• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Pretty much embarrassed to be known as English at this point, time to cash in my Irish heritage.

Can only see this getting a hell of of alot worse before it gets any better.
I would also like to have a vote for "if you voted and then changed your mind the next day, you get a kick in the fucking head for being a stupid bastard"

Bring back the monarchy, the great unwashed cant be trusted with this kind of shit

The monarchy has no role in modern day Britain, imo.

Syder

BLvkHbg.gif

yjfkmo.gif
16%2B-%2B1

Stuart444

So here's a question.

How long until the prime minister that replaces Cameron gets ousted as well?

After the fallout from triggering Article 50/leaving the EU? Or maybe because he didn't trigger it? It's a thought, I just can't see whoever replaces Cameron lasting that long.

Hasney

So here's a question.

After the fallout from triggering Article 50/leaving the EU? Or maybe because he didn't trigger it? It's a thought, I just can't see whoever replaces Cameron lasting that long.

The rest of the current term. It'd be hard for them to stay anyway, much like Gordon Brown, but this clusterfuck on top means surely someone else would be elected. Labour just have to sort themselves out.

KingBroly

Banned
So here's a question.

A year, probably. Things are going to be very heated.

I don't think the EU is going to fuck us at negotiation. WE fucked ourselves already by giving up the sweetest of deals among core EU member states.

Let's say hypothetically/miraculously the Brexit is overturned, would we still keep Cameron's pre-referendum negotiated terms? I guess that's a pipe dream?

The rest of the current term. It'd be hard for them to stay anyway, much like Gordon Brown, but this clusterfuck on top means surely someone else would be elected. Labour just have to sort themselves out.

If Corbyn goes and they can elect someone who lives in the real world and not noddyland, Labour could romp it in 2020 given the economic damage incoming.

Hazzuh

Let's say hypothetically/miraculously the Brexit is overturned, would we still keep Cameron's pre-referendum negotiated terms? I guess that's a pipe dream?

If we simply invoke article 50 and then delay our withdrawal indefinitely (ie don't leave) then I think all the existing deals would remain. The European Council could do this.

My god this post

The Sun said:
The BBC has joined the campaign with a series of alarming headlines about racist attacks in the wake of the Brexit vote.

And Radio 5 Live’s Victoria Derbyshire yesterday asked listeners to describe the impact they have felt on their lives and businesses after the referendum — mostly adverse.

The Sun’s Rod Liddle, a former BBC editor, wants viewers to report evidence of BBC bias.

“Last night it ran a report from its idiotic northern correspondent, Ed Thomas, which attempted to suggest the Leave campaign was responsible for nasty things being said to immigrants,” Rod wrote in The Spectator.

“Thomas is an appallingly partisan correspondent and presumably has his job because he is the only person in the BBC with a vaguely northern accent. He chose to interview two Neanderthals.”

They're trying to say that there's a media bias against Leave and that people in the camp are not being shitebags to immigrants? You know the problem? The ordinary bloke gets the 10p newspaper Sun and that's all they read. It's gutter level journalism, not even a tabloid but because the cost of entry is so low it's "the truth"

Hasney

If Corbyn goes and they can elect someone who lives in the real world and not noddyland, Labour could romp it in 2020 given the economic damage incoming.

They could, but it's just a huge fucking unknown. UKIP could rise, Lib Dems could take some seats, especially the London ones where they want to be in the EU at all costs and any Labour leader won't be that hardline... It's going to be a fun watch.

SuperSah

Banned
I'd say whoever's next in line for PM after Cameron are basically heading out to fail.

They'll be doomed with all this to manage - no way they'd last that long at all.

BahamutPT

My ideal UK deal would be the following:

1) Access to single market
2) Ability to make our own laws and not be bound by EU at all
3) Contribute in all major debates and decisions
4) KICK THEM IMMIGRANTS OUT
5) Free movement? Forget that

You forgot

6) Getting them funding programmes

My god this post

They're trying to say that there's a media bias against Leave and that people in the camp are not being shitebags to immigrants? You know the problem? The ordinary bloke gets the 10p newspaper Sun and that's all they read. It's gutter level journalism, not even a tabloid but because the cost of entry is so low it's "the truth"

No wonder the scum circulation is plummeting. Total lack of any humanity, dirty racist pigs, trying to claim all the abuse is made up. Paper should be shut down like it's sister paper was.

So here's a question.

Our three most recent Prime Ministers have technically been ousted.

1) Blair left
2) Brown was PM for a short ass time - never got a full term
3) Cameron fucked himself
4) the next PM is running on cheap alkaline batteries
5) we are officially entering 24 territory where prime ministers and opposition leaders are stepping over one another.

Corto

So here's a question.

Don't know how the uk political system works in terms of confidence motions or if there is a grace period for a new government. But I also think that the PM that triggers article 50 is doomed to a short stay in office. David Cameron ensure that.

Hasney

Our three most recent Prime Ministers have technically been ousted.

1) Blair left
2) Brown was PM for a short ass time - never got a full term
3) Cameron fucked himself
4) the next PM is running on cheap alkaline batteries
5) we are officially entering 24 territory where prime ministers and opposition leaders are stepping over one another.

1 contradicts 4. 2 is already the case. 3 also contradicts 4. 5 can't be guaranteed.

A question from an American here:

Can the EU force the issue and vote the UK out should they drag their feet on leaving? As things stand now, it seems like the UK's inaction is pretty much holding the the rest of the EU hostage in terms of taking any meaningful action to solidify the rest of the union.

I now that the EU would rather keep the UK in the fold, but if they're really planning on doing nothing in the foreseeable future, I think it'd be in the EU's best interest to just bite the bullet and deal with the mess as soon as possible.

LilJoka

Can the EU force the issue and vote the UK out should they drag their feet on leaving? As things stand now, it seems like the UK's inaction is pretty much holding the the rest of the EU hostage in terms of taking any meaningful action to solidify the rest of the union.

I now that the EU would rather keep the UK in the fold, but if they're really planning on doing nothing in the foreseeable future, I think it'd be in the EU's best interest to just bite the bullet and deal with the mess as soon as possible.

Don't beleive that's possible since our vote is not even legally binding in the UK.

Hasney

Nope, they are looking at legal ways to say we invoked Article 50 when we didn't though. There was a rumor that if Cameron even mention Brexit to the EU, it would be taken as him invoking article 50.

I think they're going to wait until we have a new PM. After that, they'll at least try something.

If the UK stalls for too long I can see an appeal to the European Courts if the referendum counts as a "notification".

BahamutPT

Member States can't be expelled.

Edit: But look above to see how the EU can try and weasel their way out of this uncertainty by saying the UK may have already notified them about their withdrawal.

SuperSah

Banned

As it stands, as analysed by industry leading lawyers and the like, the EU has no authority to vote/kick the UK out of the EU at this time by triggering Article 50.

It's down to us to explicitly trigger it. Until then, the EU will mostly pressure us as a country but very little more.

ShogunX

No wonder the scum circulation is plummeting. Total lack of any humanity, dirty racist pigs, trying to claim all the abuse is made up. Paper should be shut down like it's sister paper was.

Us up here in Merseyside have been telling people this for years. Anybody seen reading it locally generally gets a pretty disgusting look. I often cover up The Sun with other newspapers when I go in to the shop just to piss off anybody thinking of buying it.

It's a paper that appeals to the thick headed morons of the country who want their news spoon fed to them. It's pretty much babies first newspaper.

Hazzuh

Article 50 is the only legal method for a country leaving the EU:

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.

None of the European bodies have the authority to make a country leave.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How have the markets reacted? Badly. They crashed pretty hard all over the world, but especially the FTSE 250. Sterling against the USD is around £1.30 to the $. The markets did recover on the day of posting, but no-ones quite sure if it's a dead cat bounce or if the markets are slightly improving as key politicians seem to favour the EEA.

So while I wrap my head around this Thick of It episode, what are the options the EU and the UK have?
  1. Ignore the vote and stay in the EU

Well done OP. Two minor corrections/clarifications

- £1.30 to the $ => should be $1.30 to the £
- Ignore the vote and stay in the EU => should mention that this is with worse terms than pre-referendum, as Cameron's special terms are now off the table

Spaghetti

The Sun is the absolute worst. It's a gossip rag with a heavy right wing authoritarian bent pretending to be a newspaper.

No idea. Unlikely. We've backed ourselves into the tightest of corners.

They already got cancelled by the EU on friday.
The deal was pretty much that Cameron guaranteed the EU that referendum would end up with a remain vote, in exchange he'd get the additional concessions he negotiated. Obviously the deal is dead now.

Hasney

Well done OP. Two minor corrections/clarifications

- £1.30 to the $ => should be $1.30 to the £
- Ignore the vote and stay in the EU => should mention that this is with worse terms than pre-referendum, as Cameron's special terms are now off the table

Good points well made.

1. Ignore the vote and stay in the EU with a deal that we have now, none of Camerons "special promises" (the EU ones, not the ones he told to piglet) involved

PJV3

That Sun article is odd, why are they hyping things up to be a done deal?
People are going to end up swinging from lampposts, it's crazy even by Murdoch standards.

SuperSah

Banned
They already got cancelled by the EU on friday.
The deal was pretty much that Cameron guaranteed the EU that referendum would end up with a remain vote, in exchange he'd get the additional concessions he negotiated. Obviously the deal is dead now.

That was actually a deal?

Ouch..

Found out my two sisters voted leave. I can really understand why more than anything they wanted to believe the lies they were told...

...though that doesn't stop them being idiots. The saddest part is that they're both going to be part of the first groups to get fucked over by that decision.

That was actually a deal?

Ouch..
Yup.
Cameron was pretty much spinning it as "listen up folks, right now it's uncertain how the referendum will end, but if you give me more concessions it will DEFINITELY be a remain vote!", the EU grudgingly agreed and decided to make more concessions to be implemented after the referendum if the UK votes to remain.
Cameron failed to deliver on his promise, so the EU sure as heck won't shove even more concessions and exemptions up his butt, the UK already got way too many anyway in the mind of most member states (who don't have nearly as favorable conditions like nice instant rebates).

Stuart444

How did the UK end up with a better deal originally than most other members? Sorry if that seems ignorant, I'm just curious.

Thanks for clearing up the Cameron deal question. I remember thinking the deal was disappointing when he first announced it, but anything would be better than this current situation. Don't know how good you have it until it's gone!

How did the UK end up with a better deal originally than most other members? Sorry if that seems ignorant, I'm just curious.

Multiple reason dating back to Thatcher IIRC. I think as a tentpole country of the EU adding to it's overall worth we could throw our weight around a bit

Biggzy

Because we have always been Eurosceptic and the outsider, so the EU has tried to accommodate us - it helps that we are one of its biggest members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom