• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Messi

That thing would go for thousands. I have no doubt someone out there would fork out $20k for that.

Those words take me back to Evangelion.

It was a trade-off. The paper quality has changed to be worse for reading, but better for giving paper cuts. Rebellion was the goal all along.

Don't forget to grab the free Raven DLC that came out a couple weeks back.

WAAAAAAAAAY more than 20k

Messi

You're probably not wrong. If there are people out there willing to pay $20k for a life-size anime girl figure, this would probably go for more.

Jim Lee Harley covers have been 4-6k and those are just regular covers not X-Men #1. I'd say this cover goes for frank miller money.

Inhumans Prime #1
I really liked this. Good in closure and set-up. Art was okay, but it felt consistent, and that's important with issues like this. I'm really excited for continuing this storyline after having invested so much time (and dollars) into the whole Inhumans storyline. Also I know nothing of
Marvel Boy
, so this should be good.

X-Men Prime #1
Not as cohesive as Inhumans, but it did the job. The Weapon X story is weird, so that will be interesting. I did like how Kitty was basically pulling a Cyclops in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Beyond all of that it was okay. Nothing spectacular, and quite honestly very little intriguing set-up. Very vague. One question:
On the page with the creative teams listed, there's an image of some X-Men. Why is Archangel wearing Magneto's helmet? Or is that an artist quirk?

Infamous Iron Man #6
Cool issue. Cool fight. Doom's a prick and
the Maker's WHISPER project from New Avengers worked

Old Man Logan #20
DICK MOVE. Oh well. Hopefully Andrade's off the book after this. His art is nice for really visceral action, but other than that I'm not a fan. I do love this book still.

Justice League of America #3
Really curious as to who Havok is at this point.
Because I don't remember him having that shield, and that looks like a Captain America knockoff.
still enjoying this book, but my interest in this arc is waning.

Sandfox

Inhumans Prime #1
I really liked this. Good in closure and set-up. Art was okay, but it felt consistent, and that's important with issues like this. I'm really excited for continuing this storyline after having invested so much time (and dollars) into the whole Inhumans storyline. Also I know nothing of
Marvel Boy

X-Men Prime #1
Not as cohesive as Inhumans, but it did the job. The Weapon X story is weird, so that will be interesting. I did like how Kitty was basically pulling a Cyclops in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Beyond all of that it was okay. Nothing spectacular, and quite honestly very little intriguing set-up. Very vague. One question:
On the page with the creative teams listed, there's an image of some X-Men. Why is Archangel wearing Magneto's helmet? Or is that an artist quirk?

Infamous Iron Man #6

Old Man Logan #20
DICK MOVE. Oh well. Hopefully Andrade's off the book after this. His art is nice for really visceral action, but other than that I'm not a fan. I do love this book still.

Because I don't remember him having that shield, and that looks like a Captain America knockoff.

I posted this in the other thread, but I think X-Men Prime should have just gone with one writer like Inhumans Prime to address the things you mentioned.

I finally got tired of individually ordering issues off of Amazon and just subscribed to the series I follow on Comixology. I'm not sure why we have to buy from Amazon to get Kindle versions of our issues anyway when they own both companies.

FWIW, I really enjoyed the Ghost in the Shell* movie. Sure, it is missing a lot of the nuance and context of the original but it was still fun and looked great visually. (It also got me more hyped for Cyberpunk 2077).

*I've only seen the first movie and the first series.

Just read Batman #9-13, aka I Am Suicide. Extremely interesting stuff handled in an exceedingly odd fashion. The plotting was excellent. The moment-to-to-moment writing was superb (barring where King's fondness for ironic echo and symbolic repetition became excessive in spots). There was some gorgeous art and some really inventive paneling (don't post the pipes, that's the worst example of the effect). But... not much actually happened. This is almost like a dream arc that took place entirely outside of the character's heads. They got back Psycho Pirate in a 2 day plan that was so elegant it barely seemed to exist at all, which don't get me wrong is pretty damn cool, but it does mean that the heavy lifting is relegated to stuff like Bruce and Selina's letters to each other (which I LOVED btw).

All in all this is one I'm gonna have to chew on for a while. The stuff it says about Batman and Catwoman's characters is...

I'm gonna have to chew on it lol.

No I?

MESS

What you did there, I see it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You guys werent wrong went you said that Civil War 2 implodes in the last two issues. Its so LOL.

And yikes, nobody acts in character and sounds way of.

Edit: Damn, what the hell is wrong with Tony Stark in this. Sounds he as hilarious in his Ongoing, too? Thank good he is dead.

well there's more to chew on with #14 and #15

14 was goooooooood. This is kind of redefining how I think about Bruce and Selina's relationship, usually it's a much more typical "serious guy and flighty girl" sorta dynamic, but this is presenting them as being... almost too broken to be with anybody not as messed up as they are.

Sandfox

You guys werent wrong went you said that Civil War 2 implodes in the last two issues. Its so LOL.

And yikes, nobody acts in character and sounds way of.

Edit: Damn, what the hell is wrong with Tony Stark in this. Sounds he as hilarious in his Ongoing, too? Thank good he is dead.

I recommend reading the Steve Rogers tie-ins because it explains some things.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What the fucking shit is with the dialouges in thissss. Its so bad.

And what was this bullshit with the marketing that showed that its again Steve Vs Tony at somepoint and Peter Parker is involved and Jessica Jones and Matt Murdoch would be fighting alongside Tony. They never showed up in this book

Mafro

Catching up on Thanos and I think it's slowly becoming my favourite Marvel comic just now.

Finished Unworthy Thor. That last issue was a whole lot of nothing.

Batman #14-15, aka Rooftops: This... this was goooooood. The dueling "first meetings" is really interesting, and I'm curious to see where that goes; could be Button type stuff, could be Selina being her usual unreliable narrator self, could be that she met him before he met her somehow. I expect that'll get expanded on somewhere down the line. Wasn't at all shocked to see how the 237 murders thing went down, but it was good to get that whole thing sorted out, and it adds a lot to Catwoman's letter in I am Suicide. Art was great too.

I mean the new series, not trades. Thanks for the tip on Roughneck.

My bad ha, I don't follow the monthly as stuff as closely, but pretty sure Royal City has kicked off as of last month, if that's the one you mean?

Ended up with the whole evening free so just blasted through vol 1 and 2 of Deadly Class Reread, gonna get started on vol 3 as well so I can enjoy some new material tomorrow. Such a good series, the whole creative team at the top of their game. Loughridge's coloring astounds me.

Owzers

Are you guys spoiling Marvel continuity now, the only reason to read comics? I'm assuming everyone is alive until I read otherwise on MU.

Phamit

Amazon.de says a Detective & Green Arrow Rebirth Deluxe are coming out...in November and October .... yay

I hope these are only placeholder dates, but It's DC so they might be true

Sandfox

Amazon.de says a Detective & Green Arrow Rebirth Deluxe are coming out...in November and October .... yay

Those books will be like 37 issues in at that point so good luck lol.

Ross61

Almost absolutely placeholders.
Inhumans Prime #1
Marvel Boy

X-Men Prime #1

Infamous Iron Man #6

Old Man Logan #20

Good news for you since it ends next issue and Reis is back.

Batman #16-19, aka I am Bane: I cannot WAIT for the last chapter of this. Shit is impressive. King's basically inverted the usual Knightfall-retread dynamic, which is pretty fun, but the writing brings it to a whole 'nother level. Art has been damn solid the whole time too.

Especially impressive moments include the entire Bat Burger sequence, which was hilarious, Maxie Zeus' performances, the entire Scarecrow sequence, and the page where Bane has to go grab Riddler to get through the door.

My only real sticking point is from #16, which is pretty small... they really should've shown us the Bat-Boys' confrontation with Bane. Just having them show up in the cave after the fact felt like gratuitous shock value stuff. Although I did like the reversal with Selina later. King's devotion to the Ironic Echo can grate at times but it gave us a wonderful visual gag this go 'round. Also very curious about the War of Jokes and Riddles, despite the references to it becoming way, waaaaay too overt. Foreshadowing is supposed to be subtle bro, meta-foreshadowing doubly so.

Zombine

Banned
We can't gauge artist popularity anymore. We legit have no idea what the people think. The only guys that are moving books for sure are artists like Land and Coipel.

Vic_Viper

Speaking of the Wildstorm 25th book, what is this from:

Brass-DAnda.jpeg

Finished rereading Deadly Class, nothing beats that ending to #16:
Kill the rats.
Vol. 4 tomorrow!

Edit: I lied, had to keep going and read vol 4. Damn, brilliant volume. My only complaint is the colourist change. I can't exactly quantify what it is but I know Boyd replaced Loughridge and there is definitely an off feel from time to time where the result of the art isn't exactly what I've come to expect. I noticed the visual change first before I went and checked, and realised the colorist had changed.

Messi

If you are waiting for OHCs of Rebirth books then you have to come to terms with the fact that you are never going to catch up. There is no way for DC to release these OHCs that allow you to catch up and not destroy their sales of trades and a lesser extent floppies.

Those OHC dates came from that catalog and its usually fairly accurate when it comes to release dates.

I am so glad they are doing OHCs for so many series though.

Top Bottom