• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

Woorloog

Banned
Exactly. lol

Unless they actually pacify the stupid indoctrination theory people, anything that happens in the middle of the game doesn't matter.

Well, one can always ignore the story and concentrate on shooting stuff.
I'm hoping that any future single player DLC is more or less its own thing, not really related to the main plot, unless the Extended Cut actually fixes the thing.

Also, Indoctrination theory sucks, it doens't make the ending better, it makes it even worse in my opinion.

pakkit

Banned
I'm going to replay through ME3 for this...And I'm going to avoid this thread and the ME OT too, since they ruined the ending the first time for me with all the caterwauling.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Well, one can always ignore the story and concentrate on shooting stuff.
I'm hoping that any future single player DLC is more or less its own thing, not really related to the main plot, unless the Extended Cut actually fixes the thing.

Also, Indoctrination theory sucks, it doens't make the ending better, it makes it even worse in my opinion.

It makes it so there isn't even an ending, according to indoctrination theory it was "all a dream".

I let GAF get to me and ended up stopping maybe 15 hours into the game. I've avoided every spoiler, going to be the guinea pig for seeing how the patched ending comes across fresh.

I still think this is a bad idea on EA's part and will only result in making things worse.

Mindlog

No, they had to try something. I still liked ME3 a lot, but that ending is... we've been there. I'm completely serious when I say I would have rather seen the Reapers win than get what we got.

Actually I really like that idea. In the next game you wake up as a frozen agent from the past. You play a character similar to what Javik was in ME3. This let's you play as any old race amongst an entirely new cast of races and possible gameplay mechanics.

fffffffffffffffffphbltt

To anyone considering playing this weekend to raise their EMS rating: There's a high probability you're going to get kicked out of a lot of lobbies unless you have a Krogan, Batarian or Vorcha.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Since I've already uninstalled it an Origin, I'll youtube it. I may not have liked the ending, but the ride for the most part was fun.

I haven't finished the game yet but enjoyed what I experienced so far. I still haven't been spoiled on what makes the ending so shit, so it will be interesting to see how this goes. I want to like the Mass Effect franchise. Here's hoping.

There's just no way something grafted on as an afterthought in order to please people will be successful in actually pleasing people. Especially gamer people. Set expectations to 'low.'

TheYanger

Of course it won't change anything. I don't think they could have done it faster, but regardless of if they could or not it's simply been too long for most people. We've moved past caring. The 'correct' course of action was to not release such shit in the first place, but that's obviously not in the cards anymore.

nel e nel

pretty sure they mean playing as shepard is done... as in you won't be creating his story any more.

The only thing we created was Shepard's appearance. Outside of that, we were merely given choices on how to nudge the overall story that Bioware wanted to tell.

DTKT

The only thing we created was Shepard's appearance. Outside of that, we were merely given choices on how to nudge the overall story that Bioware wanted to tell.

Hey now now.

I can still pick who I want to bang. That's what RPG are all about.

Trigger

I'll go ahead and rent the game again. That YouTube link of Casey Hudson talking about the extended cut was funny too. I wish developers could be more candid about this stuff.

Of course it won't change anything. I don't think they could have done it faster, but regardless of if they could or not it's simply been too long for most people. We've moved past caring. The 'correct' course of action was to not release such shit in the first place, but that's obviously not in the cards anymore.

Truth.

nel e nel

Meh, that ship sailed long ago.

I just play ME2 again if I want a good ending.

contra35-344x300.jpg

DTKT

Lol, video, its just audio, and they are still on their high horses.

I don't think anyone could have expected anything else. Since the beginning, Bioware has never admitted to any failings or acknowledged any of the criticism. This is just a "we give you more content because we understand that you love the characters". And that's only part of the issue.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can't imagine how this is going to fix anything. Doesn't matter. Any love I felt for the series is long gone, and BioWare will really have to do something amazing to get a single penny from me ever again.

But, hey. They ruined 3 games with 10 minutes before, maybe they can fix it with 10 minutes more.

oh god only 10 mins to try and explain and cover those plot chasms ....... this is gonna be good. Hell even if I was still interested in ME 3 I would youtube it, I mean 1.9gbs just for 10 mins of cut scenes (yes I know there will have to be several different versions of the same cut scene).

It's probably just 10 minutes total with the scenes we've already seen in the end of the game. I doubt it will be 10 minutes of new scenes. Don't expect much.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's probably just 10 minutes total with the scenes we've already seen in the end of the game. I doubt it will be 10 minutes of new scenes. Don't expect much.

Well they might have added 2 minutes at the beginning of Earth(stuff like actually showing Rachnis in cutscenes maybe?), another 2 minutes around the beam part... i dont think its just 10 minutes right at the end with nothing new before Illusive Man/Anderson.

Interview with Mac Walters and Casey Hudson about the DLC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7xk1_x8ko&feature=player_embedded#!

I will definitely check this out. Looking forward to it!

What if...what if it totally blows us away and turns out to FIX and make ME3 have the best ending ever...

Mass Effect 3 is still in my top running for GOTY....

...But, hey. They ruined 3 games with 10 minutes before, maybe they can fix it with 10 minutes more.

Bioware Indoctrination is an insidious means of corrupting organic minds. Reprogramming the brain through physical and psychological condition, using PR stunts, developer interviews and other subliminal methods. Bioware's resulting control over the Limbic system leaves the victim highly susceptible to it's suggestions.....

Anyways loved ME1, ME2 was good (it would have been worse if I didnt play the first one). ME3 was plot hole central (but things were ok until near the end) and that ending wtf. Like many said in this thread, i think the only thing that saves this is the indoctirnation theory (spoilers in vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck)
which alows the whole ending to re-written since the scene on the crucible was all an illusion they can start from scratch and not "patch" the shit already there
, but who knows maybe im just indoctrinated myself into thinking the ME3 ending is fixable

Mastperf

No, they had to try something. I still liked ME3 a lot, but that ending is... we've been there. I'm completely serious when I say I would have rather seen the Reapers win than get what we got.

Actually I really like that idea. In the next game you wake up as a frozen agent from the past. You play a character similar to what Javik was in ME3. This let's you play as any old race amongst an entirely new cast of races and possible gameplay mechanics.

fffffffffffffffffphbltt

To anyone considering playing this weekend to raise their EMS rating: There's a high probability you're going to get kicked out of a lot of lobbies unless you have a Krogan, Batarian or Vorcha.
Hmm, that actually sounds pretty cool. Instead of people discussing how they ruined the ME universe, we could be discussing possible ways they could continue the story. They could introduce all new races and new conflicts.
Now you've made me sad again about what they actually gave us...

Hmm, that actually sounds pretty cool. Instead of people discussing how they ruined the ME universe, we could be discussing possible ways they could continue the story. They could introduce all new races and new conflicts.

Yep. I lose a little bit of my soul every time the ME3 ending is brought up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unless they drastically change the ending, there's absolutely no way the game can continue past the ending that we've got.

Everyone is cut off from each other and everyone at Earth is doomed to die of starvation. lol

gatti-man

Man i wish every game was held to this insane bioware standard of story telling. Some of you guys are truly off the deep end. Sure some things about it sucked but atleast they didnt go weak and just kill all reapers. They took a chance and failed but it isnt nearly as bad as half of you are making it out to be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man i wish every game was held to this insane bioware standard of story telling. Some of you guys are truly off the deep end. Sure some things about it sucked but atleast they didnt go weak and just kill all reapers. They took a chance and failed but it isnt nearly as bad as half of you are making it out to be.
Other game companies aren't trying to sell you on their storytelling either.

AB12

If it didn't work well in Deus Ex and Matrix, what are the chances it is gonna work in ME universe. Ripping off others is trying now.

Trigger

There was nothing risky about the ending at all. They didn't take a chance so much as they just gave a lazy, poorly thought out conclusion to a trilogy.

The ending was extremely poorly written, yet another example of a shitty over-arching plot in a Bioware game, which is compensated for by the generally excellent side stuff (Mordin, Legion, etc). Though I do wish more squadmates who survived ME2 could be recruited here. Sucks that we only see Zaeed and Kasumi so briefly.

inky

An ending that makes sense, takes into account your journey and is not completely franchise anihilating is now some "insane standard of storytelling" LOL.

Mastperf

Unless they drastically change the ending, there's absolutely no way the game can continue past the ending that we've got.

Everyone is cut off from each other and everyone at Earth is doomed to die of starvation. lol
Yeah, that was why I thought the Reapers winning (this round) would have been cool. Maybe the ending consisting of trying to get the right people to shelters in order to freeze them. They could still reveal the truth about the Reapers but have you be forced to give up the present in order to free the future.

This is probably worth noting.

So is 1.9 GB significant?

Mostly video/cut scenes?

Ha.

Madness.

It's actually worse than half of us are making it out to be. A perfect example of over-promising, under-delivering and just how rushed the game was.

I just want to know how the fuck that ending got approved. Are you telling me that out of a team of probably 150+ people that not ONE person had any common sense to say, "Okay slow the fuck down, that ending is bullshit and retarded, back to the drawing board."

I just want to know how the fuck that ending got approved. Are you telling me that out of a team of probably 150+ people that not ONE person had any common sense to say, "Okay slow the fuck down, that ending is bullshit and retarded, back to the drawing board."
If I remember correctly, only two people (Casey and some other guy, I think?) were responsible for creating the ending and they did it behind closed doors.

They ran out of time.

The people in charge didn't care about the final product.

The people in charge didn't care about the money their customers were spending.

The people in charge didn't care about the time their customers were investing.

Top Bottom