• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's unannounced mobile game is also based on Warcraft

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So you may remember our previous thread about how Blizzard was making a second (non-Diablo) unannounced title (in addition to the AAA first person game), and that it was a mobile game.

Well, despite one of Blizzard's co-founders talking up how great it would be to have a StarCraft or Overwatch mobile game... this appears to be another Warcraft title.

FX ARTIST
Unannounced Project•Irvine

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented FX artist to help us create exciting visual effects for an unannounced project for mobile.

You'll develop real time effects from concept to implementation and work to maintain a consistent aesthetic across all of the effects in the game. Effects are integrated into every aspect of mobile games and this position will give you the opportunity to flex your creative muscles in combat, interface and a variety of other features. The ideal candidate has a firm grasp of color, texture, shape and timing as relates to FX and demonstrates an ability to sketch and story board to convey design ideas.

If you're ready to tackle the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!

Requirements
- Must be familiar with creating FX in the Unity game engine
- Skilled in developing effects that work across a wide range of mobile platforms (looks great on the newest phones but still holds up on a variety of mobile devices)
- Passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP

Pluses
- A passion for exploring new ideas in mobile gaming
Source: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/opKk5fwi

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wait they're doing a AAA FPS? Interesting that they're dipping right back into that well

While it's probably a shooter, all we know is that it's on an existing first person engine (I'm assuming it's the Overwatch engine given they reuse their engines way more these days).

Wollan

WarCraft Go I hope. Blizzard are experts in taking genres (mmo, team-shooters, card-playing) and lifting them to a new level of shine.

Minamu

Yes, many of their open positions mention Warcraft either in the title, or in the ad itself (write about your relation to Warcraft in the cover letter). May or may not be related I guess, but at least they're open about it up front.
I wanted to apply to a level design role but my last "relation" was WC3 as a casual.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
oh yeah that could be interesting

wonder if it's a first person Warcraft

I believe the person helming it is Dustin Browder, so I'm suspicious it's StarCraft, but it could be anything.

Is Eric Dodds heading the project?

To our knowledge he's still at Blizzard, but he's not on Hearthstone, so most likely yes.

Maybe it's a first person RPG ala Elder Scrolls...

Blizzard basically exclusively makes online centric games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Starcraft Ghost is dead dead dead. Maybe they're considering a single player story campaign product for Overwatch? My dream~

I don't think it's Ghost. I suspect it's an online shooter that probably has things like vehicles in it to differentiate from Overwatch.

Unfortunately every job posting thus far has been for tons and tons of engine coders, so there's only so much we can glean from that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It'll be one of those build your base and wait for a bar to complete sorta games, calling it.

Interfectum

I could see a Warcraft game that plays similar to Clash Royale. The units will auto move themselves and you have to worry about placement and timing.

Arkeband

Banned
To be fair, "creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP" is basically how they arrived at the art style for Diablo 3, so if we're being sarcastic dicks it doesn't mean much.

Robin64

You know those new types of mobile game where you pretend to be chatting to someone over the course of days, and a story unfolds?

Presenting "Barrens Chat", a game about helping a stranger find Mankrik's wife.

Maybe a Destiny like game? Blizzard could pull it of for sure but probably not because destiny is activision

ediy: hmm scratch that, didnt read it was for mobile

I could see a Warcraft game that plays similar to Clash Royale. The units will auto move themselves and you have to worry about placement and timing.

It's definitely going to be a Clash of Clans, Game of War, whatever type Warcraft game. Blizzard takes genres that are blowing up and then perfects them and pours in a ton of polish. This won't be Warcraft 4 but a WarCraft RTS-lite with a subtitle. Warcraft Tactics. Something like that.

uceenk

mobile ?

they mean Nintendo Switch right ... right ?

btw, i will take Warcraft 4 on Mobile, hope there is story element to it (solo play)

Top Bottom