• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN News And Announcements: 2012 Edition

MrPliskin

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted but Susan Panico, the senior director of PSN, has just left Sony after 17 years. To be honest I think she has done a shitty job and think Grace Chen should get the boot too. Hope this signals a change in how PSN is run, more indie stuff, a more pro active approach to getting games on the service.

Uhhh...they have nothing to do with this, for the most part. Also, PS3 is not PC or 360, there is no easily available dev suite to use. PS Suite may change how many indie games are on PSN. Also, a LOT of Mini's are made by indie devs, but are largely ignored.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Interesting development on the PS mini front:
http://www.pspminis.com/8283/laughing-jackal-releases-hungry-giraffe-trailer/

The trailer says "Hi-Res Art When Played on a PS3 System".

Never even knew that was possible..

EcWCq.gif

V_Ben

Banned
Hey, Guys. Development on Journey is complete. I KNOW RIGHT.

http://www.psnstores.com/2012/02/development-on-journey-is-complete/

Interesting development on the PS mini front:
http://www.pspminis.com/8283/laughing-jackal-releases-hungry-giraffe-trailer/

The trailer says "Hi-Res Art When Played on a PS3 System".

Never even knew that was possible..

EcWCq.gif

That's... interesting. We'll have to have a look at that claim. Awesome if true.

Edit: Hopefully they can tell other developers. :D

Takao

Banned
|PlayStation Store Update|

PS3 BD Downloads:
Jak and Daxter Collection: $14.99 / game, $39.99
Catherine: $39.99
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: $39.99
Top Spin 4: $29.99

PSN games:
Shank 2: $9.99
Gotham City Impostors: $14.99, demo available
The Simpsons Arcade Game: $9.99 (free for PS+), demo available

PS2 classic:
Spongebob Squarepants: the Movie: $9.99

Demos:
Jimmie Johnson’s Anything with an Engine
Cubixx HD

Derrick01

Banned
Oh wow the jak games will be there individually? I think I'll be cancelling my preorder so I can just buy Jak 2 and 3 and save $10. I'll buy the lesser Jak 1 at a more financially convenient time.

Oh and a new ps2 game!!!

PS2 classic:

Why do you insist on trolling me Sony? Also we need to fix your definition of classic.

hsukardi

I was looking for those weekly PSN threads we used to have and couldn't find them.

I just put money into my PSN account and haven't bought anything for 2 years. Can anyone recommend me the top few purchaseable games on PSN? I got Super Stardust, Flower and Dead Nation already.

Thanks peeps.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Downloadable Catherine eh. Pretty awesome.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I gotta say, I keep on preaching about putting more retail games on these DD services and Sony has done a good job recently in adding more and more games. Developers are finally understanding the long trail of sales via DD.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So you don't have to feel all awkward when buying it in the store?

I use the pink semi-erotic wallpaper sometimes so I've definitely got no shame.

kassatsu

Banned

jvm

Gamasutra.
|PlayStation Store Update|

PS3 BD Downloads:
Jak and Daxter Collection: $14.99 / game, $39.99
Catherine: $39.99
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: $39.99
Top Spin 4: $29.99

PSN games:
Shank 2: $9.99
Gotham City Impostors: $14.99, demo available
The Simpsons Arcade Game: $9.99 (free for PS+), demo available

PS2 classic:

Demos:
Jimmie Johnson’s Anything with an Engine
Cubixx HD
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's just what Rey posted tonight, without prices of course. Might as well just watch the posts here and forget about that Sunday-night drop post. Thanks, Sony.

Massa

Next week:

Games
House of the Dead 3 ($6.99 reg price, discounted for PS+)
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
GTA IV

Demos
Mass Effect 3
Binary Domain

V_Ben

Banned
Next week:

Games
House of the Dead 3
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
GTA IV

Demos
Mass Effect 3
Binary Domain

GTA IV? Huh, cool. I wonder how big that download is going to be.... Also, hopefully this leads to a crazy bundle with the game and all the DLC for a ludicrous price.

Oh, we have a new URL that redirects to us. Hehe.

shittysonysite.com

No, really. :p

V_Ben

Banned
Gotta love that man.

Also, shittysonysite.com? o_O

Hehe, yeah. One of our guys was in the Double Fine Kickstarter thread (Btrain87, he's permabanned now), and the site got called shitty by a guy looking through his twitter and posts on the site. So, this is our joke about it :p

Carl

Hehe, yeah. One of our guys was in the Double Fine Kickstarter thread (Btrain87, he's permabanned now), and the site got called shitty by a guy looking through his twitter and posts on the site. So, this is our joke about it :p

Haha fair enough!

V_Ben

Banned
According to Eurogamer's Johnny Minkley, these are the prices for some download only Vita games in the UK;

Confirmed prices for Sony's download-only Vita games: MotorStorm RC: £4.79, Escape Plan £9.99, Super Stardust/Top Darts/Hustle Kings £6.49.

those are... bloody good. Motorstorm especially. Under a fiver is super impressive.

Carl

According to Eurogamer's Johnny Minkley, these are the prices for some download only Vita games in the UK;

those are... bloody good. Motorstorm especially. Under a fiver is super impressive.
Well shit. There goes more money. All of those are bloody good prices. Motorstorm for less than 5 quid and get PS3 and PSV version. Bargain.

V_Ben

Banned
We put up an awesome Pixeljunk 4am interview today, please check it out :)

Awesome snippet? Sure!

Chris: Another big part of the game is the audience aspect, where people can tune into different performances that are going on. Will there be a separate app that people can download to listen in?

Rowan: Yes, there will be a FREE Viewer available for download on PSN. Then there is the regular full version of 4am which lets you perform, broadcast live and do everything. The free Viewer won’t require a Move controller and since it is free, anyone can download and start streaming anyone who is playing 4AM whenever they want. And not just watch, but provide feedback similar to a Facebook ‘like’. You could almost use it as a free PSN radio station. Just let it seek and find a random person playing live. Leave it running in the background at parties or something. I mean it’s free and has these awesome looking visualizers and music on it. We haven’t really seen anyone else try this on the PlayStation Network. People using the free version can upgrade at any time to the full version and join in the music broadcasting.

Free viewer app! We also have a sexy new screenshot :D

(This may or may not be the new image)

1.jpg

As someone who used to mix I'm kind of looking forward to 4am. Not enough to pick up a Move as I still have my decks in the cupboard, but I like the idea of listening into other people's mixes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
New US blogcast is up, anyone wanna check the upcoming releases? http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/17/playstation-blogcast-012-veni-vidi-vita/

Mafia II
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Plants vs Zombies (Vita)
Ben 10 Galactic Racing (Vita)
Hustle Kings (Vita)
Mutant Blobs Attack (Successor to Tales from Space: About a Blob)
Starhawk Public Beta

Demos
SSX
Naruto Shippuuden: UNS Generations
Shank 2

Vita Demos
Unit 13
Hustle Kings
FIFA Soccer

PS2 Classics
Full Spectrum Warrior: 10 Hammers

Very meh week for me. =/