• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Company Achieves $3.3 Billion in Retail Revenue in 2016

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Pokemon Company, among many others, announced their 2016 results for brand licensing (retail sales) through License Global!. Not surprising, The Walt Disney Company placed first with $56.6 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide.

On the other hand, The Pokemon Company placed 19th with $3.3 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide (which includes the likes of TCG, video games, anime, VOD offerings, etc.)

Pokémon enjoyed an incredibly strong year at retail in 2016, which marked the brand’s 20th anniversary. The milestone, which recognized the first introduction of Pokémon video games 20 years ago, catapulted the perennially popular brand into the global spotlight and kicked off with the first-ever Pokémon Super Bowl commercial. The company also introduced the mobile game “Pokémon Go,” which became a global phenomenon and was downloaded 650 million times. Pokémon followed this success with “Pokémon Sun” and “Pokémon Moon” for the Nintendo 3DS, which became the third best-selling Nintendo 3DS titles of all time, adding to the 280 million Pokémon video games already sold.

Last year, The Pokemon Company placed 29th with $2.1 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide - thus, TPC had an $1.2 Billion increase in retail revenue and moved up ten positions comparatively to 2015 numbers.

pnAsrvs.gif

http://images2.advanstar.com/PixelMags/license-global/pdf/2017-04-top150.pdf

Village

Now how much money until they can create a machine to turn our reality into the pokemon reality.

On a more serious note, that's a lotta money. I hope they try to do more.. " unconventional " pokemon games like pokken

I knew Toei were big with Dragonball and OnePiece, but these guys made 2.5 billion in 2016? Fuck me Toriyama must be rich as fuck, no wonder he don't give a shit about Super being low quality shit and those Dragon Quest XI characters are lazy as fuck.

Whoever made Pokemon must be a billionaire as well, Jeebus.

Busaiku

That's actually less than I expected.
Honestly, I thought they were gonna double 2015.
There was so much Pokémon everywhere, I thought it'd be insanely huge.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was a wholly-owned entity that was legally separate for brand-management reasons, though i could be mistaken.

Oh, boy, not this one again. Someone find that comprehensive breakdown post!

Quonny

Now use that money to make a good game.

I'm just being edgy, but really, while Sun/Moon was a step in the right direction it was still boring.

That's actually less than I expected.
Honestly, I thought they were gonna double 2015.
There was so much Pokémon everywhere, I thought it'd be insanely huge.

This is retail revenue, so my understanding is that this doesn't include ANY of the massive amounts of Pokémon Go money, is that correct?

NeonZ

Maybe now they can afford to make a truly 3d Pokemon for the Switch

Sun & Moon pretty much was 3d already, just with a static camera, but the game didn't become a visual mess when the camera wasn't in a top down isometric view, unlike XY. The next step would likely be an open world Pokemon game, although I guess they might drag things on before ever going there.

Busaiku

This is retail revenue, so my understanding is that this doesn't include ANY of the massive amounts of Pokémon Go money, is that correct?
This would include Pokémon Go, but it would only be Pokémon's share, Niantic, Apple, and Google would not be in this $3.3 billion.

What's the overall sales comparison of Sun and Moon compared to the rest to the franchise at this point in their life? Did it arrest the very slow but noticeable decline in the franchise per generation?

EVIL

I don't recall Sun and Moon being 2D Pokemon games.

Sigh*, you know very well what he meant. Not a fixed camera RPG, albeit technically 3D, the game is still very much a 2D style RPG, but more to the likes of "legend of zelda: breath of the wild"

ReiGun

Pokemon-GO-worth-thousands.gif

It's crazy to think where this franchise is in 2017. I think even the kids who were into it back in the figured it'd be the kind of thing we'd dump aside and would be lost to time. Instead, it's a billion dollar IP still making boat loads of scratch from not only many of us who still follow it, but even our children who are into it now. Fucking mental.

JoeM86

The Pokemon Company, among many others, announced their 2016 results for brand licensing (retail sales) through License Global!. Not surprising, The Walt Disney Company placed first with $56.6 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide.

On the other hand, The Pokemon Company placed 19th with $3.3 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide (which includes the likes of TCG, video games, anime, VOD offerings, etc.)

Last year, The Pokemon Company placed 29th with $2.1 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide - thus, TPC had an $1.2 Billion increase in retail revenue and moved up ten positions comparatively to 2015 numbers.

pnAsrvs.gif

http://images2.advanstar.com/PixelMags/license-global/pdf/2017-04-top150.pdf

This really is a hell of an increase. That's over 50%. Incredible.

Top Bottom