• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

That would have been amazing.

And after you beat him Euzeth Gozzo just pops out again going

2a1.gif

Hmm, I wonder what suit I should stick Marida into. I had her in the Zeta in Z3, but since it's final attack is now locked to Kamille, I'm not sure if I should stick with Zeta or try something else

manfestival

I dont know why I am hesitating on pulling the trigger. I have this game in my cart on amazon buuuuut I am not placing the order. Kinda wish the playasia price was the same on amazon ... then I would've done it in a heartbeat

Bebpo

Banned
Yamato 2199 spoilers:

A little bummed that with the "everyone survives" happy SRW V, that there's no way to save Erich Domel in Yamato's plotline. He's the best character in that show, would've been cool be able to have him survive so he can rejoin in the final battles.

We don't really know but posts in their thread side with standalone. Stating the story is wrapped up with no loose ends by the end of the game.

I
V is standalone. It's getting the last mileage out of those Z3 sprites before they start a new series (trilogy or more) from the ground up with all new sprites.

Gotcha. Because of some of the late game mech upgrades I was wondering if they were doing a Z thing with that. Thanks!

Bebpo

Banned
Finished the game, full scenario run outside one stage in the middle where Chitose/Souji have different versions and I didn't do the less good ending branch since I figure it's probably mostly the same as the secret good ending.

Good solid SRW.

Pros:
+Jazzy Might Gaine BGM & million attacks
+Judea's running joke on map attack SR points when you get the point with someone else and he's like "wtf I thought I'm the map attack guy"
+Amuro in a maxed Nu Gundam is amazing
+Mazinger Zero & Mazin Emperor
+FMP animations this time (Laevatein was my top ACE thanks to his map attack, Xi Gundam missle pod map attack was close 2nd)
+Good secrets
+Dynamic Kills everyyyyyywhere thankfully
+OG Unit visual design & animations
+OG MC & Nine
+Yamatooooo
+Lack of grunt overkill & lack of squads

Cons:
-Way too easy. Like I don't think it's possible to get easier than this. I never even bothered equipping half the parts I got.
-Too many parts, there's so many if you actually manage your team it's a pain in the butt, but you don't have to because the game is so easy
-Eva was pointless, the new animations were nice and fixed Z3's issues but otherwise not sure why it's in. They should just leave out Eva Rebuild at this point until the movies are done so they can do plot beyond 2.0. Or just do Eva TV -> EoE again in the meantime if they want Eva in.
-OG Unit really needs a map attack; Super Robo version is weird.
-Least interesting OG story in SRW, barely has a role until the final maps. But doesn't get in the way.
-SEED Destiny's BGM is set like 1-2 volume higher than the rest of the BGMs and it's really annoying and made me not want to watch their attacks ><
-Unicorn Gundam maxed out unit is really shitty in this one? Damage is low, can't dodge anything.
-I think the final final bosses could've used some really cool animations. Feels like there hasn't been really great & detailed boss animations since Z2-2. A lot of major end of anime final bosses get like 1 beam wave attack. OG series spoils me with major bosses getting moves just as flashy as your best playable unit moves.

Odd:
-Gedora death animations (probably was the same in Z3) but uh, their heads explode which is sorta the most violent thing I've seen in SRW in a long time!
-I kinda wish bosses had their own BGM. I thought they used to at some point. Only time that happens is the last boss.

I think it was a a good SRW, but I found the 2nd half a little dull. Not many surprises. The pacing was fine, thankfully, but it felt like the earth plots were rushed and then the endgame kinda drags. While Yamato 2199 is great and I'm glad they did it here, I'm not sure it worked so well-plotwise as I think the bookend strategy sorta messed with the overall plot.

Last couple of stages were good. I liked the 2nd to last stage more than the final stage. I thought the Might Gaine final boss was actually pretty cool and it did the 4th wall breaking with the whole "you're all units in a game getting items and leveling up!".
On the final boss was interesting. I don't think I've ever experienced a final boss that was:

A ton of units instead of a single big boss unit. Yamato's wave cannon was totally key for that stage. I'd do 2.5x damage Tamashi + critical + multi-turn then MAP wave cannon kill a bunch, hit & away move to next position, use seishin to replenish EN and SP, Tamashi + multi-turn -> MAP ATTACK -> move to new position, repeat. Went around the map and killed all of the boss units outside like 3 with Yamatos' wave cannon MAP attack and then the rest of my team finished up the last 3. Bosses didn't even get a turn. Which I'm glad because all of those bosses attacking with MAP attacks and stuff would've wrecked my party.

Now that they fixed animations, secrets, dynamic kills, what I'd like for them to work on in the next licensed SRW is team up attacks. SRW games have been really light on team up attacks for years now.

Would've been cool if:

The two OG leads had a team attack together. And obviously a final dynamic special with Shin Mazinger Zero and Mazin Emperor & Shin Getter Robo would've been good.

Anyhow, was a good game. The new entry shows Might Gaine/Yamato/Cross Ange all got great representation with lots of units and attacks and story. Looking forward to the next licensed SRW!

manfestival

I just took the dive. Placed my order on playasia and I hope the economy shipping doesnt take forever like the window kinda hints. I mean the 7-30 window is pretty huge.
Can't freaking wait!

last order I did was in december 2011 for gundam ex vs! I paid 95 dollars for that bad boy but I loved that game

manfestival

according to playasia my order shipped earlier today like super early in the morning. How long should I reasonably expect to wait for the game? 5-14 days? only thing that sucks is that there is no tracking.

Rahvar

Ordered this game from playasia last weekend. (And My first two gunpla sets from amazon). Hope it arrives sooner rather than later as I'm almost done with Persona 5.

Ventara

according to playasia my order shipped earlier today like super early in the morning. How long should I reasonably expect to wait for the game? 5-14 days? only thing that sucks is that there is no tracking.

It's been about a month for me and still waiting. Another game is over two months now (should probably email them soon about that). Though it wildly varies. I've had stuff take 3 months and some take less than a week.

Bebpo

Banned
It's been about a month for me and still waiting. Another game is over two months now (should probably email them soon about that). Though it wildly varies. I've had stuff take 3 months and some take less than a week.

Wow, idk at that point maybe it's worth the extra $10 for express shipping? I usually get my packages in like 2 days.

Ventara

Wow, idk at that point maybe it's worth the extra $10 for express shipping? I usually get my packages in like 2 days.

Wow, 2 days? Where do you live, if I may ask? I live in Canada and it seems most of my packages coming from Asia (I assume these are coming from Hong Kong) take 1-2 months, so I've gotten used to it.

Oh, and complaining works. The game that was taking over two months just got here today, lol. Now just waiting on SRWV.

Way more series with way more rights-holders to negotiate with.

And even Gundam Breaker isnt being localized. Which, I find slightly odd as Gundam Vs is, but maybe the Breaker series has more licensing issues?

All I know is I wish these games (SRW, Gundam 2nd Generations, Breaker) would re-release on the Vita with the DLC baked in. OR for Sony to redo the account system. I would like the DLC but I dont want to juggle multiple accounts on the Vita and I am enjoying this game on the go.

Sadly not too far into the game, only 1 Game Over because of gambling and losing to RNG. "Only a 12% chance I will get hit? Ill take it. *sigh* well there goes 30 minutes of game play."

Gunkankun

So is Play Asia the cheapest place to get this? We have a place in the NL that sells it for 79 euros (ps4). Surely it can go for cheaper?

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, 2 days? Where do you live, if I may ask? I live in Canada and it seems most of my packages coming from Asia (I assume these are coming from Hong Kong) take 1-2 months, so I've gotten used to it.

Oh, and complaining works. The game that was taking over two months just got here today, lol. Now just waiting on SRWV.

California around the LA area using the express shipping option. Usually leaves HK one day, arrives at LAX the next day and then is delivered within 24 hours.

Another option for anyone who wants the game relatively quick without spending extra for express shipping is to buy PSN points for the corresponding country of the store they want to buy it from and then just download it right away digitally.

PSqueak

Banned
Currently on chapter 30 (Chitose, stay route), the more the game advances the more typos and errors appear hahaha, but when all is done i love this game being in english, there is something oddly amusing about Kappei shouting "YOU SUCK!" at enemies.

Also:

Behold the horribly unfair attack range i have cultivated for Kurz. I place him in the center of the map there is not a single place enemies would be able to hide from him.

California around the LA area using the express shipping option. Usually leaves HK one day, arrives at LAX the next day and then is delivered within 24 hours.

Another option for anyone who wants the game relatively quick without spending extra for express shipping is to buy PSN points for the corresponding country of the store they want to buy it from and then just download it right away digitally.

Amazon also carries it. Aboug 70-80 dollars and a few options have prime 2 day or same day delivery.

Yamato 2199 spoilers:

A little bummed that with the "everyone survives" happy SRW V, that there's no way to save Erich Domel in Yamato's plotline. He's the best character in that show, would've been cool be able to have him survive so he can rejoin in the final battles.

Can I just say how criminally underused the space aircraft carrier animations are? Every one of his lieutenants has a different animation and it's a shame they only appear in one map while you get the same old battle ship armada attacks used like a million times by the standard Gamilas ships.

Bebpo

Banned
Can I just say how criminally underused the space aircraft carrier animations are? Every one of his lieutenants has a different animation and it's a shame they only appear in one map while you get the same old battle ship armada attacks used like a million times by the standard Gamilas ships.

Yep, although I thought that was cool each general got their own unique attack animation. I mean I have to imagine these 3d animations were easier to do since they could use the assets from the actual show, but still takes effort to do them.

I wouldn't be that surprised if we got Yamato 2199 in another game re-using these animations, especially if they do the movie or sequel movie series as a new entry.

Ventara

Ah, you're using the express shipping. I'd rather save the money. Don't really care if it takes a bit long as long as it gets to me. Got plenty of other games to keep me busy in the meantime, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Well Omega also has godzilla, and while I'd love to see a HQ 2d SRW attack animations for Godzilla I don't think that's happening :p

PSqueak

Banned
X Omega's is apparently featuring Zyuranger: https://twitter.com/srw_xomg/status/862201745912418304

I wonder if this means later down the line another crossover SRW in English might reference Power Rangers, or at least their base show... would be a nice opportunity to bring back Golion/Voltron too like when they made W...

I mean, if western companies were willing to play ball, we pretty much could easily get enough mecha/kaiju franchises for an all western SRW.

Imagine, just on the top of my head, it would have at least:

-Pacific Rim
-Power Rangers (Movie version)
-Godzilla/Kong Monsterverse
-Voltron: Legendary Defender
-Mazinger USA (cause gotta have a Mazinger rep in this)
-Transformers
-Megas XLR
-Sybionic Titan

Hell, you could even throw that weird Anne Hathaway kaiju movie (assuming Toho and Nagai aren't mad about the original pitch).

manfestival

I mean, if western companies were willing to play ball, we pretty much could easily get enough mecha/kaiju franchises for an all western SRW.

Imagine, just on the top of my head, it would have at least:

-Pacific Rim
-Power Rangers (Movie version)
-Godzilla/Kong Monsterverse
-Voltron: Legendary Defender
-Mazinger USA (cause gotta have a Mazinger rep in this)
-Transformers
-Megas XLR
-Sybionic Titan

Hell, you could even throw that weird Anne Hathaway kaiju movie (assuming Toho and Nagai aren't mad about the original pitch).
I think one could even add things like heavy gear and battletech to the battle. Heck even exo squad could work. I remember having the most awesome of toys from that show

Soulhouf

+Amuro in a maxed Nu Gundam is amazing

Amuro and Kamille are both amazing in this game.
VangRay and Unicorn sadly both have an underwhelming upgrade. I don't say they are shitty, just underwhelming.

I agree with most of what you said except this:

The new entry shows Might Gaine/Yamato/Cross Ange all got great representation with lots of units and attacks and story.

As much as I liked Yamato, I learned to appreciate the dumb(we are justice!) Might Gaine for what it is, I can't stand how they incorporated Cross Ange. Most of the characters are empty and the few males from that series have a shitty character design. Not to mention they have put too many robots from that series which are very similar, 4 or 5 would've been enough. To make things even worse, Jill, aka one of the most interesting characters has a very limited robot. I was happy when she joined in my second run but was immediately bummed when I saw her generic robot.
I would haven't complained if Cross Ange's appearance in the game was less forced and and more discrete.

Regarding the last map, I wanted to see if I could finish it with a single offensive unit in 5 turns and sure I did in 3 turns with the mighty Shin Getter. Giving that monster second attack and boosting his skill was a HUGE mistake since he became able to oneshot everything he could reach including bosses. It was very amusing to watch.

Right now I'm about 3/4 in my second run. I tried to do things differently this time (picked the other protagonist, different route when possible, different VangRay upgrade etc...). It's just sad there isn't an x-hard mode or something like that. I used to have a lot of fun with that kind of challenge in the previous games.
Hopefully they will get the balance right next time.

PSqueak

Banned
Finished my first run last night, holy shit Ex. Actions are broken as fuck in the later stages, like no wonder they change how Spirits work, its like a futile attempt to balance how broken Ex. Actions are, like build up a mecha with a decent map attack like Great Might Gaine or Shin Dragon and basically you have infinite turns.

The final boss
true ending side
feels like they went like "shit, let's try to make a final boss that justifies how broken extra action is" and even then Great Might Gaine was unstoppable
single handedly killing about 20 Arcadias on his own with nearly infinite turns
, it's madness!

Tsukumo

Finished my first run last night, holy shit Ex. Actions are broken as fuck in the later stages, like no wonder they change how Spirits work, its like a futile attempt to balance how broken Ex. Actions are, like build up a mecha with a decent map attack like Great Might Gaine or Shin Dragon and basically you have infinite turns.

The final boss
true ending side
feels like they went like "shit, let's try to make a final boss that justifies how broken extra action is" and even then Great Might Gaine was unstoppable
single handedly killing about 20 Arcadias on his own with nearly infinite turns
, it's madness!

I honestly think that V's difficulty was set really well. It's easy and enjoyable to the point that you can take any unit and carry it until end-game without too much problem. It's still not as easy as MX was, and it features Robo Points so.

Loona

Still doing early levels at a slow pace of about a level per week.

Might Gaine gets a bit grating withh all the talk of justice, but at least the enemy grunts for that have amusing dialog.

It's also kind of amusing to see the OG AI trying to pull a Ghost in the Shell tachikoma philosophy moment with the Might Gaine AI bots - it kinda degenerates into more talk of Justice, but the fact that SRW tries to have moments like this is part of the charm of the games, and why now having them in English is a boon IMO.

Finally decided to start this (despite having it since release). Glad I finally got around to watching all of Yamato 2199 earlier this year. I've only had time to clear the first couple of stages, but good stuff so far.

It's also kind of amusing to see the OG AI trying to pull a Ghost in the Shell tachikoma philosophy moment with the Might Gaine AI bots - it kinda degenerates into more talk of Justice, but the fact that SRW tries to have moments like this is part of the charm of the games, and why now having them in English is a boon IMO.

I imagine that's more of a Brave Series thing. Even GaoGaiGar has scenes with giant AI robots hanging out and having existential conversations.

PSqueak

Banned
Still doing early levels at a slow pace of about a level per week.

Might Gaine gets a bit grating withh all the talk of justice, but at least the enemy grunts for that have amusing dialog.

I loved this bit, because most of the Super AIs are incredibly baffled because they cannot answer the question of "why would you prefer to be a sentient AI rather than a regular one" and Gaine comes with a very simple but satisfying answer "Because it allows me to understand the concept of Justice".

Create a singapore psn account, aet your ps4 aa the primary ps4 for that account, redeem the code on that account and download, awitxh to your normal account and play the game.

Just a quick add on to this. Be careful about DLC if the following applies to you:

1) you plan on playing on both PS4 and Vita
2) your Vita account is not linked to a PSN account from the corresponding region you're downloading the DLC from

Unlike the PS4, the Vita doesn't allow you to easily switch PSN accounts, and if you download the DLC on the PS4 without a way of getting the same DLC on the Vita, your PS4 save data won't work on the Vita

manfestival

Create a singapore psn account, aet your ps4 aa the primary ps4 for that account, redeem the code on that account and download, awitxh to your normal account and play the game.

Just a quick add on to this. Be careful about DLC if the following applies to you:

2) your Vita account is not linked to a PSN account from the corresponding region you're downloading the DLC from

Unlike the PS4, the Vita doesn't allow you to easily switch PSN accounts, and if you download the DLC on the PS4 without a way of getting the same DLC on the Vita, your PS4 save data won't work on the Vita
thanks for the advice fellas. I dont have a vita so I am not worried about that. i have a few questions already but I will just wait a little longer before I go into them

Loona

I imagine that's more of a Brave Series thing. Even GaoGaiGar has scenes with giant AI robots hanging out and having existential conversations.

I had to check, and looks like both Might Gaine and GaoGaiGar are part of that metaseries - no wonder I got a GeoGaiGar vibe from the bots and their vehicle references - my one experience with GGG is SRW W and reading the translated outline of its story, but the tone and design sensibilities match - although I guess Gaine goes all out with "Justice!" and GGG has more of a "Courage!" thing going on.

Yeah, I'm wanting to do cross play and get the DLC for a few SEA region games, so I'm just switching my Vita over to that account for the time being. I've got my PSTV if I need to play something from the NA region.

manfestival

why cant I stream this game?!
camby.png

also are voices only in special scenes as well as cutscenes? kinda wish I had more japanese voice to listen to

squall23

why cant I stream this game?!
camby.png

also are voices only in special scenes as well as cutscenes? kinda wish I had more japanese voice to listen to
Because Bamco. They're known for locking down sharing features. Some guy's youtube account that only consisted of SRW attack animations was also closed down too during the week after release. Who knows whether Bamco had a hand in that though.

Top Bottom