• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

QtXb.png

SuXb.png

Visit the No Man's Sky Repository for all information collected about the game all in one place.

No Man's Sky is a Science Fiction game focusing on space exploration and survival, with the primary objective of getting to the CENTER OF THE GALAXY. Little is known about this Galaxy, and the development team have deliberately
kept a lot of the game mechanics and details about the lore a secret. The reason for this is simple- You have to discover them yourself. There is a Malevolent Force present in this Universe, and we get to uncover it's secrets.

• 18 Quintillion Planets - Planet-sized planets. Some of which are dangerous and hostile. Some barren and dead. Others lush and full of life. All rotate and orbit around their parent star.
  • You Can Go There! - All planets and stars in the sky are reachable, explore-able, and star systems contain objectives with significance to that system.
  • Procedurally Generated - (Not RANDOMLY) Terrains, Atmospheres, Flora/Fauna, etc, are all generated with a reason and purpose. Things like distance from the sun, size, etc, play a role in what's generated.
  • A Galaxy at War - Multiple factions and races exist in this universe. Choose to help or harm them for your own gain. Learn their languages, and learn how to more easily work with or against them.
  • PS+ Not Required - Game can be played completely offline. (Requires internet to share Discoveries with server. Don’t forget the Day One Patch though!)
  • Day One Patch Notes!- You need this if you want to fully enjoy the recommended experience.

XtXb.png

ZtXb.png

duXb.png

euXb.png

fuXb.png

No Man's Sky is a game focused on Emergent Gameplay. What this means is simple. The game tosses you in and leaves you to your own. The "Gameplay Loop" is yours to decide.
The Following Four Pillars of Gameplay are all you need to navigate your exploration of the Cosmos. Explore unknown worlds. Discover ancient alien ruins that may help or hurt your
journey. Beware of the Sentinels, a self replicating machine race that protects the galaxy from invasive explorers like you who disrupt the balance. Stop asking questions, and go forth.

guXb.png

iuXb.png

• CLICK THE GIFS FOR VIDEO!

Sean Murray figured out the answer. Click below.

xuXb.png

Well, here you are. Stranded.

You're on an unknown, undiscovered world. Your scanner is malfunctioning, your Multi-tool is a piece of junk only meant for basic mining, your Analysis Visor is borked, and your busted Starship is grounded and emitting an
unceremonious shower of sparks. It's Launch Thruster and Pulse Engine are fried. The good news- your Exosuit, Life Support System, and Environmental Protection System are operational. But this
planet could be dangerous... Harmful atmosphere could be eating away at your protection, and Life Support is slowly diminishing. You really want to get off this
world, but it's going to take some work. You crack your knuckles and begin to "science the shit out of this."

yuXb.png

• Lost In Space - Extreme heat and cold, toxic, radiation, and stormy climates, mean the clock is ticking. Manage your time on the surface!
  • Feed Me Seymour! - The Flora can be alive and dangerous. Approach with caution!
  • An Angry Pineapple! - There may be Fauna on your world! It could be tame, it could be aggressive. It may even hunt you! Be careful when interacting with alien life.
  • Friends With Benefits - Sharing with the local Fauna may just have it's rewards.
  • Take Shelter! - There are various places that you can hide to escape hostile atmosphere. Caves, structures, trade posts, and your Starship.
  • Use Your Resources! - Your Exosuit, Multi-Tool, and Starship's shield can be recharged by elements you've collected.
  • Below - Better resources may exist in cave systems and further beneath the surface. But stranger and more dangerous life may exist as well.
  • Share The Load - If you're close enough to your Starship, you can teleport resources to it's inventory to allow you to carry more stuff.
timeforrepairsnas6a.png

In order to get your journey through the cosmos started, you're going to need to repair some of your gear, and that busted ship. Below are the four items that will need repair if you wanna get off this rock, and moving towards the center-

(Click to enlarge)

Click for some helpful and basic tips for your journey

4uXb.png

Click below to view a long running list of popular trailers, gameplays, demonstrations, interviews, and other information. You'll be there all day.

7uXb.png

Spoiler Thread- Please keep major spoilers out of the |OT|, and tag anything that might be spoiler-ish. Use common sense.
PC Screenshot Thread- For you high end PC users that love your super crisp beauty shots.
Day One Patch Notes Thread- The lengthy list of content and improvement to the Day one version.
Review Thread- Where people think 8.0 isn't a pretty good score for a game.
More Sci-Fi Art! Plenty of old school Science Fiction Goodness.
No Man's Sky Photo Thread!- Take your photo sharing to this thread. Just dont be a punk. Follow the rules :)
Sean Murray's Message to you.
Digital Foundry PS4 Framerate Test
What would make No Man's Sky better for you?
No Man's Sky Photo Contest!

OuXb.png

8uXb.jpg
AuXb.jpg
BuXb.png
CuXb.jpg
DuXb.png
EuXb.jpg

FuXb.jpg
GuXb.jpg
HuXb.jpg
IuXb.png
JuXb.jpg
KuXb.png

Thanks to ichtyander for the great Galactic Allied Federation logo. Thanks to Trouble for the |OT| Title.
Will continue to add content to the OT as needed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PLEASE KEEP ANY LORE, NPC DIALOGUE, GALAXY CENTER, OR STORY ELEMENTS SPOILER TAGGED.

This OT was originally created by LegacyZero.

|OT2| All Your Wildest Dreams Come True

I love just chilling in the space port watching new ships come in. I'm on the hunt for a new one and there's so many choices.

Cess007

Wow, OT2! Nice! Shame legacyzero is banned; hopefully is not perm.

Anyway, i was finally able to play an hour today, and spent all my time mining gold. I can't believe i'm having fun in doing some of the most mundane things like shooting a laser to a rock and then running back to a station to sell it lol

I just completed this process myself and thought this could be helpful for others. I still see a lot of questions in this thread in relation to ships and when to buy or find crashed ships and transfer over.

As of now it is still possible to dupe inventory items and make the necessary units that way, but this could be helpful for those who'd rather not dupe or post a future potential dupe fix. This is all information I either gathered from personal experience or with the help of posters in this thread, so thank you to the NeoGAF family for making this possible. If I'm missing something obvious or made some mistakes, let me know. The whole thing can be a bit daunting when you first start out and it is difficult to know when you should be saving or splurging your hard earned units.

-Two important things to note and why this guide might be helpful.

• The price of ships increase exponentially as one progresses through the game. You might be able to buy a 28-30 slot ship for 4-5 million but a 37 slot ship could easily cost 3x that. Rather than try and keep up with the ridiculously steep per-slot price jump, the guide below can save you a lot of time and money.
  • As you upgrade to warp reactors and better mining lasers/photon cannons, some of the ships you run into will match the "level" of your inventory and the price will increase accordingly (and dramatically). It might be better to hold off on upgrading anything above the basic Sigma warp reactor until you've bought your Upgrade 2 ship, as seen below.

As far as I know, one could theoretically skip to step 5 of this process if they wanted to just grind out crashed ships. I personally wouldn't recommend that but if you're down for a grind it should be possible. I prefered to save the ship transfer part of the guide for the end when the ship prices became unreasonable. Steps 1-4 below felt natural and gave me decent inventory space to complement my progress in the game overall.

1. Ship Upgrade 1- Purchase your first ship. This should be in the 1.5-3 million units ballpark. When you're first starting out that will seem like a lot but stick with it and save. This will be a big step up from the starter ship (or pre-order ship), obviously, but I feel it is better to make one big purchase rather than buy several incremental upgrades. It will save you money in the long run to upgrade once. The goal here is to get a ship with low to mid 20s for slot spaces.
  2. Now, save your units! [EDIT: suit slot upgrades are one thing recommended you should purchase, especially the first 10 or so which are relatively cheap] Unless you really need to buy a dynamic resonator for your hyperdrive or suspension fluid for warp fuel (you probably will), it is better to find resources or find good prices at vendors and buy low/sell high. Suit upgrades are fine, but be aware a ship slot can hold double the resources of a suit slot (500 v 250).
  3. Ship Upgrade 2- at around 5-12 million units, buy your next ship. I know that is a wide range cost-wise but trust me on this. Your mileage may vary for sellers depending on the hyperdrive and warp reactor(s) on the ships you're buying but again, one big purchase will save you a lot rather than several smaller ones. That 5-12 million may seem daunting but it will be very doable especially as you find more of the vortex cube/gravitino ball/aquasphere type planets which are great for farming.
  4. The goal here is to get in the low to mid 30s for slot space. If you can get a good bargain and get a ship with 37+ slots, all the better.

To summarize, my general strategy looked like this...
    Starter Ship (or preorder ship)---->Buy Ship Upgrade 1 [21-26 slot spaces]---->Buy Ship Upgrade 2 [31-36 slot spaces]----> Crashed Ship Transfer process

-Important Reminder- as tempting as it may be to buy small, incremental upgrade ship in between, DON'T DO IT. Buying a 22 slot ship, followed by a 24 slot ship and then a shiny 26 slot ship a few hours later is a massive waste of funds. Per-slot, ship prices increase dramatically as you progress and you're just throwing money away.

5. The final step is to find crashed vessels and transfer ships. We saved this for last because fixing up all of the systems on just one crashed ship can be a huge drain on your resources. Instead, we're only going to be fixing the basic minimum on the new ship and switching it out immediately until we hit the desired 48 slot ship. That is why I don't recommend doing just one transfer at a time with a full fix at any point in your playthrough, although you could get away with doing several very early on in the game if you so choose. Once you start transferring ships in mid-late game however, it is better just to do them all at once until you hit 48. You can ping a bunch or all (roughly 12-19 if you're following the guide) of the ships you need at the same time using the strategy below. You'll need to be in a Gek system for the following strategy to work!!! [Patched as of 1.07] You'll need to either locate transmission towers via bypass chips (recommended) or just flying around the surface of planets and finding them visually.
Credit to Stoze.[Patched as of 1.07]
Do you know about the bug/exploit with Gek transmission towers? You can re-enter the code there and just ping a shit load of ship crashes from a single transmission tower and just go from one ship to the other without stopping to trade up ships. It only works on a Gek system for whatever reason.
  • Once you've pinged all of your ships, just fly out to the closest one. The order shouldn't matter. It also doesn't matter what the ship looks like as you won't own it for long anyway. Just make sure the ship you're switching to is a +1 slot increase when transferring, every once in awhile the crashed ship might actually be a slot or two lower.

-Special Note-Before checking the ship, It is also worth investigating the crash site for beacons which can include blueprints and other valuables.

• As you transfer over, break down any upgrades from the old ship and transfer over as many valuable resources as possible. Rare elements like Omegon are a must. Also Nickel, Aluminum, Gold or Emeril which will be needed to repair or build Warp Reactors. For now, KEEP THE NEW SHIP UPGRADES INTACT. The upgrades on your current ship could possibly have an impact on the upgrades you'll find on the new ship. [note: this needs further testing, but I'd recommend waiting to break down upgrades on the new ship until you've found another vessel to swap]
  • After the transfer is complete, time to repair the necessary systems. You'll need Iron for carite sheets, you'll need 6 for each ship repair. Also Heridium and Platinum (you'll need some to fuel the launch as well) to fix your new ship just enough so it call fly. These resources are widely available on almost every planet, so if you run out you can quickly farm for whatever you need. Only the Launch Thruster and Pulse Engine need to be repaired to take off! Don't waste resources fixing anything else. Once the repairs are done, you'll be ready to fly; head to the next pinged ship. Rinse and repeat until you get a ship with 47 slots.
  • For the final 48th slot, now would be a good time to get picky and find a badass ship you won't be embarrassed to fly. I took another 40+ minutes to find one I liked but if you don't care what your ship looks like just pick whatever one you happen to come across.

The ship transferring step of the process took me around 2.5-3 hours for 13 ship swaps with another 40+ minutes for cosmetic/vanity purposes. Again, YMMV but that 2.5-3 hours is small in comparison to the grind of tens of millions of credits. My final result

Best of luck on your journey

sazzy

I love how the FIGHT gif in the OP pretty much covers the entirety of that particular gameplay mechanic in a few seconds.

Thanks again on the tips for finding crashed ships NMS-GAF.

Made some bypass chips, found some beacons, did some basic pattern recognition puzzles, and upgraded my ship twice in casual play. And no joke - make sure you've got plentiful iron and heridium on hand to make the necessary repairs. You're going to be whipping out those Carite sheets like they're candy.

Also made my first million units, followed shortly by two million from the plentiful gold crystals on Enclave, the lush and temperate forest moon I've been hanging out on the past few days.

Now that I've got a bigger ship, some units to keep me out of the poor house, and a third planet fully discovered, its time to move on to some new worlds and see what fucked up poisonous hellscapes filled with murderous sentinels await me after lounging it in paradise all this while ;p

Muzicfreq

Banned
Oh btw the star classes... are misleading
Blue stars usually have 1 planet and can be void of ALL life but have the most interesting climates and terrain formations

Unclouded

Cave systems run for miles it seems and just a eerie place to find, but in a cool way.

I was going to go for |OT2| Hello Again, but figured I should just get 'er up as-is.

Would have liked a new title, but prefer having one to not, thanks for doing the honors.

Been farming ship crashes, almost to 48 slots, time to start picking one that looks cool. then to the center I goooooo!

BizzyBum

I was trying the crashed ship technique earlier but it feels like it would take forever since most times the ship is 1 slot lower. I'm only at 20 slots currently.

Jblanks

OT2 very nice! Haven't been playing a lot the last couple days because I'm away but brought the ps4, the urges are definitely real at times.

I remember suggesting the OT title "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" for the first OT.

A quote from Carl Sagan. I was pleasantly surprised to see that quote in the game after you die.

Wok

For people into modding:

So the mod scene is starting to ramp up for those on PC, and there's already some very good ones. Here's what I'm using;

Fast Actions - No more holding down clicks or buttons for anything
Remove scanlines, CA, Vignetting
ShutUp - Remove voice warnings, can even choice between which ones you want to take out
Hi-Res Icons

The mod site is getting hammered and is super slow right now though.

No Man's Sky Mods are now available for PC to fix a lot of the crap:

Amongst many others.

Griss

Just want to get this in on the first page - the Gek are awesome, the Korvax and Viqueens can do one. They're cheerful, fun looking, resourceful. I want to join my Gek bros and
exterminate the fuck out of all other races in the galaxy.

Also, finally got my 48 slot ship tonight, and fully upgraded it. Was sad that my coolest ship (44 slots) had to be left behind, but I wasn't gonna spend all night being choosy with my 48-slotter so I picked up the first acceptable one I found.

Warped to my third system, and the first planet I go to is extreme. The weather is listed as Burning haha, and quite accurate since a storm quickly raised the temp to 284C. My hazard protection dropped to 75% in about two seconds. Extreme planets are no joke.

Would have liked a new title, but prefer having one to not, thanks for doing the honors.

Yeah, if a mod wants to change the title no problem, I just wanted to get something up since OT1 had already worn out its welcome.

Stoze

For people into modding:

Thanks for the quote. Also I should state again that the Blur/DoF filter removal that Nzyme posted is a must have. Normally the game looks so muddy on PC that people got the idea that the game isn't rendering at the right resolution (which isn't true), when this is really the culprit. The mod fixes it with no performance cost.

I think the filter was supposed to be on temporarily when starting up the game or in certain spots, but it's broken and is on all the time (or it was just carelessly glossed over). Some people with the experimental patch are saying it's noticeably clearer, so it might actually be included/fixed with the upcoming patch as well.

Griss

I found so many interesting planets near the end of my play session it was amazing. One of them was a moon so small you could see the curvature of the planet just by hovering off a hill. It had no clouds or atmosphere, so the entire horizon was the nearby planet, to the extent that I couldn't get a picture showing how cool it looked because i couldn't 'zoom out' far enough.

Then a totally forested winter planet full of hunting raptors, with a beautiful hazy lake undernearth that tiny moon from earlier. A barren tropical planet with yellow grass, massive corn sprouting everywhere and gorgeous beaches... all sorts of stuff.

Now that I've got the plat I can just chill out and see what I can see. I do get the sensation that I'm nearly done with it, though. I'm certainly not going to bother going to the centre - I have every warp drive, all linked, and progress is still insanely slow. Went through a black hole tonight and made a grand total of 600 light years progress. Not good enough, so no thanks. That Witcher 3 DLC I never got around to is starting to call out to me...

I love this game so far. Dont understand the hate.

I love the game too, but I've never played a game where it was easier to understand the hate. Sersiously, 30 minutes into it I was like 'Shit, this is right up my alley but people are going to fucking HATE this game.' As a piece of algorithmic art it's a masterpiece, as a traditional videogame it's an almost complete failure in every respect.

Tigress

Then a totally forested winter planet full of hunting raptors, with a beautiful hazy lake undernearth that tiny moon from earlier

God, I'm so jealous... I really want to find one of these. The best I found was a frozen planet but it was not forested and just barren.

Septimius

-Here is a ship progression guide I put together since I just completed this process. I still see a lot of questions in this thread in relation to ships and when to buy or find crashed ships and transfer over.

Just to clarify on something, it's not really resource-heavy to swap ships. You get in a new ship, fix the pulse drive and launch system so you can fly around, and nothing else. Also, when you're transferring from your old ship, dismantle all upgrades you can on that ship and transfer the elements to your new ship. You'll actually be gaining resources like copper and iridium.

pip77

I finally got a planet/moon that has extreme conditions. Inyarostrez has extreme toxic conditions with frequent storms. The good thing was that I had the starter toxic and 2nd level toxic protection equipped. I'm going to stay on this particular moon to get the extreme survival milestones.

I also found Calium on Inyarostrez:
LrtraWM.png

The main planet in the system is this wintery place:

Vx9j2K2.png

Kadayi

Banned
Now that I've got a bigger ship, some units to keep me out of the poor house, and a third planet fully discovered, its time to move on to some new worlds and see what fucked up poisonous hellscapes filled with murderous sentinels await me after lounging it in paradise all this while ;p

^ So true. My start world is super lush, loads of resources, zero hostile animals. I'm just duking around, mining, learning words, taking screens and upping equipment.

Karma no doubt means my next world is going to be a hellscape.

CA5CDE102F5159CDEFC855404DA974D3CA0BCA4F

Just to clarify on something, it's not really resource-heavy to swap ships. You get in a new ship, fix the pulse drive and launch system so you can fly around, and nothing else. Also, when you're transferring from your old ship, dismantle all upgrades you can on that ship and transfer the elements to your new ship. You'll actually be gaining resources like copper and iridium.
Yup. I covered these exact things.

As you transfer over, break down any upgrades from the old ship and transfer over as many valuable resources as possible (rare elements like Omegon. Also Nickel, Aluminum, Gold or Emeril which will be needed to repair or build Warp Reactors).
After the transfer is complete, you'll only need Iron (for carite sheets, you'll need 6 for each ship repair), Heridium and Platinum (you'll need some to fuel the launch as well) to fix your new ship just enough so it call fly (only the Launch Thruster and Pulse Engine).
...we're only going to be fixing the basic minimum on the new ship and switching it out immediately...

Just transferring ships isn't resource intensive in and of itself. It fixing all the existing systems on the new ship which can drain a lot of resources. Which is why I recommend doing several or all of your ship transfers/upgrades in a row while just fixing Launch Thrusters and Pulse engines to get you to the next ship.

Septimius

Yup. I covered these exact things.

Just transferring ships isn't resource intensive in and of itself. It fixing all the existing systems on the new ship which can drain a lot of resources. Which is why I recommend doing several or all of your ship transfers/upgrades in a row while just fixing Launch Thrusters and Pulse engines to get you to the next ship.

Aha, I missed that :)

I ran into a similar issue, a skyscraper of emerge that I couldn't mine through the core but could mine seemingly downward infinitely. Feel through the map, where apparently there is invisible water and was unable to clip back through

Also thread title suggestion

No man's sky OT - The Sky might fall, but we're not worried at all

Lunar FC

So I've got a 20 slot ship currently and have saved up 6.5 mil to upgrade. I'm not seeing anything over 29 slots. Am I going to have to get a 29 slot ship in order to see higher ones?

Wow, found a planet where sentinels will attack you just for scanning things.

But...it has gravitino balls scattered around everywhere.

I'll be farming here for a while xD

Land, grab 3/4 spheres, take the fuck off. Do this 15/20 times (in 10/15 minutes), then go to bank.

Cash!!

BigDug13

I've been searching merchants for days and nobody seems to sell Omegon. Creatures only poop out a little bit on a super rare frequency so that's not a good answer either. Where can I get some Omegon?

Top Bottom