• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: The Phantom Pain will be 300 times bigger than Ground Zeroes

Just read this, posted from the demo thread, holy fuck. Thought it's worth it to post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83289057&postcount=340

Kojima's TGS interviews are really weird...

he is very vague on whether GZ will be a separated game from TPP. He sounds like it will be included in TPP but not sure...

Also, GZ is not that big (the area) and there won't have a 24 hour cycle in GZ.(meaning the main mission we saw taking place at night will only be at night).

He mentions the size of GZ map is around 1/300 of TPP.

I wonder when they will upload the gameplay video.

This isn't very surprising. Ground Zeroes is effectively the Virtuous Mission of MGS5. This is why things like the Fulton Recovery system aren't in GZ.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't understand the difference between MGSV, GZ, and TPP. What's what? It's all rather confusing.

MGSV:TPP is the main game and will also include the new MGO as the multiplayer component.

MGS:GZ is some other game that might be included with MGSV or sold as a separate game. They haven't been clear on this.

There's apparently some digital MGS game in existence for this fiscal year. I'm increasingly wondering if it's MGS:GZ or if they have a third/fourth product.

collige

Banned
I don't understand the difference between MGSV, GZ, and TPP. What's what? It's all rather confusing.

MGSV is TPP. My understanding is that GZ is the intro section of that game similar to the tanker section of MGS2. Maybe it's its own release though, but Konami hasn't talked about distribution.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm more interested in how this will look on current gen...sounds absolutely massive.

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes_la_04.jpg

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes_la_05.jpg

Well, I think it's obvious. Ground Zeroes is linear, TPP is open-world. Makes sense.
We don't know exactly how big Ground Zeroes is though, but it's not linear... Is it literally just the island with the base on it as seen in the demo? I imagine it's larger than that, unless Konami plans to sell a one mission prologue as a standalone lol...

SJRB

Gold Member
I still find it hard to care about any of this without a release date to look forward to. I mean, it could release in two months but it could just as well take another 2 years.

SkylineRKR

GZ isn't linear, but I think we've seen it. Its the one extraction mission at Camp Omega. You can probably beat it within 20 minutes or so, but do it different each time. Its like someone said, probably something like the Virtuous Mission. Snake Eater was maybe 50 times bigger, but TPP being 300 times bigger than GZ might be a stretch after all.

And no I don't think its stand alone. Perhaps it will be sold as some sort of a prologue which might make sense, the MGS2 demo sold a lot of ZoE copies after all.

Desmond

I'm starting to think Ground Zeroes will be released, but an improved version (time cycle, Fulton, whatever ) will also be released as part off MGSV:TPP as the prologue. Perhaps this Complete MGSV package will be next gen exclusive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks dude, I was referring to TPP on current gen though. I imagine world detail must be extremely lacking compared to the next gen version.

I kind of imagine it will look the same since both are open world and presumably have to load the same amount of area in memory at a given time.

Total size shouldn't really effect that as much as the amount of area visible at a given time.

Assault

In the TGS gameplay videos, you can see that each mission has its own name.

The mission at night which we've seen is called Ground Zeroes. My guess is that they will release that mission on its own, sort of like Case Zero (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread)

Pachinko

Secret mystery solved - Ground Zeroes is a (probable) 10 $ download title coming to xbox 360, ps3, xbox one, ps4 sometime in 2014. It is essentially the first chapter of MGSV by itself.

Phantom Pain is the main game , like chapter 2-8 of MGSV and at some point it was planned to come to both current and next gen systems I feel like the current gen versions will get scrapped and it will be a next gen only game. It also won't be out until 2015, maybe summer ?

Also, someone above hit the nail on the head I think, Kojima won't be making the next MGS because it'll be MGRising 2 also a next gen exclusive coming 2016.

Eventually there will be a Metal Gear Solid 6 though, and Kojima will do it.

Metal Gear Solid 5 and The Phantom Pain are the same thing, since TPP is the subtitle for MGS5. Ground Zeroes is a bit more tricky to identify. It seems to be a paid expanded-demo/prologue that leads into MGS5:TPP. I guess the closest comparison would be Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, which was a paid demo/prologue that exclusively covered a bite-sized part of the story in a smaller town, and it was released shortly before the actual Dead Rising 2.

Presumably, Ground Zeroes will have MGS5's open-world gameplay in a different, smaller area, and it will be a short story that ends with Big Boss falling into the coma that he starts off MGS5 with.

Endo Punk

Just how small does that make GZ, is it only an hour worth of gameplay? I'm just going to skip it and purchase TPP. I'm sure that will have GZ integrated into it as well, like Virtuous Mission and Snake Eater.

driver116

This sounds like TPP will be the main campaign and GZ will be a seperate mode like Contracts on Hitman Absolution (poor association I know)

BadWolf

Just how small does that make GZ, is it only an hour worth of gameplay? I'm just going to skip it and purchase TPP. I'm sure that will have GZ integrated into it as well, like Virtuous Mission and Snake Eater.

They are not referring to game length, they are speaking about the size of the map.

SkylineRKR

I think the full version will have GZ also, otherwise non-digital buyers will feel very estranged with TTP. The events that happen during and after GZ seem to be crucial.

But you can opt to buy GZ and play a piece of MGSV much earlier, perhaps do some speed runs and leaderboard stuff. Its a meaty demo you have to pay for.

This is all speculation ofcourse.

BadWolf

I think the full version will have GZ also, otherwise non-digital buyers will feel very estranged with TTP. The events that happen during and after GZ seem to be crucial.

But you can opt to buy GZ and play a piece of MGSV much earlier, perhaps do some speed runs and leaderboard stuff. Its a meaty demo you have to pay for.

This is all speculation ofcourse.

GZ's sales would suffer so I can't see that happening.

I could see a 'Substance' version coming later though with both in there and some extras.

And GZ has its own setting and story so its not a demo.

Soma

So basically,

GZ = The Tanker from MGS2
TPP = Big Shell from MGS2

Sounds good to me. If Kojima's insane attention to detail is still present in this game then I can see myself wasting hours finding new interesting things in Ground Zeroes alone. Thinking how that compares to The Phantom Pain really excites me.

Timeaisis

We don't know exactly how big Ground Zeroes is though, but it's not linear... Is it literally just the island with the base on it as seen in the demo? I imagine it's larger than that, unless Konami plans to sell a one mission prologue as a standalone lol...

Is it confirmed that they are going to be sold separately? I was under the impression that GZ was just the prologue of TPP, a la Tanker in MGS2 and Virtuous mission in MGS3

Is it confirmed that they are going to be sold separately? I was under the impression that GZ was just the prologue of TPP, a la Tanker in MGS2 and Virtuous mission in MGS3
It wasn't confirmed, but Kojima said he's thinking about it. But yes, it's a prologue.

Top Bottom