• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Londoners' fury at MoD plans to put Olympic missiles on roofs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chungus

slightly disturbed why they would need Missile Batteries..

IxlOg.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Olympics... creating peace and harmony every 4 years
because no one gives a shit about the winter olympics...not even evildoers

Yeah, I don't get it. Who do they think is going to attack? Everyone has athletes there.

Do they really think they would shoot down a hijacked plane doing a suicide mission?

When preperations go a little bit too far.

What are they expecting? Planes? Or small RC planes with explosives attached to them?

Volimar

Of course they would. Far less casualties if you shoot it down.

I'd hate to be the one to have to push that button though =/.

But if the missiles are in London, wouldn't they be shooting the plane down....over London? I can't help but think that it could cause a great deal of casualties.

LordAlu

The thread title made me think the missiles were there to shoot at Olympians!

Then I woke up properly and read it again. :(

Yen

I'm not sure how effective this would be. It reminds me of the time the government stuck a tank on Heathrows runway to deter terrorists, or to make it seem like they're doing something.

dalin80

Banned
HMS ocean has been moved just a few miles away to act as a mobile base-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...cean-squeezes-through-the-Thames-Barrier.html

I believe one of the new type 45's is also going to be off shore and a bunch of typhoons have been re-situated for better air support.

Seems to be some serious concern over a possible airbourne attack, the typhoons working with early warning radar should be able to reach anything long before reaching london, while the type 45 can monitor half of englands air space on its own.

With the thousands of troops moving into the area it does seem a little overkill.

caramac

How long before the Olympics are held on the moon in the interests of security. High jump and throwing event records will be smashed.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If the government came to put a missile battery on my roof, I'd say 'fucking rad' and try and get a look at the install while offering them coffee.

Phoenix

But if the missiles are in London, wouldn't they be shooting the plane down....over London? I can't help but think that it could cause a great deal of casualties.

The Olympic venues would have a larger population density. Kinda like would you let a plane go down at the Superbowl or in a residential area. The destructive area of a crashed plane actually isn't that large so better to take it down from the higher density.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
What a bullshit headline, there's no fury at all.

Obviously they it wouldn't be the best thing for your decor if a SAM was fired out of your upstairs window, but everyone understands that if that's deemed necessary it's really the least of our problems.

PJV3

SO would you bring a plane down on Buckingham palace(Queen not around) or a council estate?.

dejay

Banned
Surely it's better to err on the side of caution, when really it isn't really effecting anybody's civil liberties that much.

There's always someone complaining during the lead up to the Olympics. I'm sure some people will be put out, but some people always are during these events.

Dead Man

Gotta agree. I wouldn't want one on my roof for this reason.

All of London is a military target during the Olympics. The greatest targets will be those with VIP's and high density of people. Suburban roofs don't really get a look in.

dalin80

Banned
With a bit of luck any downed aircraft will crash into the guy who designed the 2012 logo, do the world a favour even if not in time to save the London Olympics from looking retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom