• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Jiraiza

Plenty of people have theorized that or similar.
The cannons did fire but Kea changed the worldline. I'm on the side that is only a coincidence though, I don't see them repeating the same twist
And I agree, it was the best twist of the duology (and probably the saga) for me

I think it makes perfect sense when you think about it. The entire twist is basically contingent on the player knowing what happened in Crossbell. The Cold Steel series was meant to rope in new players into the universe, so it's not a big deal if they don't realize the significance of Millium and Crow being omitted in the prologue. But if you went into it as a veteran, it's just so egregious of a similarity with the opening of Zero that it has to be deliberate. And if you further take into account KeA's ability to change cause and effect, it certainly is within the realms of possibility that Rean and company meeting Crow and Millium was a side effect of KeA wanting the SSS to get involved with Estelle, Joshua, and Renne.

Man, such a great twist. I love it. But what hit me the hardest is the realization that there's a timeline where the SSS are actually dead. I doubt the games will ever bother with timeline fuckery, but it's just sad thinking about it. And the hardest hitting part was the final illustration with Randy on his knees. I imagine the implication is that he was the last one to go since he was the strongest in the group, but he basically had to see Lloyd, Tio, and Elie die and he couldn't do anything about it. That final pose spoke so much volume. Rough stuff, man.

Nice. The twist in Ao still has me shook. If I had to compare it to something, it's on the same level I felt when I finished Automata earlier in the year.

Ao/CS1 spoilers:
Am I correct in thinking that the opening scenes of CS1 at Garellia Fortress is directly related, as far as how the scenario is concerned, to what KeA did at the beginning of Zero?

Sen iii is
apparently opening the same way.

Man, such a great twist. I love it. But what hit me the hardest is the realization that there's a timeline where the SSS are actually dead. I doubt the games will ever bother with timeline fuckery, but it's just sad thinking about it. And the hardest hitting part was the final illustration with Randy on his knees. I imagine the implication is that he was the last one to go since he was the strongest in the group, but he basically had to see Lloyd, Tio, and Elie die and he couldn't do anything about it. That final pose spoke so much volume. Rough stuff, man.

Yes, it also hit me really hard. Ellie and Tio seemingly died close to each other, Lloyd probably didn't have time to react, and Randy survived but probably fell to despair. But even if the consequences of the twist itself were hard to accept, I really liked how the SSS admit that even if they don't want to die that way, Kea shouldn't be changing the world like that.

And then there's Renne's arc and Joshua and Estelle presence. At the final dungeon of Zero I thought they didn't appear at the beginning for weak reasons like not wanting to spoil the surprise. I honestly don't like when a story begins with sneak peek of the future, it happened with FFXV last year which I thought it was a great mistake. But with Zero/Ao? You have one of the best gaming twist there, and perfectly written along with an open character's arc for the series.

As for Cold Steel. I still in going to hold for now that in that game it was really a sneak peek and nothing else. Honestly it would be much better if that isn't the case, but I'm open for surprises.
Edit: Did you got to see Demiurge's special "game over" move?

Sen iii is
apparently opening the same way.

O wow.

I like how every other day they have to tweet “not a game tease” and some people manage to answer with “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”

That twitter account is dead to me though, pitting cats against Anton in the same poll was pure evil.

Thud

I like how every other day they have to tweet “not a game tease” and some people manage to answer with “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”

That twitter account is dead to me though, pitting cats against Anton in the same poll was pure evil.

Poor anton can't catch a break.

I like how every other day they have to tweet ”not a game tease" and some people manage to answer with ”so you're saying there's a chance?"

Isn't that so appropriate for Anton, though? :3

I didn't think it was, but it seems like you can't post anything without someone thinking you're teasing something.

"That post about Senran Kagura contained the letters 'a' and 'o', XSEED is teasing Ao!"

Yeah, I'm getting used to that. All I can do is try and keep things up front (even if I'm not believed). Won't stop me from using funny cat brochures!

sbs2601

Neo Member
Man, such a great twist. I love it. But what hit me the hardest is the realization that there's a timeline where the SSS are actually dead. I doubt the games will ever bother with timeline fuckery, but it's just sad thinking about.

(Zero/Ao)
That timeline has already been terminated by KeA; that universe doesn't exist anymore

Jiraiza

(Zero/Ao)
That timeline has already been terminated by KeA; that universe doesn't exist anymore

I guess it depends on whether
timelines work on the same concept as say, Steins;Gate. I don't think they really explored the concept all that extensively in Ao, so the possibility is still there, maybe?

Whole different can of worms if they choose to even think about exploring that idea, though.

To clarify my post, per famitsu:

"You start the game in a seaside fortress, two months into the storyline - in June. As the students of the Thors Branch School make their way down the road, 'The Society's' orbal weaponry* and further fearsome enemies appear before the party. The scene ends and returns to April, leaving the player to wonder what was about to happen next."

When it comes to Zero, there were story reasons that were also attributed to this. But for all three games, it's more or less a means of telling the player "things are going to seriously ramp up!" and getting the player interested in what leads up to that event from the beginning.

Edited. *
Orbal Robots? Robotic Weapons? War Machines? "Archaisms?"

I guess it depends on whether
timelines work on the same concept as say, Steins;Gate. I don't think they really explored the concept all that extensively in Ao, so the possibility is still there, maybe?

Whole different can of worms if they choose to even think about exploring that idea, though.

Yes I'm also thinking of that series when it comes to Ao.
I guess it's because in both the twists and what they leave behind is usually sad and tragic.

Also, saw your post above about that trailer. I don't know if you have seen it, but the crazy trailer is this one. Spoilers for Ao everywhere.

"You start the game in a seaside fortress, six months into the storyline."

When it comes to Zero, there were story reasons that were also attributed to this. But for all three games, it's more or less a means of telling the player "things are going to seriously ramp up!" and getting the player interested in what leads up to that event from the beginning.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Well it's only a few days out of reach and then when we can begin to know what exactly is going on :p

Gu4n

"You start the game in a seaside fortress, six months into the storyline."

Not six months, the sixth month: june. So-- (Sen III guess/spoilers, I guess)
- April: Field study to Parm
- May: Field study to Crossbell (?)
- June: Field study to Ordis/Juno

Just saw the demo being played again, theres a dedicated tab for the costumes now, wonder how many will end up being in game/unlockable and how many we'll see as DLC, if I remember correctly there were quite a few costumes we didn't get in the US.

Nyoro SF

My copy of the game won't be arriving until about 3-4 days after launch. Hope all you digital guys spoil tag everything properly as you 24/7 the game!

Any plans for a Sen III import OT?

Not a bad idea. Would literally be black bars the thread or maybe it could be open spoilers.

Thud

Ys VIII has been good in taking my mind of this game. When the full animated opening is on youtube, I'll probably watch that for a year or two.

Falcom openings, so good.

MSMrRound

Anyone know if Falcom/Playstation said anything about a Chinese version of Sen III yet?

Given that Sen II Japanese/Chinese launched together on the same day last time, I'm kind of worried that I haven't really heard much news about it yet.

Anyone know if Falcom/Playstation said anything about a Chinese version of Sen III yet?

Given that Sen II Japanese/Chinese launched together on the same day last time, I'm kind of worried that I haven't really heard much news about it yet.

I haven’t seen anything about the KR version (which also came out with Chinese/Japanese Sen II), so probably not.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to play it in Japanese.......

Rhapsody

Banned
I think it makes perfect sense when you think about it. The entire twist is basically contingent on the player knowing what happened in Crossbell. The Cold Steel series was meant to rope in new players into the universe, so it's not a big deal if they don't realize the significance of Millium and Crow being omitted in the prologue. But if you went into it as a veteran, it's just so egregious of a similarity with the opening of Zero that it has to be deliberate. And if you further take into account KeA's ability to change cause and effect, it certainly is within the realms of possibility that Rean and company meeting Crow and Millium was a side effect of KeA wanting the SSS to get involved with Estelle, Joshua, and Renne.

I don't think it's a coincidence either (this is Kiseki after all, coincidences are
a rarity). Even in Ao, KeA has doubts when she lays eyes on Orchis Tower from what I remember. After the events that take place there, I think that's what causes KeA to finally join in with the plan so she can better protect the SSS. I really do think she used her power again at that point of the story.

Although I can't say I remember if KeA is able to see those events before they happen or only after. It's been awhile for me.

Per Zero-Ao, they could always change the title and still make it a direct continuation. Like Trails of Gun Breaker or something.

You know, because the one wielding the cold steel is dead.

Jiraiza

38JvjfI.jpg

FASTER!

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i started learning japanese at the beginning of the year purely because of kiseki, even knowing that will take at least +3~4 till i reach acceptable levels (i imagine kiseki aren't the easiest games to read)

at least maybe i'll be ready for next game

edit: it's gonna be hard to wait for the english release

It blows me away how much work they put into
Crossbell in Sen II. I guess they originally intended to reuse them for a vita/PS3 Sen III?

Time to dig around then, buster! I remember him saying he was given the chance to split the game in two instalments, but not that he actually did not.

It does seem to imply it didn't happen ...

I have no intention of clicking the trophy list to give me a clearer idea of how the story will play out, but I suppose the lack of a Sen IV wouldn't necessarily mean a clear ending to Sen III this time around. Crossbell is right next to Calvard and a cliffhanger ending in Sen III could easily be followed up in a Calvard game with a perspective change.

Gu4n

I don't even know where I'd begin to look, I have trouble finding most Kondo interviews. I definitely remember that it was from some months back, at least.
It would be weird to confirm Sen III as the final Erebonia game only be extremely vague about it around the release. 2ch has been discussing the possibility of a fourth Sen game up until this morning as well.

preta

It would be weird to confirm Sen III as the final Erebonia game only be extremely vague about it around the release. 2ch has been discussing the possibility of a fourth Sen game up until this morning as well.

Well, that's why I had been taking his comments that he had given permission to go ahead on Sen IV to implicitly mean that it ultimately didn't happen that way.

Top Bottom