• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New screenshots

-Deimos

Looked at the screenshots and assumed they were last gen. Then I realized this isn't releasing on last gen. Now I'm worried.

Oh, man. People questioning their pre-orders because the game doesn't look as good as the second coming of Christ. Too good. Can't wait for this game, no matter what it looks like. I just need that 1080/60 and I'm good to go.

Striek

So bizarre. Somehow has pulled the feat of looking worse than any of the previous screenshots from the recent builds. Must be the console version or without certain settings on. Will have to ask Kinley about it.

I've been following the new screenshots and renders of late and that hilt in the second shot for example is definitely not from any of them (apart from the obvious model differences). It's literally a plain, smoothed circle in these screens. Certainly a far cry from this first shot for example:

To be fair, that first shot is an incredibly oversharpened bullshot.

TCRS

Banned
absolutely gorgeous. I need this game but this is a winter game for me. I think I'll wait till autumn/winter 2015.

Coreda

To be fair, that first shot is an incredibly oversharpened bullshot.

Take even any of the previously released screenshots and they still look better, although the enhanced shots aren't too dissimilar to the level of detail of the in-game shots. And yeah, it's a bit annoying how sharpened the things they release are, especially when you want to cut them out for assets :p

I love the colours and the sense of scale, but don't think those screenshots are as detailed as some we've seen previously. Do we know if this is on console, compared to what I'm assuming all PC footage we've seen previously?

Anaxymenes

Neo Member
it looks like many gaffers are painting CDP as some magical dev studio with only the best of interests of the gamers in mind. Trust me they are not. The bullshitting with the Witcher 3 started from day 1. PR is creating an overblown vision of a game that doesn't exist while the team is in crazy crunch time for over a year now. There's some bad shit going on that if GAF knew GAF would not like.

Leb

it looks like many gaffers are painting CDP as some magical dev studio with only the best of interests of the gamers in mind. Trust me they are not. The bullshitting with the Witcher 3 started from day 1. PR is creating an overblown vision of a game that doesn't exist while the team is in crazy crunch time for over a year now. There's some bad shit going on that if GAF knew GAF would not like.

It's pretty well established that extraordinary claims require no particular evidence whatsoever, so this anecdote stands as a pretty damning indictment of CDPR and the Witcher 3.

I see a lot of people are only interested in this because of the graphics. With everything this franchise has to offer in terms of lore, characters, world, player choice/consequence, etc, this makes me pretty sad.

Chobel

Do you have some insider knowledge or what?

Danielsan

Might just be me, but it looks a lot like The Witcher 2 to me. Then again, I've never really been impressed with the footage outside of the well produced trailers. Let's just hope the character animation is better this time. Geralt moved around like a stilted puppet in 2.

TCRS

Banned

well tell us.

Coreda

The bullshitting with the Witcher 3 started from day 1. PR is creating an overblown vision of a game that doesn't exist while the team is in crazy crunch time for over a year now. There's some bad shit going on that if GAF knew GAF would not like.

Naturally I can't tell you about my super sekrit insider knowledge.

My favorite type of post.

Anaxymenes

Neo Member
It's pretty well established that extraordinary claims require no particular evidence whatsoever, so this anecdote stands as a pretty damning indictment of CDPR and the Witcher 3.

Well in the end it's my words vs CDP PR. I mean why should You belive my if I have no solid evidence to show? But that's kind of my point, CDP build a very good realationship with gamers and now it's paying off as oppose to say EA. I do have inside knowledge, I did have contact with the game but again NDA and such plus I'm just a dude on the internet. my only point is that GAF should take everything CDP says with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Just to some up my messy line of thinking - don't preorder tha game (especially on consols) wait for the reviews, then decide or don't pay attention to a random dude on the internet and do what you want with your money.

Kezen

Banned
Well in the end it's my words vs CDP PR. I mean why should You belive my if I have no solid evidence to show? But that's kind of my point, CDP build a very good realationship with gamers and now it's paying off as oppose to say EA. I do have inside knowledge, I did have contact with the game but again NDA and such plus I'm just a dude on the internet. my only point is that GAF should take everything CDP says with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Just to some up my messy line of thinking - don't preorder tha game (especially on consols) wait for the reviews, then decide or don't pay attention to a random dude on the internet and do what you want with your money.

Okay.

Leb

Well, at the very least, you've established that you're a Pole given your capitalization of 'you.' A polite people, the Poles are.

Are you suggesting that the game is going to be a mess? In particular the console versions? Is that due to lack of power? And is that the reason for the delay? And CDPR has been bullshitting all this time about how development is going and how well their ambitions are being realised?

PR saying their game is great and fantastic?
Game development of a AAA game with crunch time?

I don't know what's more pathetic, that you believe the game is bad and just smoke and mirrors, or believing that PR saying their game great is super good and crunch time is unusual or a bad signal.
Let's put ourselves in the case that they game is factually great, in the end. Do you think then they wouldn't have a marketing campaign or no crunch?

Taij

Are you suggesting that the game is going to be a mess? In particular the console versions? Is that due to lack of power? And is that the reason for the delay? And CDPR has been bullshitting all this time about how development is going and how well their ambitions are being realised?

I'm not that person (clearly) but if I were you I wouldn't preorder a console version of the game. CDPR is a PC developer, their engine was designed for PCs and their developers have most experience on PC. They put The Witcher 2 onto 360 only after a lot of work hacking the engine to hell to get it to run. On top of all that TW3 is by far the most ambitious game they have tried and they are going for simultaneous cross platform release. So while I'm not saying that the game is going to be a mess, I would be cautious about expecting the console release to be flawless (especially the ps4 version).

If you want the PC version and have a powerful PC then history should tell you to be confident that CDPR will iron out any issues and make things better over time, but they are still largely unproven on console which is why I'm waiting to get the PS4 version until I see how it turns out.

Also of course they have been bullshitting about how development has been going. How would consumers react if they said "well we haven't figured out how to get it to run on PS4 yet but don't worry, we'll get there."

I see a lot of people are only interested in this because of the graphics. With everything this franchise has to offer in terms of lore, characters, world, player choice/consequence, etc, this makes me pretty sad.

I'm not disagreeing with you but the truth here is that our chosen hobby is first and foremost a visual medium and people like me enjoy eye candy quite a lot but i can live without it if the game is really great but i honestly like my games to be great at the mechanics and the visuals as well.

Kezen

Banned
I'm not that person (clearly) but if I were you I wouldn't preorder a console version of the game. CDPR is a PC developer, their engine was designed for PCs and their developers have most experience on PC. They put The Witcher 2 onto 360 only after a lot of work hacking the engine to hell to get it to run. On top of all that TW3 is by far the most ambitious game they have tried and they are going for simultaneous cross platform release. So while I'm not saying that the game is going to be a mess, I would be cautious about expecting the console release to be flawless (especially the ps4 version).

If you want the PC version and have a powerful PC then history should tell you to be confident that CDPR will iron out any issues and make things better over time, but they are still largely unproven on console which is why I'm waiting to get the PS4 version until I see how it turns out.

Also of course they have been bullshitting about how development has been going. How would consumers react if they said "well we haven't figured out how to get it to run on PS4 yet but don't worry, we'll get there."

I would question the part about "designed for PC". CDP are a multiplatform developper so the logical conclusion is that they aim for a game shippable on all 3 platforms, that means tech has been created to map well to PC/PS4/XBO. I don't think consoles will suffer much, The Witcher 3 will still be a good experience on those platforms and the Xbox One footage looks very good.

Obviously, max PC settings will look better in a number of areas but that's par for the course (already) on PC.

Zarx

They had insane crunch for the the first two games so that isn't a surprise. And they delayed it for a reason. Also when did you see it? Most games come in pretty hot until the last couple months of development so I wouldn't take even a current build as indicative of what the game will ship like.

And taking PR with a grain of salt should be standard practice for everyone about all PR.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm not disagreeing with you but the truth here is that our chosen hobby is first and foremost a visual medium and people like me enjoy eye candy quite a lot but i can live without it if the game is really great but i honestly like my games to be great at the mechanics and the visuals as well.

Our chosen hobby is first and foremost an interactive medium.

Mate, by the sounds of it, I've been gaming for a lot longer than you and our hobby is not "first and foremost" a visual medium. It never was.

Donkey Kong and Pacman still shit it in in the gameplay department and that is all that matters.

First and foremost.

Asbear

Banned
Wii U version confirmed

iN5b2cypZdMmj.png

image_64644.jpg

I can't believe I laughed when I saw people screaming and yelling over how amazing Zelda U looked... but in hindsight... well, eh. My main comparison seems a bit unconvincing at best.

Axial

Without any proof to support your claims, all I can say to this is:
Opowieści z mojej dupy.

Taij

I would question the part about "designed for PC". CDP are a multiplatform developper so the logical conclusion is that they aim for a game shippable on all 3 platforms...

I have a decent amount of experience in the area and there is a big difference in the engine architecture at a developer who takes consoles into mind from the very beginning and one who is only worried about PC. CDPR started their engine after The Witcher and their lead engine programmer was very much a PC centric programmer. As such their engine is very much a "PC first engine" and to get things to run on console they have to turn off and hack up a lot of things. Now in the last couple of years they know that they have to release on console so the current tech team takes that into account when working on features, but they aren't rewriting all of the code that had years of PC focus so you get what you get.

And yes they will aim for a game shippable on all 3 platforms, obviously they're not going to release a game that doesn't run, but it's going to be more than a simple resolution difference and no fancy fur. They will have to turn a lot of things off to get it running on console and I won't be surprised if there are major issues walking around areas like Novigrad. But maybe I will be wrong and it will surpass expectations. I will be playing the game so being wrong won't make me upset at all.

Our chosen hobby is first and foremost an interactive medium.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We're not looking at paintings or watching movies. What a weird thing to say.

I also want my games to look good but the Witcher universe is, in my opinion, one of the richest, most fascinating worlds we get to experience in a game and seeing people questioning their purchase because the fur doesn't look as good as they'd hoped is truly saddening for me.

TW2 is one of the most impressive games on the 360, getting that version of the game to run like it does was a huge accomplishment on CDPR's part so if anything you shouldn't be dissmissing their console development skills but praising them.
This time things should actually be smoother for them because they have console development in mind from the start.

Denton

Gotta love attention whoring juniors who enter the thread with Tales From Their Ass and expect anyone to take it seriously. Either put up, or shut up.

Sentenza

Gotta love attention whoring juniors who enter the thread with Tales From Their Ass and expect anyone to take it seriously. Either put up, or shut up.
Oh, come on. While I'm a bit skeptic as well, there's no reason to automatically assume he's deliberately trying to mislead people cause of "attention whoring". Maybe he actually knows something relevant.

Of course, subjectively I have to say that if his concern are about the quality of console ports, that's nothing I'm particularly interested about.
But if he knows something about how the game itself will probably disappoint people ("a game that doesn't exist") I'd like to have some details.

Oh, come on. While I'm a bit skeptic as well, there's no reason to automatically assume he's deliberately trying to mislead people. Maybe he actually know something relevant.

of course, subjectively I have to say that if his concern are about the quality of console ports, that's nothing I'm particularly interested about.
But if he knows something about how the game will probably disappoint people I'd like to have some details.

Problem is you wont be getting them, which makes his post worthless and unnecessary to begin with.

Head.spawn

Wow, wake up in the morning and all if a sudden you have insiders and experts all over the place.

"Be weary of the console version!"
Umm.. they've already shown live gameplay footage on the weaker of the two consoles. It didn't look like a reason to cancel a preorder.

Weird vibe in here.

Of all the things it is the animation that needs addressing. It was stilted and felt out of place. I also felt that combat suffered due to it.

Denton

Oh, come on. While I'm a bit skeptic as well, there's no reason to automatically assume he's deliberately trying to mislead people cause of "attention whoring". Maybe he actually knows something relevant.

Of course, subjectively I have to say that if his concern are about the quality of console ports, that's nothing I'm particularly interested about.
But if he knows something about how the game itself will probably disappoint people ("a game that doesn't exist") I'd like to have some details.
That's all well and good, but it is obvious he has no intention of elaborating and giving any kind of proof. The post is just worthless attempt at stirring some kind of controversy.

BBboy20

While I don't agree that they are anywhere close to the cartoony stylized designs of WoW, they definitely aren't given enough resource priority to be so closely featured in screenshot promos.

While Metal Gear 5's DD is a central character and probably deserves more resource allocation, you can't help but notice the stark difference in texture resolution and polygon count. It's kind of hard to go back after seeing better, but I feel that way with a lot of games that try for a more realistic approach to their art direction.

metal-gear-solid-v-ddz7j7o.jpg
Ever since Ground Zeroes, I've been paying attention to current-gen games on rather they have shadowing on their ground foliage. So far as I've seen, Final Fantasy XV been displaying that.

Taij

Wow, wake up in the morning and all if a sudden you have insiders and experts all over the place.

"Be weary of the console version!"
Umm.. they've already shown live gameplay footage on the weaker of the two consoles. It didn't look like a reason to cancel a preorder.

Weird vibe in here.

I assume I am one of the people (or attention whoring juniors) these are directed at, so I apologize for offering an opinion and offending the gaf superiors. I will quell my urges to have a discussion, go back to lurking and try not to offend the hive mind.

Maybe this will be a more constructive post:

WOOT! It looks amazing! Next year can't come soon enough!

Coreda

I assume I am one of the people (or attention whoring juniors) these are directed at, so I apologize for offering an opinion and offending the gaf superiors. I will quell my urges to have a discussion, go back to lurking and try not to offend the hive mind.

fwiw the second quote is clearly referring to Anaxymenes' post, not your own, and the first quote is is a valid opinion. Anyone can state their opinions, it's a discussion after all. I'd be wary of dropping hive mind statements around however, just for something a poster may disagree with.

Kezen

Banned

I don't think he was referring to you. You're overreacting.

PFD

I mean, we all expected the console versions to have inferior graphics since the day the game was announced. I don't understand this new wave of insider info and "conspiracy" talk

Anaxymenes

Neo Member

Since I have a daily post ration of 0.07 I'm clearly an attention whore. I felt like I could share something I knew with my fellow gaffers since clearly some of you have objections to the state of the game. Guess I'll take your advice kind sir and will shut up. See you in February.

Top Bottom