• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik

mik is unbeatable
corrosivefrost said:
I want to use 4... Any chance of getting the Playstation Network (rear) layer dropped? Or sending me the psd for 4 so I can turn it off myself? :)
Here ya go.

Can I ask a question? I'm a little confused on a lot of these. I thought the point was to not just create great box arts but to get rid of the annoying logos that do cover up some of the great art. So why do people insist on putting large XBOX 360, PS3, Playstation Network, etc logos on the things? It sort of seems to defeat the purpose entirely.

salromano said:
Where can I find the templates for the PS3 flat and 3D boxes? I'm bored, so I'll give creation a go.

If you scour the early posts you can find most of the templates.

The 3D box art stuff is in a post by Rengoku -- if you look through my posts in this thread, you'll see I ask a couple times where it is -- it's in the top of one of his posts with new templates for PSP and 3DS I think. You need a newer version of Photoshop to run the script to get the 3D boxart to generate, I believe Rengoku said he's only tested it on Photoshop CS5.

Template post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20187033&postcount=253
3D boxart post: http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=30253645&postcount=862

salromano

corrosivefrost said:
If you scour the early posts you can find most of the templates.

The 3D box art stuff is in a post by Rengoku -- if you look through my posts in this thread, you'll see I ask a couple times where it is -- it's in the top of one of his posts with new templates for PSP and 3DS I think. You need a newer version of Photoshop to run the script to get the 3D boxart to generate, I believe Rengoku said he's only tested it on Photoshop CS5.

Template post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20187033&postcount=253
3D boxart post: http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=30253645&postcount=862

Hrm, getting an error with the PSD link in the template post. Could someone rehost?

salromano

Managed to find the template on VGBoxArt. Here's my Tales of Xillia box -- for when it comes out next month.

Yellow PS3 Logos

untitled-5kcyh.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?oo7nkn6198135a2

Green PS3 Logos

tox22rq1.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?i2ikc1nyz9zzfxo

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
grap3fruitman said:
Can I ask a question? I'm a little confused on a lot of these. I thought the point was to not just create great box arts but to get rid of the annoying logos that do cover up some of the great art. So why do people insist on putting large XBOX 360, PS3, Playstation Network, etc logos on the things? It sort of seems to defeat the purpose entirely.
Well, originally the point was to convert old PS3 covers to new ones when they changed the design. But I guess now it's a general purpose alternate cover thread (and the title should probably reflect that).

It probably would be better to release PSD files or whatever GIMP uses so people can edit out the logos and stuff if they want.

Also, anybody have a high res white Lost Odyssey logo? Have the third and forth discs in different cases and need to make a cover for that. Could also still use that standard GCN Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance cover/high-res scan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SamuraiX- said:
That concept art was just begging to be a cover.

Awesome job!

Damn! Love this one!

I can't remember, was MGO sold as a standalone title?
I don't know about the US, but i have a copy of the JP standalone version

Canova

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
When it's not 4 in the morning, it' easy to debug. ;)
Seems the problem was coming from the fact that I had used blending options on the layers with the logos in them... I had started copying the existing PSD into a new one, bit by bit and trying the 3D preview script afterward... When I had a black cover with the two logos and dropshadows and it broke, I realized it had to be something the dropshadows were causing, even if it didn't make sense. I dropped the dropshadows and created a copy of each logo layer which was not touched by blending FX and now it works -- so here's a note for anyone who's going to use it possibly (Canova, etc.)

NOTE: There are two images linked below, marked wolverine.png and wolverine.with.dropshadow.png. The difference is whether or not the PNG was exported with the layers having the dropshadows added (logos). The preview is for wolverine.png, but if you think the logos don't pop enough, check out the wolverine.with.dropshadows.png

original: http://www.mediafire.com/?f539c48c5mbm5ps
dropshadow: http://www.mediafire.com/?srt21xwhbt2sr4h

thanks corrosivefrost, I'll print it up in my next batch

Canova said:
thanks corrosivefrost, I'll print it up in my next batch

Hope it comes out great! :)
If I get the chance/motivation and the hurricane doesn't blow my house down, maybe I'll try a Spiderman one for you too.

--

Valru, good start on the SSF4 cover -- I've been looking for the proper artwork to make into one but haven't found anything that screams at me to use it yet so I've been doing other covers in the meantime. Good job!

grap3fruitman said:

I think it's kind of turned into a preference thing. I personally like having the blackbar at the top of PS3 boxes but I know some people dont. Some like having certain logos while others just want the PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP/etc logo and nothing else.

Canova

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

wow great.

now i have at least one incentive to buy the game...once it drops to 20 bucks

corrosivefrost said:
Hope it comes out great! :)
If I get the chance/motivation and the hurricane doesn't blow my house down, maybe I'll try a Spiderman one for you too.

--

yes, please do, it will get printed too, I promise

Theman2k

OK this thread ROCKS!
Maybe someone can make a quick photoshop tut on making these covers, and another good tut on printing them out and making them look like the original covers.

Can't wait to print some covers :D

Thanks guys for these amazing covers.

BumRush

With the hurricane almost here I decided to pop into a few new threads today...this one DID NOT disappoint. You guys are so unbelievably talented. I'm printing some of these as we speak.

Mithos

Rengoku said:
Well, they hired Patryk Olejniczak who did all those ME2 fan art. That fem shep cover is done by him and will be the CE cover.
Hmm, his previous art was awesome, guess he cant succeed every time. =/

Edit:
And yeah, that seems to be the public opinion over at Bioware forums too.

Canova said:
wow great.

now i have at least one incentive to buy the game...once it drops to 20 bucks

yes, please do, it will get printed too, I promise

Agree completely on DmC -- if the reviews are good and it's worthy of owning, I'll buy it at a low price and use that cover. ;)

Any specific requests for the Shattered Dimensions stuff?

Tried out Rengoku's RDR 360 cover.

Did it on Epson Premium Photo paper with a £60 printer.

Results were glorious :bow :bow

This thread needs a reboot quick to rejuvenate interest. It's the best on GAF, so hot right now.

RedSwirl

corrosivefrost said:
ngsmr56.png

Not feeling it -- I couldn't find a good logo/font for the spine... and NGS artwork seems to be hard to find. :(

Actually, the more I look at it, it's not bad... I'll export the PNG in a minute and update my post.

The art looks perfect. Just need to find a good spine logo.

Rengoku

corrosivefrost said:
Not feeling it -- I couldn't find a good logo/font for the spine... and NGS artwork seems to be hard to find. :(

Actually, the more I look at it, it's not bad... I'll export the PNG in a minute and update my post.

Theres a weird purple glow at the bottom of the cover, is that intentional?

Stumpokapow said:
The new OP would have a link to this thread, it'd have some example covers, and it'd have template / printing instructions. Please remind people to save in .PNG. A second post would also be useful, cataloguing what was posted in this thread. This doesn't necessarily need thumbnails, it can just be a list of links.

I'd like to see something like this happen, too, especially the cataloging part. It'd make it a whole lot easier finding a cover for a specific game if they're all listed in a directory as opposed to going through each page with my fingers crossed.

Penguin nerd said:
Just noticed that. Sticks out a lot. Looks like it might be the blue background of the psd not covered up fully?

Yup... showing my lack of sleep. Nice catch. Time to go fix it. :lol
Also probably doesn't help I'm working on a netbook with a 10" display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom