• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FY14 Q1: $220 million profit, Battlefield Premium hits 4 million

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The call will be incoming in less than an hour.

Not too much news yet.

EA said:
GAAP Net Income $ 222

---

Electronic Arts Reports Q1 FY14 Financial Results
Q1 Non-GAAP Net Revenue and EPS Results Exceed Guidance
Q1 Non-GAAP Digital Net Revenue Up 17% Versus Prior Year
EA Signs Publishing Agreement with TenCent for FIFA Online 3 in China

EA Received 116 Awards from Over 220 Industry Nominations at E3
Category:
Company News
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:05 pm PDT
EmailPDFPrintRSSShareThis
"We are reaffirming our annual non-GAAP guidance of $4 billion net revenue and $1.20 earnings per share."

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced preliminary financial results for its first fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2013.

“EA had a solid quarter driven by continued digital growth and disciplined cost management,” said Executive Chairman Larry Probst. “We are also executing on a clear set of goals for leadership on mobile, PC, current and next generation consoles.”

“EA delivered first quarter EPS above our guidance through a combination of revenue growth, phasing of expenses, and cost control,” said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen. “We are reaffirming our annual non-GAAP guidance of $4 billion net revenue and $1.20 earnings per share.”

This release, along with ongoing updates regarding EA’s business, is available on EA’s blog at http://ea.com/news.

Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics:
*On a non-GAAP basis

EA was the #1 publisher in Western retail markets in calendar year 2013, and the #1 global publisher in the iOS game market in the June quarter.
EA received 116 E3 awards from over 220 industry nominations, including 8 out of 15 awards from the official E3 Game Critics. Battlefield 4™ won a total of 21 awards at E3, including GameSpot’s Best of E3 award, Need for Speed™ Rivals was named Best Racing Game, and NHL® 14 took the honors for Best Sports Game. Titanfall™ from Respawn Entertainment won six major awards, including Best of Show, Best Original Game, Best Console Game, Best PC Game, Best Action Game and Best Online Multiplayer.
The Simpsons™: Tapped Out recorded its highest revenue quarter* in Q1 since launching in August 2012.
EA’s mobile and handheld digital revenue generated $103 million* in the quarter, a 30% year-over-year increase in digital net revenue.
Real Racing™ 3, the #1 racing title on iOS, has generated more than 45 million downloads, and has averaged over 2 million daily active users since launching in March.
The Battlefield 3™ Premium community continues to grow with over 4 million members to date.
FIFA 13 digital net revenue topped $70 million* in the quarter, a 92% increase versus FIFA 12 in Q1 FY 2013.
FIFA Online 3 digital net revenue in grew 88%* in the first quarter compared FIFA Online 2 in the prior year, and was the #1 online sports game in Korea based on revenue and traffic.

EA signs publishing agreement with TenCent for FIFA Online 3 in China, with details to be announced in an upcoming joint press release from EA and TenCent.
EA’s Origin™ platform for downloading digital games has registered over 50 million users, including 22 million mobile users.
Trailing twelve-month non-GAAP digital net revenue was up 28% to a record $1.72 billion*.
Source: http://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/electronic-arts-reports-q1-fy14-financial-results

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if EA is ever going to get a new CEO. Seems like its been a while since JR left.

I suspect either Larry won't move from the spot until he's satisfied with the execution of the direction he wants them to go, or they're just waiting for the annual shareholder meeting that's happening quite soon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if they even mention Fuse in the call or just pretend that game never existed

The only thing they mentioned about it in the last call was that they expected it to do worse than the week 5-19 sales of Mass Effect 3, so I suspect they will go with shoving it under the rug and reaffirming that they're focusing on more profitable endeavors if they mentioned it at all.

Well well well...

Presumably Sim City tail end and the SWTOR expac.

Surprised that PC is number one with FUSE being a console exclusive.
tumblr_lv8k94StL31qe5h9ao1_500.gif

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Didn't they sell off a bunch of stuff and lay off 20% of their employees last quarter ?

Welcome to the world of US public companies where company leadership is required by law to prioritize shareholder returns above all else.

Didn't one of their employees, in bashing Wii U, and in response to criticism directed at Origin, say that PC is a tiny market for them?
Especially after the "cheapening intellectual property" gaffe you should have realized by now that what random EA employees say ends up being the complete opposite of what actually happens.

Odrion

Banned
Man, that PC cash. Goes to show you how important it was for them to create Origin and keep all their profits.

johnny956

Digital revenue breakdown for the quarter:

Full game download: 37 million
extra content: 177 million
subs/ads/other: 61 million
mobile/HH: 103 million

Shows why EA is leaning more and more towards F2P/DLC considering extra content and mobile make up the majority of their digital revenue.

Especially after the "cheapening intellectual property" gaffe you should have realized by now that what random EA employees say ends up being the complete opposite of what actually happens.
haha, I think I missed that one! "cheapening intellectual property"?

Shows why EA is leaning more and more towards F2P/DLC considering extra content and mobile make up the majority of their digital revenue.

That's very interesting, very very interesting. Do we have a breakdown of digital revenue by platform?

Where is iOS?

Odrion

Banned

Jesus christ. That "extra content" profit. Holy shit. We talk so bad about DLC and API mechanics being terrible for the consumer and how it'll "destroy gaming" but we have no idea how big of suckers we all are for it. We deserve the worst.

Yeah, the difference between the first (Origin, Steam, other digital venues) and the second number (DLC) is huge. They win almost five times more with DLC from retail games.

Battlefield 3 is basically a 100 dollar online shooter. No doubt they're rolling in the dough.

Still stunned by them releasing BF3 for PS+ on both US and EU.

Then again, even I considered Premium without even owning the game outright. Would have spent almost full price anyway by doing that.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

EA is one of the few traditional publishers who invested heavily in digital distribution early. They have had strong growth there and are reaping the rewards now while other publishers are struggling in this area.

It takes years to build a strong digital business and portfolio (if you can't afford to just buy one like Activision).

johnny956

haha, I think I missed that one! "cheapening intellectual property"?

That's very interesting, very very interesting. Do we have a breakdown of digital revenue by platform?

Yes

PC 144 million
Console 131 million
Smart phone/Tablet 90 million
Feature phone/other 13 million

Y'know. Not really. there's still more vanilla BF3 servers than anything else, and you get your $50 worth out of all the expansion packs.

I guess you're right. Premiem is aggressive shown as being the better, but the vanilla online experience is great too. Sadly no motorbikes though!

Yasae

Banned
Battlefield 3 is basically a 100 dollar online shooter. No doubt they're rolling in the dough.

Still stunned by them releasing BF3 for PS+ on both US and EU.

Then again, even I considered Premium without even owning the game outright. Would have spent almost full price anyway by doing that.
From what I saw it was the same map packs ordeal from CoD (?) Way, way overpriced but reasonable on sale.

Whereas Valve releases maps for TF2..... And they cost...... Nothing..... And their game is free to play.......

But they don't need the money.

Top Bottom