• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zod has been cast. Kneel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.slashfilm.com/michael-shannon-zod-superman/

Michael Shannon has officially been cast as Zod

Ylzn2.jpg

PR:

“Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.” Snyder stated, “Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.”

Yes? No? Maybe?

ezekial45

Banned
Eh, I'm not really feeling him for Zod. He's a great actor, but he doesn't really have much of a commanding presence (for this kind of character i mean). He looks pretty "unstable" in a number of his roles.

Dead

well not really...yet
The title is apparently "Man of Steel"

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder’s new Superman film, titled “Man of Steel.”

Michael Shannon was so damn good in the first season of Boardwalk Empire, like goosebumps good :eek:
He should be playing more significant roles (in the artistic sense).

He's a great fucking actor (especially for a villian, see Boardwalk Empire), but I can't picture him as Zod. Then again maybe he'll make Zod into his own, unique and still great character.

MisterAnderson said:
Viggo Mortensen should have been Zod.

He's too good for this. Hopefully he comes in another Cronenberg (after the Freud movie). Keep making 'em.

Anyways Michael Shannon was probably the best part about Boardwalk Empire as the season progressed. Damn good and crazy actor. But I don't see him as Zod.

List of Film Superman Villains:

[X] Lex Luthor
[X] General Zod
[X] Richard Pryor
[X] Nuclear Man
[X] Parenthood
[_] Brainiac
[_] Darkseid
[_] Metallo
[_] Bizarro
[_] Doomsday
[_] Parasite
[_] Mongul
[_] Ultraman
[_] Gog
[_] Mr. Mxyzptlk
[_] Jimmy Olsen

Stop picking the same damn villains every f*cking time, Warner Bros. :mad:

Dead

well not really...yet
Parasite or Metallo would be a good choice for secondary villain if there is one, and Im inclined to think there is

Angry Fork

Every single casting choice for this film has been odd, to say the least. I'm not saying any of them are bad actors, which they aren't, but they just so do not match the typical Superman characters/roles visually.

Snyder is taking the whole different/modern thing so seriously it seems. I still think this movie will be a train wreck but I'm a huge Superman fan so I have to see it anyway. I really really hope they do justice to Superman and don't just have tons of shit blowing up in slow motion. Returns didn't have enough action but I'll eat my shoe if Snyder manages to out-do the plane sequence.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dead said:
Parasite or Metallo would be a good choice for secondary villain if there is one, and Im inclined to think there is
There probably is.
They know better than to just fucking reuse the same old villains. Nolan and Goyer know.

Would have been better if they started with Brainiac though.

Spike Spiegel said:
List of Superman Villains:

[X] Lex Luthor
[X] General Zod
[X] Richard Pryor
[X] Nuclear Man
[X] Parenthood
[_] Brainiac
[_] Darkseid
[_] Metallo
[_] Bizarro
[_] Doomsday
[_] Parasite
[_] Mongul
[_] Ultraman
[_] Gog
[_] Mr. Mxyzptlk
[_] Jimmy Olsen

Honestly, when you put that list up, it's no wonder they just spinn in endless cricles with these films.

DMczaf

Spike Spiegel said:
List of Film Superman Villains:

[X] Lex Luthor
[X] General Zod
[X] Richard Pryor
[X] Nuclear Man
[X] Parenthood
[_] Brainiac
[_] Darkseid
[_] Metallo
[_] Bizarro
[_] Doomsday
[_] Parasite
[_] Mongul
[_] Ultraman
[_] Gog
[_] Mr. Mxyzptlk
[_] Jimmy Olsen

I think that list does the opposite of what you wanted.

I'd pick Richard Pryor over at least half of those.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I WONDER IF SUPERMAN WILL BE INITIALLY WEAKENED BY KRYPTONITE< BUT THEN OVERCOME THE KRYPTONITE WITH WILLPOWER AND THE ASSISTANCE OF HIS FRIENDS!!???

That would be so cool.

Another Superman movie down the drain, not because of Sheen, but the villain.

Oh and Sunday must be Warner Bros. day to release Superman news. Gotta bury that Sucker Punch bomb, eh?

Furret

Banned
Is Marvel secretly funding these Superman movies or something?

First we get the bizarre, morose, brain-numingly stupid Superman Returns re-running the story from the first film.

Now we've got Zach Synder and this nobody trying to remake Superman II.

Superman doesn't have a very big rogue's gallery but Darksied and Brainiac are great some of the best in comics, and Parasite isn't bad either.

Is the the next reboot going to feature Chris Rock in the Richard Pryor role?

Angry Fork

AceBandage said:
Mr. Mxyzptlk as a villain would make a really interesting movie.
I would love to see this but it likely won't since he's not famous enough.

Anything is better than Zod though. I still think Luthor should be in the film but NOT as a main villain, only as a looming background figure kind of thing like he often was during the animated series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom