theater who constantly cried out loud. On top of that the women just kept making remarks during the movie (WOW HE'S A FUNNY MONKEY) like just shut up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This may be my top movie of the year so far. Only thing that was annoying the fuck out of me was some idiot who brought their 1 year old into the theater who constantly cried out loud. On top of that the women just kept making remarks during the movie (WOW HE'S A FUNNY MONKEY) like just shut up.

That would be terrible, especially for this movie, since there are sooo many real quiet scenes that are great because of the super subtle gestures between the apes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I feel like Dawn is slightly stronger as a film, but goddamn how can you not love the ambition of this film?

With this one, the humans are clearly background characters and it's 100% the Apes story.

I feel like Dawn is slightly stronger as a film, but goddamn how can you not love the ambition of this film?

With this one, the humans are clearly background characters and it's 100% the Apes story.

I feel like War is superior because of the movie's laser focus on Ceasar. Compare that with Dawn, which spent half the runtime with Jason Clarke and Keri Russel for no fucking reason whatsoever. Dawn is great don't get me wrong, but War is a fucking masterpiece.

Dominator

Incredible film. Just remarkable, I'm surprised Fox let a movie like this exist as the finale to their trilogy.

Thank you Matt Reeves.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I feel like War is superior because of the movie's laser focus on Ceasar. Compare that with Dawn, which spent half the runtime with Jason Clarke and Keri Russel for no fucking reason whatsoever. Dawn is great don't get me wrong, but War is a fucking masterpiece.

Koba and Ceasar is a better tale for the Apes. Definitely the highlight of the franchise, hence why I think it's stronger. The film being all about the grey morality, whose right, wrong, different ideals but deciding what is best. It worked much better. I really felt like Dawn is what gave Ceasar his character. While War was Ceasars trial.

While in this case, Woody is basically just a nut job who lost too much and went/going insane. When the time came to feel remorse, I did not. Rather, the idea that Ceasar is similar enough to Koba was more compelling, which they ran as his main arc. Yet, this time through they lacked an appropriate counter part to him.

I think War is far more ambitious, it really is a character piece on Ceasar... a large budget character piece that is following his ordeal on loss and eventual overcome. As someone said, it's basically a biblical story. But I feel like what made Ceasar great came from Dawn and that was thru Koba. This film lacked that story of parallel counterpart to him, or better to say with Woody not being as strong.

I found this slow and dirge-like

joyless and humorless

idk Im just over the war stuff I guess

also why does every blockbuster have to be 2.5 hours these days

A-V-B

It wasn't any kind of official 'military' though, it was more like an extremist faction led by a crazy leader. That much was made clear by the conversation the Colonel and Caesar have, the need to build the wall and well the entire last act where it's mostly human vs human.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious by this time that the military simply didn't exist like we think it does. It was an empty, hollow thing, a shell.

The world was a lot more like the world of Dark Souls, you know? Where everything's gone to shit and all the people who used to be honorable are out of their minds and spiraling into utter destruction.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is probably my favorite movie of the summer (so far) tied with Baby Driver. I really like how there's little action in it, and allows the story to be character driven. I think the only issues I have on it are the virus' evolution, and the Colonel and his entire military operation. Though I can easily forgive the evolution of the virus, because I think it's kinda poetic in that it reverts man to primates, as opposed to the opposite effect it had on the apes. Neat. The Colonel felt a bit one dimensional, but I think despite his own motivations that they tried to flesh out, he works well to test Caesar's integrity.

I didn't really realize how down the movie was until Bad Ape shows up. It's like he allows the audience much, much needed (comedic) relief and brought levity to the movie that I didn't think it needed before he showed up. That's what I dig about this movie, despite the Colonel, I think the right choice was to make it focus a lot more on the apes instead of having a band of barley interesting "good" human characters like Dawn did. The apes are interesting and emotionally resonant on their own. Having less humans works in this film's favor. Nova being the only one working with them is great because she can't talk, along with the Apes that either choose sign language or not to speak, and the score (which is great, this is seriously his best score since Inside Out or Rogue One, maybe?) and actor's facial expressions and body gestures take over and they say just as much as the subtitles.

CG continues to be amazing, but at this point that's a given. I think I've been more in awe of the direction they went with the Apes since Rise. Taking care to incorporate the movements and nuances of a general ape community really helps sell these movies. This trilogy has been an emotionally charged journey, and it's crazy that it's, for all things, Planet of the Apes. But this is an example of a prequel trilogy done right. I'm glad they were made, and I'm pretty stoked for Reeves' career as someone who's been keeping an eye since Cloverfield. Not really sure if I want a remake of the original film. As far as I'm concerned, it's this trilogy and then the original. I'm a little bummed it's all over now (as far as I know), but sweet Moses it's bittersweet to know that blockbusters like this can still be made, just not as many as I'd like. I can't believe we have shit like The Mummy, or we settle for something like Spider-Man: Homecoming when a film like this can still be made for the blockbuster season. Hopefully Dunkirk follows this act up.

Anyways, this was pretty good.

Am I in the wrong that I got strong passion of the christ vibes during the whole prison scene
Nope. I feel like it ties into the whole "Alpha and Omega" thing they've got going on, as well as the Colonel sacrificing his son to save humanity (his own fucking words).

Plus there's a cross straight up on the wall.

I enjoyed the movie despite the two dickheads behind me making monkey noises throughout all three movies.
Hey at least you didn't get some dude laughing throughout Luca's death scene. That took people out. In a bad way.

Man ... ehhhh I don't think liked it? I'm going to sleep on it. My initial reaction is I was really disappointed by this film, I don't see how this gets best movie of the year praise. Maybe I just need to see it again or watch all 3 together but the hype for this film must have built expectations too high for me.

The Caesar Apes trilogy is the book of Exodus with liberties taken along the way.

Caesar is comparable to Moses and this is his journey to deliver his people to a safe land which prospers into what we see in the first Planet of the Apes.

This trilogy gives us the context for the apes and why they treat humans the way they do, and it adds more to the original film's powerful message.

Yep it explains everything, even why the humans are in the state that they are.

I enjoyed it even got a little emotional in a few of the parts. Was wondering was the little girl at the final state of the disease already or was she going to get more primal?

Just got back from the theater, and I really, really enjoyed this movie. I'm not entirely sure that I like this movie better than Dawn, but this movie was very, very good.

Matt Reeves described this movie as a biblical epic, and that's exactly what this movie is.

Realeza

Banned
It was excellent throughout. A little slow in parts, but consistently good. I didn't want it to end like that, but it makes sense. I just wish Caesar spent some time with Cornelius before the end to his journey.

Dominator

Bummed to see a lot of people didn't really enjoy the movie.

I double featured this with The Big Sick and both movies can't escape my mind. They were both fantastic in such drastically different ways.

Realeza

Banned
Theres a few here but I'm talking about in my circles as well. A buddy of mine who I saw the first two movies with said he absolutely hated it, while he loved Dawn and Rise.

Your buddies have bad taste. "Absolutely hate" should be an immediate red flag lmao.

I found this slow and dirge-like

joyless and humorless

idk Im just over the war stuff I guess

also why does every blockbuster have to be 2.5 hours these days

Yes that's the missing ingredient the movie needed, we needed some lowest common denominator jokes sprinkled throughout to keep the audience engaged and joyful!

I'm not sure what you expected given the trailers (or the previous movies for that matter...)

One thought I have been having.

Is Nova the Nova? and is Cornelius supposed to be the Cornelius and do we now get a movie that parallels the original? It'd be hard as humans never got to that level of advancement that we know of.

That being said, an 'Alien' movie but with a human killing Apes would be an amazing place to go with this.

One thought I have been having.

Is Nova the Nova? and is Cornelius supposed to be the Cornelius and do we now get a movie that parallels the original? It'd be hard as humans never got to that level of advancement that we know of.

No. Just clever homages. I just learned recently that James Franco's character from the first film, Rodman, was an homage to Rod Serling, who had screenwritten the original Planet of the Apes.

mrkgoo

It was okay,

-I felt the movie just didn't have that much to say compared to the amazing first two films. This one has a promising start but once they hit the camp it slows to a crisp. It just drags and drags.

-Woody Harrelson was okay more screen time could of been used. Plus his motivation to wanting to kill ceasar at the start to capturing him to help build for his act is silly.

-An actual war between the apes and humans I felt would have had a bigger impact instead of humans vs humans with apes in the middle.

-Nova was a bit of a wasted character, not enough depth for her considering all the other main human characters has decent arcs.

-The guards suck at patrolling and the cliche evil henchman is the only one to notice the apes are gone. Also weren't the soldiers going to use the apes to fight the incoming military? So why didn't anyone notice that first.

-Ceasar and his gang of apes were all great expect bad ape. He had a few funny moments but got tiresome after awhile. No, no, no, no

-Underwhelming finale with the armies

-The ending moment was great, amazing way to finish it.

Overall 6/10

YOu're right about it now having as much to say. Rise was all about genetic modification, science, playing God etc, Dawn was quite complex with describing how Ape society worked, human society after a pandemic, how they interacted and infighting and betrayal on both sides.

I felt War was really straight forward. Nothing new to add to the whole situation, and just focused on getting from point A (end of Dawn) to point B (prelude to a Planet of the Apes).

I mean, sure there were notes such as humans being their own worst enemy, and the movie definitely had an emotional core, it just wasn't as spectacular or though-provoking.

E-phonk

Banned
What I liked was that it took inspiration from the big Biblical movies and Vietnam war movies (the prison) and brought these convincingly to the screen with apes instead of humans.

That's not a easy thing to pull off, and the emotional arc worked really well.

I do have a feeling it has more flaws than Dawn, and i'd say Dawn might be the better movie in retrospect, but I still really liked it. It's also amazing how a reboot of 60's scifi movie not only re invents the franchise, but also ties perfectly in the original in the end.

They could now remake the original planet of the apes with these characters and it would all make sense, and people would feel a lot more emotionally involved with the ape characters.
I hope Matt Reeves does it someday, but I'm ok if it takes 10 years before he does.

This was the bleakest summer blockbuster I've seen in some time. Really was impressed with it overall. Biggest complaint was that the army attacking the Colonel's group kinda felt tacked on and unneeded in regards to pretty much everything, but oh well. Also didn't like Donkey's sudden turn but whatever. Great trilogy overall. Serkis was astounding.

Sir Doom

From someone who didn't enjoy the second one. Really love the finale.

Maybe my expectations are low or there are some similar beats from the RISE.

The special FX was top notch, great CG acting, and some wonderful shots.

There was a lot of small stuff I didn't like in the movie now that I've slept on it.

Stuff like Luca (if I'm remembering his name correctly) giving Nova the flower only for him to die a couple of scenes later did not sit well with me. It didn't connect with me emotionally are all because the initial scene didn't even get time to gestate before Luca went off and died a few minutes later.

This was the bleakest summer blockbuster I've seen in some time. Really was impressed with it overall. Biggest complaint was that the army attacking the Colonel's group kinda felt tacked on and unneeded in regards to pretty much everything, but oh well. Also didn't like Donkey's sudden turn but whatever. Great trilogy overall. Serkis was astounding.
A sudden turn that's set up over the course of the whole movie.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Pretty weak movie, with a great Andy Serkis performance.

Way too many convenient situations and resolutions, typical plot tropes, and just silly situations that I rolled my eyes at.

Weak performance by Woody, not that he had much to work with.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
There was a lot of small stuff I didn't like in the movie now that I've slept on it.

Stuff like Luca (if I'm remembering his name correctly) giving Nova the flower only for him to die a couple of scenes later did not sit well with me. It didn't connect with me emotionally are all because the initial scene didn't even get time to gestate before Luca went off and died a few minutes later.

Yeah, I said the same thing coming out. She didn't cry, or seem to care about her dad getting blown away with a shotgun - but an ape she just met dies and she's in tears?

Cause this is an appropriate movie for a 1 year old. These kinds of parents are so annoying.

Wow! This was a masterpiece unfortunately ruined by inconsiderate assholes. I sware I'm never going to the cinema again when my Unlimited Card runs out in November. I'll just wait until the blu-ray or digital release to watch a film. I don't know if I'll be able to hold of on Star Wars though.

Wow, what a great movie and great trilogy! I keep forgetting these movies exist until I see a poster for it around town, yet they are so consistently great!

I was impressed with how much it relied on Giacchino's score, it was almost a silent movie with few spoken lines, relying on the music and acting to carry the emotions. After being disappointed by his Rogue One and Homecoming, I was really happy to hear what he came up with here. I especially enjoyed the theme he pulled out whenever there was any traveling by horse, and the lighthearted music during the escape sequence.

Yeah, I said the same thing coming out. She didn't cry, or seem to care about her dad getting blown away with a shotgun - but an ape she just met dies and she's in tears?

Yep. It seemed like a chunk was missing between the flower scene and death.

Pretty weak movie, with a great Andy Serkis performance.

Way too many convenient situations and resolutions, typical plot tropes, and just silly situations that I rolled my eyes at.

Weak performance by Woody, not that he had much to work with.

Yea, the convenient situations bothered me. I don't mind them generally but there were way too many here (thinking of the discovery of the tunnel here as a prominent one).

And along those lines, they could've cut the a couple of things in the second half to tune up the pacing. The whole bit with the water in the tunnel could've been entirely avoided with a smarter script and plotting. Seemed so unncessary to include that.

Maddness

Saw it last night and it exceeded my expectations. Thought it was fantastic. I like how they made it more of a character piece and it really became Caesar's personal journey to it's inevitable conclusion. My favorite trilogy in a long time easily. Serkis deserves so much.

The scene gives a few things away. We see lots of preserved pickled foods (which implies they've been there a while) and it seems like she hasn't been able to talk for some time either, so I think the father was keeping her at a distance and it was less a father/daughter at that point, but one where he just didn't want her killed or to be killed himself for having an infected daughter.

Maddness

The scene gives a few things away. We see lots of preserved pickled foods (which implies they've been there a while) and it seems like she hasn't been able to talk for some time either, so I think the father was keeping her at a distance and it was less a father/daughter at that point, but one where he just didn't want her killed or to be killed himself for having an infected daughter.

Plus her mouth had dried blood on it, which made me think they were hinting at possible abuse.

Top Bottom