• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

mkenyon

Banned
Wow. Does Daum has no plan to rectify and punish people who obviously abused the bug ? I guess each developer handle problems in their own way and there's no set rule, however I personally don't agree if they don't rectify such problems and punish abuser. Then again I don't run a company, so what do I know.
Go up a few posts.

They're deleting all claimed items, duplicate or not, during maintenance. Everyone has to claim them again.

Just started looking into the Amity system more. This is really neat. There are quests and shops that can be unlocked on most NPCs by completing the Amity mini games. Some of the rewards are really good and even unlock some additional Black Spirit quests.

nataku

Ended up getting my pre-order items in the mail. I thought I'd get the fail mail first and then have to reclaim, but I guess not.

Hellers

I've sent a worker out to farm potatoes so I can make beer. It'll take him 48 minutes to do one run. Does anyone know how many potatoes I get in that time roughly? Same with any gathering worker really. I have one out doing logs.

Stiler

For those that have played can you explain the loot and rewards?

I have read so many different things on it.

Some saying the rewards/loot you get from quest and npcs don't change your look at all, some saying they do.

Is it really bad or not? Like most western games part of the fun of mmo's is getting the loot that looks cool/different, is that totally missing in this game or not?

notworksafe

At least judging by yesterday, weapons change but gear doesn't seem to matter look-wise. I think for gear it's all about the outfit pieces, which do change your look.

owlbeak

I've seen comparisons to Asheron's Call. If that's true, I'm in. MMOs of late have been garbage IMO. I liked early MMOs where it was open to do whatever you wanted. If the comparisons are accurate, this sounds right up my alley!

Twookie

At least judging by yesterday, weapons change but gear doesn't seem to matter look-wise. I think for gear it's all about the outfit pieces, which do change your look.

which is going to suck if the cool ones cost 30 bucks :(
i hope you can craft cool ones thou

Some saying the rewards/loot you get from quest and npcs don't change your look at all, some saying they do.

Is it really bad or not? Like most western games part of the fun of mmo's is getting the loot that looks cool/different, is that totally missing in this game or not?

Pretty much. There are not many ways to change your appearance in-game currently which is a little disappointing. Most appearance items will come from the cash shop.

Sectus

In total, there's a lot of different looking gear, but only a few of them are dropped by enemies.

Here's the different types of gear:
- As you level up, you'll get better gear which looks like a more armoured version of your starting outfit.
- Once you're close to level 50, there's 5 or so outfits you can get as loot or craft which looks pretty unique and has different stats.
- You can craft a few different vanity costumes.
- You can craft or buy "job" outfits which has a specific look and boosts "job" stats (gathering, fishing, trading, etc).
- And then there's the cash shop where there's a lot of different looking costumes.

Just randomly got all my items in the mail. I claimed between 3 & 5 AM EST during headstart and did the reclaim when servers came back up this morning.

In total, there's a lot of different looking gear, but only a few of them are dropped by enemies.

- As you level up, you'll get better gear which looks like a more armoured version of your starting outfit.
- Once you're close to level 50, there's 5 or so outfits you can get as loot or craft which looks pretty unique and has different stats.
- You can craft or buy "job" outfits which has a specific look and boosts "job" stats (gathering, fishing, trading, etc).
- And then there's the cash shop where there's a lot of different looking costumes.

Nice. I wasn't aware of this but it sounds like it will take a while to get to that point so you could be wearing the same thing for a while.

Ashodin

This.

mkenyon

Banned
The difference between the Traveler's and Explorer's package... is it worth the $20 ask?
The pet is really handy, and something you'd have to pay real money for anyway. But a Tier 3 horse is pretty affordable. Nice to have it earlier, for sure, but still very affordable with in game money.

As to whether or not it's worth it, that's entirely subjective.

Emitan

I bought the $30 so I guess I have to wait until Wednesday. I assumed I could play today ;-;

I'm not sure between Ranger and Valkyrie. I usually find melee more fun than ranged but I'm not the biggest fan of sword and shield.

mkenyon

Banned
Front line tank vs squishy RDPS, very different roles. But, those were the two I was waffling between too :p

I went Valk. Definitely requires a lot more thoughtful timing and animation cancelling compared to Ranger, so it's been very engaging to play.

Zexen

It's crazy how far the distance view goes yet the game suffers from one of the worst pop-in issue I've seen in a while

Anyway, here's a Lalafell Shia fishing during sunset.
25387298965_67a9f42f4b_o.jpg

drotahorror

Really trying to convince myself to grab this but I'm failing to.

Kind of sucks there's no melee assassin types at launch. There's like 3 or 4 in other versions. Actin like those types don't appeal to western audiences. Did they check out rogues in WoW? They were insanely popular back in the day. And the Tamer with the pets? That wouldn't be popular in the west? WoW hunters weren't popular hah?

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
I went ahead and bought the game today and I've been doing research on what class to play. I normally play stealth or melee class. Right now I'm leaning towards the warrior but after reading up a bit on the official forums. Everyone seems really down on that class. Calling it the worst class in the game. I guess Valkyrie is an option but I'm a little bothered for a class that's more or less a paladin, doesn't wear much armor. Why couldn't they have given her armor like the warrior or better yet, not have these classes gender locked.

So despite spending roughly an hour or 2 researching what class to play. I still have no clue what class I'm starting with. Ranger does look good though.

Ashodin

I went ahead and bought the game today and I've been doing research on what class to play. I normally play stealth or melee class. Right now I'm leaning towards the warrior but after reading up a bit on the official forums. Everyone seems really down on that class. Calling it the worst class in the game. I guess Valkyrie is an option but I'm a little bothered for a class that's more or less a paladin, doesn't wear much armor. Why couldn't they have given her armor like the warrior or better yet, not have these classes
So despite spending roughly an hour or 2 researching what class to play. I still have no clue what class I'm starting with. Ranger does look good though.

Keep in mind people are complaining irrationally as they always do, and warrior isn't the greatest PVP class. They get a greatsword later which makes them top tier.

drotahorror

Keep in mind people are complaining irrationally as they always do, and warrior isn't the greatest PVP class. They get a greatsword later which makes them top tier.

So they're not the greatest PVP class or they're top tier? Or are you saying the greatsword turns them into a top tier PVP class?

Does every class get a weapon that changes their playstyle or something later on?

Hmm, this greatsword you mentioned is for something that won't be available in the west for who knows how long. The Awakening or some shit. Every class gets a new weapon.

This game seems pretty neutered in the west not gonna lie.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!

Not being the greatest at pvp was a concern of mine. Since that seems to be the focus towards their endgame content. I may end up rolling a warrior anyways. The heavy armor sets in this game look amazing.

Any idea how long it takes to reach level 50? I hear after the softcap is when the grind get's pretty bad. If I decide I don't like the warrior by then. I can always pass over some of his gear and make a valkyrie.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Am intrigued by this, haven't seriously played an MMO since Guild Wars 2, dabbled a bit with ESO but it didn't grab me for long. Main launch is on Wednesday I take it?

Kind of sucks there's no melee assassin types at launch. There's like 3 or 4 in other versions. Actin like those types don't appeal to western audiences. Did they check out rogues in WoW? They were insanely popular back in the day. And the Tamer with the pets? That wouldn't be popular in the west? WoW hunters weren't popular hah?

Yeah I bought it without realizing this, kinda does suck. Didn't know they were holding classes back on NA launch, I do wanna play sorceress as well though, so I do have that. Magic and scythe look so badass.

mkenyon

Banned

1) Sorceress is kinda the rogue class right now, with no Ninja/Kunochi.

2) Tamer is in the game, same as the Korean one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGT9ee0hlns
Yeah I bought it without realizing this, kinda does suck. Didn't know they were holding classes back on NA launch, I do wanna play sorceress as well though, so I do have that. Magic and scythe look so badass.
They're not holding back classes, per se, they're holding back expansions.

The idea of expansions is that it gives players some new content to look forward to. It keeps the playerbase active. If they released the game with all the expansions that currently exist, it would in theory shorten the life of the game. It's also a lot more work to make sure all of that is localized and working for the International Version.

It does suck that we don't get the Kunochi/Ninja and Blader/Plum though, I definitely wanted to play a Blader.

Anybody know how this game plays with a controller or if it even supports it? Played through FFXIV with a controller fine but Blade and Soul has been awful. Switched to KB/M.

Anybody know how this game plays with a controller or if it even supports it? Played through FFXIV with a controller fine but Blade and Soul has been awful. Switched to KB/M.

The controls are better than Blade and Soul on controller. It feels natural imo especially during combat.

Loginius

Hmm, this greatsword you mentioned is for something that won't be available in the west for who knows how long. The Awakening or some shit. Every class gets a new weapon.

This game seems pretty neutered in the west not gonna lie.
All of this is addon content, not content they arent releasing in the west.
They are going to stagger the release of the addons and release it in a similar fashion to how it has been released in the east.
Tamer totally is in our version tho, the assassin and blader are missing but the game plays nothing like traditional mmos even with those classes (still it sucks that they are missing).
Maybe just wait until they release your favorite class in the west?
Awakening is basically like the lvl cap rise + new skills in other mmos, addon content that changes some classes a lot and others not.

Sophia

It works, but menu support and stuff is a bit limited. I myself prefer the Steam Controller mapped directly to KB/M functions.

Ashodin

All of this is addon content, not content they arent releasing in the west.
They are going to stagger the release of the addons and release it in a similar fashion to how it has been released in the east.
Tamer totally is in our version tho, the assassin and blader are missing but the game plays nothing like traditional mmos even with those classes (still it sucks that they are missing).
Maybe just wait until they release your favorite class in the west?
Awakening is basically like the lvl cap rise + new skills in other mmos, addon content that changes some classes a lot and others not.

From what I heard, we should be getting bigger patches than other territories because we're further behind.

1) Sorceress is kinda the rogue class right now, with no Ninja/Kunochi.

2) Tamer is in the game, same as the Korean one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGT9ee0hlns

They're not holding back classes, per se, they're holding back expansions.

The idea of expansions is that it gives players some new content to look forward to. It keeps the playerbase active. If they released the game with all the expansions that currently exist, it would in theory shorten the life of the game. It's also a lot more work to make sure all of that is localized and working for the International Version.

It does suck that we don't get the Kunochi/Ninja and Blader/Plum though, I definitely wanted to play a Blader.

Gotcha. I been keeping an eye on this game for a while, but didn't research it too much. Are the awakening weapons not available yet either? If so I hope that's not too long down the road, I really want that scythe lol.

Sophia

I've read on forums that this game has very little content. True?

False, unless your idea of content is FFXIV/WoW style dungeons and raids. This game is a sandbox MMORPG, and puts a big emphasis on world/social aspects. Fighting world bosses, taking on tough enemies, exploring, doing quests, PvP, the various crafting, simulation, housing, etc systems, nodes, guild activities. Think of it more like Minecraft or an Elder Scrolls game and less like World of Warcraft.

Go watch this video that was linked earlier:

Gaz_RB

It's one of the things that's make or break for some people, understandable. It's not meant to be a dress up game though.

I mean I don't want a "dress up game", whatever that is, but the amount of customization it offers compared to other games is sort of laughable to me. Especially in a sandbox game where I want to be immersed in the world and able to stand out from others. Gotta give them props for the actual character customization though.

Top Bottom