• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: NTDOY Q4 earnings report

Come and get it!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080124e.pdf

Of note...

DS hardware at 64.79 million worldwide LTD (compare with GBA at 80.72 million)
20.18 million in North/South America
21.66 million in Japan
22.94 million elsewhere

Wii hardware at 20.13 million worldwide LTD (compare with NGC at 21.72 million)
8.85 million in North/South America
4.99 million in Japan
6.30 million elsewhere

NCL said:
During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2007, "Nintendo DS", our handheld gaming system, continued to enjoy robust sales worldwide, selling a total of 24.5 million units (64.79 million units life-to-date). DS software had favorable performance in sales as well, led by new titles of "The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass" and "Mario Party DS" as well as "Pokémon Diamond" and "Pokémon Pearl" and "Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day" which were launched overseas during this period. In addition, a number of long-term selling titles such as "Nintendogs" and "New Super Mario Bros." recorded strong sales.

In our console business, "Wii" hardware reached total sales of 14.29 million units worldwide for the first three quarters of the year and exceeded 20 million units in life-to-date sales, which is slightly over one year. "Wii" software titles, including "Wii Fit", which seeks to integrate health and entertainment under the theme of health, and newly-launched titles "Super Mario Galaxy" and "Mario Party 8" enjoyed robust sales. "Wii Sports" and "Wii Play" continued their strong sales performance as well.

As a result, net sales were 1,316.4 billion yen (up 84.7% y/y), operating income was 394 billion yen (up 135.1% y/y), income before income taxes and extraordinary items was 430.8 billion yen (up 95.2% y/y), and net income was 258.9 billion yen (up 96.3% y/y), respectively.

ntdoy2007q4.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They raised their Wii forecast by another million, to 18.5M. If I remember correctly, before that they had shipped/sold about 6M. So basically...by the end of March the Wii LTD will be somewhere around 23-24 million :lol :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
net income was 258.9 billion yen

Is.... is this for the quarter only, or a cumulative figure for the entire fiscal year?

that's 2.434 billion dollars

i don't think i can ever get over this sort of thing. nintendo seemed so down earlier this decade. even with the GBA owning, the PSP was looming on the horizon and seemed a serious threat. i mean, i didn't think nintendo to would like sega or anything, but i thought they were going to have some fairly troubled times ahead

just comes to show that you can't hold too much creedence with your present circumstances

TwinIonEngines said:
That doesn't sound at all right.
Oh wait... yes, you're right. It's only just under double :lol

Somehow, I read the 96% as meaning that last year's earnings were only 4% of this year's. Which would have been incredible.

My brain is completely fried.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
so pretty much they made about 2.5 billion USD in pure, liquid profit? oh my God in heaven, Nintendo's chill'n with Jesus.

and they BROKE 20 million!!!! they're gonna beat the gamecube LTD within a month! plust 8.8 million in the US means that the Wii is hot on the heels of the 360. it wouldn't be surprising to see the Wii beat the 360 to 10 million in sales in the US...

Kenka

Chumly said:
They dont count Wii sports (except in japan)

It just can't be...I mean everybody claims that Wii software doesn't sell. So how in the world do we get such a smack in the face ?

mj1108

As a result, net sales were 1,316.4 billion yen (up 84.7% y/y), operating income was 394 billion yen (up 135.1% y/y), income before income taxes and extraordinary items was 430.8 billion yen (up 95.2% y/y), and net income was 258.9 billion yen (up 96.3% y/y), respectively.

258.9 billion yen = $2,432,922,775.52 USD

Is that right?

EDIT: So they're at 2.4 billion in profit for 9 months...and there's still another quarter to go?

Can we see 3 billion?

Christine

GaimeGuy said:
Is.... is this for the quarter only, or a cumulative figure for the entire fiscal year?

that's 2.434 billion dollars

It's the April-Dec '07 period. Nine months that include a year-end holiday.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Oh wait... yes, you're right. It's only just under double :lol

Somehow, I read the 96% as meaning that last year's earnings were only 4% of this year's. Which would have been incredible.

My brain is completely fried.

It's still fuckmazing. 2006 was a very, very good year for Nintendo. 2007 was something else entirely.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ok, they plan on shipping at least 4.5M for the last 3 months of the year (ending March 31st). With Japan sales stabilizing, I'd say North America should see a very healthy supply for the next 3 months.

i feel like an idiot. couldn't quite put it in context most of the numbers. let's just say they're doing well...

looking at LTD numbers, i was quite shocked that nintendo numbers are almost dead on with numbers from gaming sites. i thought the discrepancy (speacially in europe and others) was way bigger than it actually is. no wonder why hardcocre gamers are so good at predicting sales like we usually see here...

Penguin

Kenka said:
It just can't be...I mean everybody claims that Wii software doesn't sell. So how in the world do we get such a smack in the face ?

It's not that Wii software doesn't sell. It's 3rd party software doesn't sell. You have to get the meme down right

Polari

That's a pretty bold forecast for Wii software. Makes you wonder what Nintendo has up its sleeve for the rest of the year...

Penguin

Polari said:
That's a pretty bold forecast for Wii software. Makes you wonder what Nintendo has up its sleeve for the rest of the year...

Well being that they have yet to release Smash anywhere.
Wii fit outside of japan.
And Mario Kart.
They are set really for sellers.

Though, I would like to know more about their line-up for 08. Especially Disaster.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Penguin said:
It's not that Wii software doesn't sell. It's 3rd party software doesn't sell. You have to get the meme down right

What's the total Wii software Ltd?

Pachael

Haters are crying and whinging in other threads. Nintendo wins, no 'comeback' possible. The console and handheld wars are overs, only 2nd place matters etc. :)

scottnak

Penguin said:
Well being that they have yet to release Smash anywhere.
Wii fit outside of japan.
And Mario Kart.
They are set really for sellers.

Though, I would like to know more about their line-up for 08. Especially Disaster.
:eek:

Holy jeebus. That's a boatload of goods. And it'll keep keep goooing. Wheee

Jiggy37 said:
I do when it's used correctly, like in Dragon Quest IX (visible equipment changes!) or Nanostray 2 (funky geometric shape bosses). >_>

Got AWDoR yet? I'd buy it, but then I could only play for... like, half a day before being shipped off to the actual armed forces.

Sharp

Ugh, why does Nintendo do everything in 10000's. It makes reading those charts very confusing.
Chumly said:
113 Million Units of software have been shipped to retailers (does NOT include bundled Wii Sports).
I know this is the correct number, but it seems... well, really high. Then again, the PS2 exceeded one blllion software units sold awhile back, so maybe I'm just not setting my standards high enough.

Christine

Oblivion said:
What's the total Wii software Ltd?

113 million as of Dec 31.

dyls said:
Seriously. Obviously they're expecting big things out of SSBB, but that leaves an awful lot left.

If they hit that target they'll be within ~60 million of the GC software LTD.

dyls

Polari said:

Seriously. 30 million units by the end of March?? Obviously they're expecting big things out of SSBB, but that leaves an awful lot left.

edit: late night reading is no good.

re-edit: wait, I was right.

Sharp said:
Ugh, why does Nintendo do everything in 10000's. It makes reading those charts very confusing.

Because the company conforms to Japanese accounting practices. The main denomination of currency is 10,000 yen, or "man-en" (万円).

Penguin

If my numbers are correct

Wii Worldwide has an attach rate of about 5.6
And in the Americas about 6.8

Not bad numbers considering the ones people usually quote.

Top Bottom