• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon Gamefreak! Shock the world with Gen VI!

How far along is the anime? Is it possible they'd get through to the end of Unova this year?

More than possible. The sixth badge is being won at the end of the month in Japan, with the fifth having been won in January.

This being part of my conspiracy that there is no way in hell that they would put that much effort into making 150 3D models for a free app.

Those models were used in PokePark 2.

Just so there's no confusion, Junichi Masuda is the director of Pokemon. Previously he had done the music for the early games, and even still does some music on the latest games. Whenever he shows up on Pokemon Smash, it's almost always related to a new game announcement.

...Or a Mewtwo wifi give away.
Don't mean to kill the hype...

Judging by the lack of advertisement for this in the Pokemon Smash press release, I'm guessing it'll be an announcement of an announcement, similar to what HG/SS had, with the reveal taking place the week after.

Those models were used in PokePark 2.

fred-mercury-queen-meme-so-close.png

Well I think this has the possibilty to be the smallest generation since gen 1 & 2 , solely because of this hardware split. On the other I just cant see Rse remakes coming after gen 6.

Wiseblade

Andrex and Suairyu, we need to set up some rules for this feud just in case Masuda does announce Grey this week. Obviously a DS/DSi enchanced game would count as you victory, but what about a hypothetical DS/3DS enhanced game? IIRC this technically isn't possible, but if it happened...

Balb

To be honest, I'd be quite impressed to see Pokemon Battle Revolution level graphics on the 3DS :)

Same here. I wouldn't want them at the expense of faster-paced battles though. D/P was terrible in that regard, though they seemed to fix it slightly in the following games.

They've been reusing the same models for the old pokemon since Stadium, I fully expect them to reuse the Pokemon revolution models too.

Edit: what wise blade said!

They did update a few of the old Pokemon like Venusaur and Charizard in Battle Revolution, so they could update the older ones. And on a smaller screen, they probably wouldn't look to bad.

Suairyu

Banned
I've made peace with the fact that the next main games will likely abandon the gorgeous underrated pixel art, partly to make things seem fresh and also take better advantage of the 3D screen.
Low resolution nature of the back-facing sprites aside, they look gorgeous. Like the anime in game form. I should probably accept it, but honestly it'd be a massive shame. Even on the overworld, Black and White got the fusion of 3D and 2D art so damn perfect and beautiful. It's so much a part of the Pokémon aesthetic that I'd hate to lose it.

And for a mainline game, I'd think GameFreak would start from scratch and re-do all the 3D models. Why do all that work when they just invested god knows how many man hours in making all the 2D sprites animated? Given the 3DS screen doesn't have any more v-resolution than the DS screen, those sprites are 3DS-ready.

Andrex and Suairyu, we need to set up some rules for this feud just in case Masuda does announce Grey this week. Obviously a DS/DSi enchanced game would count as you victory, but what about a hypothetical DS/3DS enhanced game? IIRC this technically isn't possible, but if it happened...
DS/DSi - Victory team DS; member of team DS calls dibs on Grey OT

3DS exclusive - Victory team 3DS; Team 3DS dibs Grey OT

Magical DS carts with 3DS enhancements - I dunno, man, because the statement that "it'll be on DS" would still be true whereas the statement "it won't be on DS" would be false. Maybe I'm just biased, but 3DS enhanced DS cart seems more in favour of my side. I mean, Andrex and I even brought up the gameboy color enhancements of Gen II to support our argument in the past. I'm not saying we'd be victors of the argument, more we'd be team that lost the least.

Crazy notion that it gets released on both consoles as separate versions - civil war.

No Grey - Tears. Salty, salty tears.

edit - We're all agreed that the the OT will refer to it as "grey", regardless of if Nintendo calls it "gray" in NA, right?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
More than possible. The sixth badge is being won at the end of the month in Japan, with the fifth having been won in January.

7 more months to get 2 more badges (and whatever Iris does) and a league tournament outta the way? Could be possible! Theres no battle frontier this time around so where could they possibly go this time around if not a new region?

"No, not at all. We are done with this generation with Pokémon Black and White Edition."
- Mana Ibe, designer on Pokémon Black/White

Junichi Masuda, one of the developers at Gamefreak who make the Pokemon games, has replied to a fans request on Twitter to remake Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.

”Thanks for your thoughts. Ruby and Sapphire are important games to me. I will consider your request.”

The quotes add up! They're shooting for Gen VI or bust @_@

Suairyu

Banned
Didn't Iwata say that Game Freak were the first to get 3DS dev kits?
Not entirely relevant, I don't think. Grey's platform will be a business and artistic decision, in the end.

They need to weigh up the advantages of massive DS install base/connection to current Black/White vs. potential to shift 3DS hardware.

Even if they were to release it on DS, they'd still have wanted the 3DS kits as soon as they could to begin planning and development for gen VI.

Suairyu

Banned
Okay serious question guys: would trading and battling between a 3DS game cart and a DS cart game running on a DS console be possible? Because seriously now if it isn't that's our answer right there.
if mk, monhun, etc can move to the 3ds, i'm not sure why pokemon cannot.
Of course Pokémon can and will. It's a question of if Grey will. That's not exactly directly comparable to Monster Hunter's brand new iteration moving over.

Unless you're trying to suggest Pokémon is going to Vita :O

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You could definitely do trades between DS and 3DS. Battling might be a different issue, though with all the problems people have with BW's online mode this might be for the better if they bring back auto level 100 and the option to get rid of preview.

7Th

>people actually hoping for the uglyass 3D models to replace the beautiful sprites

You guys seriously want THIS gone?

Lilligant_BW.gif

This thread makes me sick.

Gravijah

>people actually hoping for the uglyass 3D models to replace the beautiful sprites

http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/f/fb/Lilligant_BW.gif[IMG]

This thread makes me sick.[/QUOTE]

i don't want them gone but i have accepted that life is not fair.

Seeing as I've just joined Poke-GAF, I 'aint callin' a team to be on yet. What I want for the most part, anyway, are my R/S/E remakes!

Count me in on wanting to keep the sprites, though. I hope that they at least don't make the trainer portraits polygonal—that would be dull and boring, compared to their stylized Sugimori look.

survivor

Banned
I would like RSE remakes. I was too poor back then to buy a GBA to play them and when I got my DS, I hated going back to old Pokemon games. So a remake will probably get me to play them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I decided to replay Fire Red and Emerald starting last summer so I could have a base for rebreeding various third gen pokémon and using their exclusive move tutors. I also needed to play through XD and Colosseum to finish up the Pokédex and I gotta say out of all of those the Hoenn game was the hardest to replay.

Many of the "good" Hoenn Pokémon have terrible level up moves, the elite four doesn't level up at all and besides Drake are sort of a joke and some of the water routes are really terrible. Victory Road needs too many HM moves to navigate,

Suairyu

Banned
Seeing as I've just joined Poke-GAF, I 'aint callin' a team to be on yet. What I want for the most part, anyway, are my R/S/E remakes!

Dragoon if you don't pick a side then you can't be a member of PokéGAF.

Other debates you have to pick sides in:

Are Gen II Pokémon absolutely shit or not?

Which is the best [element] starter? You don't need to pick a side for grass.

When a game gets remade, which design of its various characters was superior?

I see you've already picked a side regarding whether or not R/S/E are terrible games so that's cool.

I take it that Boney and Andrex despise Gen 3, so that puts a gulf between me and them already!

Gen 3 is the last generation that really deserves a remake—for the time being. It was the grand divide between the old GB/GBC guard and the new kids who got onto Pokemon after the zenith of the Pokemon craze had passed us by (though the franchise has reached a similar level of popularity post-D/P, thankfully). And it was the moment that Satoshi Tajiri left his pet project to Junichi, which signaled for a lot of gradual changes in overworld design, dearth of new Pokemon designers, and thematicism in Pokemon games.

—That, and it deserves a rearranged soundtrack. Go Ichinose deserves to have full, total control over the new OST, so he can make it shine like no other.

Suariyu, I side with team 3DS. This is so I can feel trounced by Nintendo and GF's stupidity in choosing the DS again, should they do so.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
he doesn't like gen iii.

Clarify. Does that include the remakes? If so, then you are in the right. If not then he is in the right.

Fire Red and Leaf Green are incredible.

Playing Emerald and the two GCN games though made me realize just how important the Gen IV changes really were. You really feel it when you go back to those older games. Even simple stuff like Brick Break and Wing Attack being the best fighting and flying moves that you can usually get on most pokémon.

J@hranimo

Banned
I would be more ecstatic if he were to announce 3rd Gen remakes instead of Gray first, but I'm sure that's not going to happen.

Im hoping for Grey for the 3ds, but I also hope they push the boundaries of what we expect from the third version. Surprise people. That said, I would hate being stuck with 3d models.. Well, unless they perfected the art style and went cel shaded for a hand drawn look.

Kyurem is catchable in Black and White. What that poster made a reference to are these three:

qggMj.png
eg3vR.png
iZ4xJ.png

The first of these finally officially made its debut last week, when it was revealed to be in the upcoming 15th movie. It will probably be distributed when that movie releases in Japan.

However I don't agree with his basic premise that they all have to be revealed before Gray. Sinnoh's hidden legends like Arceus weren't before Platinum was released, iirc.

That's interesting. I have a theory that there are two teams in Game Freak, the main team and the remake team. Maybe he's actually working on the remakes right now while Gray is being finished up?

You know, I kinda hope they never acknowledge those other two. They are very....Meh. =P

Suairyu

Banned
The real question is what do they do remake-wise with Gen VII (because I assume R/S/E are going to be gen VI)? Remaking Diamond and Pearl seems a bit redundant. I'd be down for another remake of Red and Green so long as it didn't leave all of its new content for the post-game again.

Anth0ny

Lilligant_BW.gif

I agree. Beautiful sprites -> mediocre 3D models is going to be a jarring transition. Oh well.

and gen 3 fucking sucks

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm looking forward to the R/S remakes a lot, probably more than anyone here. They'll basically be like entirely new games for me and now that they hopefully include a lot of the stuff Gen 4 re-added after Gen 3 cut them out, I'll probably like them a lot more.

smr00

Banned

Lilligant_BW.gif

It's called progression, i am surprised it took this long if it does happen.

Salvadora

The real question is what do they do remake-wise with Gen VII (because I assume R/S/E are going to be gen VI)? Remaking Diamond and Pearl seems a bit redundant. I'd be down for another remake of Red and Green so long as it didn't leave all of its new content for the post-game again.

It would need huge amounts of new content. I find Kanto quite boring.
Edit: I'm sure that comes for playing the originals, Yellow and the remakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom