• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii ad hits UK magazines

Mar

So I was leafing through my newly arrived in the mail copy of Retro Gamer. Perusing the colourful pages of pixels and fun, when:

wii.jpg

BAM. It was like a punch in the face, or a kiss from a hot chick. I'm not sure which, but it certainly gets your attention regardless.

I like it.

argon

Far more effective would have been the controller on one side, and Wii in small lettering on the other side.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
Holy shit. The Wii actually came out in Europe on August 12. Why didn't anyone say anything?
You forgot that they have it backwards. So they don't get it until 2008. Poor saps.

LOcKY

Im sure your just being funny but as you know the date format are different in the EU land

:lol :lol

i really hope you were just kidding btw

AniHawk said:
Holy shit. The Wii actually came out in Europe on August 12. Why didn't anyone say anything?
I'll never understand why you crazy guys name the month before the day. And the year as last. Makes no sense in the order of things.

Mar

MutFox said:
So magazine ad scans are ok?
Just wondering.

Dodgy phone camera job.

If it's against the rules I'll remove it. Didn't think it would be a big deal considering it's just an ad, and photo taken very badly ;).

temjin

Banned
Far more effective would have been the controller on one side, and Wii in small lettering on the other side.
I love the people on this board and how they think they know how to market a console or any product for that matter.

:lol

Danj

AniHawk said:
European fanboys suck. Anyone with good taste knows that MM/DD/YY is the best.

Clearly the Japanese YYYY/MM/DD is the best, because everybody understands that.

MutFox

Banned
Martoo said:
Dodgy phone camera job.

If it's against the rules I'll remove it. Didn't think it would be a big deal considering it's just an ad, and photo taken very badly ;).
Well I don't care, I just don't want you to get banned for sharing something with us. :)
But I would think it's ok since it's only an ad.

And if it's scans are bad/photo's are ok...
Well there is a loophole... :D

Dante

Uhhhhh Ok, simple, but....Really what do you need, name of console, and launch date I guess. Exciting times with 2 console launches coming up :)

goomba

Banned
AniHawk said:
European fanboys suck. Anyone with good taste knows that MM/DD/YY is the best.

I guess you think imperial measurement is superior to the metric system too? :lol :lol

And im not European btw, I dont know of any other country that uses MM/DD/YY other than America.

AniHawk

goomba said:
I guess you think imperial measurement is superior to the metric system too? :lol :lol

And im not European btw, I dont know of any other country that uses MM/DD/YY other than America.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
:Motorbass said:
I'll never understand why you crazy guys name the month before the day. And the year as last. Makes no sense in the order of things.

I can answer this,

I was biking down the street the other day and I heard an american girl say "so you guys, say, like, 11th of september? Not like Sept 11th? That's really, like, strange"

I felt a bit guilty about dumping her friends body in the canal as well, nice euro bloke, but he looked like a telltale.

Mmmkay

GamesTM has the same ad too. Edge has one but 'wiimoveyou.co.uk' instead of the date, probably because they said they went to print just before the European Wii event.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Are your addresses

State
Road Name
Zip Code
Country
Town?

Nah, it goes in order, like Day, Month, Year!!

Anyhoo, nice advert, wrong magazine - should be like "Gardners Weekly" or something, get them talking.

maxmars said:
[[Clearly the Japanese YYYY/MM/DD is the best, because everybody understands that.]]

Yes. That way the dates are automatically sorted. Gotta love that.
But when you have a schedule, the most important detail is the day, so it comes first. Then the month and the year, BC/AC.

Oh okay, we then should switch minutes and hours as well, like it's 57:10 pm here now (wait... PM AM what's this shit again, just use 0-24 hrs geeeez)

temjin

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Like catfish was trying to say, we say "August 12th, 2006" out loud, so writing 8/12/06 makes sense.
Meh, I say "It's the 12th of August." or "It's the 12th".

Our way is correct.

xaosslug

Martoo said:
So I was leafing through my newly arrived in the mail copy of Retro Gamer. Perusing the colourful pages of pixels and fun, when:

http://129.94.222.47/wii.jpg

BAM. It was like a punch in the face, or a kiss from a hot chick. I'm not sure which, but it certainly gets your attention regardless.

I like it.

i don't quite get your disruptions as to your shock upon seeing the Wii ad for the first time, two extreme opposites, unless a punch in the face = good/kiss from a hot chick = bad? :p

Cheesemeister said:
Like catfish was trying to say, we say "August 12th, 2006" out loud, so writing 8/12/06 makes sense.

Everyone also understands when you say 12th August.

Or 8th December, as it were.

Regardless, mathematically speaking, it makes more sense to have the units in a progressive order. Both Japan and the European date system incorporate this (Singapore uses British datekeeping and spelling, BTW), America's system, for whatever reason, does not.

And concerning the ad, oddly enough, that's exactly what someone on GameFAQS suggested. No info, no nothing. Just a big "Wii'. Make 'em curious.

:Motorbass said:

I agree in what crazy world does the month come before the actual day:lol

Next gen advertising is awesome.

So far we've got a big shadow of a "3," and then the name of a console on a two page spread.

GREAT.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
AniHawk said:

In Europe we have a half-sane approach to dates, rather than the retarded MM/DD/YYYY used in the US.

Danj said:
Clearly the Japanese YYYY/MM/DD is the best, because everybody understands that.

Actually, it's also the ISO standard IIRC, and it's also best because when dates in this format are sorted they end up in ascending/descending date order, which neither the US nor the half-way-sensible-most-of-the-rest-of-the-world systems manage. Three cheers for common sense and the Japanese.

Edit: ISO 8601 defines the standard date format as YYYY-MM-DD.

Top Bottom