• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF seems more civil

What do you think? Am I wrong?

From my perspective, it seems as thought the conversations on GAF have become more civilized. It seems like most of the emotional posters who stirred the pot left during the exodus.

This new environment where people aren’t constantly attacking/berating each other and instead just having normal conversations is a huge improvement in terms of having meaningful conversations with people without immediately ostracizing them (not including the extremely irrational ones).

Chuckie

I've seen someone say 'that fat bitch deserved to die' about the girl who was run over at a protest, I see people calling others 'soy boy' and in the gaming forum I see console warriors calling others fucking fanboys for preferring HZD over BOTW....

So no, it doesn't seem to be more civilized.

llien

Um, no, while some things did change for the better, there is quite a bit of new shit, which will hopefully be addressed once new moderators are finally found.

RefigeKru

Banned
It's a cesspool.

It took like a day to get rid of a guy saying black people should be happy about slavery after he posted all sorts of shit, you can now seemingly swear at people as much as you want, and the level of general conversation has plummeted. It's so much worse.

I've seen someone say 'that fat bitch deserved to die' about the girl who was run over at a protest, I see people calling others 'soy boy' and in the gaming forum I see console warriors calling others fucking fanboys for preferring HZD over BOTW....

So no, it doesn't seem to be more civilized.

Ok fair point but to me it seems the heard mentality pile on, at least in off topic, has died down substantially.

It's a cesspool.

It took like a day to get rid of a guy saying black people should be happy about slavery after he posted all sorts of shit, you can now seemingly swear at people as much as you want, and the level of general conversation has plummeted. It's so much worse.

Posters like that isn’t new,is it? I do understand that it might take longer to remove them due to the current mod situation.

It's a cesspool.

Conversation on the gaming side is much better - people actually talking about Xenoblade 2 instead of complaining about boobs.

And while surely there is the odd racist troll, discussion in general is now much better because people aren't banned for the 'wrong opinion' anymore. The dog piling has also gone back.

It'll take some more time, but NeoGAF is on a good path currently.

RefigeKru

Banned
Conversation on the gaming side is much better - people actually talking about Xenoblade 2 instead of complaining about boobs.

And while surely there is the odd racist troll, discussion in general is now much better because people aren't banned for the 'wrong opinion' anymore. The dog piling has also gone back.

It'll take some more time, but NeoGAF is on a good path currently.

Good path to obscurity, I'm not going to pretend it's any better now without a mod presence and any actual pull in terms of news, conversation, insight, comedy, whatever - it's objectively worse now - that's why everyone left.

Good path to obscurity, I'm not going to pretend it's any better now without a mod presence and any actual pull in terms of news, conversation, insight, comedy, whatever - it's objectively worse now - that's why everyone left.

Iirc, people originally left for other reasons.

Edit: OTs need improvement though, I agree.

And they stay away because? Let's not dance around it - there's somewhere else to be.

They will come back in dribs and drabs, the moderation on that site is getting even more unhinged than here before they left.....mansplanning bans for real.

I like the new gaf, the lack of how do i pee/drink/be a normal person threads is nice

And they stay away because? Let's not dance around it - there's somewhere else to be.

Btw, you will still get banned for the "wrong opinion". Don't believe me? Try it. Say what you know you shouldn't loudly, unabashed.

I am an ancap. I don't like the left because it's more about emotion much of the time during a conversation. I don't like the right because they're too far up one another's butthole circle jerking about nationalism and how we ought to respect the flag. There are other reasons, that's just quickly off the top of my head.

Saying that a few months ago would get you dog-piled on for having the wrong opinion. Perhaps not a ban, but if you don't want to discuss anything because you know the result, it's basically the same thing.

And yet you're here, complaining about how shit NeoGAF is. Nobody's forcing you. You're the worst kind of user - while the rest of us make an effort to build NeoGAF into something better, your only activity consists of decrying this forum, ultimately creating a self-fullfiling prophecy, because yeah, if people just keep complaining instead of starting to discuss various topic, discourse will indeed be shit. It's in your own hands. Of course, you don't seem to be interested in making this forum a better place.

RefigeKru

Banned
And yet you're here, complaining about how shit NeoGAF is. Nobody's forcing you. You're the worst kind of user - while the rest of us make an effort to build NeoGAF into something better, your only activity consists of decrying this forum, ultimately creating a self-fullfiling prophecy, because yeah, if people just keep complaining instead of starting to discuss various topic, discourse will indeed be shit. It's in your own hands. Of course, you don't seem to be interested in making this forum a better place.

Like clockwork.

Do you guys realise we've had this thread like 9 times already? Plays out the same way every time.

Also you can't talk about the improved diversity of opinion while trying to oust me. You're just like those you profess to hate, hence the projection.

Like clockwork.

Do you guys realise we've had this thread like 9 times already? Plays out the same way every time.

Also you can't talk about the improved diversity of opinion while trying to oust me. You're just like those you profess to hate, hence the projection.

Because people don’t offer suggestions. They do make a valid point and so do you.

You will have those that are trying to rebuild GAF and others criticizing it. In the end, it should lead to a better discussion and call to action rather than an ultimatum about the destruction of a forum that we’re posting on.

Seems like dog piling for having the wrong opinion is still strong, it's just the definition of "wrong opinion" has changed and there's an attempt to re-establish an echo chamber of another variety.

This forum is in a sorry state, much less civil, much much slower, less interesting, nowhere near as funny and terrible OT's.

Like clockwork.

And why is it that we're having this thread over and over again? Because users like you flock to them and stay silent when it comes to all other topics.

I'm not 'ousting' you, I'm just fed up about users shitting on the new NeoGAF while contributing nothing themselves. Go talk in other topics. Not enough news? Go create new threads. It's that easy.

RefigeKru

Banned
And why is it that we're having this thread over and over again? Because users like you flock to them and stay silent when it comes to all other topics.

I'm not 'ousting' you, I'm just fed up about users shitting on the new NeoGAF while contributing nothing themselves. Go talk in other topics. Not enough news? Go create new threads. It's that easy.

Nah, I feel really reasonable actually.

You can act like it's my fault if you want though, does me no harm.

Z..

I remain quite active and agree with the other poster that pretending the problem isn't here will make it go away. There have been some improvements, that much is undeniable, but to suggest this place could actually be better overall is completely delusional, there has been a massive and sharp decline in the quality of the discussion around here and most of the issues that plague NewGaf are intolerable and demand constant protest until they are adressed properly. This place has become a circus and a festering breeding ground for extremists.

I remain quite active and agree with the other poster that pretending the problem isn't here will make it go away. There have been some improvements, that much is undeniable, but to suggest this place could actually be better overall is completely delusional, there has been a massive and sharp decline in the quality of the discussion around here and most of the issues that plague NewGaf are intolerable and demand constant protest until they are adressed properly. This place has become a circus and a festering breeding ground for extremists.

That's just not true. The number one problem right now is a general lack of activity. That's also due to many juniors not being able to create new threads. If I could, I would have made a thread about the newly announced Boku no Hero Academia-game, just for example.

The term 'circus' is infinitely more fitting for the other forum where many old gaf-users went to. There's simply no denying that. I agree that there are 2-3 rightwing users currently active here that post stuff I don't like either, but again, that's only so visible because of the lack of overall activity. And even though I find some stuff the aforementioned users post annoying, I'm glad they're not banned. Unless someone is truly hateful, he shouldn't be silenced.

Oh I get it now. Those of us who are still here clearly don't agree with the folks on the other forum so that makes it worse to be here.

Sorry I'm not a leftist. Sorry that in the LGBTQIAS(#*$)@#()$ thread when I asked if there were libertarian folks or other sources of community besides left I was ignored. Yeah, I certainly miss that!

And it's also nice lumping us all in with a few folks who choose to come out and be assholes, yeah.

Z..

That's just not true. The number one problem right now is a general lack of activity. That's also due to many juniors not being able to create new threads. If I could, I would have made a thread about the newly announced Boku no Hero Academia-game, just for example.

The term 'circus' is infinitely more fitting for the other forum where many old gaf-users went to. There's simply no denying that. I agree that there are 2-3 rightwing users currently active here that post stuff I don't like either, but again, that's only so visible because of the lack of overall activity. And even though I find some stuff the aforementioned users post annoying, I'm glad they're not banned. Unless someone is truly hateful, he shouldn't be silenced.

Agree with the bolded. Era is a different kind of circus but I fundamentally agree there too. Member of both and not planning to leave either, though.

Regarding the silencing, I'd personally like to see the constant hateful derailings and those who cause them adressed and while I, again, fundamentally agree I still think they should be reprimanded with light bans if a consistent pattern emerges. Mods should remain civil, restrained and above all else cold headed, but never passive.

Relativ9

Regarding the silencing, I'd personally like to see the constant hateful derailings and those who cause them adressed and while I, again, fundamentally agree I still think they should be reprimanded with light bans if a consistent pattern emerges. Mods should remain civil, restrained and above all else cold headed, but never passive.

I think the problem with that is that right now there doesn't seem to be any clear picture of who the community regards as "those people" I can think of a few people who seem to be pretty far right who certainly derail the conversation and utter rather extreme viewpoints. But it seems like large swaths of the posters on the left would include just about anyone they don't agree with in that category.

Blood Borne

From my perspective, it seems as thought the conversations on GAF have become more civilized. It’s seems like most of the emotional posters who stirred the pot left during the exodus.

This new environment where people aren’t constantly attacking/berating each other and instead just having normal conversations is a huge improvement in terms of having meaningful conversations with people without immediately ostracizing them (not including the extremely irrational ones).

double entendre

T.v

The trend I have seen does not fill me with a sense of civility. There are less bans, true, but this has caused a lot of discussions to go completely off the rails. An influx of members who now feel like this is some lawless state. There is not enough guidance here right now. We need more mods. That should be priority number one. In influx of members right now will only further enhance the problems that have come up these past weeks.

i-Lo

Nope. General lack of accountability, trolling, being racist, disgusting personal insults (over on gaming side) is on the rise. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this place turns into 4chan given the current lack of moderation.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
there was one guy with the user name heinrichhimmler... still some idiots creating account suicide threads..

but mods working in the shadows lurking.

watching

Relativ9

there was one guy with the user name heinrichhimmler... still some idiots creating account suicide threads..

but mods working in the shadows lurking.

watching

He was banned pretty quickly though wasn't he? I think I saw him in the favorite number thread post 88, and a few hours later he was gone.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

From my perspective, it seems as thought the conversations on GAF have become more civilized. It’s seems like most of the emotional posters who stirred the pot left during the exodus.

I agree. It’s definitely more civil.

Maedre

Banned
I don’t know. It’s extremely empty here. The speed of conversations has slowed down. That can result in a more civil conversation style. But users like Our 88 guy was able to exist for to long in here. I reported him many days before his ban and i was negatively surprised how long he could operate here. That he was able to register with such a name is not understandable for me.

Mesousa

Banned
They will come back in dribs and drabs, the moderation on that site is getting even more unhinged than here before they left.....mansplanning bans for real.

I like the new gaf, the lack of how do i pee/drink/be a normal person threads is nice

They won't come back, and when that other forum dies they will migrate to a platform like reddit.

The bbs Internet forum is a thing of the past. Social media and Reddit will see to that.

Battlechili

Banned
Based on the threads I've posted in on the Gaming section I'd have to agree.
The site is really relaxing now.

Even my thread on Omega Labyrinth was surprisingly tame and simply had posts of people interested in and/or discussing the game as opposed to what it would have been before the GAF drama happened.

Shifty

Definitely agree. That "Where to go from Mario Odyssey" troll thread on Gaming Side actually ran a reasonable course before it got locked, with people actually presenting their arguments instead of simply screeching at each other as it would have been pre-exodus.

Granted there is still plenty of bollocks, console warriors spamming up threads with rubbish and whatnot, but I think GAF is back on the right path.

It seems to be a certain element is emboldened. I see a lot of really dismissive (sometimes outright nasty) remarks about minorities and women that go untouched, both OT and gaming. There is a topic about the grammys at the top of the board with a guy talking about how anti-white racism is worse than anti-black. There's another topic about how we shouldn't call prejudiced people racist.

They have more posts than the topic for the Avengers trailer of all things. So it seems like it was ok to prioritize identity politics over "fun" stuff after all, just as long as it's white identity politics.

I keep peeking in to see if my perception was wrong but it is continually reinforced.

Edit -

Oh I get it now. Those of us who are still here clearly don't agree with the folks on the other forum so that makes it worse to be here.

Sorry I'm not a leftist. Sorry that in the LGBTQIAS(#*$)@#()$ thread when I asked if there were libertarian folks or other sources of community besides left I was ignored. Yeah, I certainly miss that!

And it's also nice lumping us all in with a few folks who choose to come out and be assholes, yeah.

Like, what is this? The nasty sarcasm about the LGBTQ label, then acting like it's oppression for someone to quietly ignore you when you ignore the subject of the topic to passive aggressively ask about something unrelated. Why would I be glad that this person feels more welcome here?

Based on the threads I've posted in on the Gaming section I'd have to agree.
The site is really relaxing now.

Even my thread on Omega Labyrinth was surprisingly tame and simply had posts of people interested in and/or discussing the game as opposed to what it would have been before the GAF drama happened.

Whats the GAFtroversy with omega labyrinth?

Caboose

LMAO. Place is a ghost town. Lots of nasties crawling out of the woodwork too. GAF will soon be completely irrelevant at this rate.

tkscz

There certainly is a lot less dog piling and a LOT less passive aggressive "lol I so clever" comments which is very refreshing.

Battlechili

Banned
Whats the GAFtroversy with omega labyrinth?
Well, there was never any controversy regarding the game itself here. Moreso that such would've occurred had it existed pre-drama as other similar game threads have had. (Criminal Girls, Nights of Azure 2, and even an obscure Level-5 phone game fit under this). Lots of arguing about the merits of fanservice, discussion about whether or not the games are pedophillic, and people just laughing off the game as "those gosh darned quirky Japanese have done it again".

A certain other offshoot site had its thread on the game locked after six pages of posts that were either going "lol Japan" or having arguments about whether or not the game is pedophilic and/or harmful towards women.
I'd recommend giving the thread a look over there. A google search of the offshoot site and "Omega Labyrinth" should take you there, as unfortunately it seems I can't link there directly.

I don't know what threads you've been in but you're quite wrong unfortunately. The drop in quality is astonishing and this place feels more like any other public video game forum than it ever has. C'est la vie.

But gaming is gaming and at least there's still a shred of GAF left.

Edit: there may be less 'teaming up' against one side which is good in theory, but that's also just a side affect of less intelligent discourse and seemingly not having to back opinions up with reason anymore.

Top Bottom