• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microgenres

KonradLaw

The Commadoes series-style strategy games that's more like stealth puzzle games than RTS-es.
maxresdefault.jpg

Other examples:
Desperados

Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood

And most recently Shadow Tactics

Banzai

Crash Team Racing remaster with online is gonna happen and it's gonna be the best game ever made.

I will be THERE. This right here is the biggest reason I'm buying the Crash remakes and encouraging my friends to do the same.

Honestly, just take the ps1 game and slap online mp on it and I'd hand you a blank check.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

How many games like Mario Kart are there that are good?

Sonic Racing Transformed, Blur and BlazeRush.

Modnation would have been good if the framerate was better on the cool levels you could download and the loading times weren't so bad.

And that's it.

Maybe CTR if we're going way back.

Chocobo Racing on PS1 was incredible. Loved that game, put many hours into it.

The coolest thing was that powerups were Final Fantasy spells, and every time you picked up the same spell it became more powerful - 1 ice left a little slippery spot on the track (like a MK banana), 2 ice left a group of slippery spots, and 3 ice immediately hit every racer and made them slip and spin out. It was a balance of powering up your attacks vs. using them more often.

Plus all the areas inspired by past Final Fantasies, all the music remixes from them, and once you beat the story mode you could create your own racer by editing the palette of existing ones, name them, and spend stat points that you had earned based on your performance.

So good.

gelf

I don't think what I would call Flying Rail Shooters have many examples. And most of that do exist come from the same company. Anyone feel free to correct me with more examples as I love the genre. Basically rail shooters where your controlling a flying object on a somewhat set path(maybe with optional routes) but unlike standard rail shooters(e.g Virtua Cop, Time Crisis) this flight means your more free to dodge oncoming fire.

Space Harrier
118124217151.png

Afterburner
After%20Burner%20II%20(J).png

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer_Dragoon_level_1_screenshot.jpg
5514_2004-03-22_18-719483.jpg

Star Fox
snes17.png
4fe4994dca8bf.jpg

Mansion games:
Games that take place primarily exploring one house.

Maniac Mansion
maxresdefault.jpg

Resident Evil 1 (and 7 to some extent)
resident-evil-remake-hd-remaster-a-dining-room-screenshot-ps4-xbox-one-ps3-360-pc.jpg

Gone Home
Gone-Home.jpg

Please name some others, I tend to love them.

If you like exploring a creepy mansion, you should look for a translation of Sweet Home, a NES RPG/environment puzzler that was one of the first survival horror games and directly inspired Resident Evil in a lot of ways.

vjEzhvk.png
Umu8MsS.png

ZJZNbv5.png
MhUComW.png

It's about five ordinary people, each with different skills, who are visiting a mansion to examine the art/frescoes there, and get trapped inside.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Games that are like part RPG, part text adventure, part simulation, part kingdom manager.

Oregon Trail

King of Dragon Pass

7 Grand Steps

Hero of the Kingdom

Crusader kings kind of fits this as well.

mclem

Platformers with No Legs or No Jumping:

YMMV whether this counts, but I think I'd argue for Ricochet on this one.

Vcn4HsY.jpg

SPRAT - that red blob - doesn't have legs, for one thing, but while he rolls around on the horizontal plane, he also doesn't *exactly* jump; instead, you gain height by compressing yourself into the ground (and the length of the keypress determines exactly how much) before releasing, at which point you're entirely at the mercy of the physics engine (such that it is!) until you come to a halt, rebounding off surfaces in a variety of ways.

I guess thinking of jumping as a simplified 2D golf would fit the bill?

Phediuk

I don't think what I would call Flying Rail Shooters have many examples. And most of that do exist come from the same company. Anyone feel free to correct me with more examples as I love the genre. Basically rail shooters where your controlling a flying object on a somewhat set path(maybe with optional routes) but unlike standard rail shooters(e.g Virtua Cop, Time Crisis) this flight means your more free to dodge oncoming fire.

Space Harrier
118124217151.png

Afterburner
After%20Burner%20II%20(J).png

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer_Dragoon_level_1_screenshot.jpg
5514_2004-03-22_18-719483.jpg

Star Fox
snes17.png
4fe4994dca8bf.jpg

There's also Vanark, Microcosm, Solvalou, Galaxian 3, Galaxy Force, Total Eclipse Turbo, Novastorm, and the Yar's Revenge remake. Omega Boost might also fit, but there's slightly more freedom of movement in that.

Not that small of a genre tbqh.

OP has a tendency for creating awesome threads like this one, good stuff. :)

How about Oldschool Sci-fi Realtime 3D First Person Open World-ish Walking Simulator Puzzle Action Adventures Running at 5 FPS:

Mercenary (1985):
06mYXUR.png

Damocles: Mercenary II (1990):
98CUCep.png

Mercenary III: The Dion Crisis (1991):
1wcxQh8.png

The Colony (1988):
027IH6u.png

Driller/Space Station Oblivion (1987):
UqwXpX7.png

Dark Side (1988):
kbGDGvL.png

Total Eclipse (1989):
dti4ZFx.png

Castle Master (1990):
2iicxUN.png

Galactic Empire (1990):
G0MdjIO.png

A.G.E. - Advanced Galactic Empire (1991):
afFH9Av.png

Infestation (1990):
xR0GwIL.png

Cybercon III (1991):
UsdChsj.png

Phediuk

OP has a tendency for creating awesome threads like this one, good stuff. :)

How about Oldschool Sci-fi Realtime 3D First Person Open World-ish Walking Simulator Puzzle Action Adventures Running at 5 FPS:

Mercenary (1985):
06mYXUR.png

98CUCep.png

1wcxQh8.png

The Colony (1988):
027IH6u.png

UqwXpX7.png

Dark Side (1988):
kbGDGvL.png

Total Eclipse (1989):
dti4ZFx.png

Castle Master (1990):
2iicxUN.png

Galactic Empire (1990):
G0MdjIO.png

A.G.E. - Advanced Galactic Empire (1991):
afFH9Av.png

Infestation (1990):
xR0GwIL.png

Cybercon III (1991):
UsdChsj.png

You forgot Midwinter.

And its sequel, Flames of Freedom:

Izuna

Banned
Skyroads is an incredible game btw

There's also Vanark, Microcosm, Solvalou, Galaxian 3, Galaxy Force, Total Eclipse Turbo, Novastorm, and the Yar's Revenge remake. Omega Boost might also fit, but there's slightly more freedom of movement in that.

Crimson Dragon, Rex, Child of Eden...

There are a few VR games like it too

mclem

Mercenary (1985):

Dark Side (1988):
Total Eclipse (1989):
Castle Master (1990):

I'm not sure I'd put the Freescape games in quite the same category as the Mercenary ones, Mercenary's a lot more freeform. And also the framerate was a bit better!

Not familiar with the others on the list, I'll have to look out for them.

You forgot Midwinter. And its sequel, Flames of Freedom:

You're absolutely right, there are probably a few more I missed, but the Midwinter games were indeed a big omission, although they might be a bit more broad in certain aspects, so then you might add stuff like Armour-Geddon to the mix as well, or Tau-Ceti III. I suppose back then genres weren't as defined as today (especially in the 3D realm), so a lot of early first person titles with adventure elements relied on the more arcadey and often vehicle-based stuff inspired by Battlezone and onward, while the "adventure" elements were mostly built around item-based puzzles and orientation.

EDIT:
I'm not sure I'd put the Freescape games in quite the same category as the Mercenary ones, Mercenary's a lot more freeform. And also the framerate was a bit better!

Not familiar with the others on the list, I'll have to look out for them.

Depending on where you played them, I rocked that shit on the C64. :)

You're right though, the Freescape games are much more linear and puzzle/objective driven while the Mercenary games are their own thing really, one branch of predecessors of modern open world games, the first Mercenary maybe being a closer ancestor to Bethesda's The Terminator from 1990 and so on. Realtime 3D first person "on foot" games were quite the novelty back then, so I kinda think the lines were a bit more blurry, sharing some "adventure" elements like holding items or orientation and finding a location/object in 3D space.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Platformer Racing

Sonic 2 Multiplayer Mode

Kirby Gourmet Race

Raskulls

Speedrunners

Runbow
You forgot Jazz Jackrabbit 2, aka the best 2D platformer of all time! There's a race mode, and it supports up to 4 players in split screen.

hqdefault.jpg

I loved that game back when I had a Nokia 5200. It had some funny parts too, which was strange to see in a Doom game.

Space Harrier

Afterburner

Panzer Dragoon

Star Fox
I'll add Kid Icarus: Uprising to your list. The first half of each level is a flying on-rails sequence.

maxresdefault.jpg

PS1-era first-person shooters set in some sort of hovering vehicle

Blam! Machine Head

Tunnel B1

Defiance

Shadow Master
Does B-Hunter count? It has an optional first person camera.

458122-bh21.jpg

458121-bh16.jpg

Platy

I'll add Kid Icarus: Uprising to your list. The first half of each level is a flying on-rails sequence.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Sin & Punishment, specialy considering how PERFECT was Sin & Punishment 2 with pointer controls

nkarafo

Dungeon Keeper.

The only other game that plays like it is the sequel and another game called Evil Genius (i think)

Dungeon Keeper.

The only other game that plays like it is the sequel and another game called Evil Genius (i think)

If you include Evil Genius, that starts getting within range of Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Prison Architect, Gnomoria, and other DF imitators.

The define-areas-to-dig-out-and-furnish-and-watch-your-population-follow-orders genre.

mclem

Also Street Hacker, used to play this quite a bit, had some nasty game breaking bugs though.

XoOatvL.jpg

...why would a hacker want a 3D card? It's all about those ASCII terminals!

Assuming those are 'future specs' (in the context of when it was released), it's interesting to see that they're about right in a number of ways.

Shredderi

I love you OP! When I was a little kid we had a PC which had Skyroads on it and I had no idea what the game's name was and always wondered about it because I wanted to play it again!

Arena Platformer: A platformer that takes place on a single or small set of screens with a heavy emphasis on fighting.

Smash Brothers, Towerfall Ascension, Super Crate Box

Glowsquid

Übermatik;234230357 said:
Blam! was fucking great. Played the PC version though.

Yeah! It's a surprisingly good game. Sick soundtrack too.

3D platformer racers

Sonic R

Sonic-R-screenshot.jpg

Pen Pen Trilcelon

gfs_42689_2_6.jpg

Rayman Arena (aka Rayman M and Rayman Rush)

raymanarenagc_072502_1-421447.jpg

Mad Dash Racing (fun fax: this was Gex's last appearance...)

mad_dash5.jpg

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

Top Bottom