• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has no plans to release more Halo games on Steam at this time

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Halo: Spartan Assault launches April 4 on PC through Steam, marking the acclaimed franchise's debut on Valve's virtual marketplace, but don't expect more Halo games to follow.

"We have no further 'Halo' releases on Steam planned at this time," a Microsoft spokesperson told GameSpot.

Microsoft ported Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 to the PC, but all subsequent entries in the series have arrived only for consoles.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...elease-more-halo-games-on-steam/1100-6418613/

If they're going to test the waters, why pick Halo Spartan Assault. Surely that game won't sell many copies anyway, due to its lack of quality.

Why not test the waters by releasing Halo CE (the 2003 Gearbox port) on Steam? That would require extremely little effort, and would sell quite well I'd imagine. The game itself is held in high regard, and is not currently available anywhere digitally.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, all this means is the Halo trilogy is coming later. Also, there are other games you can release in its stead.

Waaghals

I don't think they have any intention of porting the other Halo games to PC.
They don't want anything to compete with the xbox platform. The fact that Halo 2 (and possible 3/Reach) are getting Xbone ports actually minimizes the chance that we are getting PC versions.

The "ease" of the ports is irrelevant if MS does not want to.

The first Halo was ported to PC/Mac because of contractual obligation. Halo 2 was ported for purely strategic reasons (pushing Windows Vista), and SA is a mobile game already available on Windows 8.

They want to use these games to sell Xboxes, not to make some money on Steam.

That said, I really want a PC version of Halo 3/Reach.

monome

lol.

I can't expect neither no PC ports nor actual PC ports.

that said, Halo is a multimedia IP now, compared to 10 years ago, so I suppose letting the grip over older games go can help build buzz for future and exclusive X1 endeavours.

Any MP associated with Halo 2A/3& ports is dead on arrival on X1. PC might offer the dedicated players a viable option to enjoy some MP Halo until 5 arrives.

Deadbeat

Banned
Guess you didnt pay attention to the whole steam database entries and all that, did you? Because they did have the intention at one time or another to release those games on steam.

Grief.exe

'No plans at this time'
Translation: We have plans, but no PR to release right now.

This seems to be Microsoft's go to phrase for reflecting. If something isn't happening, they say no.

Waaghals

Guess you didnt pay attention to the whole steam database entries and all that, did you? Because they did have the intention at one time or another to release those games on steam.

Oh I did, and I'm very certain that there were internal musing about making it. 343 was very quick to outright deny that they were bringing the games to PC.

Keep in mind that those are getting very old, and we should have heard something by now. I would love to be wrong though.

My argument is that the money MS would make by putting the games on PC is not as interesting as pushing the Xbox platform further. I.e. they gain more from keeping it Xbox exclusive than making it PC+Xbox. This is not a benefit for the consumer, but it might well be better for MS.

MS hasn't been serious on the PC for a good decade. All their ventures into the platform since then has been in order to achieve other strategic goals.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
They don't want anything to compete with the xbox platform. The fact that Halo 2 (and possible 3/Reach) are getting Xbone ports actually minimizes the chance that we are getting PC versions.

The "ease" of the ports is irrelevant if MS does not want to.

The first Halo was ported to PC/Mac because of contractual obligation. Halo 2 was ported for purely strategic reasons (pushing Windows Vista), and SA is a mobile game already available on Windows 8.

That said, I really want a PC version of Halo 3/Reach.
This. I love your enthusiasm, you guys. The only reason Halo: SA is coming to PC/Steam is because it's a mobile game, for W8 tablets/phones, they probably said what the hell let's throw it on Steam too, why not.

I do not expect them to port any of the main Halos, this is their flagship Xbox series, they don't want people to expect PC ports of it.

Grief.exe

My argument is that the money MS would make by putting the games on PC is not as interesting as pushing the Xbox platform further. I.e. they gain more from keeping it Xbox exclusive than making it PC+Xbox. This is not a benefit for the consumer, but it might well be better for MS.

It's not about bringing the new entries to PC, this is about releasing Halo games with previously existing PC ports on Steam.
That would not cannabalize console sales at all.

neither Halo or Halo 2 are available on digital distribution and they both need work, though the latter significantly more so.

GFWL is shutting down in July, Microsoft promised their answer to what was to be done with Halo 2 in early 2014. Spartan Assault's Steam release, continued development of AoE II/AoM, and Ms. splosion Man's GFWL removal gives me confidence that we will see a Steamworks version of Halo 2 at the very least.
Though they might as well throw in Halo 1/3 to earn some more brownie points.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
242.gif

Are PC gamers fans of Halo?

The first one was huge on PC at the time. Probably still is.

Yep. As a huge fan of the first one on PC this is why I became a Playstation guy. Microsoft isn't going to herd me into their machine.

Grief.exe

But grief said halo 3 coming to steam

Grief says a lot of things ;)

The reality is Halo 3 is probably not going to happen. Bringing over ODST/3 to Steam would go along way towards exonerating Microsoft for the past decade though.

Halo 1/2 are still looking like a strong possibility.

Plasma

Banned
They'll probably put them out after they've ported them to the Xbox One, they must have thought of doing it at some point because they popped up on the Steam registry.

ClearData

I don't see a reason the anniversary editions can't be ported over to PC. HD and good multiplayer would do wonders. But alas Microsoft and their head scratching maneuvers.

"At this time"

"At this time" eh?

'No plans at this time'
Translation: We have plans, but no PR to release right now.

This seems to be Microsoft's go to phrase for reflecting. If something isn't happening, they say no.

"at this time" ...

Yep, "at this time".

Translation: "Everything is possible, until we announce it."

"...at this time"

There is hope.

"at this time"

Testing the waters with the Halo game I am least likely to buy. :(

Unfortunately this is likely the case. They're going to release the shittiest Halo game to the largest group of informed gamers to gauge interest in the franchise.

Never underestimate the marketing geniuses at Microsoft.

Waaghals

It's not about bringing the new entries to PC, this is about releasing Halo games with previously existing PC ports on Steam.
That would not cannabalize console sales at all.

neither Halo or Halo 2 are available on digital distribution and they both need work, though the latter significantly more so.

GFWL is shutting down in July, Microsoft promised their answer to what was to be done with Halo 2 in early 2014. Spartan Assault's Steam release, continued development of AoE II/AoM, and Ms. splosion Man's GFWL removal gives me confidence that we will see a Steamworks version of Halo 2 at the very least.
Though they might as well throw in Halo 1/3 to earn some more brownie points.

The X360 Halo games will almost certainly get anniversary editions on Xbone. The will sell consoles to Halo fans. Remember that H5 apparently isn't coming this year. So yes, having Halo 3 on PC will cannibalize console sales. How much is up for debate.

The fact that MS is putting games on steam is more of a proof that they have washed their hands with the platform than anything else. If they were serious about PC gaming they would have launched their own (undoubtedly shitty) service. Mrs. Splosion man is not anything close to a system seller. neither is Spartan Assault.

If any of this makes me sound desperate I would like to reiterate that I would very much want these games on PC. I don't believe that the exclusivity I'm predicting exists is a benefit to gamers.

A steamworks version of Halo 2 is more likely, if only to avoid trouble when GFWL goes down.

Not that I wouldn't prefer to have Halo on Steam, but if Microsoft is trying to promote and get more users to use their own app store, it makes very little sense for them to release a Halo game on Steam when it's precisely the type of product that would attract new users to their own store.

Top Bottom