• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump escalating his language about NKorea, "calm before storm" coming to end?

He's starting to sound like Shooter McGavin.

shooter.gif

Is this not explicitly against Twitter TOS?

"Violent threats (direct or indirect): You may not make threats of violence or promote violence, including threatening or promoting terrorism. "

https://support.twitter.com/articles/18311

Unfortunately twitter makes an apparent exception for subjects and/or persons they feel are important for people to to be kept informed on, and since this is the President of the United States, he unfortunately qualifies by default.

There over 100,000 Americans in the region (civilians, military family members, non-essential personnel) who would have to be evacuated or sheltered before a shooting war with the DPRK because of its conventional second strike capabilities.

You'd also need to do a lot of mobilizing logistics, communications and reserves and that, as far as I can tell, isn't happening yet.

It's all rhetoric so far.

POTUS tweets are considered "newsworthy," and thus exempt from the rules in the TOS.

What the fuck... really?

Yeah. People should stop wondering if Twitter would give a ban to Trump for breaking their rules.

Edit: And honestly, it's not like the place isn't a cesspool of people who already break those rules.

LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT when the POTUS is using the platform to basically threaten military action.

SoulUnison

Banned
North Korea finally got someone dumb enough to swing for the fences when "playing ball," and I bet they couldn't be happier.

He's basically legitimizing decades of their propaganda with his hard-on for military action and constant petty bullying on the world stage.

Auraela

Banned
Trumps whole premise is why does America have all this military etc n he feels half the arsenal is being wasted n wants to use it

Tovarisc

Reuters
U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday said “only one thing will work” in dealing with North Korea after previous administrations had talked to Pyongyang without results.
Trump did not make clear to what he was referring, but his comments seemed to be a further suggestion that military action was on his mind.

The president has previously said the United States would “totally destroy” North Korea if necessary to protect itself and its allies from Pyongyang’s nuclear threats.
White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders referred to Iran and North Korea the following day when asked about Trump’s comments.

Asked on Saturday about Trump’s tweet, the Pentagon said the Defense Department’s job was to “present the president military options and carry out orders.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...hing-will-work-with-north-korea-idUSKBN1CC0PN

jelly

You think the economic instability that would result from a full blown, possibly nuclear, war in the heart of Asia is something any rich person would want?

It's one way to wipe debts and make US number 1 is what Trump probably thinks and then you have an unsettled Middle East, Europe and Asia. Genius.

I don't think it crosses their minds honestly. They make the same mistakes over and over. They'll be thinking their military is shit hot, war will be over quickly, no ripples afterwards. Easy win.

Which is all bollocks but many leaders and countries don't learn from history.

If the US goes to war with NK, I guarantee you that Americans worldwide will become even more unpopular than they already are, which is a huge feat, if a nuke is used, well.....

Here we go...

ljTHVBY.jpg

Yeah, motherfucker is gonna destroy at least two countries, wreck our standing on the international stage and kickstart one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the 21st century just because he wants his poll numbers to go up. Motherfucker is the worst Bond villain since the dude from Tomorrow Never Dies.

jelly

The most obvious solution to NK is for China to give them nothing, especially oil. They've made some moves, we will see how it goes. Also if there was a war, China would roll in so fast and I imagine NK regime loyalists would surrender instantly or try to kill Kim asap.

If we strike first and China backs North Korea (As they have stated they would in an America Strikes First situation) that's World War 3 coupled with a global economic crisis right there.

The most obvious solution to NK is for China to give them nothing, especially oil. They've made some moves, we will see how it goes. Also if there was a war, China would roll in so fast and I imagine NK regime loyalists would surrender instantly or try to kill Kim asap.

China wouldn’t be fighting NK if conflict happens, they aren’t our ally in this.

compo

Banned
I suspect that as stupid as this guy is, he has at least figured out that saying a bunch of stupid shit on twitter is a convenient deflection from his larger controversies, like Russia and Puerto Rico. Hopefully that's just what all this is.

And bitches like James Woolsey and Mike Rogers believe wholeheartedly that this fool would be a better president over Clinton.

snoop.png

North Korea finally got someone dumb enough to swing for the fences when "playing ball," and I bet they couldn't be happier.

He's basically legitimizing decades of their propaganda with his hard-on for military action and constant petty bullying on the world stage.

Right? Trump doesn’t even need to press a single button for Kim to justify to his people that they should strike before we do

Demoskinos

South Korea will be the real victims here and nobody in that administration gives a fuck. Hell, I doubt Trump knows the difference.

Xando

Can’t believe there’s gonna be a major war with huge economic crisis just because the US can’t get rid of this dumbass they elected

MIMIC

Banned
Is this not explicitly against Twitter TOS?

"Violent threats (direct or indirect): You may not make threats of violence or promote violence, including threatening or promoting terrorism. "

https://support.twitter.com/articles/18311

Yeah it's Trump, but I don't see how this policy could reasonably apply to federal government officials....especially a U.S. President. We could very well be in an armed conflict and the government (Trump, via Twitter) could announce intentions to do A, B, and C in country X.

This policy obviously wasn't created with every type of user in mind. Maybe if Trump was speaking in his personal capacity....but speaking for the government? There's clearly going to be an exception.

Can’t believe there’s gonna be a major war with huge economic crisis just because the US can’t get rid of this dumbass they elected

Do you live in the US? I do. As far as I know, I have no ability to do a thing now but watch. Obligatory "I didn't vote for him" and further "neither did my state."

Neith

Banned

No war has started yet at least. I think it depends on if NK starts launching more nukes.

WaterAstro

No one knows what it means.

All we know is that Trump is pissed off that Rex Tillerson got more coverage than him lately, so this might just be some stupid shit he's pulling off just to get publicity.

slider

I expect DPRK will test again in the next couple of weeks. And I expect China will be very wary of any US (forward leaning) presence as close as the Korean peninsula.

Maengun1

I know it's been said before, but one thing you can say about Trump is he's pretty effectively disproven every government conspiracy theory of all time. Like yeah, the secret shadow illuminati cabal just ~had~ to take JFK out, but they're fine with Trump threatening nuclear war over fucking twitter on a daily basis.

There is definitively nothing going on behind the scenes. Enough states voted for literally one of the dumbest people in the country, and here we are.

Top Bottom