• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

AniHawk

NIS has many games published with target a specific niche Japanese audience. They don't develop everything with West in mind. Disgaea must be the only franchise that does some respectable numbers worldwide and even that saw a decline at every region with 5. If it wasn't the late Switch port to recover lost western sales there would be a big drop comparing to 3 and 4.

because of the switch version, it's probably going to be the second best selling game in the series behind disgaea 1 thanks to that game's many iterations.

and because of the switch version, the platforms you're going to see from nis and nisa are ps4, switch and pc/steam.

I'd think it's more likely for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle to be coming to Switch.

I doubt it's going to be an Extend version of Central Fiction when they said there isn't going to be one, unless there's a bait and switch.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/blazblue-creator-next-title-completely-new-not-fighting-game

The Famitsu article is from October of last year, EVO would have been the perfect time to announce an Extend version, instead it was DLC for Jubei as highlighted in the article which is a highly demanded character.

Edit: and going back to the article here from red bull:

It feels unlikely that there would be an Extend version of Central Fiction because:

- The story for the main character has ended.
- The creator of the series is now working on a new game that isn't a fighting game
- Their big announcements at EVO were Jubei as DLC for Central Fiction and the announcement of BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

When ASW didn't specify what BlazBlue title would be coming to Switch back in January, I think it becomes very likely it will be the new title and not Central Fiction, otherwise... They could have announced it already?
Does BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle remind anyone else of Soul Calibur Legends on Wii? Just reading the description of the title gave me flashbacks to that ill fated title.

ggx2ac

Does BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle remind anyone else of Soul Calibur Legends on Wii? Just reading the description of the title gave me flashbacks to that ill fated title.

No?

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom but reusing characters from three different games they already made and are including a new franchise to the roster.

It's still a fighting game and will most likely not be platform exclusive.

Whereas Soul Calibur Legends was more like an action brawler than a fighting game?

If this was Guilty Gear Dust Strikers for Nintendo DS you'd have a point.

DKHF

PREDICTION LEAGUE DRAGON QUEST XI EDITION

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 110,493
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 75,591
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 890,376
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1,081,489

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

01./00. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
04./00. [3DS] Ever Oasis <RPG> (Nintendo)
05./02. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
06./03. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
07./06. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
08./01. [PS4] Gundam Versus (Premium G Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
09./07. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
10./11. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
11./12. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
12./00. [3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers <PZL> (Konami)
13./21. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft)
14./22. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
15./00. [PS4] Hakoniwa Company Works <RPG> (Nippon Ichi)
16./18. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
17./19. [PS4] Portal Knights <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
18./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
19./05. [3DS] Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology <RPG> (Atlus)
20./20. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

01./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./11. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
05./19. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport (Limited Edition) <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
06./14. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
07./06. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus)
08./07. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ry&#363;nosuke Naruhod&#333; <ADV> (Capcom)
09./08. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
10./21. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

horuhe

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 102,563
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 83,305
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 801,447
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1,129,486

ggx2ac

Don't know where else to put this...

Woops.

#Kamiko appear in China TV program(a fashion program). BTW, why shield lady? Becuz Wonder Woman movie&#129300;? Photo provides by gamers. @skipmore https://t.co/ngkxFdHuGE

DFAFD8iWsAAp0au.jpg

https://twitter.com/CIRCLE_Ent/status/887214714002055172

Note: The Switch isn't officially available in China, only Hong Kong.

Reason why it's showing this game is because you'd usually find Chinese language options from the games published by Circle Ent. or Flyhigh Works.

So that would include Implosion and Voez.

Zedark

A bit fat of nothing lol....but isnt splat2 point is higher than DQ11 actually?
That's on Comgnet.com, on amazon DQXI PS4 and 3DS both separately have been trending higher than Splatoon 2 for most days (although I believe the Splatoon 2 digital code by amazon is higher than DQXI secondary SKUs on average).

the only ones i think could/should have come over were utapri and special report division. utapri because the otome market is a thing and it was a thing on handhelds (and it's one of the more well known franchises in the genre), and special report division because it was an early standalone visual novel game for vita that was apparently okay. everything else though stems from bad platform positioning on nis's side to bad franchise management on nisa's side. nis should have been focusing on ps4 and switch a lot earlier, and nisa should have done a better job at bringing over previous visual novel games on platforms where they would have done well. i think not getting shin hayaragami is at least partially linked to not having the ds/psp hayaragami games as a base when visual novel series were becoming established in the western marketplace. launching a new franchise in 2015 on the ps3 and vita would have been risky and doing the sequel to that game on the ps4 and vita two years later would have made no sense. but if it was a part of a long line of games it would have been a lot easier to greenlight.

I feel like NIS always clings to older platforms longer than they need to, so their recent strides in that regard aren't surprising at all. We were still getting things like Awakened Fate in 2014 on PS3 despite the fact that Vita had been a good market for them for quite a while and PS4 was a thing by that point.

It's a shame about Hayarigami - I thought the whole "Shin" part was that it was supposed to be a reboot anyway?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
because of the switch version, it's probably going to be the second best selling game in the series behind disgaea 1 thanks to that game's many iterations.

and because of the switch version, the platforms you're going to see from nis and nisa are ps4, switch and pc/steam.

Counting Disgaea PSP/PSV versions? They had a good share at total sales, at least in Japan.

AniHawk

I feel like NIS always clings to older platforms longer than they need to, so their recent strides in that regard aren't surprising at all. We were still getting things like Awakened Fate in 2014 on PS3 despite the fact that Vita had been a good market for them for quite a while and PS4 was a thing by that point.

awakened fate was 2015... ps3 somehow got way too much love at the end there. support should have shut off in 2012.

It's a shame about Hayarigami - I thought the whole "Shin" part was that it was supposed to be a reboot anyway?

well that's the point - if they had built it up as a franchise earlier with the ds/psp, then the platform choice of shin hayaragami wouldn't have mattered. instead it would be launching a new ip on two unpopular platforms (in 2015).

No, but there are hints that Nintendo will redirect the tons of Switches that sit on Australian shelves to Japan in time for Splatoon launch.

Was this their idea of July's "ramp up" in production? Constantly shifting unsold units from one territory to another?

This is some bootleg shit.

Shizuka

awakened fate was 2015... ps3 somehow got way too much love at the end there. support should have shut off in 2012.

NIS sticks with platforms for way too long. It's not an issue when it's a multiplatform release with a newer console, but like you said, PS3 got way too many games that should've been Vita releases, just like we're getting a few Vita releases that are being ported to PS4 and Switch.

Was this their idea of July's "ramp up" in production? Constantly shifting unsold units from one territory to another?

Nah I'm pretty sure that was a joke by Chris based on the Japan lines thread.

I'm not sure it would make a difference if they actually did do that. Australia isn't a huge market. The population of Australia is only marginally larger than Florida's, and is actually smaller than a couple states.

wrowa

I'm not sure it would make a difference if they actually did do that. Australia isn't a huge market. The population of Australia is only marginally larger than Florida's, and is actually smaller than a couple states.

Thatsthejoke

Redirecting some unsold units from Australia to somewhere else wouldn't make any difference (while being ridiculously expensive at the same time).

Eolz

Predict how much these titles will sell in the week (from Jul 24 to Jul 30):

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 80k
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 101k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 697k
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1358k

ggx2ac

As mentioned already, it was a joke because of people that think Australia is a bigger game market than it is for Nintendo due to Nintendo Switch units sitting on shelves. Same joke can be applied for European countries where Switch stock is sitting on shelves, i.e. Italy, Scandinavian countries, etc.

Reposting some facts for how the DS and Wii did in Australia:

All these people saying there's plenty of stock in Australia, how many units are we talking?

Since I was looking for data, according to this article:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/11/nintendo-wii-sells-over-2-million-units-in-australia/

Whereas the Nintendo DS took 52 months to hit 2 million units sold, the Nintendo Wii took five months less – hitting the same target in 47 months.

All it tells me is that Australia is an extremely small market compared to Japan.

The Wii took almost 4 years to sell 2 million units there.

If I remember correctly, the Wii sold 10 million units LTD in Japan. (And this is without mentioning the 30 million DS units sold LTD in Japan.)

Switch has already sold 1 million units in Japan in 4 months without any end of year holidays.

I really doubt diverting any Switch stock from Australia to Japan would significantly help in anyway.

It becomes more hilarious now looking at the data from Media Create

In Australia, it took 4 years and 4 months for the Nintendo DS to sell two million units and 3 years and 11 months for the Wii.

Looking at the same 3 year 9 month period for the Wii in Japan from the Media Create thread I linked, Wii sold 10.7 million units and the LTD for Nintendo DS at that time was 31.37 million units.

Looking at this Media Create thread, the Wii reached 2 million units sold in Japan by April 2007.

So it took 5 months for Japan what took almost 4 years for Australia to sell the same number of Wii units or in other words, 10.6% of the time to do that.

D.Lo

I'll ask one more time because I'm in Japan right now and still not sure: Where would be the best place to line up for Splatoon 2 in Tokyo? Like the biggest lines? Looking for that authentic Japanese game launch experience ;)

Yodobashi or Bic I asume? Akiba? Shibuya?

I've been travelling around Hokkaido and there is much less promotion for Splatoon than in Tokyo. Tokyo stations had so many ads...

As mentioned already, it was a joke because of people that think Australia is a bigger game market than it is for Nintendo due to Nintendo Switch units sitting on shelves. Same joke can be applied for European countries where Switch stock is sitting on shelves, i.e. Italy, Scandinavian countries, etc.
I'm from Australia and it's not even true anyway. Yes Switches are in stock but it's not like there are piles of them, and it's still a big success, on Mario Kart launch day I had to go to three stores in Sydney City because they had sold out!

I believe it is selling slower here because until recently the Australian dollar was quite weak so the Switch price was set quite high (using pretty much a straight currency conversion from the US price). As a result, it's much more expensive than the 'launched when the AUD was above the USD' PS4/Xbone. And since they've had various price drops over the years to spur sales, PS4Bone are pretty much the cheapest in the world here, you can get a 500GB PS4 brand new for AU$270 (~US$200). Switch is $470.

horuhe

I'll ask one more time because I'm in Japan right now and still not sure: Where would be the best place to line up for Splatoon 2 in Tokyo? Like the biggest lines? Looking for that authentic Japanese game launch experience ;)

Yodobashi or Bic I asume? Akiba? Shibuya?

I've been travelling around Hokkaido and there is much less promotion for Splatoon than in Tokyo. Tokyo stations had so many ads...

What do you mean the best? In context, that would be the worst, haha. The biggest surely you will find them in Tokyo and Osaka. If you are in Osaka for Splatoon launch, Den Den Town, is an obvious stop. In Tokyo, Bic Camera is doing the lotteries so if you want to see people murdering other citizens that would be the perfect scenario. Bic Camera in Shinjuku East, or Sofmap Akiba. Yodobashi Akiba is another one that could be especially crowded, and finally TSUTAYA Shibuya.

D.Lo

What do you mean the best? In context, that would be the worst, haha. The biggest surely you will find them in Tokyo and Osaka. If you are in Osaka for Splatoon launch, Den Den Town, is an obvious stop. In Tokyo, Bic Camera is doing the lotteries so if you want to see people murdering other citizens that would be the perfect scenario. Bic Camera in Shinjuku East, or Sofmap Akiba. Yodobashi Akiba is another one that could be especially crowded, and finally TSUTAYA Shibuya.
Cool thanks for specifics. Yes will be in Tokyo, and by 'best' I mean 'worst' haha. I'll scope tomorrow but probably go with Shinjuku. Ever since I read about the Dragon Quest III lines in 1990 I have been interested in seeing such a thing. I saw it a few years ago for some Vita anime game but this will be a much bigger deal assumedly.

We're probably not gonna see numbers, but I'd love to know what effect (if any) the mobile version of the new Layton game has on the 3DS version's sales.

It's significantly cheaper, much higher res, and is on a platform everyone carries with them all the time.

KtSlime

Cool thanks for specifics. Yes will be in Tokyo, and by 'best' I mean 'worst' haha. I'll scope tomorrow but probably go with Shinjuku. Ever since I read about the Dragon Quest III lines in 1990 I have been interested in seeing such a thing. I saw it a few years ago for some Vita anime game but this will be a much bigger deal assumedly.

If you are asking specifically about where those lines were, they were at the BicCamera in Ikebukuro (and in 88). My guess is that Yodobashi in Akiba will have the biggest line though (just my feeling, I don't really know)

noshten

So if DQXI launches around 2 million - I wonder how quickly Splatoon 2 will catch up. My guess is that by end of September, early October Splatoon 2 should pass the combined sales of DQXI on the PS4/3DS. Obviously that's only if stock issues are resolved August/September and we actually see shipments of >50K for the Switch.

I do hope we see a bigger opening for DQXI but I think that there is a limit to how much it would be able to sell on the PS4, no doubt it would be the first game to comfortably pass 1 million but it's still questionable if it can pass 1.5 million by the end of the year. Still delaying the Switch version has really helped with the launch. I originally expected DQXI to be launched on the PS4/Switch at the same time when we were discussing the game at the start of the year. Switch version being delayed and DQXI launching during the summer holidays has really enabled the PS4 to capture the most hardcore of DQ fans. I think it's preorders being constantly above 3DS version speaks of this.

3DS I think is simply no longer relevant in Japan for DQXI. DQXI will no doubt be a million seller but there would be a big contractions compared to past games on Nintendo handhelds. Older active audience seems to have already started it's transition to the Switch. DQ biggest fans I think will likely go with the PS4 version if they own both devices. While kids don't see DQ in the same light they do Minecraft/Splatoon - it's simply a less popular IP for younger audience of 3DS. Bundles of the new 2DS should help but I honestly think 3DS legs will be non-existent outside of bundles/obon. Once Switch release date is announced we could see the second hand market flooded with copies of DQXI on 3DS.

So if DQXI launches around 2 million - I wonder how quickly Splatoon 2 will catch up. My guess is that by end of September, early October Splatoon 2 should pass the combined sales of DQXI on the PS4/3DS. Obviously that's only if stock issues are resolved August/September and we actually see shipments of >50K for the Switch.

Um wouldn't it need to average >100k per week for those sorts of numbers?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3DS I think is simply no longer relevant in Japan for DQXI. DQXI will no doubt be a million seller but there would be a big contractions compared to past games on Nintendo handhelds. Older active audience seems to have already started it's transition to the Switch. DQ biggest fans I think will likely go with the PS4 version if they own both devices. While kids don't see DQ in the same light they do Minecraft/Splatoon - it's simply a less popular IP for younger audience of 3DS. Bundles of the new 2DS should help but I honestly think 3DS legs will be non-existent outside of bundles/obon. Once Switch release date is announced we could see the second hand market flooded with copies of DQXI on 3DS.

....wait what ? Its either one or the other...cant say that 3DS is irrelevant for DQXI in Japan while at the same time confirming that it will be a million seller without issues.

DQXI 3DS is essential for the market....DQ attracts a much broader market than your typical PS4 owner or hardcore Nintendofan that already owns a Switch.

And no Splatoon 2 wont catch up to DQXI anytime soon - Switch installed base wont make this possible for obv. reasons.

Orgen

DQXI 3DS should reach 2M LTD at least. Adding another million for the PS4 version makes it almost impossible for Splatoon 2 to reach that number. (I'm still not sure about Switch selling 3 million this year in Japan due to stock problems).

EDarkness

Only 3 Switch games in the top 20 and they're all just Nintendo published titles. Can we even begin to argue about the "nintendo audience" not buying third party games when Nintendo is handicapping software sales themselves with the meager amount of hardware making it to market?

The Switch demand hasnt been touching third parties lately even though the consensus seems to be that third parties are trying harder with their Nintendo versions of titles. Even ARMS is feeling the effects of low supply with its numbers dropping so much each week. It really seems like third party efforts are being completely wasted thanks to the current hardware situation. And that certainly isn't encouraging hesitant publishers to jump in sooner than later.

Just curious, what 3rd party games have released lately that weren't eShop only titles? I feel like the 3rd party retail releases have been sparse in Japan at least. In the States, a few indie games have released at retail in recent weeks.

Top Bottom