• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita refused classification/banned in Austrailia

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just like the console brothers.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/mortal-kombat-vita-banned-in-australia-6365200

The Sony PlayStation Vita version of the Warner Bros. classic fighting game reboot Mortal Kombat has been refused classification by the Classification Board of Australia, earning an RC rating and making it ineligible for sale across the country.

Developed by NetherRealm Studios, the Vita version of last year's Mortal Kombat was submitted to the Classification Board of Australia by Warner Bros. despite the console versions of the game being banned in Australia in February last year for "explicit" violence.

According to Warner Bros., the publisher felt that the impact of the violence in the Vita version of Mortal Kombat would be lessened by the portable console's smaller screen size.

"We felt that because of the Vita's size, the smaller screen would minimize the impact of the violence in the game and we felt it might fit within the MA15+ category," a spokesperson for Warner Bros. told GameSpot AU. "Obviously, the Classification Board of Australia did not agree."

Also the global release date is April 19th, something that I *think* is new since we only knew it would be April.

Freakin' Australia man.

fernoca

I don't get it. Didn't Australia just get an R-Rating for video games?
Read something about not going into effect until 2013.

EDIT:
Expected, not ready...to be approved after 2013.

The Federal Government legislation - covering the whole of Australia - is scheduled to come into effect on January 1, 2013 (providing there are no delays). The State and Territory legislations may arrive later.

So, there's still wait and uncertainty since is not a confirmation it might get approved.

Card Boy

Banned
The Mortal Kombat thread at whirlpool mentions the IP block on MK. TPG is one ISP from memory banning MK online.

hirokazu

A lot of ISPs have blocked all access to playing online with the console versions by order of Warner Bros I believe.

They can do that? What?

But not even the government can convince most ISPs to voluntarily block certain site traffic! How did Warner manage this?

Read something about not going into effect until 2013.

EDIT:
Expected, not ready...to be approved after 2013.

The Federal Government legislation - covering the whole of Australia - is scheduled to come into effect on January 1, 2013 (providing there are no delays). The State and Territory legislations may arrive later.

So, there's still wait and uncertainty since is not a confirmation it might get approved.

That's pretty assy. I feel for my Australian gamer brothers and sisters. =(

wwm0nkey

They are getting that R+18 rating in a few years right? Heard it finally passed and goes into effect with in a few years.

mandiller

It's been agreed upon that it's on the way but red tape and stalling from select conservative loonies is holding up the process.

I seriously worry though that all that will happen is that highly violent MA15+ games will move into the R18+ label and the same games that are being banned now will continue to be banned. I'm pretty sure the government said as much, something about not expanding the restrictions. Feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I seriously worry though that all that will happen is that highly violent MA15+ games will move into the R18+ label and the same games that are being banned now will continue to be banned. I'm pretty sure the government said as much, something about not expanding the restrictions. Feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong.

I don't know if this is what will actually happen, but a few AGs were definitely calling for it, the new SA AG in particular.

blind51de

Banned
I feel bad for you guys, but come on. You're in Australia and this should never be a surprise to you.
I don't know why you guys aren't all tight together and helping each other get around your draconian restrictions, using NTSC consoles and TVs, etc.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Time for you Australians to make your way to the local pond to talk to your Prime Minister who's drinking beer in an inner tube.

Ploid 3.0

Australia has the deadliest animals yet the most innocent people. I'd imagine their populace has seen it all and aren't phased by blood in games.

Top Bottom