• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Lijik

I prefer weekly threads too but guys, honestly? I've been doing the weekly threads for the past couple of weeks and each week seriously gets half as many posts as the week prior. Hell in one night, this thread already has almost just as many posts as episode 69's thread had.

Whats the point of weekly threads if all you weekly thread people don't post in them.
Thats why when people were saying "go to a megathread" in the previous episode thread and not a single person was like "Naw" I figured it was a good idea.

Not a big fan of megathreads for things like podcasts. It usually ends up being the same 5 or so people posting in them all the time.

Keep this one for the weekend view and then have a new thread for a new cast.

rexor0717

I'm down for the mega thread. Can't we just make a new one if this one gets too big somewhere down the line? Do we really need to wait til the 20,000th post?

Jintor

They're more worried about insulation. For instance, nobody here but me has and the OP has actually posted about this week's amazing episode.*

*I think I'm missing one other guy.

Lijik

They're more worried about insulation. For instance, nobody here but me has and the OP has actually posted about this week's amazing episode.*

*I think I'm missing one other guy.

Speaking of this weeks episode, when are you guys going to post a link to The Visit (i think thats the one with the courtroom scene) on the blog?
The game sounded hilarious in the discussion about it, but trying to find it via google search is almost impossible

Rahk

Sweet. Still need to catch up on this week's episode.

I don't mind a megathread since I can just subscribe to it and will notice a new episode is out when there are new posts. I tend to miss the individual threads since I rarely browse the main page.

I agree with Mr. Remo about the "LOOK WHAT YOU'VE REALLY BEEN DOING!!!" twists in video games becoming tiresome. I honestly think if a game opens with the fact that what you are doing is morally ambiguous then it leads to a better game experience. Though, that only really applies if the player can then adjust their playstyles to the moral choices they make.

One exception I would pose is Nier
because it does a good job of only giving Nier's point of view through the first play-through and makes all his actions seem justifiable to himself and the player. It isn't until the player goes through ending B that the game begins to pile on the true consequences of your actions. The game becomes more like an "inevitable tragedy" than just a cheap "HAHA GOT YOU."

Jintor

I think I might have gotten into the habit of listening to each episode twice. The mars talk was absolutely worth it.

Lijik

Thanks, got sent to jail and my girlfriend dumped me
This game is great.

I think I might have gotten into the habit of listening to each episode twice. The mars talk was absolutely worth it.
I've been in this habit since the Gotta Have The Spice episode. The strong 'casting and relatively short lengths makes it really easy to do.
I love the bombcast, but at 3 hours long when i finish an episode the only time I go back to it is through youtube clips.

colinp

Banned
I missed that Sean recommended listening to a Pandora stream of opera, alas Pandora isn't available in Japan so thanks for the suggestions guys.

iTunes Radio list of Classical stations works quite well, too. I quite enjoyed listening to Chopin while traversing through the universe. Majesty indeed.

Shaneus

Wait, so what's this thread for? I'm just going to assume it's for 70.

About 30 mins in, loving that it's fucking weekly. So fucking good. I think this is the first time I've been able to listen to it when it was regular *ever*, so I'm a bit bowled over by having brand new casts every week talking about current shit.

Quick q for Remo et al: This week sounds different. I don't think it's just because it's mono, but it sounds a little hollower, like there's some weird frequency cutoff in play? Content is the shit, though.

Rufus

Quick q for Remo et al: This week sounds different. I don't think it's just because it's mono, but it sounds a little hollower, like there's some weird frequency cutoff in play? Content is the shit, though.
He mentioned in the last thread that the sound quality was going to be a little worse in this one.

Empty

anyone know where i can find that letter from the nasa guy in the 80s about the value of investing in space that they mention this week

Ah, okay. Didn't catch that. Did he say why?

There was a lot more ambient noise this time (tons of stuff going on in the floor above us or something), and when I did sound removal, I had to end up taking more of the frequency range with it. I decided that was preferable to having a bunch of low frequency noise in there, but yeah it wasn't ideal.

karobit

Somewhere out there tonight, after robbing me of my wallet, my phone and my headphones, a man whose gun was for a brief, yet eternal, moment in time was pointed at my chest may have possibly listened to Chris, Jake and Sean discuss Space Engine. So don't say I never did nothing to get the word out about the 'cast.

Great episode and Space Engine is fantastic! I can see myself spending a lot of time just explring random parts of the universe while listening to sci-fi ambient music.

But it also makes me sad that there aren't any modern day space sims... :-(

commissar

Somewhere out there tonight, after robbing me of my wallet, my phone and my headphones, a man whose gun was for a brief, yet eternal, moment in time was pointed at my chest may have possibly listened to Chris, Jake and Sean discuss Space Engine. So don't say I never did nothing to get the word out about the 'cast.
Woah that's crazy. Hope you're all good and can get your stuff replaced ok.

Sneds

That sucks dude. :( Sorry to hear that.

One Idle Thumbs reader once sent in an email about getting into a fight. They were listening to the podcast and laughing. A stranger thought that the reader was laughing at them and a fight broke out!

I think the DayZ stream should be starting soon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hear they're hanging out with a girl named daisy this morning.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Stream is really bad for me, like it's just a green blob. Watching on an iPad fwiw.

Mafro

Jake should have gone straight into the city rather than just cycling past to the dam. Would have been much more interesting.

randomwab

The steam has so far had Sean spawning in DayZ, finding a bike and riding it around like the happiest guy ever, then rolling himself down a hill.

Happiest dude in an apocalyptic scenario ever.

Lijik

The steam has so far had Sean spawning in DayZ, finding a bike and riding it around like the happiest guy ever, then rolling himself down a hill.

Happiest dude in an apocalyptic scenario ever.

And then he gets to explore a sweet-ass castle
Guy is just having a time in the apocalypse

Shurs

- Threads fall off the main page with regularity...

This is because threads for good podcasts, such as Idle Thumbs, are kind of irrelevant.

Podcast threads are filled with posts from idiots throwing out catch phrases or people complaining about the hosts' opinions.

Want to know when a new episode comes out? Subscribe to the show's RSS feed or in iTunes.

Top Bottom