• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: last day to grab R-Type Delta and R-Types from US PSN (PS One Classics)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This was mentioned briefly on the last PS Blogcast but I kinda forgot to post it last week. It's being delisted tomorrow. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why is it being delisted?

From last year:

http://andriasang.com/comx5u/irem_psn/

Act soon if you want to download Irem games from PlayStation Store. The troubled publisher announced today that on August 11, it will pull the following product from the shop:

R-Type Tactics (PSP)
Mousukesu based on Carton-kun (PSP)
Bumpy Trott Beagle Battle Tournament (PSP)
Ikuze! Gensan Yuyake Daikou Monogatari (PSP)
R-Type Tactics II Operation Bitter Chocolate (PSP)
Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Ran (PSP)
Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Dairan (PSP)
Narisokonai Eiyuutan: Story of the Sun and Moon (PSP)
R-Types (Game Archives)
R-Type Delta (Game Archives)
Gussun Paradise (Game Archives)
Irem Arcade Classics (Game Archives)

All demos, download content, videos and custom themes relating to these games will also be pulled from PSN on the same day.

On PlayStation Home, Irem will close many of its lounges on September 1. The company has a number of lounges, covering everything from Doki Doki Suikoden to Spelunker.

Irem did not say why it's taking these steps.

[Via Game Jouhou]

Correction 7/24: This story originally miswrote that Irem is closing all its lounges. It looks like some lounges may not be closing. As noted by Mao in the comments below, lounges for Pachipara and Dokidoki Suikoden are not listed in Irem's list of closures.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
in the future will I be able to redownload them if they already have been purchased ?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
also I was having problems saving the game in rtype delta. Do I need a ps1 memory card or something ?

thanks in advance to who ever answers this.

No way to purchase PSOne games without a PS3, right?
My PS3 is dead and being serviced, so all I have is a Vita at the moment.

What about Europe?

EDIT: They were never released here to begin with. :( At least I still have my PS1 copy of Delta, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What about Europe?

EDIT: They were never released here to begin with. :( At least I still have my PS1 copy of Delta, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me.

Shit, really? That means the copy of delta I have on my ps3 must be a US one. Which means it won't transfer to my UK vita when they eventually bring PSone support :/

Ugh... I had a feeling this was gonna happen when I noticed Hammerin' Hero had suddenly disappeared. I have both R-Type games on disc but I have been meaning to get them so I could play on the go. Thanks for the heads up.

After some hassle, I can confirm that I was able to buy both Delta and R-Types via Media Go. Now I just need my PS3 back or PSOne support on Vita.

What about the R-Types on the U.S virtual console?
They were pulled earlier in the year along with all other Irem stuff.

I don't think they made any announcement for the VC side, but I grabbed Ninja Spirit and Legend of Hero Tonma (both for TG16) just in case (and I was right).

Zee-Row

Banned
They were pulled earlier in the year along with all other Irem stuff.

I don't think they made any announcement for the VC side, but I grabbed Ninja Spirit and Legend of Hero Tonma (both for TG16) just in case (and I was right).

Damn it I have R-Type 3 and R-Type Turbo Grafix 16 but never got Super R-Type.

Jazzem

Thanks for the heads up! Just grabbed Delta from the US store despite being in the UK (it is possible!). Really sad what happened to Irem :(

@MUWANdo

Banned
How is pulling their games off the shelf gonna help Irem? Assuming they still own the R-Type IP outright, wouldn't it be better for them, us and everyone else to keep the games up there?

How is pulling their games off the shelf gonna help Irem? Assuming they still own the R-Type IP outright, wouldn't it be better for them, us and everyone else to keep the games up there?

They'll probably get more sales in these next few days than they've had all year.

Ravidrath

They're going out of business - they don't have anyone to receive the money, manage the accounts, pay the taxes, etc.

CLEEK

Question: Once it's been delisted, will I be able to still re-download it from my download history?

I have it installed on my PS3, but will need to get the install bubble back to move it to my Vita after the glorious, life changing, Summer 2012 of love update.

Ravidrath

They're actually, formally closing? I thought they were still around in some administrative capacity, a la 3DR.

I don't know what the full story is, but... as I see it, the only reason to pull things down is because they no longer have the capability to administrate.

I will say this - I have a friend that worked at IREM and is now at Granzella. He didn't paint a good picture of things at IREM before ZZT4 was canceled, and the entire development staff was let go afterwards. And that was over a year ago.

So I'd say they've been in the administrative phase ever since ZZT4 was canceled, and now it's time to wind that down, too.

isual

This can be quite scary. Will the same policy occur in the future with any other companies' forclosure ?

Is this is true, then that means all bought digital games will be a hindrance for people to re-download.

Arc

also I was having problems saving the game in rtype delta. Do I need a ps1 memory card or something ?

thanks in advance to who ever answers this.

You need to create a virtual memory card in your PS3.

Just go to the Game tab in XMB and select "Memory Card Utility".

This was mentioned briefly on the last PS Blogcast but I kinda forgot to post it last week. It's being delisted tomorrow. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Thanks wario, man. I'm glad that someone actually pays attention to shit like this (fucking missed capcoms fate delisting two months ago)

I guess wario does what game journalismdon't

(I did send this page to joystiq, and finally they put the news up. Sorry wario, they just credited the forum and not the man)
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/06/psa-last-day-to-get-r-type-games-on-psn/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Thanks wario, man. I'm glad that someone actually pays attention to shit like this (fucking missed capcoms fate delisting two months ago)

I guess wario does what game journalismdon't

(I did send this page to joystiq, and finally they put the news up. Sorry wario, they just credited the forum and not the man)
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/06/psa-last-day-to-get-r-type-games-on-psn/

It's cool, not looking for credit. But if you followed my Twitter account, you would have known this the instant the Blogcast ep was up :)

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/231179928337526784

It's really sad that IREM is closing up shop. R-Type was one of the very best games of the 80's and it's still really good to this day. I played through it not to long ago and I was playing in 4 to 6 hours a day for several days. I got really, really hooked on it. =)

The level design is some of the best ever. In any genre.

Akkad

Banned
I wish they would release R-Type Final as a PS2 classic on PSN, but I guess that ain't happening now. I loved that game.

Yuterald

God damn, digital distribution is such garbage sometimes. Glad I still own my physical Delta. I'll need to buy a physical R-Types one day too. This kind of news always depresses me. =(

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't know what the full story is, but... as I see it, the only reason to pull things down is because they no longer have the capability to administrate.

I will say this - I have a friend that worked at IREM and is now at Granzella. He didn't paint a good picture of things at IREM before ZZT4 was canceled, and the entire development staff was let go afterwards. And that was over a year ago.

So I'd say they've been in the administrative phase ever since ZZT4 was canceled, and now it's time to wind that down, too.

Oh, damn. RIP Irem. Hopefully someone with half a clue can resurrect R-Type someday.

Question: Once it's been delisted, will I be able to still re-download it from my download history?

I have it installed on my PS3, but will need to get the install bubble back to move it to my Vita after the glorious, life changing, Summer 2012 of love update.

I don't know how it'll work on PSN or with the Irem stuff in particular but I know that people who purchased the delisted Wii VC games can delete and re-download them without any hassles, and the same is true of some other delisted XBLA/PSN games too, IIRC.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
God damn, digital distribution is such garbage sometimes. Glad I still own my physical Delta. I'll need to buy a physical R-Types one day too. This kind of news always depresses me. =(

People who bought copies can still redownload the files.

The real problem here is licensing and rights issues, why these games have to be taken off services as far as new sales go.

Physical copies don't last forever either, and don't get re-printed when they're scratched, broken, etc. There is no perfect solution to collecting stuff.

Eusis

People who bought copies can still redownload the files.

The real problem here is licensing and rights issues, why these games have to be taken off services as far as new sales go.

Physical copies don't last forever either, and don't get re-printed when they're scratched, broken, etc. There is no perfect solution to collecting stuff.
Digital Distribution works best when all companies are healthy, not getting into disputes, and don't feel the need to manipulate availability for marketing reasons. And thankfully stuff like this so far seems to be the exception rather than the norm, but it's still a shame every time it happens, and it does seem more likely to happen with titles that weren't mega popular in the first place. Still, at least for physical copies it's more a matter of the laws of physics being a bitch, rather than something more arbitrary.

Also it seems usually if we have availability actively manipulated it's stuff like, say, pulling Sonic 2006 from XBL. A move I object to out of principle, but scrap that away and it's almost cause for celebration instead.

Top Bottom