• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Teaser [Update 2: First Screenshots - New Class?]

Riposte

I didn't like Borderlands, but man, that art is fantastic.

Random question: Is it much harder to make textures like that?

looks great, but then again, these shots look just as clean as the screens for the first game.

so i expect a lot of aliasing, but oh well. hope we get to drive a mech, and i hope there's a class equivalent to the hunter.

dragonelite said:
No it not harder to make. The thicker lines are just a shader.

yeah, and the textures themselves are just made in a kind of comic book style semi-posterized look. might actually take just as much effort as a normal "realistic game" texture.

applying the shader is probably the easiest part. makes me want to play UT3 in cartoon mode. :p

mclaren777

Gearbox was showing a guided demo of Borderlands 2 at PAX this year and I took some notes...

• It was the PC version running on Nvidia hardware
• Similar AA to the first game (aliased black lines)
• Significant NPCs have clever intro videos like in B1
• Basically the exact same UI but it now has a mini-map
• Some enemies can throw environmental objects at you
• Tediore weapons allow you to throw guns/mags as grenades
• 'Bandit' is a new weapon manufacturer with very large mags
• Torque guns all have exploding bullets that are somewhat slow
• Vladorf guns all have rotating barrels with high rates of fire
• Psychos will now dodge and they can be tactically wounded
• Maya replaces Lilith as the Siren character, can phasewalk
• Kamikaze robots act like zombies (eg, crawl if legs missing)
• Gunzerker class cannot zoom while dual-wielding weapons
• Can still equip four weapons and they are paired for DWing

Could someone clarify what was bad about Borderlands on PC? Were the mouse controls fucked up? Because that's about the only thing that I can't let slide. I was contemplating getting it for the Steam sale, but I already had the GOTY on PS3 and recall complaining about the PC version so I'm curious.

Weenerz

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
Could someone clarify what was bad about Borderlands on PC? Were the mouse controls fucked up? Because that's about the only thing that I can't let slide. I was contemplating getting it for the Steam sale, but I already had the GOTY on PS3 and recall complaining about the PC version so I'm curious.

Gamespy was what was bad.

Rickenslacker said:

Not many customizable options. Small FOV. Terrible UI for mouse. Gamefly for multiplayer. Basically it's a console port.

Rickenslacker said:
Controls are perfectly fine other than the menus. Use the keyboard for those and you'll survive.

Most other stuff is fixable with some simple .ini file tweaks found on the borderlands wiki.

Ravage

They'll need to have way more enemy types and weapon effects this time. I got bored halfway through the first one (still one of the best co-op experience this gen).

Nelo Ice

Banned
Rickenslacker said:

just use this to fix the fov probs among other things like u can make crouch toggle disable the intro vids etc
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1085076

main thing thats annoying is haveting to press F10/11 everytime u start the game or exit a vehicle

Man its crazy how much of a 180 this IP took. Started out looking like a shitty UE3 job with a premise that seemed exaggerated. Hell they even missed out on simple things like screenshots on the website lol.

Then out of nowhere...blam. New art style, competent gameplay, great DLC...man oh man.

bengraven

I love Blands on PC.

I do agree that the keyboard based navigation of the UI is fucking ridiculous. I don't think I've even figured out how to scroll quest text when it's more than one page.

Dark FaZe said:
Man its crazy how much of a 180 this IP took. Started out looking like a shitty UE3 job with a premise that seemed exaggerated. Hell they even missed out on simple things like screenshots on the website lol.

Then out of nowhere...blam. New art style, competent gameplay, great DLC...man oh man.

I thought it would be a nice Diablo meets Mercenaries like dark freeroaming RPG shooter.

Turned out to be my game of that year.

Very excited for the next.

Unicorn

Dark FaZe said:

Yes. I was hyped for the game before the art changed, but damn, after that, hype reached critical mass.

Though, the PvP was a lot more underwhelming than I was expecting based on preview interviews.

Arena fights with very basic attributes and gun drops/props around the arena for people to grab and fight for would've made a lot better PvP experience than either the dome or the pitiful arenas that did exist. Fights just turned into whoever launched the hawk.

The M.O.B

The psychos being able to jump and climb things was so needed in the first one. So many times you could just jump on a high rock and just pick them off before they even start throwing their weapons at you.

The M.O.B said:
The psychos being able to jump and climb things was so needed in the first one. So many times you could just jump on a high rock and just pick them off before they even start throwing their weapons at you.

yea that's a great change so far.

Chesskid1

Banned
awesome. really love borderlands and doing a 2nd playthrough right now since i originally played it on launch. i remember it didn't have much replayability but i forgot much of the game by now. can't wait.

Top Bottom