• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera Wii 2.0

santouras

JonathanEx said:
Huh, tabs. Why we had to wait 2 years for those on Opera is a bit amusing.
opera have said repeatedly that they put into the browser what nintendo asks for. They are just providing the product.

JavaMava

tabsina said:
I'm not so sure.. I think it was just saying that anybody who already has the Opera Channel doesn't have to purchase this one.. it is just easier to say it that way than to also say "and also those who got it in the 6month free window"

My assumption is that it'll only be the people who have never downloaded it in the first place that need to pay.. so nothing has changed (was Opera 1 the same price?)

No. The easy way of saying what you think would be "If you already have the first version of the browser, 2.0 is free."

What has been specifically stated is "If you paid for the first version of the browser, you don’t have to pay for this one"

wsippel

Banned
JavaMava said:
No. The easy way of saying what you think would be "If you already have the first version of the browser, 2.0 is free."

What has been specifically stated is "If you paid for the first version of the browser, you don’t have to pay for this one"
Nintendo can't tell the difference as far as we know. You either have a ticket for Oper or you don't. The system doesn't know whether you paid for it or got it for free.

Crazyorloco

Some people may not like the opera wii browser, but I think it's really nice. I really enjoy watching Youtube on my t.v. and playing free games. :D Glad they're improving it.

JavaMava

wsippel said:
Nintendo can't tell the difference as far as we know. You either have a ticket for Oper or you don't. The system doesn't know whether you paid for it or got it for free.

What are you basing this off of? How do you know Nintendo can't tell the difference? The only for us to know is if such information came from Nintendo themselves, or potentially if you were to delete your freely gained web-browser and attempt to re-download it. If you get it for free... then maybe you have a point, if they ask for wii points well then Nintendo knows.

So if you have a free wii browser, delete it, try to re-download it, and let us know.

JavaMava said:
So if you have a free wii browser, delete it, try to re-download it, and let us know.
I've already done that, multiple times

Everyone who got the browser for free have it "purchased". This update will be free for them.

birdchili

wii browser is great - particularly for youtube when you want to sit in the living room with friends instead of clustering around someone's desk. it's decently usable for lots of stuff, really... it just sucks for general surfing the net. a decent update, particularly with better video/audio streaming support would be fantastic.

camineet

Banned
I absolutely love the Wii browser, and use it often for YouTube.

Looking forward to 2.0 hopefully it's free for me, as I got the original while it was free.
I'll even buy 2.0 it for 500 points if I have to, though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The M.O.B said:
Stop teh Hatezzzzzz

Browser is awesome if my comp is down. also awesome for YT.
heh, for me its awesome by virtue of its 42" plasma screen connection alone : ) whereas ir and kbd make it outright lovable.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not to rain on anyone's parade, and I'm sure I won't as this message will be ignored like the previous voices of reason:

The information from Go-nintendo is translated from the German Gamereactor, most likely through babelfish. Arguing over the wording of this information is absolutely useless. People who downloaded the Wii Browser for free technically paid for the software and, much like the previous update (from beta to release version), will also get this for free.

Man, things must be going incredibly well for Nintendo if this is what we're trolling.

Jaagen

I'll get this. Easily the best of the console browser(and also the Wii Channel that I fpund the most usefull) To bad about flash, though

Edit: I also agree with morningbus. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Wii browser will always have a special place in my heart, if only for those three months where Hewlett Packard was being an absolute jerk about getting my laptop fixed.

Maybe Adobe is trialling a Flash 9 license for devices? Which would explain why the PS3 has it.

Is there any real reason they haven't allowed it yet? What are they waiting for?

Jaagen

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Maybe Adobe is trialling a Flash 9 license for devices? Which would explain why the PS3 has it.

Is there any real reason they haven't allowed it yet? What are they waiting for?

They're waiting for the launch of the Linux version of CS4(hint:never):p

But seriously, I don't know. Maybe they've gone lazy after they bought Macromedia.

Jaagen

Phoenix is of course right, and I didn't expect them to run a full featured Flash on the Wii, but it still sucks that it doesn't run the latest Flash for devices yet.

Edit: The feature I'm most excited about, is tabs, and while some are going to complain that it's only six, you have to remember that the Wii has like 80 megs of RAM so six tabs is more than enough to some casual browsing.

GaryD

evilromero said:
I had to delete the Opera browser because it took up too much damn memory. I'm guessing this one will take up even more.

Only on the Wii could this be first reply :lol

Nintendo could see if you paid for the browser simply by looking at the date you downloaded it. If they keep such statistics of course.

Burai

shitonmychest57
:Motorbass said:
Nintendo could see if you paid for the browser simply by looking at the date you downloaded it. If they keep such statistics of course.

They could, but the shop channel doesn't really work like that. The shop channel merely checks against the install ticket on your console.

People that have installed pirated Wiiware and VC games have noted that the shop channel lists their ill-gotten gains as legitimate purchases.

And you don't think they'll fix that in the future?

This absolutely needs a recent version of Flash (9 at least), and to be honest, it should be free. I know Nintendo likes to make every cent they can, but since it was free to begin with (although for a much shorter time than they first promised), and I believe the one on the DSi is free, it sets a bad precedent to charge for this one. Especially if they plan on charging people who got it for free. And don't give me that "Nintendo has no way of knowing," just because their interface is sloppy doesn't mean they can't run a quick scan through transaction logs for valid "purchasers" while leaving the free downloaders out in the cold.

later

Kulock said:

This absolutely needs a recent version of Flash (9 at least), and to be honest, it should be free. I know Nintendo likes to make every cent they can, but since it was free to begin with (although for a much shorter time than they first promised), and I believe the one on the DSi is free, it sets a bad precedent to charge for this one. Especially if they plan on charging people who got it for free. And don't give me that "Nintendo has no way of knowing," just because their interface is sloppy doesn't mean they can't run a quick scan through transaction logs for valid "purchasers" while leaving the free downloaders out in the cold.

You talking to the dudes that are charging for a wii speak channel....

Somnid

Kulock said:

Opera was available free for exactly how long they said it would be: 6 months. DSi is slightly different though in that it is important to the system as both a selling feature and enhances the network capabilities by allowing you to view registration and other default web pages on private (especially pay-for) networks. Without it you couldn't connect to them directly.

Also, Nintendo's download system does not easily allow for what you are proposing since it isn't designed that way. Doing those sorts of backward checks would be a lot of trouble and therefore highly unlikely.

later said:
You talking to the dudes that are charging for a wii speak channel....

Wiispeak buyers get it for free and people without Wiispeak... well it's kinda useless to them now isn't it?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Kulock said:

Their system just isn't that advanced. They'd have to completely rewrite their back-end and client-side from scratch. And this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

zigg

I'm calling shenanigans, at least on the "screenshot".

2vi37nq.png

The render of nintendo.com is done by Firefox. Take a look at the search box in the upper right, on the site. On the current Internet Channel, the "What are you looking for?" text fits inside the box neatly, while on Firefox it sits nearly across the bottom edge of said box. This is happening in the "screenshot".

The buttons are ridiculous. The real Internet Channel has a much more pleasant, muted aesthetic going on. The creator of this "screenshot" went wild with his contrast, not to mention making them twice as tall for no good reason. I've never seen tall buttons on any Nintendo offering.

While we're talking about the buttons, they are one hell of a lot more in-focus than the browser render in the background. The real Internet Channel doesn't have this problem, why would this one? Maybe because it's Photoshopped?

And the cube, well... I don't have any substantive complaints about the cube, other than the fact that it looks bad and is blocking a substantial portion of the viewing area. I'm not even sure tab-equivalents make sense on a TV-based browser. And if they did, why not just actual tabs?

The whole thing screams fake to me. I'd like to be proven wrong, though hopefully if I am proven wrong, any update would retain the simple sensibilities the current Channel has, and look nothing like this thing.

Or maybe it's just GR speculating on what they'd like a new Internet Channel to be?

iveseenalotofshopsinmyday.gif

camineet

Banned
I agree that the Internet Channel is by far the most useful channel of all. every other channel is a waste of time in comparison and just a useless novelty. the internet channel is almost as good as the entire internet. the only limits of the internet channel, and thus, how much of the internet can be used, is how much capability the browser has.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
And the cube, well... I don't have any substantive complaints about the cube, other than the fact that it looks bad and is blocking a substantial portion of the viewing area.
and for a good reason too ; )

dyls

Kulock said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this is impossible. Nintendo have actively touted the idea of cleaning the fridge and being able to get back anything you've downloaded in the past. If they were going to charge for the new version, they would have to at least make the old version available for free to those who had it and deleted it, or it would completely undermine the fridge-cleaning idea. And I just can't see Nintendo having both the old and new version available on the shop channel—it's just not their style.

Well, my opinion has been beaten into the ground, but I still think it's foolish to assume that Nintendo doesn't have some way of tracking purchases, even if their interface is currently pretty stupid about it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hope it uses Presto 2.2.

Acid3 for the win.

Currently posting this via Opera 10 Alpha.

DavidDayton said:
Gee, thanks. I came in here thinking there had been an update.
at least you have a computer... this wii channel is my only access to the internets at home :(

must have an update stop teasing me Nintendo

zigg

I can't believe there are people still holding their breath for this thing, seriously.

I will be literally blown away if there is any update of this scale out this month... let alone ever.

My money's on the GR article, if it actually existed in the first place, being a "hey here's what we'd like to see from a new Internet Channel, wouldn't it be great to have it in December on the anniversary of the original one?" type of thing rather than actual news. Unless someone's got some actual evidence to the contrary?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Smiles and Cries said:
at least you have a computer... this wii channel is my only access to the internets at home :(

must have an update stop teasing me Nintendo

The fact of the matter is that there was never any "real" news about an update in December... just a few different low level game sites reporting that "GameReactor" had reported on an update.

The lack of info on the Opera website would seem to imply that there might be little to this.

(Granted, GameReactor is a "Nordic" game magazine, and Opera -is- based in Norway, but still...)

Top Bottom