• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSNBC: If your kid plays HALO make sure he doesnt have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash27

Here we go....

Chuck Todd on Hardball:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chuck-to...ers-make-sure-your-kid-doesnt-have-a-problem/

“If your kid, for three hours, is disappearing in the basement doing nothing but playing Halo, you may want to make sure your kid doesn’t have a problem,” Todd concluded.

“Well said,” Matthews added.

Halo of all things. This is the problem with legislating on rare and highly emotional cases. 9/11 and the Patriot Act, Homeland Security are two examples.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes, Halo is the one to make you go crazy. You'll bust out your door and look for the nearest space alien to shoot!

Come on media, seriously. Those guns don't even exist. Now if your kid is trying to form plasma weapons in the garage, the you should be worried.

V_Arnold

"If you cant take the energy and time to check out what your kid's favorite hobby really is about, then make sure you do not have a problem".

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you fail as a parent for putting the TV and an Xbox in the basement, instead of a bedroom or the living room like any sane human being.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, it's more of a problem if you keep Needlers and DMRs in your house and let your kid shoot them.

TheOddOne

I don't think it's a too controversial stance to take to be honest. All he was advocating, that is the impression I get in the video at least, was that parents should keep a watchful eye on what their kids are playing.

Volimar

My mother wants to go through all her grandkids' toys to get rid of any realistic looking toy weapons (we don't have any) and doesn't want my kid playing army games (he's 12 so I don't let him) or watch me play violent games (er...okay he's seen me play Gears of War...). Yeah this shooting and all the coverage has sent her over the edge.

Well, it's more of a problem if you keep Needlers and DMRs in your house and let your kid shoot them.

Needlers in the home is the number one cause of loss of security deposit.

I don't think it's a too controversial stance to take to be honest. All he was advocating, that is the impression I get in the video at least, was that parents should keep a watchful eye on what their kids are playing.

I agree. Parents should be involved. Halo is a little too sci fi to really be a threat, but yeah keep an eye on your kids, and maybe keep the violent realism games away from them till they're mature enough to handle it. But it did give off a "video games make you want to kill people" vibe.

Killer had a semi automatic assault rifle, 30 round clips, live fire weapons training, and a history of being a loner and likely mental issues.

But it was films and video games that did it. Children having access to unsuitable games and how much they play is a parenting issue, and remains a subjective one.

Yup, parents should watch out that their kid doensn't hijack a banshee and spray plasma shots aided by a fuel rod bomb onto people. Cops won't be able to make a difference because of his Hardlight Shield and Special Forces won't be able to sneak up on your kid because he'll use Promethean Vision and wait for them around corners with a charged up boltshot.

LordCanti

Everyone always needs a scapegoat. I'd prefer that they all focus their attention on getting gun control legislation passed, and leave entertainment alone.

It's easier to blame video games than it is to place blame on themselves for turning every mass murderer into a celebrity through constant news coverage.

Maybe you fail as a parent for putting the TV and an Xbox in the basement, instead of a bedroom or the living room like any sane human being.

What if your basement is finished and there are bedrooms down there?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Yeah. Isn't this what we all have been ranting about? That we adults don't need to be managed with censorship or stricter enforcement of game ratings and that parents should parent their kid? If a parent isn't keeping an eye on what their kid is playing for 3 hours a day (in this example) that's a bad thing.

Volimar

Isn't it so easy to tell people to get rid of the things that they aren't involved in anyway? "I don't get why these kids like these games so much. It must be doing something to their brains..."

doesn't matter... every foot below ground increases the odds of spree killing 20%

Shit, I gotta get my kid outta our bunker!

LordCanti

doesn't matter... every foot below ground increases the odds of spree killing 20%

What if it's a walk out basement and only partially underground? Does the percentage go up the further you walk away from the door leading to the outside?

These are things we need to know. I used to play Halo 2 in my parents finished basement (in my room).

I listened to the segment.

I don't know how to feel about it.

It doesn't seem that he's blaming Halo or the game exclusively. It seems like he's telling parents to be more involved.

I don't know.

What more can be done besides the ratings system and the restriction of sale of minors.

I would presume that the majority of the kids that play violent games are doing it because their parents bought said games... same with movies and media. You can't legislate bad parenting, more so when said parents are not involved in making sure their kids understand what they see and play.

PEOPLE PLAY VIDEO GAMES IN THE BASEMENT GUYS

THE BASEMENT

obligatory

superghettovm9.jpg

Dash27

Yeah. Isn't this what we all have been ranting about? That we adults don't need to be managed with censorship or stricter enforcement of game ratings and that parents should parent their kid? If a parent isn't keeping an eye on what their kid is playing for 3 hours a day (in this example) that's a bad thing.

The difference is though it doesnt matter what he's doing for 3 hours in a basement the parent should be parenting and talking to the kid. But none of that is relevant to these mass shootings. It's not like kids are happy and normal but then when they recede to the dark depths of the basement their bloodlust is stoked and eventually released by Master Chief.

WJD

If my kid was sat in my basement (I don't have a kid or a basement) playing Halo over something like COD I'd be proud of his superior taste, not worried.

smr00

Banned
According to the news i am a ticking time tomb.

I was anti-social growing up and still am somewhat anti-social.
I play violet video games
I watch horribly violent movies
I have no faith/religion
I am on medication for ADD and was on medicine for depression

To top it off? I have multiple semi-automatic rifles, a few hunting rifles and a couple of pistols and a 12 gauge. Oh, and to the super religious people i guess i am also dangerous because i am gay.

But you know what? I am one of the most calm and chilled out person you will ever meet and i never in my life wished harm on anyone. When i was a teenager i was almost beaten to death by a bunch of jocks because i was gay and not for one second did i ever wish harm on them or wanted revenge, i felt sorry for them. Those same people did it again when my parents were out of town, they broke into my house and i could shoot them because our state has a stand your ground law but did i? No, because i don't want to harm anyone. Who am i to take a life? These things don't make people kill people, it's fucking sociopath unstable lunatics that kill people.

hym

Banned
Here's a wild thought, if you take away the right to play games from people with problems you are going to provoke more violence than the hypothetical cases in which playing games contributed to violence.

Volimar

I have no faith/religion

To top it off? I have multiple semi-automatic rifles, a few hunting rifles and a couple of pistols and a 12 gauge. Oh, and to the super religious people i guess i am also dangerous because i am gay.

But you know what? I am one of the most calm and chilled out person you will ever meet and i never in my life wished harm on anyone. When i was a teenager i was almost beaten to death by a bunch of jocks because i was gay and not for one second did i ever wish harm on them or wanted revenge, i felt sorry for them. Those same people did it again when my parents were out of town, they broke into my house and i could shot one but did i? No, because i would never want to harm anyone. I care too much about human life to just snatch it away.

He seemed pretty nice. Kind of a loner.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The difference is though it doesnt matter what he's doing for 3 hours in a basement the parent should be parenting and talking to the kid. But none of that is relevant to these mass shootings. It's not like kids are happy and normal but then when they recede to the dark depths of the basement their bloodlust is stoked and eventually released by Master Chief.

Keeping an eye on your kid's behavior is absolutely relevant to the discussion about school shootings. It's one piece of it, not the entirety of the discussion.

I have no faith/religion

But you know what? I am one of the most calm and chilled out person you will ever meet and i never in my life wished harm on anyone. When i was a teenager i was almost beaten to death by a bunch of jocks because i was gay and not for one second did i ever wish harm on them or wanted revenge, i felt sorry for them. Those same people did it again when my parents were out of town, they broke into my house and i could shot one but did i? No, because i would never want to harm anyone. I care too much about human life to just snatch it away.

That's your situation and as a society we appreciate that you abide to a set of standards that respect life. The same way that we don't like to generalize regarding the bad, we can't also do it with the good.

All cases are different, there's no set pattern.

smr00

Banned
That's your situation and as a society we appreciate that you abide to a set of standards that respect life. The same way that we don't like to generalize regarding the bad, we can't also do it with the good.

All cases are different, there's no set pattern.
Which is why i don't understand why the news keeps saying it's people on medication! it's people who play games!

They are absurd assumptions.

He seemed pretty nice. Kind of a loner.
Can you at least add "he was a handsome young man" ?

I would appreciate it.

LakeEarth

I played Mortal Kombat when I was 8. Now I'm constantly tempted to ripping off my face and shooting flames from my magic skull mouth. Thanks videogames.

Seanspeed

Banned

I have no faith/religion

You're a conservative Christian's nightmare! lol

Also, I always played video games in the living room. My parents didn't mind me playing them, but I also couldn't go tuck away in my room by myself doing it for hours on end. I kinda like that approach and think I'd do the same when I have a kid.

LordCanti

I played Mortal Kombat when I was 8. Now I'm constantly tempted to ripping off my face and shooting flames from my magic skull mouth. Thanks videogames.

I played Katamari Damacy in my basement once and became a genocidal maniac. Now I rule North Korea with an iron fist and everyone hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom