• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Legends - Warriors of Light and Darkness announced

duckroll

Title: Final Fantasy Legends - Warriors of Light and Darkness
Platform: Mobile Phones
Distribution Site: Final Fantasy Mobile
Price: Free Prologue, each subsequent scenario is 300-500 FF Points
Release Date: September 2010 on iMode, EZWeb this Winter
Genre: RPG

What we know:

- Brand new FF game, not a remake
- 2D graphics
- Uses Job Change system and ATB
- Logo by Amano
- Up to 5 party members in battles

B.K.

Interesting. Wish there were some screens. Since it's a mobile game, I hope they port it to Wii, like The After Years, so it can be released here in America.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
burgerdog said:
What's iMode and EZweb, and by mobile phones do they mean iPhone and Android phones?
It means pretty much anything that isn't those types of phones.

B.K. said:
Interesting. Wish there were some screens. Since it's a mobile game, I hope they port it to Wii, like The After Years, so it can be released here in America.
That or a iPhone port would be the best. I'd like to play it too, here in Japan. :/

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
B.K. said:
I also hope it's much better than After Years.

SE has been on a trend of porting/moving their bigger mobile games to platforms that are actually relevant here, so it'll probably be localized somehow.

Zek said:
I also hope it's much better than After Years.
Pricing was ridiculous. All the together, game cost 37 dollars. I hope it wont be as bad for this one (if ported over) but being Square I don't see it happening.

Still, curious to see what this looks like and plays like.

burgerdog

RevenantKioku said:
It means pretty much anything that isn't those types of phones.
That's a bummer, at least there's still secret of mana and war of the lions coming later this year to iPhone.

duckroll

GoldandBlue said:
Pricing was ridiculous. All the together, game cost 37 dollars. I hope it wont be as bad for this one (if ported over) but being Square I don't see it happening.

The mobile pricing is similar to After Years, so if it does get ported to any digital distribution platform I expect the pricing to be identical if not higher.

Edit: I missed out another point of note. Battles will support a maximum of 5 party members in this game.

BlueWord

Aeana said:
If this is where they put Ito, I'll cry for days.

But I have to admit that it sounds kind of cool.

I have to ask, why does Ito always seem to be in the background, if not outright getting the shaft from SE? FFIX and XII are two of my favorites in the franchise, and he directed the only FF to get that 40/40 (which I reckon matters more in the wake of FFXIII) from Famitsu.

Also, hope the game make it over here, somehow. Given the popularity of the iPhone platform worldwide, it makes me wonder why they don't just opt for that, but I figure there must be some business decision that's not obvious (to me, at least).

Tiktaalik

I hope the use of ATB and 2D isn't an indicator that this is some retro gimmick game. I love the old FF games a ton, but the battle interfaces are best designed for D-Pads, not the iPhone. There's a lot of potential with the touch interface to do something much better and more streamlined.

edit: Oh wait is this mobile phones and not iPhone (ie no touch controls)? With all of SE's recent iPhone games I just assumed.

This probably won't come to the iPhone, given that it uses the ATB system, the touch only controls would probably render it unplayable.

Then again, they are porting Secret of Mana to the iPhone, so maybe they'll do it anyway :lol

Aeana

Tiktaalik said:
I hope the use of ATB and 2D isn't an indicator that this is some retro gimmick game. I love the old FF games a ton, but the battle interfaces are best designed for D-Pads, not the iPhone. There's a lot of potential with the touch interface to do something much better and more streamlined.
This isn't for the iPhone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, it's coming to EZWeb that quickly? When I was living in Japan, iMode got everything, and EZweb ports came years later.

Aru

Lord Helmet said:
Put it on the DS. Wish FFIV: TAY was on the DS too. :/

I'd pay 20-30 € for FFIV: TAY on DS.

Another cellphone game eh ?
Only regret I have with those is that 95% of the time, we don't get them.
TAY was the only exception for now, IIRC (but next we get Re:Coded and Seiken Densetsu 2 Mobile).

Aru

TEJ said:
Me too

*cries*

FF:4HoL was not a huge success in Japan and it's a "chance" that it got an international release.
I don't think SaGa 2 will get this kind of treatment, sadly :/

duckroll said:
2a0j3u0.gif

TEJ

B.K. said:
Why? They use the SaGa name in America now. If they released it here, it would be called SaGa 2.

I......wasn't thinking clearly. My desire for SaGa 2/7th dragon/tales of graces in English makes me have illogical thoughts.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
burgerdog said:
That's a bummer, at least there's still secret of mana and war of the lions coming later this year to iPhone.
Oh boy, crap!

Haunted

duckroll said:
Title: Final Fantasy Legends - Warriors of Light and Darkness
Distribution Site: Final Fantasy Mobile
Price: Free Prologue, each subsequent scenario is 300-500 FF Points
Release Date: September 2010 on iMode, EZWeb this Winter
Genre: RPG
:rage

Top Bottom