• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley Leaves Naughty Dog

Where do you think Bruce Straley will end up next?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Has anyone ever gone on sabbatical and come back to business as usual? Every example that I can think of the sabbatical always turns into leaving.

Just feels like a graceful way of quitting by letting a dev manage the PR cycle while having a defacto non-compete in place.

jmpaul

Neo Member
Lucky enough to have been able to work with Bruce for a couple of years.

Looking forward to see what he does on the journey called life.

9di2yzq4nz6y.gif

NYR94

Immense talent and so humble and friendly in interviews. I hope a rejuvenated bruce straley finds happiness and success in his next endeavor.

Mikey Jr.

Sad to see him go, but he's a good man. Leaves behind a damn good legacy.

All the best luck to him wherever he goes.

This is also a silver lining.

Gives someone new a chance to shine.

Neith

Banned
Honestly, I can see why. He doesn't want to work on the same stuff anymore. He's almost a legend in this industry. I hope he finds his space, and I am sure he will.

Fuck.

I really like the concepts this guy have for games, huge loss for ND. Wish him the best.

Can't wait to see what he will manage to do with that twitter though, hyped.

Fisty

Dammit... thanks for the games! Really interested to see what some fresh blood can bring to TLOU2's gameplay

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sad to hear, but the writing was on the wall with his year-long sabbatical.

ND has lost a ton of longstanding members over the last decade, but they somehow always pull through and come back strong. Hopefully it continues, UC:TLL is a very good sign, but TLOU 2 will be the real test.

Glassboy

Bruce, thank you for making whatever sacrifices you made to contribute to some of the best games of all time. I am sad to see you leave my favorite gaming developer, but I wish you all the luck in whatever you do next. Thank you!!

Quite a pedigree. I can't imagine the kind of offers he must be getting. What if Microsoft somehow stole him away, had him start a new studio focusing on an Uncharted level AAA game for their next console (after XB1X)? If I were Phil, I'd be offering him absolutely anything that he wants.

ron_bato

I always loved watching those interviews with Bruce, especially the ones where he discusses his principles of game design.

Thank you Bruce, and I look forward to what he does next!

Not

Banned
Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Their shift to interactive movies instead of full on gameplay games nowadays is sad, gone are the days of Crash and Jak

The choice of games nowadays is insane. Nothing's gone.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Hate to see you go, but wishing him the best for the future. The gaming industry is such a fluid place. People come and go all of the time.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Honestly this is the shittiest gaming news I've heard all year.

I fucking loved this mans touch and influence on the games he worked on.

He just got it.

End of an era

What's your deal, anyway? How does someone derive pleasure from posting purposeful drivel?

--

Sad to see him go. He was a huge part of why I loved Naughty Dog games, that's for damn sure. But on the other side, cream will rise to the top. And Naughty Dog as a studio attracts a lot of the best.

I thought Moderation was strict here...doesn't seem like it, every thread they be trolling, don't even hide it, it's the same people too.

kikiribu

Straley was okay but honestly, this isn't a big deal in the slightest. Lost Legacy is my favorite Uncharted and it wasn't his game. Give the Lost Legacy guys complete control over Uncharted.

Best of luck wherever he ends up.

Straley was okay but honestly, this isn't a big deal in the slightest. Lost Legacy is my favorite Uncharted and it wasn't his game. Give the Lost Legacy guys complete control over Uncharted.

Those guys basically lifted most of their stuff from Straley games though.

tootie923

Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Their shift to interactive movies instead of full on gameplay games nowadays is sad, gone are the days of Crash and Jak

What's your deal, anyway? How does someone derive pleasure from posting purposeful drivel?

--
Sad to see him go. He was a huge part of why I loved Naughty Dog games, that's for damn sure. But on the other side, cream will rise to the top. And Naughty Dog as a studio attracts a lot of the best.

He shows up in most ND threads posting nonsense. He also likes to watch Uncharted gameplay walkthroughs on Youtube and not actually play the games.

Uncharted: LL showed that ND is doing just fine.

Loris146

Okay? He is one of the best in the industry.

zsynqx

The Lost Legacy would not be The Lost Legacy without Bruce's prior work. His fingerprints are all over that game, even if he wasn't directly involved.

Excited for anything he decides to involve himself with in the future. He's very much responsible for games I feel are some of the best ever created. Also excited to see where Naughty Dog goes from here, it's the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. I can't feel bad about this at all really, because the alternative would have been him staying in a position he no longer felt comfortable in, which would have been bad for everyone.

So, good luck and best wishes Bruce!

wandering

Banned
What was the breakdown of Straley's role versus Druckmann's on the projects they helmed? I'm not entirely clear on what a game director does as opposed to a creative director.

Wow this Druckmann's thirst will never be quenched.

Seriously though, sad to see him go. Good talent. Naughty Dog will be fine but he isn't easily replaced.

ND worked the poor man into leaving his comfort zone. Shame but seems like poor management in regards to Uncharted 4 is to blame for separating a legendary duo in Straley and Druckmann.

What was the breakdown of Straley's role versus Druckmann's on the projects they helmed? I'm not entirely clear on what a game director does as opposed to a creative director.

Straley was more involved on the design and gameplay side whereas Druckmann was more on the writing and mocap side of things.

FelipeMGM

This is huge, the dude shipped only top notch games on the past 10 years as a director, very few can say they done something like this.

Of course, he will be immensely missed, but luckily Naughty Dog has this incredible pool of talent right now, and we've seen new directors ship a great game with Lost Legacy.

Im sure Kurt learned a lot with Bruce in all these years

zsynqx

Bruce was game director, Neil was creative director. Loosely speaking Bruce was in charge of gameplay, Neil was in charge of story. However, many story ideas would come from Bruce and gameplay ideas from Neil.

I actually see Bruce going to Crystal Dynamics. Big loss for Naughty Dog. While Lost Legacy was fantastic and they have been great at growing their talent, the studio are losing the flair they once had with Balestra and Straley around.

Best wishes.

Memento

I actually see Bruce going to Crystal Dynamics. Big loss for Naughty Dog. While Lost Legacy was fantastic and they have been great at growing their talent, the studio are losing the flair they once had with Balestra and Straley around.

Best wishes.

Why would he do that?

IF he continues in the industry, I am sure he is going indie. Smaller projects, no AAA culture and pressure.

Thanks for everything Bruce. Best of luck and happiness in your future endeavors.

Also please stay in the industry !

Sad news indeed, but I'm absolutely not worried for ND.

Why would he do that?

IF he continues in the industry, I am sure he is going indie. Smaller projects, no AAA culture and pressure.
He really loved Inside, even said it might be one of his favorite games of all time. Maybe he'll join Playdead, or start his own studio and collaborate with them

I'm sure he'll be missed but the guy has it made. I have no doubt he'll work with Sony again in the future, probably as the head of his own studio working on a new IP. I'm excited to see what's next.

jxN3

Lol, who do you think the Lost Legacy guys learned from?

MCgqap7.png

Top Bottom