• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

nickcv

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wii-u-sells-40k-units-in-the-uk-in-its-opening-weekend/0107419

new news new thread, so...

Nintendo’s Wii U console sold around 40,000 units in its first 48 hours on sale in the UK, MCV understands.

Retail sources suggest that effectively amounts to a complete sellout on the UK High Street. Stock is continuing to filter through to retail at a trickle but abundant supplies are not expected until the New Year.

Undoubtedly sales could have been considerably higher had stocks have been more plentiful.

Furthermore, MCV understands that the console has enjoyed a software attach rate in excess of 2:1.

The figures were arrived at through a combination of feedback from retailers and software sales data passed on by trade sources. Using this MCV was able to extrapolate estimated sales based on the previously confirmed Wii U bundle market shares.

The article is not totally correct or their is something missing. i doubt their is a sell out

Some other stats we estimated

credits - miladsen

360 - 70K
PS3 - 165K
Wii - 105K

First week sales as tracked by ChartTrack/GfK.

Wii U hardware:
Sold less then Vita
60% Nintendo Land Bundles.
30% ZombiU Bundles.
10% Basic

Wii U Software
Assassin's Creed III, 3% or 1618 copies.
Call of Duty Black Ops II 1%
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed 38%
Just Dance 4 3%

The only 3 games charting, there are no Wii U only charts on the site yet.
1- Nintendo Land* (rumored to be 26k on here)
2- New Super Mario Bros U
3- ZombiU*

*including hardware bundles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I really wouldnt bold that "sell out" claim. Its essentially completely untrue. Just need a UK Nintendo rep to Tretton this shit, and I can cash some mad fucking console bounty cheques.

All online stores, supermarkets and otherwise are rich with stock, and I can even nip into CEX stores across the country and pick up a unit right this second. So...

Pranay

The article is not totally correct or their is something missing. i doubt their is a sell out

Some other stats we estimated

credits - miladsen

360 - 70K
PS3 - 165K
Wii - 105K

Wii U hardware:
Sold less then Vita
60% Nintendo Land Bundles.
30% ZombiU Bundles.
10% Basic

Wii U Software

Just Dance 4 3%

The only 3 games charting, there are no Wii U only charts on the site yet.
1- Nintendo Land* (rumored to be 26k on here)
2- New Super Mario Bros U
3- ZombiU*

*including hardware bundles.

That's all the stock that was out there so it couldn't have done any better.

Makes sense for them to have an initially small stock allocation to start off with = "sell out" headlines.

In before 'but its in stock' - retailers on twitter said they had two shipments since launch and the third came today.

Moving onto the actual numbers. We'll see how it sells across 7 days, but if the games drop in charting next week alarm bells may ring a little bit.

2:1 is that including Nintendo Land? It says 'in excess' so thats good news.
Almost like exclusives were what sold...shock news at 1 :p

Just Dance 4 3%

38% is pretty great. Oddly Just Dance 4 on WiiU hasn't been advertised in the Just Dance adverts.
Interesting Creed>BLOPS2.

Neff

I'm surprised by how many people I know in the UK bought one, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it myself. The games are great, the Gamepad is great, Miiverse is a wonderful way to waste time.

SmokyDave

Makes sense for them to have an initially small stock allocation to start off with = "sell out" headlines.

Except that really doesn't seem to be the case by all accounts. It's in stock all over the place.

jonno394

So Zombiu sold a minimum of 12k due to bundles..... I wonder if the 2:1 is not including bundled software because if not that means only an additional 40 odd thousand games were sold over launch.

Skyzard

Banned

IRX32.jpg

Game..

Edit: Oh - new stock already? that was quick..

dc89

Sold out on the high street? Really? I can't say I can honestly provide evidence to contradict this but the Sainsbury's I was in yesterday had stock.

Or are supermarkets exempt from that statement?

SmokyDave

Retailers apparently got new shipments in already. At this point all we can do is wait till next week

Argos didn't run out at any point as far as I can tell. I was checking.

CEX have 91 pre-owned deluxe models in stock. That's really weird to my mind. Who buys a console and then sells it a day or two later? Just return it at that point.

jonno394

CEX have 91 pre-owned deluxe models in stock. That's really weird to my mind. Who buys a console and then sells it a day or two later? Just return it at that point.

I remember looking in CEX the day of the iPhone 5 launch and they already had second hand iPhone 5 in the window, people amaze me some times...

Roxas

I don't think there was ever a stock issue. All the way through launch week and over the weekend you could find a Wii U at most major online retailers. I went to town on the weekend and they had stock in GAME, HMV, Smyths, even PC World had them in.

Of course, it sounds better if you say that there were stock shortages though...

miksar

I believe the initial shipment was expected to be around 50K. So it is like in USA: not sold out, but sold quite well.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

To be fair, CEX managers and co frequently go out and buy new stock from other stores so their shelves are not missing the latest and greatest, and with a fair mark-up for that privelege!

I mean you can fuck around with the "effectively amounts to" part of that article where you can get "effectively amounts to dinosaurs still being alive" because we got crocodiles up in this swamp, but the parts that are rooted in Fiction with a capital Fucko are "woulda sold more with more stock" and "not expected to be in abundant supply until...". Thats just runny bullshit trickling from the MCV gutters. Christmas shopping season, new hardware, a Mario game at launch: in stock everywhere except Grainger Games. Ooooooops!!!

"complete sellout on the UK High Street"

From the article. MCV are implying that they have sources saying it is a sellout. It isn't. I have retail sources saying they are piling up in stockrooms.

Depends on the location I suspect. Amazon UK are already saying no stock till tommorrow.
So different sources probably have different experiences I guess.

EDIT: I don't think supply is affecting sales; am just putting out facts really. More interested in how much of the initial shipment was sold.
Its not going to suddenly take off after New Year as stocks come in. So MCV is being bollocky there.

Ashes

Banned
Sold out on the high street? Really? I can't say I can honestly provide evidence to contradict this but the Sainsbury's I was in yesterday had stock.

Or are supermarkets exempt from that statement?

Nah, It's available at a lot of the e-retailers it looks like. It's just pr.

These are the relevant comparison figures:

360 - 70K
PS3 - 165K
Wii - 105K

acm2000

please ignore MCV, wiiu is NOT out of stock

we all know theyre trash these days

Psychotext said:
It's MCV. They're pretty much just an industry cheerleader at this point.

this, this, this

MCV talking out of their arse as usual. 40K isn't great, and it's most certainly not sold out here.

The Wii sold 105K at launch here and the 360 sold 70K.

Chili

"complete sellout on the UK High Street"

From the article. MCV are implying that they have sources saying it is a sellout. It isn't. I have retail sources saying they are piling up in stockrooms.

Perhaps they are using the term 'the UK High Street' literally rather than figuratively and it is, in fact, sold out on a particular High Street in the UK.

Depends on the location I suspect. Amazon UK are already saying no stock till tommorrow.

Only on the Deluxe model, Amazon have the basic in stock and if I order within 3 hours I can have it by tomorrow.

It's not a sell out. Keep spinning.

Floex

I posted this in another topic but seems more relevant here

By the way the Wii-U isn't sold out in the uk, plenty of places still to buy, online and off. MCV is turning out to be utter joke with its head deeply buried in denial

The 'journal' from that article was also part of the recent Dorito-gate scandal

A poster on GRcade posted places currently available to buy a wiiU

MCV is just utter trash

Ashes

Banned

EDIT: I don't think supply is affecting sales; am just putting out facts really. More interested in how much of the initial shipment was sold.
Its not going to suddenly take off after New Year as stocks come in. So MCV is being bollocky there.

Amazon are the only ones who are said to have problems with Nintendo right?

The launch isn't even on their home page.

MCV article.

2:1 ratio would be very interesting if it ends up being true though. Need those 3rd parties to clamber to get WiiU games on the shelves. Ubisoft deserve rewarding for their efforts at launch.

jonno394

MCV talking out of their arse as usual. 40K isn't great, and it's most certainly not sold out here.

The Wii sold 105K at launch here and the 360 sold 70K.

That was also 6 years ago.

I think Nintendo are being burned by a few things:

1) Limited Marketing
2) Though the Wii Sold in the bucket load, the stigma attached to it about being for casuals, and not feauturing the large third party games is one that the Wii U will have to fight to shake off. I know many people who started gaming with teh Wii, and got bored of it and "graduated" to a PS3 or an xbox. I don't think it's safe to assume that people who bought a Wii will automatically want a Wii U..

ghst

thanks for the laugh
if anyone in the UK wants to capitalise on this total sellers market i've got a hook up with a secret supplier and i can get you one for only a 100% markup + postage.

with only 40k units available available to a population of 60 million in a country that went bananas over the wii, you're sure to make a killing.

Top Bottom