• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

The handling was very good with a wheel, but gamepad support was not the best.
No it wasn't, it absolutely wasn't and the physics need to change if they don't want the sim-racing crowd to shit on the game. There is no other PC sim with such a almost unanimous bad reception of feel and physics-realism as pCARS 1 among people who have been sim racing for a long time.
Look at the comments at racedepartment.com under articles for iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Automobilista and RaceRoom - the overall tone is always positiv except for pCARS. Sim racing's most watched youtuber Matt Orr even made a video saying that there won't be more pCARS videos despite of all the views he could get (and I think he covers all other current-day sims).

Not saying you're not allowed to like the game's handling with a wheel, but don't generalize that opinion.

DXMGT

Banned
No it wasn't, it absolutely wasn't and the physics need to change if they don't want the sim-racing crowd to shit on the game. There is no other PC sim with such a almost unanimous bad reception of feel and physics-realism as pCARS 1 among people who have been sim racing for a long time.
Look at the comments at racedepartment.com under articles for iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Automobilista and RaceRoom - the overall tone is always positiv except for pCARS. Sim racing's most watched youtuber Matt Orr even made a video saying that there won't be more pCARS videos despite of all the views he could get (and I think he covers all other current-day sims).

Not saying you're not allowed to like the game's handling with a wheel, but don't generalize that opinion.

I've played all those games. To me Pcars is not a hardcore simulator like those games, I feel they went for a kind of inbetween, between Iracing and GT/Forza.

I original thought it was going to be a spiritual successor to GTR2 which is why I funded the game in the first place, but clearly over months and demo builds I tried it was not the case. But even so I still really enjoyed Pcars physics with my wheel, especially the GT3 cars which had the best feel of the bunch IMO, some of the road cars are definitely odd feeling but I love the feel of plenty of the race cars and with the best track selection out there it made for a great game.

And not sure why you are linking me a video of Emptybox, he is entitled to his opinion and I am entitled to mine. And I'm not even sure what "but don't generalize that opinion" means.

And not sure why you are linking me a video of Emptybox, he is entitled to his opinion and I am entitled to mine. And I'm not even sure what "but don't generalize that opinion" means.

1) I don't really know either. Usually youtubers cover the games that get them views, pCARS would get views, but views wasn't enough to make him play the game. Forget it, wasn't a good argument.

2) It means "the handling is good with a wheel" states it as a fact. Of course it's just your opinion and everybody who will read that here knows that, but not adding "in my opinion"/"to me" to that opinion adds a certain weight to it, like "everyone usually agrees to this", which I really don't think is the case with pCARS' handling. Even Mascot here, who probably had more fun with pCARS than any other gaffer I know, would say that the handling didn't feel good across the board and is far better in some cars than others.

DXMGT

Banned
1) I don't really know either. Usually youtubers cover the games that get them views, pCARS would get views, but views wasn't enough to make him play the game. Forget it, wasn't a good argument.

2) It means "the handling is good with a wheel" states it as a fact. Of course it's just your opinion and everybody who will read that here knows that, but not adding "in my opinion"/"to me" to that opinion adds a certain weight to it, like "everyone usually agrees to this", which I really don't think is the case with pCARS' handling. Even Mascot here, who probably had more fun with pCARS than any other gaffer I know, would say that the handling didn't feel good across the board and is far better in some cars than others.

Of course It's not fact, I just really don't want to type IMO after everything I say, and I'm not sure why you have a problem with that. Pcars is far from perfect, but I really like the way the game feels with a wheel. Is it super realistic? No. But it's fun and feels right.

imo

fresquito

Don't make me laugh. The sim racing crowd was telling me in my yt videos the game was an arcade because camera config... a year before release. The sim racing crowd is that crowd that forced Kunos to make AC more unrealistic because it was too easy at some point. The sim racing crowd play gt cars without aids, despite real drivers using them in real life. Don't get me wrong, PC1 has a lot of pitfalls, but don't try to sell the sim racing crowd as any kind of standard for objective judgement, please. PC was hated long before release, specially by the AC fanboys that plague any PC community just to tell PC fans how wrong they are.

Of course It's not fact, I just really don't want to type IMO after everything I say, and I'm not sure why you have a problem with that. Pcars is far from perfect, but I really like the way the game feels with a wheel. Is it super realistic? No. But it's fun and feels right.
Maybe that's the teacher in me, but think of the casual player who plays Gran Turismo, tried pCARS with a pad and didn't like it. Now you come around and tell him "it's very good with a wheel", he could easily think that it's not just your personal opinion. I mean if a lot of people you know would have a different opinion and wouldn't like it with a wheel, you would have said something like "I liked it with a wheel"(works without "imo" too) and not used a generalizing "it's very good", wouldn't you?

And just so you know it's not personal or fanboyism, I too had moments where pCARS surprised me with how right it felt (let's not talk about how many different settings from other people on the net I tried though ;).

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The Sim Racing crowd was fairly split on Project Cars between those that liked it, and those that thought that if a car wasn't "close to impossible to drive fast" it wasn't a "sim", which seems ridiculous to me for the tin top racing, I've done track days in fast cars, it's not as hard as some simracers make out.

The split seemed to be between those that saw iRacing as realistic and the benchmark for how difficult a sim should be, and anything else is just dumbed down, and those that got something out of ISI sims. A lot of them dropped it early due to development pace and the time some of the fixes needed to make it in, and quite a few dropped it because of the method used for triple screen support being lacklustre, but the actual driving model itself was not as widely criticized as the other aspects. Shame as the last patches really made it a great racing sim, but too late for a lot of people.

I personally love it, love the fact that it was very TOCA-ish in the tin-tops and came close to my own track day experiences, and my sim racing history goes back to GPL, the grandfather of all "impossible to drive" sims and everything imbetween :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Never-before-seen concepts"? Hmm?

Are these manufacturer partnerships like Vision Gran Turismo, video game debuts of concept cars or what?

saladine1

The main problem with the sim community and sim games in general is the tired notion that if it's too easy to drive then it isn't realistic. If the cars don't slide around like your driving on ice, then it isn't realistic.

While the 'ice skating' feel might apply to older cars with vintage suspensions and vintage tyres, when it comes to modern cars with modern tyres with modern aides, then that whole notion of 'too easy' gets thrown out the window.
I've kept up with feedback from 'handling consultants' i.e pro drivers' who provide input on the cars in the game. They have their own threads (5 guys if i'm not mistaken) and provide ridiculously detailed impressions, ideas, testing, feedback, suggestions..etc. I mean, really long and meticulous detail, really technical shit beyond most people's understanding. Earlier feedback regarding physics and handling, suggested, that that the cars didn't feel like they had enough grip....and these were GT3 cars in this instance!

Anyway, for me, SHIFT and Pcars were 'authentic' games that provided me with some great entertainment over the years despite all the shit the game had going for it. The controller bullshit for one, should not have been an issue and turned a lot of guys off, including myself. I couldn't believe they let that slip into the game.
SMS have a LOT of work to do in regards to assuring players that shit like that will be a thing of the past. They NEED to address players concerns no matter how much they might not want to if they intend on bringing people back in and winning back their confidence in the game and in SMS in general......good luck to them..

paskowitz

IMO, pCARS physics/FFB (which are intrinsically intertwined) were objectively bad. The main problem is the communication of what the car is doing through the wheel. If I can't sense what the car is doing, and then react in a way that naturally addresses that "moment"... then you simply don't have a realistic simulation no matter what is going on under the hood.

Games like AC may have unrealistic grip levels. Too much, too little... whatever. But how that grip responds and reacts to input is, IMO, more natural. Same with iRacing. When I mess up in iRacing, it may seem harsh or "too sharp", but 8/10 times I understand why I messed up or lost control. In pCARS, I frequently loose control with no logical explanation or warning.

To make matters more confusing, many cars in pCARS have absolutely no edge. A GT86 is a really easy car to drive aggressively IRL. But that does not mean I should be able to saw at the wheel, slam the brakes and never spin out.

I have no confidence when I drive in pCARS and therefor I do not find it enjoyable (or realistic).

One final note, cars are a lot easier to drive in real life because you have all the g-forces and noises, and senses telling you what the car is doing. You are then reacting to those input instinctively (assuming you know what you are doing). Driving in a sim is kinda like throwing a baseball with a numb hand (maybe a bit extreme of an example... but whatever).

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The main problem with the sim community and sim games in general is the tired notion that if it's too easy to drive then it isn't realistic. If the cars don't slide around like your driving on ice, then it isn't realistic.

While the 'ice skating' feel might apply to older cars with vintage suspensions and vintage tyres, when it comes to modern cars with modern tyres with modern aides, then that whole notion of 'too easy' gets thrown out the window.
I've kept up with feedback from 'handling consultants' i.e pro drivers' who provide input on the cars in the game. They have their own threads (5 guys if i'm not mistaken) and provide ridiculously detailed impressions, ideas, testing, feedback, suggestions..etc. I mean, really long and meticulous detail, really technical shit beyond most people's understanding. Earlier feedback regarding physics and handling, suggested, that that the cars didn't feel like they had enough grip....and these were GT3 cars in this instance!

Yep, I remember Ian Bell commenting on Henrik Roo's opinion on GTR & GTR2's handling, and even those were dismissed by some as "too easy":

Ian Bell said:
"I recall Henrik Roos (my co head at SimBin, not a bad word at all, I founded it after all ) constantly telling me that when he drove the real FIA GT cars they were very comfortable on and over the limit - in a way that we didn't capture with GTR and even with GTR2. He told me GTR2 was too unforgiving and that these cars can be drifted comfortably. He said it's not the fastest way around the track and it kills the tyres but that's how they handle. We failed to deliver that ease on the limit partly due to limitations (and what we later found to be a bug) in the ISI tyre physics code that caused the grip to 'fall off a cliff' at the limits.

fresquito

IMO, pCARS physics/FFB (which are intrinsically intertwined) were objectively bad.
IMO or objectively? :-D

I don't have many problems understanding what the cars are doing, myself. The main problem with the physics was how the differential worked. On turn exit it was awful on many cars. Needed unrealistic levels of throtle control.

Now, it's not like all other sims don't have their own share of problems and inconsistencies.

Momentary

Banned
The game is steadily being worked on everyday. It's going smoothly, but if they make that September time schedule I'd be super impressed.

Grassy

Your average punter with the attention span of a goldfish expects acceptable preset control from the first minute though, and quite rightly so. Good to hear that SMS seem to recognise this for pCARS2 but I fear they've already lost a big chunk of their potential market. Pad controls were a disaster in the first game.

Absolutely, there's no excuse for having piss-poor gamepad controls these days.

What makes it even more bizarre is that even older Simbin games like GTR2 and GT Legends feel a lot better than Project Cars with an Xbone controller 'out-of-the-box'. I'm currently going through a lot of older PC racing games(Nascar Racing 2003, Grand Prix Legends, GTR 2, F1 Challenge 99-02 etc), and I've only really had to adjust the steering sensitivity/lock a bit if at all, there's been none of the fuckery and trial and error as there is trying to get PCars feeling merely 'acceptable'.

Mascot

Audio and it's related effects is also something that the head honchos are talking up. Again, exciting new tech is being utilized. At the moment, games like Raceroom and Dirt Rally are the benchmarks for audio/physics based audio imo, a sentiment shared by gurus at SMS, and they are confident that pCars 2 will be the new benchmark in that regard.

That's encouraging to hear Sal. Audio is such an important aspect of the overall experience. It was good in pCARS but not great, especially compared to Raceroom and Dirt, so trumping those two shows very bold ambition by SMS. Can you comment on what you've actually experienced so far, assuming it's at a developed stage? (Impressions, not specifics that could violate NDAs).

The audio in pCARS replays was very insipid, and much weaker than during gameplay - is this area also receiving attention?

saladine1

That's encouraging to hear Sal. Audio is such an important aspect of the overall experience. It was good in pCARS but not great, especially compared to Raceroom and Dirt, so trumping those two shows very bold ambition by SMS. Can you comment on what you've actually experienced so far, assuming it's at a developed stage? (Impressions, not specifics that could violate NDAs).

The audio in pCARS replays was very insipid, and much weaker than during gameplay - is this area also receiving attention?

Yep, the whole sound design is getting a revamp which will include a better replay system. Things like environmental reverb and doppler are being enhanced to better replicate that experience you get when a car goes off into the distance or when a flyby occurs.
Better ambience effects too with a focus on a more seated and natural environment.

With the cars themselves, the intention is to capture the raw and visceral nature of a race car. The trick is to try and replicate what it would really sound like being strapped in a 600hp track monster. Again, the focus is on natural and raw. Things like cockpit resonance, correct sound positioning and mixing, chassis and suspension effects, driveline flex simulation,trans effects, turbo spool, brake whine..etc are being worked on.
So far, they are on the right track and I'm really excited to see how it progresses.

I would love to talk about the new audio tech and implementation techniques but obviously I can't. But suffice it to say that the difference between Pcars1 vehicles and Pcars 2 vehicles is already huge!

Dobsie

Slightly off topic i know but this thread is a lot more active than the OT's for the respective games. How does PC1 compare to AC on ps4? Thinking of picking up AC as I could never really get into PC but don't know if it's worthwhile.

danowat

Banned
Slightly off topic i know but this thread is a lot more active than the OT's for the respective games. How does PC1 compare to AC on ps4? Thinking of picking up AC as I could never really get into PC but don't know if it's worthwhile.

PC is a better "racing" sim, AC is a better "driving" sim.

That's about as succinct as I can be!.

Both are good in their own right though, and although they look similar on paper, they actually do different things.

Physics wise, at least on console, there is nothing better than AC.

Dobsie

PC is a better "racing" sim, AC is a better "driving" sim.

That's about as succinct as I can be!.

Both are good in their own right though, and although they look similar on paper, they actually do different things.

Physics wise, at least on console, there is nothing better than AC.
So are road cars more drivable in AC? I found a lot of them very difficult in PC, while the GT cars handled great. Also how do the graphics compare between the two? Thanks in advance.

I'll be honest and say that after playing the NFS SHIFT games, and Project CARS, all with a pad, that Project CARS was much better then SHIFT in the regards of handling with a pad. Specifically, the race cars were much better to drive then the road cars, which still felt like they were on ice.

danowat

Banned
So are road cars more drivable in AC? I found a lot of them very difficult in PC, while the GT cars handled great. Also how do the graphics compare between the two? Thanks in advance.

Yes, very drivable, PCars looks a little better, mainly due to weather and dynamic TOD.

paskowitz

One of the finicky things in AC is getting the tire and road grip level combination right. IMO optimum track surface and the lower tire option is the best all around combination for most road cars (other than the hyper cars which need the slick tires). For race cars I really like starting green with cold tires and then adapting to the higher grip levels as the race evolves.

cooldawn

I had fun racing online more than anything else. I thought pad implementation was super too, much better than Assetto Corsa's anyway.

The issue I had with Project CARS is...it felt unfinished overall. Ragged around the edges. I liked the physics and the track selection is great but there wasn't much in the way of cars and, visually, it was a little rough (but still perfectly seviceable).

I can see something strong to build so I look forward to an improved version.

Mascot

Even Mascot here, who probably had more fun with pCARS than any other gaffer I know, would say that the handling didn't feel good across the board and is far better in some cars than others.

The road cars felt pretty bad to me, but all the other classes were fine. I tended to concentrate on the GTs because the AI was superb in this class (much, much better than in the open wheelers, for example). GT racing is also my favourite motorsport so I'm openly biased towards it, but I really should explore some of the other cars a bit more. It's hard to break away though 'cos the GT races are just so fucking exhilarating.

Mascot

Anyone know if all the car liveries and trackside sponsorship will be official for pcars 2, or are they sticking with mainly fake ones again?

Mascot

PRC put some oval screenshots up yesterday, sourced from a 4Chan thread, apparently.

1484529879164.jpg

1484530227541.jpg

1484529245926.jpg

No idea how current these are but the Nissan GTR is shown (and is that a Ruf or a Porker..?).

I like the new pit board-style info graphic in the first image.

https://pretendracecars.net/

I wonder where this mysterious 4Chan thread is.

fresquito

I got quite a few ideas that resonated with WMD and the staff, so I'm glad I could help. That said, the final form and many of the original ideas are not mine.

I think people will be pleased with the HUD. I would love to have a different map, though. Still time to change It. One can hope

Mascot

I got quite a few ideas that resonated with WMD and the staff, so I'm glad I could help. That said, the final form and many of the original ideas are not mine.

I think people will be pleased with the HUD. I would love to have a different map, though. Still time to change It. One can hope.

I quite like the existing HUD map (when I use it, which is rare when pCARS Dash is working correctly, which it isn't at the moment for me) but I wish there was better consistency with how the preview maps are shown on the track loading screen. I know these were patched in after the game's release (which is amazing in itself - nobody thought a track map would be useful on the loading screen, you know, like in every other racing game ever?) so probably weren't given as much thought or considered as a consistent 'theme'.

In fact, overall presentation was a bit erratic in pCARS. The 'quick select' car screens were truly awful, with jaggytastic low-res images of the cars parked on tarmac, all with slightly different scaling and viewed from slightly different positions. It did look quite amateurish and screamed 'rush job'. PCARS 2 will hopefully be more cohesive as a package.

Mascot

And... I just saw a new map style. Neat.

You're talking about the HUD map yes, not the pre-race loading screen map?

I'm not sure what they could do to the HUD map to make it significantly different, unless they go all GT Sport sniper view on our asses.

2016-08-17-121602_1440x900_scrot-638x399.png

fresquito

I was talking about both HUD and pre-race, as they will look different. And, no, they're not going for that approach (took me a while to find the map in that screen, lol).

Mascot

I was talking about both HUD and pre-race, as they will look different. And, no, they're not going for that approach (took me a while to find the map in that screen, lol).

That's good to hear. The only thing I like about the GTS map is the crosshairs. It really makes finding your own car so much easier, which is sometimes tricky on the full-screen fixed map view in pCARS Dash. All you are on that is a slightly different-coloured dot, so it can take a while to find yourself on a screen that shouldn't ever warrant more than a very quick glance.

Mascot

From GT Planet. Is this pCARS 2?

1484578596451-png.621209

Edit: possibly debunked as Assetto Corsa. More news to follow.

Edit 2: deffo AC.

DavidDesu

Ditto. I literally could not keep the car on the road. It's no hyperbole to say that the preset pad controls in pCARS were the worst I've ever encountered, and by quite some margin. This was a universal complaint so it baffles belief how they were ever passed as suitable for release. The bounce rate with this game must have been huge because of the awful controls. I personally know several people who abandoned the game for good within hours because they literally could not control the cars, and these were racing fans who had been looking forward to the game for years. Many, many sales must have been lost because of the pad controls.

For a long time I assumed that there must be some technical error like there was in NFS Shift (due to legacy code from that game, perhaps) but it appears that no, they were supposed to be that bad.

It's fantastic news that this has been properly addressed now, and a shame that PC1 can't be patched with these defaults.

This absolutely describes me. I can handle Gran Turismo fairly expertly. I can post top 50 times in Driveclub and I can keep my car on the road in Dirt Rally but Project Cars... it was horrific. I can do very fine control with the analogue stick but this game just never had settings that allowed this without going to far one way or another. I tried and tried all sorts of configurations but it was either way too sensitive and jittery or else controlled like a cruise ship. I don't know how Gran Turismo had always had absolutely spot on controls and a game like this can balls it up so bad. If this is truly fixed then I'm on board.

I'm still a little salty they quietly reneged on their PSVR promise for PC1.
Pretty much. Screw 'em. That the closest thing to an official response to the matter on their forums was "well, we were planning on it, but please remember that we never promised a PSVR patch after the PSVR's consumer retail orders went live despite talking about it before then, so lol sorry if you were stupid and assumed stuff" did not help. I would have ordered a PSVR regardless, but when I originally did in the first rush it was with pCARS in mind. Knowing the resources were just going toward rushing the sequel is bonus frustrating.

fresquito

SMS don't seem to understand how announcing features work. When you talk to them they tell you things such as: Well, that's the game vision, doesn't need to be exactly in line with reality. Okay, I understand you have a game vision and not everything you have in that vision makes to the final game and some things that are not in your vision do, but would you please edit your official outlets to line them up with reality and not with the initial vision?

I just checked PC2 website and they are doing a better job this time, at least. Once there were words of hillclimb and what not. Not anymore. Slowly but surelly they seem to be learning.

About rushing PC2 you are in the wrong, though. The timing is how game development works like 100% the time.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I didn't like the campaign (one type of car throughout the season) preferred something that mixes different cars through the campaign.

Mascot

Vehicle handling and joypad control improvements

OK, no specifics but the handling is transformed now. The real drivers are now raving about it (for many of the cars, the rest are in progress) when they started out (at our request) fairly negative overall. This is all up on WMD2 and the thousands in there have seen it unfold over the last year to what we have now.

Another huge breakthrough we've made is in the pad control code. It's really 1000% easier to handle with the pad now that we've nailed the filters and in combination with the much more realistic over the limit handling..

fresquito

I don't want to oversell it. I don't want to sound like a PR machine. I'm not that kind of guy. But I honestly could not agree more. The other day I did a session with some friends on returning cars and most of them felt entirely different cars. Even cars that I loved back in PC1 feel so much more alive and enticing now that I find it hard to go back to PC1. The class I find less of a difference is probably GT3, and even there, there's a huge difference.

Now that the handling feels godsent, I just hope they nail all race things such as wear, heat, surfaces and all that kind of stuff. Of course I also want to see better damage and mechanical wear in general. Consistency through so many different and changing conditions will be hard, though.

Finally, I just want to highlight how better collisions are now. Of course this is from my limited playing, but they felt just realistic and very consistent. Yay for no more glueing cars!

Mascot

I don't want to oversell it. I don't want to sound like a PR machine. I'm not that kind of guy. But I honestly could not agree more. The other day I did a session with some friends on returning cars and most of them felt entirely different cars. Even cars that I loved back in PC1 feel so much more alive and enticing now that I find it hard to go back to PC1. The class I find less of a difference is probably GT3, and even there, there's a huge difference.

Now that the handling feels godsent, I just hope they nail all race things such as wear, heat, surfaces and all that kind of stuff. Of course I also want to see better damage and mechanical wear in general. Consistency through so many different and changing conditions will be hard, though.

Finally, I just want to highlight how better collisions are now. Of course this is from my limited playing, but they felt just realistic and very consistent. Yay for no more glueing cars!

Good to hear Fres. Can't wait to find out more details in due course but in the meantime I'm hearing very positive general impressions from the development builds. It all seems a bit too good to be true but it really does sound like there could be significant improvements in almost all areas.

It's been a couple of weeks now since the 'weeks not months' comment so I guess official media should be starting to emerge some time in February...

danowat

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it out in the wild, I take anything Ian Bell says with a huge pinch of salt.

I remember the pre release chatter about PCars1, so there is form there.

Mascot

I'll believe it when I see it out in the wild, I take anything Ian Bell says with a huge pinch of salt.

I'm a card-carrying cynic at heart but there's a lot of WMD2 insiders agreeing with him, and even after making the necessary adjustments for sycophancy the general impressions are overwhelmingly positive.

I agree though, proof pudding etc.

danowat

Banned
I'm not saying WMD members are lying, I am just (really really) tempering my expectations.

I'm not even convinced we'll see it this year anyway.

Top Bottom