• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Zaverious

Reminds me that people still hang on the belief that Ansem's Guardian is actually Eraqus' darkness protecting Terra. Guardian is most likely just some monster Ansem summons but I wouldn't mind that being what it is.

Malyse

What SE would like you to think the KH Timeline is
tumblr_okblxdvsmg1tqwe9zo2_1280.jpg

What the KH timeline actually is
tumblr_okblxdvsmg1tqwe9zo1_1280.jpg

Malyse

Alright, I just finished watching Back Door. Does this cover everything in KH chi?

HA HA NOPE. It barely covered what did happen. Back Cover is a supplement that assumes you've been playing the game at least a little. They didn't even get to the war.

Aquova

HA HA NOPE. It barely covered what did happen. Back Cover is a supplement that assumes you've been playing the game at least a little. They didn't even get to the war.

Well then, my second question is... how much of that actually matters? 90% of the movie was 5 people being overly dramatic at each other, and only the last bit with Lux actually seems to have real implications to the rest of the series.

Malyse

Well then, my second question is... how much of that actually matters? 90% of the movie was 5 people being overly dramatic at each other, and only the last bit with Lux actually seems to have real implications to the rest of the series.
(my assumption based on how Nomura seems to think)
It's setting up a lot of backstory for the games after the Dark Seeker plot concludes. Xehanort is tied into the whole mess with Luxu and Ysuper and the No Name keyblade, but the goal of KH3 is just stopping him. We could very well be heading into a Mistborn/TTGL"Nice job breaking it, Hero" where ending Xehanort makes things actually worse for everyone else, but you're mainly looking at something not big in KH3. Probably it will all matter, but they are breadcrumbing the fuck out the [chi] series story. We're in the fourth goddamn year and we still don't know why [chi] and Unchained are different other than "Nomura said they were"

Alright, I just finished watching Back Door. Does this cover everything in KH chi?
presumably if any further important stuff comes along there'll be another movie to summarize the plot points, or it'll be covered in sufficient depth during the real games

NateDog

What do people that didn't play the mobile game(s) need to see to catch up on? I've seen a few videos on YT saying they have all the scenes from Unchained X, is that enough?

botty

Banned
my thoughts on 0.2 / back cover...

0.2 made me realize how much I miss sora, and how awful the story is outside of the KH1/Kh2/Days/CoM collective. At least the gameplay in Kh3 will be enjoyable if it's similar to the patched version of 0.2 I kinda like the puzzles, too.

Back Cover was terrible. But then again anything that relates to Chi/X is terrible. The only good thing about these games are that they can be cash cows to finance better Kingdom Hearts projects with some actual consequence and depth. I could not get invested into any of these faceless characters, nor do I care to see what becomes of them and their efforts.

Sometimes Lore is best left alone and should remain untapped.

Going back to Sora — I really, really appreciate how simple the character is in his desires and ambitions. Roxas is the complex character I enjoy, but we only ever get him in small doses -- which works for the series better. Oh well.

2.8 is definitely not worth $60.

NateDog

I suspect that Unchained will last until KH3 comes and a new mobile game replaces it.
That long? Do you think the story will continue to be developed on that long?

Did you just use the words "schedule" and "Square" in the same sentence?
I just can't disagree here unfortunately. Honestly though I figured they would have at least decided to end the story sections of the game at one point, but then again this is Kingdom Hearts we're talking about I suppose (and perhaps the game doesn't exactly work like that, I have no idea how it does work though and don't really intend on looking into it).

Malyse

The "story" of X will be "developed" as long as the cash flows in.
That's unfortunately what happened to the browser game. Of course there was also
a lot of bad timing on that too. It was in the process of being localized, when the company doing it fell apart and the Japanese only audience wasn't enough to sustain the game, particularly when you look at how much more money the mobile version was bringing in. Looking at the data files for [chi] makes it clear that there was even more they planned on including before the shut down and the ending was super abrupt too. Like, "a few weeks later" "a few months later" type abrupt.

Burbeting

Banned
Re:Com really hammers it home how much of an asset recycle it is. They didn't even try to hide it (partly since it was a free game with KH2FM, I guess).

I'm trying a lvl 1 run of KH2, and the last few bosses I beat because Mickey saved me. That probably doesn't bode well for the rest of the game.

I would be a lot more interested in figuring out proper boss strategies if the game had a retry option. That's the only thing that keeps it from being flawless to me.

sora87

Terra's final boss in bbs is an annoying asshole eh? It's so annoying because everything was a breeze until now. I just wanna move on to 2.8 damnit :(

zeemumu

Terra's final boss in bbs is an annoying asshole eh? It's so annoying because everything was a breeze until now. I just wanna move on to 2.8 damnit :(

It's a test of patience. You're essentially fighting yourself, so you need to play the counter game and abuse the hell out of your invincibility during your shot lock and counter hammer

sora87

It's a test of patience. You're essentially fighting yourself, so you need to play the counter game and abuse the hell out of your invincibility during your shot lock and counter hammer

Yeah, i'm probably underleveled considering I've gone through his story super fast. And i suck at blocking so the stupid homing missiles and boulders destroy me. My shotlock isn't always ready to cheese through them. Blurgh.

botty

Banned
So... is it safe to say parts of Aqua's section in Blank Points have been retconned?

I rewatched it, and Aqua being completely oblivious does not make sense given 0.2

Given how much retconning and make-up-as-you-go that's been happening since Dream Drop Distance, I can't imagine the damage 3 will do to the Kingdom Hearts mythos.

Tsunamo

0.2's a pretty fun game to speedrun. Short, but enough segments that you have to memorize quite a bit and there's quite alot of room for improvement.
CoM because it means you have to play CoM.
The game itself isn't bad. But playing it three times, with both characters, having to get every card which is partly based on rng for drops and get characters to level 100 on a game where enemys aren't really built to give you enough exp to do that?

That breaks a person.
And i'll still do it again for 1.5+2.5 and regret it immediately after
So... is it safe to say parts of Aqua's section in Blank Points have been retconned?

I rewatched it, and Aqua being completely oblivious does not make sense given 0.2

Given how much retconning and make-up-as-you-go that's been happening since Dream Drop Distance, I can't imagine the damage 3 will do to the Kingdom Hearts mythos.
Makes sense to me. 0.2 was set around the original Kingdom Hearts, about 2 years have passed since then in the real world and the dark realm operates on a time of its own so Aqua wouldn't know what was going on in the outside world again.

Her crying at hearing Sora makes even more sense considering Mickey was looking for him and Riku. Asking if it was Terra or Ven feels like a bit of a semi-retcon though, but it still kinda fits. Bit of a shame they didn't redo the whole scene in 0.2 rather than just the intro.
I think it's quite clever when you figure it out. The whole game you're on the offensive and you have to shiftup what you've learned throughout the game and instead take a defensive appoach. Takes awhile to get the hang of, but when it does it clicks perfectly.

zeemumu

I think it's quite clever when you figure it out. The whole game you're on the offensive and you have to shiftup what you've learned throughout the game and instead take a defensive appoach. Takes awhile to get the hang of, but when it does it clicks perfectly.

Honestly BBS is one of the few games in the series that forces you to rethink your strategy to fight the final boss. When I went to fight Ansem SOD in KH1 and Xemnas in KH2 I didn't have to go back and grind for better abilities. I don't remember if I did for DDD. I just remember being confused because the game kept going every time I thought I had beaten the last boss. It's like the Lord of the Rings ending of boss battles.

CoM does this as well because you can get through a lot of the bosses just by pre-arranging your cards for instant sleights, but the last boss can fly, which makes some of your best sleights useless.

The Osaka team games are generally less great about moment to moment combat but very good about letting the ability setup you bring into battle matter a lot (though I'd argue that KH2FM also does a good job with that as far as Keyblades go, the AP budgeting system from KH1/2 is something I won't miss if KH3 does away with it).

Malyse

Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] and Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover runs concurrently with events of Kingdom Hearts χ.
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Blank Points begins
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days begins during events at the end of Kingdom Hearts.
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-'s primary story runs concurrently with the events of Kingdom Hearts.
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days runs concurrently with events of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ends
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts coded
Signs of What's Next
Destiny
Blank Points ends
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Another Guardian of Light
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -a fragmentary passage- (Beginning and Ending scenes)
Kingdom Hearts III

KH's timeline is kinda bullshit and we still need to slot Unchained Season 2 in there somewhere.

-----

Kingdom-Hearts-III_2017_02-18-17_001.jpg

----

Seth%20Tweet%20Feb%2016.png

I'm watching a video of the mysterious figure boss in BBS; they're playing Aqua, but all they do is dodge roll around the area. Is that all you can do in that fight?

Top Bottom