• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's the NAS (Network Attached Storage) Thread, yo.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I'm no longer in the market for a NAS so I'll just slip out the back door while you guys eat all the nachos ;)

commissar

I've heard good things about QNAP devices. Thinking about the 2bay one. Was looking to get a NAS later this year, so keen on hearing others' recommendations too :)

Davidion

Can't justify the goddamn price tag on these things, otherwise I'd love to consolidate the data in my apartment all in one place.

Evlar

Banned
Always concerned about the energy consumption of these devices. It's one more thing running perpetually, so providing a hibernation state and 'wake-on-LAN' type functionality would be important to me.

Ecrofirt

The Drobo itself isn't incredibly fast, and when you add DroboShare to it (which turns it into a NAS), it gets incredibly slow.

I would not recommend using it.

edit:

FFFUUUUUUUUUUU......

My post contains inaccurate information. I didn't know what a Drobo FS was, and cannot comment on that. I only have experience with regular Drobos and DroboShare.

iFootball

Evlar said:
Always concerned about the energy consumption of these devices. It's one more thing running perpetually, so providing a hibernation state and 'wake-on-LAN' type functionality would be important to me.

I know my NAS (WD My World) has a sleep function, plus some option to even turn every LED off... you can tell it's in sleep-mode because of the time it takes to get a file after you haven't used it in a while.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I have an opensolaris build out on newegg I've been playing with since 2008. I want to leverage zfs for software raid redundancy. It's going to be great if I ever get around to building it.

I once built a 48 terabyte NAS, bitch!

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
The QNAP TS-210 (catchy!) looks like it does what I want at a good price. 2 bays, UPnP/DLNA, around £140 for a bare box.
qnap-ts-210-storage-server.jpg

I had two Western Digital MyBooks crap out on me, so I avoid them now. But to be fair, drive failure can strike anytime, anywhere. Maybe it'll happen to YOU. TONIGHT.

Evlar said:
Agreed. Although it can't be worse that what I'm doing now (leaving old PC on 24/7). I wish there was a way to wake up a PC whenever a certain machine on the network is turned on (PS3).

lachesis

Actually I'm thinking about getting a NAS soon. Upon checking many models... I just decided to go with Synology DS209, and double WD green 1TB models (firmware upgrade needed) in RAID1. Also it's known for most robust features along with top of the class read/write speed.

synology-ds209_1.jpg

Probably more than I really need though - as I'll be just using wireless .11 n streaming and back-up device for my daughter's HD cam videos and photos... as the wireless n speed will be the bottleneck of the whole thing. Nice clean design is another plus. I believe it has built in sleep function and all so the power consumption is pretty low... like 7 watts, IIRC, in sleep mode.

Perhaps in my next home, I might spend some money and attach ethernet port in every room in the house, and perhaps 4x in-wall ethernet sockets near my TV area, so that all could be networked with good ol' gigabit wire for faster transfer.

otake

half a moon said:
What's the consensus on all the raid types? I'd want at least raid 1.

Doing software raid without zfs, stick to raid 1. Anything else is BS, unless you're using zfs in which case I think raidz is safe.

Basically, unless you're doing hardware raid, stick to raid 1.

Davidion

Evlar said:

Yet I have to wonder if it's actually capable of some energy savings since right now when my computer is running, it's powering FOUR drives at all times.

I'd love to have my OS, core apps/games, and some utilities on my main drive and leave all of my media and backups somewhere else.

lachesis said:
Perhaps in my next home, I might spend some money and attach ethernet port in every room in the house, and perhaps 4x in-wall ethernet sockets near my TV area, so that all could be networked with good ol' gigabit wire for faster transfer.

That just gave me wood.

Do not buy a Drobo our graphics department bought the first generation Drobo and it was a pain. We traded it in and got a deal on the newer version with the Droboshare network attachment fully updated the firmware etc. and every day at some point it crashes. After it crashes it takes 15-20 minutes for it to come back online. We dealt with this for a couple of months and just went with a custom RAID enclosure so far so good.

RevoDS

My Acer EasyStore H340 was easily the best purchase I've made this year. It's a little slow since it's only running on a netbook CPU, but 4 HDD bays and the capabilities of Windows Home Server make it well worth it, especially since it's quite cheap, even compared to most NASs (paid mine $400)

nodle

Just build yourself a machine that uses Windows Home Server. It's awesome. I stream to my PS3 just fine with it. I tried one of those Synology NAS once, and it was so slow due to the lack of memory and cpu. So i returned it. Once you use WHS you will fall in love with it. Microsoft really did well.

3184547453_14ea850d8a.jpg

nodle said:
Just build yourself a machine that uses Windows Home Server. It's awesome. I stream to my PS3 just fine with it. I tried one of those Synology NAS once, and it was so slow due to the lack of memory and cpu. So i returned it. Once you use WHS you will fall in love with it. Microsoft really did well.

3184547453_14ea850d8a.jpg
This is probably what I'll do.

Ramma2

lachesis said:
Actually I'm thinking about getting a NAS soon. Upon checking many models... I just decided to go with Synology DS209, and double WD green 1TB models (firmware upgrade needed) in RAID1. Also it's known for most robust features along with top of the class read/write speed.

Probably more than I really need though - as I'll be just using wireless .11 n streaming and back-up device for my daughter's HD cam videos and photos... as the wireless n speed will be the bottleneck of the whole thing. Nice clean design is another plus. I believe it has built in sleep function and all so the power consumption is pretty low... like 7 watts, IIRC, in sleep mode.

You have chosen wisely. I currently am running a DS 209j, one of the best tech investments I've ever made.

Raid 1
Remote Administration
Remote File Access (web based)
FTP Server
iTunes Server
Backup to External USB Device (for offsite backups)

Plus a bunch of other stuff I just haven't gotten around to implementing yet. Amazing device.

Cheeto

nodle said:
Does WHS offer anything that you can't get in a standard Linux distro?

nodle

Cheeto said:
Does WHS offer anything that you can't get in a standard Linux distro?

Maybe the ease for a regular user that isn't use to Linux. Plus there are alot of addons. Check out http://www.wegotserved.com/ for more info. Seems like everyone that uses it falls in love with it. There are really no complaints out there for it. Even for a MS product :lol

otake

nodle said:
Maybe the ease for a regular user that isn't use to Linux. Plus there are alot of addons. Check out http://www.wegotserved.com/ for more info. Seems like everyone that uses it falls in love with it. There are really no complaints out there for it. Even for a MS product :lol

It's using ntfs and software raid. That is not good. But I guess it works, if you need something now and without a learning curve.

nodle

I used hardware raid before i went to it. But trying to add larger drives etc. was where it go me without having to re-build the whole array. I just wanted something where I could toss in larger drives when I purchase them. Also compared to a raid array. Even if my machine dies I can just pop the drives out and still be able to see my data. It has it's pluses over raid.

Cheeto

nodle said:
Cool thanks, I wasn't trying to troll or anything... I just want to know what's out there. I'm eventually going to centralize all the data in my house in a server. Right now it's just sitting on a couple 1.5 TB drives in my HTPC.

otake

nodle said:
I used hardware raid before i went to it. But trying to add larger drives etc. was where it go me without having to re-build the whole array. I just wanted something where I could toss in larger drives when I purchase them. Also compared to a raid array. Even if my machine dies I can just pop the drives out and still be able to see my data. It has it's pluses over raid.

It has it's pros but I don't think software raid is bad, I just don't trust ntfs.

nodle

Cheeto said:
Cool thanks, I wasn't trying to troll or anything... I just want to know what's out there. I'm eventually going to centralize all the data in my house in a server. Right now it's just sitting on a couple 1.5 TB drives in my HTPC.

I know you weren't. It's really worth taking a look into though I researched my brains out before I built. But I haven't regretted it once. All of my computers just share to it in the home. It's really a great peace of mind. I don't even use all the potential of it. Such as the remote features etc. Like I said look into it, and read some other peoples reviews of it.

Naka

I'm running a Synology DS408 with 4 1TB hard drives in Raid5. I love this device. It was super easy to setup and I don't have to do anything to maintain it at all. I setup my volume and shares and just leave it be. My PS3 and 360 both can see it as a UPnP device. I constantly stream media off it to my PS3. Obviously mine is 2 years old right now but Synology just released the '10 version of this device and it looks pretty solid. I've recommended these units to two co-workers and both of them love theirs as well. Here's a link to the newest unit:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/ds410/index.php

Forsete

I got the Qnap TS-509 with 5x 320GB drives running in RAID5. It's a really stable device, I have been running it since 2008 with no issues. Web-server, FTP server, media server (comes with TwonkyMedia) whatever you want that has a Linux version is portable it seems. I can even burn CD or DVD images directly off it (having a DVD-burner connected to the NAS), you just write a few commands via SSH and it unrars and bruns the disc. It has 1GB of RAM and a 1.6GHz Intel Celeron processor, so you never run out of power, at least I have not yet.

A few weeks ago one of the WD HDDs crashed which I RMA:d and replaced, no data loss.

Two-three days ago something happened during a standard shut-down procedure, which corrupted a configuration file but the Qnap support guys were very fast to respond and the next working day (aka. today) they fixed it within a ½ hour, no data loss. *knocks on wood* :D

Edit: It seems the TS-509 Pro has been replaced by the TS-559 Pro.

i have a synology NAS and i *LOVE* it.

the front-end software is great, support on the synology forums is excellent -- huge community, imo. there are tons of linux packages you can download and install using the synology front end. i love the thing.

plus iphone app to stream your music or pictures. feels good man.

WalkMan

Banned
20100406-dr6jw9sai7qtirsjimfx63ihwy.jpg

HP MediaSmart, not a fan of the drobo because if I recall it stores everything in their own proprietary file system and have had bad experiences with the drobo.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I plugged a HDD in my router and it just works. Using it as the iTunes library now, works like a charm.

question, how does a NAS work? Is the Raid Hardware or driver based? Do they usually use embeded linux as the os or do i have install my own OS. How many concurrent connections can a typical NAS take? How easily is it to saturate the bandwith? Do they typically have QoS models built in for heavy load?

jagowar

RevoDS said:
My Acer EasyStore H340 was easily the best purchase I've made this year. It's a little slow since it's only running on a netbook CPU, but 4 HDD bays and the capabilities of Windows Home Server make it well worth it, especially since it's quite cheap, even compared to most NASs (paid mine $400)
Acer_Aspire_easyStore_H340-01_fv.jpg

I initially tried the drobo but it was VERY slow when transferring data (10-20 mb/sec) but I hear the newer ones are much better in this dept. I decided to try the acer h340 as well and LOVE it (ended up keeping it and returning the drobo). Transfers run 60-70 mb/sec and it can do more than a nas and is much easier to administer.

I hear the HP models are good too but I got the acer because it was cheaper and included 2 1.0TB drives when I got it on a sale.

p2535748

I have two NAS systems, one ReadyNAS Pro from NetGear and one unRAID server from Lime Technology.

The ReadyNAS has a lot of nice features in terms of web access and admin and things like that, but in terms of just serving files over a network, the unRAID server has been great, and it's fairly cheap. You can build your own system and just get the software, or get a pre-built system from them, it's expandable to 15 disks, it allows you to mix drives types, speeds and sizes, you can grow the array as you go, and for home server type applications, it's been plenty fast.

I have put all of my DVDs and Blu-Rays on it, and the streaming to my HTPC has been excellent. Keep in mind this is without any recompression, so I'm talking about 40Gig+ files.

Anyway, if you're looking for a lot of storage at a fairly reasonable price, it's worth checking out.

8 terabytes of awesomeness!

30tpe0x.jpg

Highly recommend it since it can do so much and has a ton of add ins and can run most Windows software which means its extremely flexible and has a lot of functionality. Even the software RAID that it implements has a lot of advantages. Can't recommend it enough as it's one of those devices that was a life changer for me. Up there with my first Tivo, my Logitech Harmony and my iPhone. It wasn't my first NAS, but it was just so far above and beyond my old one.

derder

nodle said:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3184547453_14ea850d8a.jpg
I have a free copy of Server 2008 R2 through my college, should I just use that instead?

guise

Im running a Synology 209 aswell across windows & mac.

my only regret is not buying bigger, faster disks to put in it. now im out of space and using attached USB storage which defeats the point of RAID. Teaches me for skimping on my original purchase

Dipswitch

I've got an older Readynas unit at home (X6) and while it does a decent job, it's pretty slow. I use it to stream pictures, music and documents around my home, but it seriously chugs at times. Especially when it comes to running Slimserver (Or whatever the fuck they call it these days). Rock solid though - will run for months with nary a complaint.

I probably wouldn't get another one however, as they're seriously underpowered and quite expensive. I'll probably look into the new version of Windows Home Server when it comes out hopefully later this year. Those units tends to be more affordably priced and will probably integrate better with my Xbox 360 and Windows network.

Top Bottom